Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151908 times)

Dr-Feelgood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #600 on: October 02, 2019, 11:38:42 PM »
You guys should keep trying 360 flips. I also never thought I'd get them but try to fling a couple every time I skate and I've only landed a handful but I've landed some.

Sometimes I get a new board with a slightly larger wheelbase and it throws off the scoop so maybe try a shorter wheelbase board, or stick with the same exact deck dimensions for a little bit and see if it helps.

I need to get back in the habit of just flatground practising, its been a while since ive tried something new, last few times ive skated ive just stuck to what i know but im overdue to learn something new

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #601 on: October 03, 2019, 11:20:29 AM »
I don’t want to look back through the whole thread can someone give me any tips for frontside flips? I’ve been trying them forever and I’m not making any progress, I can land them with my back foot but it’s not a commitment thing, if I try to land with both feet I don’t even come close.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #602 on: October 03, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
You guys should keep trying 360 flips. I also never thought I'd get them but try to fling a couple every time I skate and I've only landed a handful but I've landed some.

Sometimes I get a new board with a slightly larger wheelbase and it throws off the scoop so maybe try a shorter wheelbase board, or stick with the same exact deck dimensions for a little bit and see if it helps.

its a weird one with me, some days i can land every one i try and some days they just dont work. it's not that i absolutley cannot do them - that would be less frustrating haha. Inconsistancy and the fugly nature of the ones i do land have worn me down.
Every skatepark baby can do them on command now anyways, i shant embarrass myself any longer haha

Streebo

• Rep: -30
« Reply #603 on: October 03, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
Just pushing without looking like a clumsy asshole is hard enough for me... let alone any basic flip tricks

SPHALT

« Reply #604 on: October 03, 2019, 11:13:38 PM »
same with backside 50/50...

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #605 on: October 05, 2019, 05:53:19 AM »
Nothing pisses me off more than the fact that I lost backside flips. Used to be a go to. I don’t understand.

The board wraps around my foot like a front foot impossible.

Got these back yesterday after them being gone for over a year and a half and I could’ve shed a tear.

Really learning that all of my problems and their solutions lie in the shoulders.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #606 on: October 05, 2019, 06:43:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Nothing pisses me off more than the fact that I lost backside flips. Used to be a go to. I don’t understand.

[close]

Got these back yesterday after them being gone for over a year and a half and I could’ve shed a tear.

Really learning that all of my problems and their solutions lie in the shoulders.

Fuck yeah dude. 👊
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #607 on: October 05, 2019, 07:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fuck yeah dude. 👊

👊🏾 Feels good

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #608 on: October 05, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
Hardflips...I landed one once by doing a frontside flip and pulling my body back to regular, but it felt like I was tricking myself into it and it wasn't real.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #609 on: October 05, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
Hardflips...I landed one once by doing a frontside flip and pulling my body back to regular, but it felt like I was tricking myself into it and it wasn't real.

I’m close but never can do good ones. I land 45 degrees backside and stop or tick tack, can’t get that last part where you whip it back to ride away straight. Save me B Herm

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #610 on: October 05, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »
Ill land a 360 flip before i nab a hardflip, that seems impossible to me

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #611 on: October 11, 2019, 02:03:58 AM »
I am terrified of fs 5-0 grinds and fs kickturns on transition. Feels really awkward when i try those.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #612 on: October 11, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
Backside 180 nosegrinds have been upsetting me. I can technically do it most times but it almost always feels like cheating, not like the unmistakable friction slide of a true grind. It doesn't feel like backside 180 switch 5-0, it feels like a contorted uncomfortable overrotated front crook. A few times I have felt the real connection, but the trick is elusive.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #613 on: October 12, 2019, 07:34:56 AM »
Frontside 360 ollies. Best I can get is an over-rotated front 180 where I revert the rest of the way, maybe close to 270 if I'm on a mellow bank.

Any advice is appreciated.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #614 on: October 12, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »
Frontside 360 ollies. Best I can get is an over-rotated front 180 where I revert the rest of the way, maybe close to 270 if I'm on a mellow bank.

Any advice is appreciated.

Wind up and pop high.

I set up for a higher ollie and wind up enough that my front shoulder dips. I learned them up a euro gap, 'twas helpful.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

tranny in the streets

• Rep: 12
  • Gronk
« Reply #615 on: October 15, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »
I don’t want to look back through the whole thread can someone give me any tips for frontside flips? I’ve been trying them forever and I’m not making any progress, I can land them with my back foot but it’s not a commitment thing, if I try to land with both feet I don’t even come close.

I just learned these a few days ago. I turn way more than I thought I needed to and it works for me somehow, I always also aim to land on the nose so I can pivot it and get more control over them, but for some reason I always land a full 180 because I wind up ALL the way.

Also, I fucking suck at frontside ollies on flat so I guess I'm overcompensating somehow. But yeah, turn more than you think you have to, wind those shoulders up and just get both feet on the board no matter what.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #616 on: October 16, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
Have I mentioned that I can’t powerslide? Because I can’t powerslide and would like to.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2019, 12:04:20 AM »
Have I mentioned that I can’t powerslide? Because I can’t powerslide and would like to.

I'm not very good at powerslides at all but the way I was taught them is to carve into them. For a frontside powerslide, carve backside and then immediately afterwards frontside. Go fast enough. Also you can build it up from doing reverts. Slowly you'll get the front wheels to slide as well when you feel more comfortable with it. Also Formula Fours really help. Slight downhill helps too. Nothing too crazy though cuz then you'll be going so fast that you're scared shitless.  🙂

Edit: This is for 180° powerslides which I feel are easier initially. Once you get them down more consistent it's easier to turn it back to normal kinda like from a boardslide. 🤔
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:28:01 AM by Roisto »

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #618 on: October 18, 2019, 12:40:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just learned these a few days ago. I turn way more than I thought I needed to and it works for me somehow, I always also aim to land on the nose so I can pivot it and get more control over them, but for some reason I always land a full 180 because I wind up ALL the way.

Also, I fucking suck at frontside ollies on flat so I guess I'm overcompensating somehow. But yeah, turn more than you think you have to, wind those shoulders up and just get both feet on the board no matter what.

this works but I got to appoint where i broke a board on almost every fs flip i did so i stopped doing them, now i cant.. always try to land bolts kids.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2019, 03:16:21 AM »
Lost my heelflip, it hurts. I can land one out of 10 tries, out these 1 out 3 does not look disgusting. I ve been riding second hand wheels for a while, they are so thin and I am currently riding a dead second hand board. Maybe there is something going on there. I hope.

Also Ollie north, I don't get it. this kids at the plaza always gives a letter with this one.

Nollie Bigspin, I am very close to it, I feel that I will be able to do it all the time soon but right now it's sketchy.

I also have the ugliest/shittiest half cab ever which does not help when I try half cab heel.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #620 on: October 18, 2019, 06:09:55 AM »
Lost my heelflip, it hurts. I can land one out of 10 tries, out these 1 out 3 does not look disgusting. I ve been riding second hand wheels for a while, they are so thin and I am currently riding a dead second hand board. Maybe there is something going on there. I hope.

Also Ollie north, I don't get it. this kids at the plaza always gives a letter with this one.

Nollie Bigspin, I am very close to it, I feel that I will be able to do it all the time soon but right now it's sketchy.

I also have the ugliest/shittiest half cab ever which does not help when I try half cab heel.

a new board and a lot of practice youll be all good

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #621 on: October 18, 2019, 06:21:55 AM »
Fuck bs 50's on small ledges. I always overshoot my front truck and it turns into a gross board slide. Lots of switch stuff bugs me too but that's my fault for neglecting it.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #622 on: October 18, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »

Maybe try treating ollie one-foots like kickflips or heelflips except you don't flick your ankle at all (keep it stiff, may be unnatural at first if you're used to flip tricks) and kick past the front bolts and straight off the nose. You're essentially trying to get that nose to come down, back foot on the tail should naturally prevent the board from flipping by keeping it flat, don't think about it like you have to ollie and then try to get your foot off because unless you have Tim O'Connor genes that's not going to work. Or you could try it the Ron Allen way which is completely different.

For halfcabs, just practice treating them exactly like big ollies on flatground except you basically roll up backwards and literally carve into one. Should help you figure out how the trick exactly works.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #623 on: October 19, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »

My bs half cabs kinda went to shit the last few months and I would end up kicking them away, I guess because I have been messing with my setups but I found that I need to give it a good pop almost like a I’m just going to do a fakie Ollie and then turn my shoulder, instead of turning my shoulders while I’m popping. But that’s just how I fixed mine

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #624 on: October 20, 2019, 07:39:17 AM »
I hate it when my front toe ends up hanging off my board on half cabs.....I guess the key is put your feet more like a kickflip to counter it. 

When that trick is going for me, it's a fakie Ollie with my head turned and the rest just happens...

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #625 on: October 20, 2019, 09:04:01 AM »
I fought a frontside ollie over some cones for like 20 minutes and then watched the footage and i looked like a 6'2" 3rd grader
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Jewlien Burford

« Reply #626 on: October 21, 2019, 01:09:56 AM »
Shuvs both bs and fs.

For the life of me can't keep them under me and is fucking me over when progressing my flat ground.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #627 on: October 21, 2019, 01:38:29 AM »
I hate it when my front toe ends up hanging off my board on half cabs.....I guess the key is put your feet more like a kickflip to counter it. 

When that trick is going for me, it's a fakie Ollie with my head turned and the rest just happens...
let me guess backside ones, that also happens to me. Frontside halfcabs are my most consistent trick lol. I have never not landed a clean one, and I ate shit on a normal Ollie last month lol.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #628 on: October 21, 2019, 02:09:42 AM »
Shuvs both bs and fs.

For the life of me can't keep them under me and is fucking me over when progressing my flat ground.

a skatepark elder once told me for shuv tricks imagine theres a square around you.

if youre regs doing a front shuv, you start in the bottom right corner of the square, when you pop aim to land in the top left corner. youll be on your board for sure.

bs works the opposite way - bottom left to top right.

eventually the movement becomes second nature and your forget about the square

sounds dumb as shit but give it a try. it will work

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #629 on: October 21, 2019, 05:29:38 AM »
thanks for the feedback, I think I got my heelflip back.
The problem is that I overthink it way way way to much and take every little movement I do into consideration for why it works or does not. Like how my knees directing at and things like that. Thankfully in only happens with Heelflip.
Going to try and learn ollie north today using those tips.