Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151954 times)

rusty knees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »
fuckn switch frontside flips seem easy for everyone else but me

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #541 on: June 04, 2019, 03:44:12 PM »
Frontside shuvits. I can do them but it takes 110% effort. Switch ones are easier for me. I’ve been making myself do them and find it funny when I’m drenched in sweat after landing 2 or 3. I love the way they feel when I catch a good one though so I’m hoping the motion becomes more natural.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #542 on: June 07, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
For anyone struggling with regular kickflips, I found this old tutorial I watched as a kid and now I have them back. The tip for me was in the backfoot position. Maybe it will help someone.

https://youtu.be/wSa1TlAxtkM
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #543 on: June 07, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »
Fs 180’s and shuvs. Used to be god tier at 180’s but now they all of a sudden have seasonal depression on me and decide they don’t want to work. I wind up fine and I rotate fine but I for the love of my life can’t roll fakie anymore! Maybe my trucks are to loose. Also for shuvs does anyone have a good tip to get the back foot to stay on? Landed one the other day while holding onto a fence but I tried without and my back foot just says “nah”.

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #544 on: June 09, 2019, 03:07:28 AM »
This is gonna sound so fucking stupid, but I hate fs 180s so much, I can't land a single one that doesn't look like shit, and my switch fs 180s look way better.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #545 on: June 09, 2019, 06:02:53 PM »
This is gonna sound so fucking stupid, but I hate fs 180s so much, I can't land a single one that doesn't look like shit, and my switch fs 180s look way better.

I look like a newborn fawn on switch fs 180’s.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #546 on: June 09, 2019, 06:43:23 PM »
I think you are backside inclined then no? frontside 180 tricks have never worked for me, backside and switch frontside are fine though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Dustwardprez

« Reply #547 on: June 09, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »
I have problems nose manny since I started doing tricks again.
I can G-turn I can switch manny I can fakie manny
but front nose grind and landing nose manny takes like 20+ tries and feels fucking awful.

I almost want to blame the gear and say it’s the tall loose trucks but it definitely lack of practice.

I maybe going to set up an 7.8 board with my old thunders and some 50mm wheels see what happens

To me switch nose is not as essential as regular nose grind. Maybe I should try skating my board backwards.
Maybe it’s because I’m skating metal ledges that don’t bite.
I can nose grind the orchard bowl?

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #548 on: June 10, 2019, 02:57:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think you are backside inclined then no? frontside 180 tricks have never worked for me, backside and switch frontside are fine though
Yeah, I've got good bs 180s and can bs flip and heel but I cant do fs for shit

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: June 10, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
Skate your board backwards for a FS Shuv, pop off the nose

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #550 on: July 01, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
For anyone struggling with regular kickflips, I found this old tutorial I watched as a kid and now I have them back. The tip for me was in the backfoot position. Maybe it will help someone.

https://youtu.be/wSa1TlAxtkM
Doesn't work for pretty much everyone who skates loose trucks :/

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #551 on: July 01, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
I skate loose trucks myself and works for me but yeah I can see what you’re saying.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #552 on: July 01, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
yo just wanted to chime in and say i goddamn slayed those bs 50s on that knee high curb. sooooo pleased with myself. like i even did three in a row. then i tried to bs 5-0 and almost killed myself and two innocent bystanders.

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #553 on: July 01, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Stand up grinds in transition. My brain short-circuits every time I get close to the coping.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #554 on: July 02, 2019, 12:22:01 AM »
For fs shuvs:
Have your front foot in the middle of the board. When doing it, have the foot at an angle, like when doing flicks, or move it away from the board to give it space. Oh and you have to jump.
Alot of beginners doesnt jump, they just "jump" against the board, not giving it room to do the trick.

But yes, I cant wiff a fs shuv either, I have to kinda pop it solidly.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #555 on: July 05, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
Stand up grinds in transition. My brain short-circuits every time I get close to the coping.

I'd practice by doing manual roll outs on the deck first to get on top.  Then try doing your manuals as closer and closer to the coping as possible.  Then get the balls to get on the coping.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #556 on: July 11, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Back fifty. Just doesnt seem to make sense to me. I used to be able to do them on everything even roundrails like 10+ years ago, but now I either land next to the curb*, my feet on top of it without my board, or will get into a suski grind.

Of course now I have build them up in my head as the be all end all trick that would make skating around the city 100x more fun. Any advice? I think its my foot positioning.

*oh how the mighty have fallen :(

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #557 on: July 11, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
Back fifty. Just doesnt seem to make sense to me. I used to be able to do them on everything even roundrails like 10+ years ago, but now I either land next to the curb*, my feet on top of it without my board, or will get into a suski grind.

Of course now I have build them up in my head as the be all end all trick that would make skating around the city 100x more fun. Any advice? I think its my foot positioning.

I was trying to help a friend learn them the other day. My best tip is to learn stalls first, approaching the ledge/curb straight on so you’re doing a 90 degree Ollie. Once you’re comfortable with that, gradually decrease angle of approach and increase speed. Helps me to put my back truck down on the ledge first. In regards to foot positioning, I set up basically like a back 180.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #558 on: July 11, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was trying to help a friend learn them the other day. My best tip is to learn stalls first, approaching the ledge/curb straight on so you’re doing a 90 degree Ollie. Once you’re comfortable with that, gradually decrease angle of approach and increase speed. Helps me to put my back truck down on the ledge first. In regards to foot positioning, I set up basically like a back 180.

i always tell people not to overthink it. it's a much easier trick than it actually seems. if you can front fifty... you got it. just try ollieing up onto the ledge facing backside and get comfortable doing that... you might even lock into some back fiftys doing this. on foot positioning... i always have my front foot a little lower for backside grinds and do just the slightest scoop with my back foot in the outside pocket (like a back 180). you got this
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:02:09 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: July 11, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »

dpelevator

« Reply #560 on: July 12, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That makes a lot of sense. Gunna try this over the weekend.

redcurb12

« Reply #561 on: July 12, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »
backside powerslides. tips appreciated
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: July 12, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »
. Carve frontside first (this is old SLAP wisdom) before you chuck your body into them. Skate F4s on some smooth ground and remember to keep your head facing forward.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #563 on: July 12, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
Tryna get a good Nollie like shuriken. He has clean nollies.

redcurb12

« Reply #564 on: July 13, 2019, 02:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
. Carve frontside first (this is old SLAP wisdom) before you chuck your body into them. Skate F4s on some smooth ground and remember to keep your head facing forward.

thanks imp. head facing forward is a good tip. purchased a new pair of f4s just the other day!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: July 13, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

thanks imp. head facing forward is a good tip. purchased a new pair of f4s just the other day!
all good! Also, you know how it’s all
In your heels when you do frontside powerslides? Well it’s all your toes when do backside!

blunted

« Reply #566 on: July 15, 2019, 12:35:18 AM »
BS 180s. Spinning with my back turned towards the direction I'm going just doesn't feel natural for me. It's hard for me to commit all the way for the spin. I usually do half the 180.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #567 on: July 15, 2019, 01:13:27 PM »
BS 180s. Spinning with my back turned towards the direction I'm going just doesn't feel natural for me. It's hard for me to commit all the way for the spin. I usually do half the 180.

my best buddy does the funniest bs 180s. it's basically an ollie to nose pivot. he can bs grind and slide fine and can do them switch with a scoop, but he can only do bs flip tricks. i used to kill him off with a low effort bs 180 in our warm up games of skate when he couldn't do them at all.

for hints, if wanted, try and learn to bs 180 pivot to fakie. like a bs 180 powerslide done like a manual if that makes sense. then add pop. first just try to land them scooped. if you got that blind landing down, you can start to control the rotation and add height. if you want to go over higher stuff, the scoop happens mid air, you want to pop off clean at an angle, but have already initiated rotation with your shoulders. you want to clear the obstacle at approx. 60 degree angle and let your feet follow your shoulders, focus on your nose for where you land and use your back foot to scoop the board around for the remaining 100-120 degrees rotation.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: July 15, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »
old slap advice for back 180s: look at your back foot before popping and keep looking at it until you fully rotate

blunted

« Reply #569 on: July 16, 2019, 02:56:30 AM »
old slap advice for back 180s: look at your back foot before popping and keep looking at it until you fully rotate
Cool thanks. Yeah that sounds like it might work me. I'll give it a try next time. Cheers.