Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151962 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #510 on: May 15, 2019, 03:37:49 AM »
Expand Quote
nah its a square thin rail

honestly when i was standing on it and pushing i was basically just winging it and doing both types of lock ins but i feel like cross would be easier. i was treating it just like a 5050 on a ledge but one of my friends told me to try and land a bit lighter to avoid flipping which in retrospect probably didnt help. ill def try the opposite pressure thing for sure.
[close]

you realize you have to grind this thing for all of us now! that shit looks to good

yeah im gonna try my best, i think im gonna try and just pop onto it from standing still and get used to landing on it and stalling it out just to get used to locking into it as i reckon if i can just get to the point of locking in then i can definitely grind the whole thing as chucking it on and balancing was no issue.

we have alot of random spots like that dotted around, we stumbled upon these not too long back. unfortunately theres posts sticking up in the middle but one of my friends scraped a 5050 on it.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #511 on: May 15, 2019, 05:25:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
nah its a square thin rail

honestly when i was standing on it and pushing i was basically just winging it and doing both types of lock ins but i feel like cross would be easier. i was treating it just like a 5050 on a ledge but one of my friends told me to try and land a bit lighter to avoid flipping which in retrospect probably didnt help. ill def try the opposite pressure thing for sure.
[close]

you realize you have to grind this thing for all of us now! that shit looks to good
[close]

yeah im gonna try my best, i think im gonna try and just pop onto it from standing still and get used to landing on it and stalling it out just to get used to locking into it as i reckon if i can just get to the point of locking in then i can definitely grind the whole thing as chucking it on and balancing was no issue.

we have alot of random spots like that dotted around, we stumbled upon these not too long back. unfortunately theres posts sticking up in the middle but one of my friends scraped a 5050 on it.

It's so, so much easier to balance while you're moving and I know it's an old skateboarding trope but faster is better. Hopping from a stand still is a harder dumber different trick that won't connect back to what you're trying to do. I know you think it'll work it out in your brain and will suddenly click, but it won't and you're kind of stalling for time.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #512 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:05 AM »
thanks for the advice, those blue rails i mentioned above my friend 50'd he did the whole pop on from standing shit. ill figure it out i guess, just in 10 years or so of skating on and off i'd somehow never skated a rail. for some reason theres a distinct lack of them around here

sceatmon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #513 on: May 17, 2019, 05:41:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Also this is slightly irrelevant but I found that once I learned dolphin flips (as a joke I know it's a lame trick) my backside flips folded a lot better and were more consistent.
[close]

I wish I was good enough to learn tricks as jokes.  Seems like a luxurious lifestyle.

lmao my little brother used to watch chris chann all the time and said it was the "hardest trick in the world" and that he was gonna learn it. It was actually pretty easy and got in down in a couple hours tops, had to do it to fuck with him haha

Rein

• Rep: -20
« Reply #514 on: May 17, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
Kickflips.

This sounds like bragging, but my kickflips are almost 2 feet high when I do them and it pisses me off when I want to do them into grinds or slides. It works for 5050s, 5-0s and manuals, but it's almost impossible to do them into a trick on the nose. I can't practice flip fs boards without feeling like I'm going to snap my deck in half each try. It takes so much effort to flip it lower and with a fast flick and I still feel like I have no control over them.

One day I land kickflips like 9 out of 10 tries, the next day it's 1/20. Fucking pisses me off. It's the easiest and hardest trick in skateboarding at the same time.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #515 on: May 18, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m the opposite. My tre flips flip but rarely rotate the full 360. Halp.
[close]

You might be instinctively opening up your shoulders as you pop, when you shouldn't. Think of it as the same problem as kids who can only land kickflips if they turn their body with it. Keep your upper body in check and make sure you don't jump out of your original stance once you've popped (because that's pretty much what the problem is).
[close]

Shoulders are every thing
[close]

Also your hips. Usually people turn their hips when they turn their shoulders, then they correct their shoulders but still open up their hips. Stay put.

You guys might be on to something here. I was landing a few while being conscious of this.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #516 on: May 18, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »
Backside flips have come and gone my whole life. I had em down fully as a teenager but not any more.

Anyone deal with that shit where instead of flipping it wraps around your front foot like a half ass front foot impossible? Make it stop.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #517 on: May 18, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
Backside flips have come and gone my whole life. I had em down fully as a teenager but not any more.

Anyone deal with that shit where instead of flipping it wraps around your front foot like a half ass front foot impossible? Make it stop.

That happens to my friend a lot because he's trying to 180 a kickflip instead of kickflip a 180.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #518 on: May 18, 2019, 05:56:09 PM »
sounds like you apply to much downforce and extra shove rotation with your front foot while flicking. maybe try to stay lighter on it and try to consistently flick more outwards. i have this problem a lot as well but when i focus on this i usually get them down for the session. what also helps me to keep the flick cleaner and more or less under me is to imagine to try to kickflip fs nosetap revert something invisible. this helps me keep from overrotating like a varial flip body varial or forcing the board around more than necessary.

Rein

• Rep: -20
« Reply #519 on: May 19, 2019, 02:51:49 AM »

Somebody told me yesterday to flick your foot out straight forward and turn your shoulders instead of trying to flick your foot with the board when you've already turned 45-90 degrees like with frontside flips.

Helped for me.

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #520 on: May 20, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »
Back tails - my back 180s have always been a weakness. I don't have trouble popping my tricks but for some reason I have trouble keeping the bs 180 under me. always been a scoop and slide type.

Before I die i need back tails in my life. I can do nollie back tails but there is a mental block with the ollie and lock in.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #521 on: May 21, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
Back tails - my back 180s have always been a weakness. I don't have trouble popping my tricks but for some reason I have trouble keeping the bs 180 under me. always been a scoop and slide type.

Before I die i need back tails in my life. I can do nollie back tails but there is a mental block with the ollie and lock in.

*following* (I can also do nollie back tails ... on tiny arse little curbs)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Dustwardprez

« Reply #522 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
360 flips... Seem to have this weird mental block that always stops me from flicking with my front foot, always end up doing terrible 3shuvs when I try.
[close]

You don’t flick a tre flip. It’s a pressure trick. You scoop while the board has tension built up lean back and scoop. Scissor kick and it will hit your foot.

Every tre flip issue is about scoop or the building up of pressure to get it to flip.

When I 3 shuv I have my toes on the tail more and my front foot flat so it doesn’t flip. Maybe you need to hang your toes off the tail more
[close]

This is absolutely the worst advice ever. All flip tricks should be properly flicked (out and up regardless of trick). If it’s not flicked it’s a pressure flip = shit. Look at any good tre flippers (Nate Jones, Kalis , Jason Lee...) they all flick. The flick on tre isn’t as pronounced as kickflips but you definitely should flick your tres.

Fixed typos.

Nah man pressure flip is off the other wheel weight is forward. That’s why it flips heel flip because the tension is on the toe side wheel and it’s forced under with a scrape. Like an impossible.

Tre flip is similar but it pops off the other wheel because you leaned back and popped it.

It’s not flicked with the side of your front foot like a KICKFLIP or an ollie that throws the tre away from you or gives it an ugly uneven rotation/flip and you will look like I did in 1990.

The right way of doing it is the flip friction is kinda caused by your back heel side wheel that bit the ground as you scooped it. Your front foot is mostly a trap to stop it from over rotation. That’s why we scissor kick. To trap it

You know you’re doing it right when the board will smacks into your front foot.

I should draw a picture or something it’s really hard to explain without a visual

All this can be applied to laser as well you just do the same thing backwards an with your big toe in the other pocket and your front foot’s toes curled off the board.

English is my second language if this is straight unreadable

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #523 on: May 22, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
fuck a fakie big spin! the most basic little kid trick. i cant do them for shit. front big got it. back big got it. switch front big got it. fuck fakie big spin those shits suck!!!

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #524 on: May 22, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
never done an inward heel... always half flip it straight into the ground. shit doesn't make sense
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

curbslayer

« Reply #525 on: May 22, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
never done an inward heel... always half flip it straight into the ground. shit doesn't make sense

can you cab heel ? i couldn't do them till after i learned that

redcurb12

« Reply #526 on: May 22, 2019, 10:38:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yea i can half cab heel and back heel but it doesn't feel the same at all!
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

curbslayer

« Reply #527 on: May 22, 2019, 11:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yea i can half cab heel and back heel but it doesn't feel the same at all!

set up the same as a cab heel. make it feel like you are standing fakie just look forward. make your body kinda do a shifty to get out of the way of the flip, will also help with the catch

redcurb12

« Reply #528 on: May 22, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
thanks for the tips.. i will try. but at this point i've basically accepted that i'll never land this trick

shit_for_brains

« Reply #529 on: May 23, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
thanks for the tips.. i will try. but at this point i've basically accepted that i'll never land this trick

I worked my way up from gross floppy ones that were more bs shove it heelflips than an inward heel to legitimate ones before the reaper got so close to me and now they're gone. Halfcabs heels were one of my first flip tricks so that one for sure helps. You only have to land one in your life for it to go on your permanent record.

If you don't already have them, learn back lips. It gets you used to throwing it behind you and then continuing to slide without having to get the 180 as much as you need it for back tails. It only requires you to get your back truck over so it'll build your confidence enough to not push it away while trying to get your tail on. Luckily back tails are one of those tricks that just click one try and then they're yours. The main trick to both is to turn your hips way more than your think, and you shoulders way less. The scoop and slide comes with familiarity.

redcurb12

« Reply #530 on: May 23, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You only have to land one in your life for it to go on your permanent record.

thanks man. inspirational quote of the day! gonna keep trying

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #531 on: May 23, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I worked my way up from gross floppy ones that were more bs shove it heelflips than an inward heel to legitimate ones before the reaper got so close to me and now they're gone. Halfcabs heels were one of my first flip tricks so that one for sure helps. You only have to land one in your life for it to go on your permanent record.

Expand Quote

[close]

If you don't already have them, learn back lips. It gets you used to throwing it behind you and then continuing to slide without having to get the 180 as much as you need it for back tails. It only requires you to get your back truck over so it'll build your confidence enough to not push it away while trying to get your tail on. Luckily back tails are one of those tricks that just click one try and then they're yours. The main trick to both is to turn your hips way more than your think, and you shoulders way less. The scoop and slide comes with familiarity.
thanks for the tips...I might just have to put the forbidden 14 lifestyle on hold to get this.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #532 on: May 23, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »

Try angling your front foot inwards (big toe pointing diagonally towards the tail) and kick out (not down) in that direction. The jump takes more effort than pop shove-its or varial flips / heels so suck your legs up. It does work like a backside heelflip without the body turn but in reality it doesn't, and shouldn't feel like that at all, but the original position is similar except for the upper body (hips and shoulders). It's an easy trick to pop once you've figured out the timing and technique. I haven't even tried one in fucking forever though, those and hardflips can feel so awkward they are very easy to neglect.

The front foot at an inwards angle tip also works wonders for varial heels by the way.

fuck a fakie big spin! the most basic little kid trick. i cant do them for shit. front big got it. back big got it. switch front big got it. fuck fakie big spin those shits suck!!!

Learn, or work on, fakie pop shoves that pop. Then it's essentially the same thing but you halfcab into it. Explicit I know but good fakie pop shove-it technique eludes a lot of people and is all one needs for this trick.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #533 on: May 23, 2019, 04:07:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
thanks for the tips...I might just have to put the forbidden 14 lifestyle on hold to get this.

It'll be worth it for back tails. Nobody has to know.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
I still can't back 5050 properly. I can back 5-0 kind of good but when I try 5050 they turn into an awkward feeble to boardslide to fakie. I know it's in the shoulders but I still can't manage to find a way to consistency.
Also backtails, I'm scared of them to the point I can't often pop to at least stick them. It must be because I picture myself getting thrown back on my face if that makes sense. Should be just more practice and more balls.
I read your advice sfb but bs lips are total strangers to begin with. I'll try with more hip movement. And more balls.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »
I still can't back 5050 properly. I can back 5-0 kind of good but when I try 5050 they turn into an awkward feeble to boardslide to fakie. I know it's in the shoulders but I still can't manage to find a way to consistency.
Also backtails, I'm scared of them to the point I can't often pop to at least stick them. It must be because I picture myself getting thrown back on my face if that makes sense. Should be just more practice and more balls.
I read your advice sfb but bs lips are total strangers to begin with. I'll try with more hip movement. And more balls.

I just go straight at it and practice the stall. Treat the ledge like a quarter pipe. Maybe not on a waxy part if you’v never gotten into it before

shit_for_brains

« Reply #536 on: May 25, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »

Get used to bs lips on a parking block. Treat them like disasters at first and then you'll slide some and move up to a flat rail. I really think bs lip is the easiest way to unlock the harder tier of bs tricks and the only thing you have to be able to do to get them is be able to swing your back truck over something.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #537 on: May 25, 2019, 11:53:56 PM »

Put your popping foot in front shuv position, other foot somewhere in the middle, pop straight down, no scoop.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #538 on: May 26, 2019, 05:25:23 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8GftZBCku/?igshid=10zu866t7favh

Here’s a great example of a tre that’s 99% back foot

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #539 on: May 29, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
I can't do regular frontside or backside flips. It takes all my effort to get the 180 variation and flip the board. My backside flips when I can get one barely pop and it's disgusting and rocketed. Oddly enough I can do nollie frontside flips and switch backside flips..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:00:44 PM by skatefresh »