Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 152039 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #630 on: October 21, 2019, 02:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Have I mentioned that I can’t powerslide? Because I can’t powerslide and would like to.
[close]

I'm not very good at powerslides at all but the way I was taught them is to carve into them. For a frontside powerslide, carve backside and then immediately afterwards frontside. Go fast enough. Also you can build it up from doing reverts. Slowly you'll get the front wheels to slide as well when you feel more comfortable with it. Also Formula Fours really help. Slight downhill helps too. Nothing too crazy though cuz then you'll be going so fast that you're scared shitless.  🙂

Edit: This is for 180° powerslides which I feel are easier initially. Once you get them down more consistent it's easier to turn it back to normal kinda like from a boardslide. 🤔

Formula 4 makes power sliding easier for sure. I was thinking about a trick tip when I was doing them at lunch and I came up with the following:

Find a smooth asphalt parking lot and if it was recently sealed the better. Skate fast to an outside corner a make a tight frontside turn. Push your back heal into the turn and push your front foot straight. You are basically cutting the corner and with enough speed and lean your wheels will break free.

You could also pretend to lipslide a painted white line.

Backside power slides are much harder. I can only cheese those by doing a little shifty and picking my front wheels up.

I’m sure if you spent an hour doing nothing but you would start to get it.

Jewlien Burford

« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Shuvs both bs and fs.

For the life of me can't keep them under me and is fucking me over when progressing my flat ground.
[close]

a skatepark elder once told me for shuv tricks imagine theres a square around you.

if youre regs doing a front shuv, you start in the bottom right corner of the square, when you pop aim to land in the top left corner. youll be on your board for sure.

bs works the opposite way - bottom left to top right.

eventually the movement becomes second nature and your forget about the square

sounds dumb as shit but give it a try. it will work

Cheers ill give it a go

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Shuvs both bs and fs.

For the life of me can't keep them under me and is fucking me over when progressing my flat ground.
[close]

a skatepark elder once told me for shuv tricks imagine theres a square around you.

if youre regs doing a front shuv, you start in the bottom right corner of the square, when you pop aim to land in the top left corner. youll be on your board for sure.

This is sick. How many buckets of water did you have to carry to the pagoda for this knowledge?
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #633 on: October 22, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shuvs both bs and fs.

[close]

[close]

This is sick. How many buckets of water did you have to carry to the pagoda for this knowledge?

I’ve always thought of it as more of a 4-dimensional hypercube, but I guess a square could work too.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #634 on: October 23, 2019, 11:34:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shuvs both bs and fs.

[close]

[close]

many, but not enough to learn the ancient art of the 360 flip

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #635 on: October 24, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shuvs both bs and fs.

[close]

[close]

[close]

many, but not enough to learn the ancient art of the 360 flip

I dunno if this might help but the thing thing that helped me the most with tre's was actually focusing on my front foot. Whenever I watched a YT video or heard someone explain them they always said the front foot didn't really do much compared to the backfoot. For the longest time my tres were garbage because of that. Once I finally started making a concerted effort to drag and flick my front foot they stayed under me. I also find it's one of those tricks that has you face the nose of your board with more open shoulders. It's also honestly just a hard fuckin trick.

switchbs180

« Reply #636 on: October 26, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »
nowadays 50-50 grinds piss me of. both fs and bs. either I get into feebles or I will just jump straight on the ledge without grinding. how can I lock better into 50s?

nachodaddy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #637 on: October 26, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »
nowadays 50-50 grinds piss me of. both fs and bs. either I get into feebles or I will just jump straight on the ledge without grinding. how can I lock better into 50s?

Try locking in one truck at a time. Ollie and aim your front truck towards the edge of the ledge and then follow through with the back truck. Apply the same idea to both fs and bs.

switchbs180

« Reply #638 on: October 27, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try locking in one truck at a time. Ollie and aim your front truck towards the edge of the ledge and then follow through with the back truck. Apply the same idea to both fs and bs.

thanks mate, I will try it next time.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #639 on: October 29, 2019, 04:52:12 AM »
Thanks for the powerslide tips, we’ll see. When I was a kid the closest I would come to powerslides was through piles of leaves in the fall. ‘tis the season I suppose

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the powerslide tips, we’ll see. When I was a kid the closest I would come to powerslides was through piles of leaves in the fall. ‘tis the season I suppose

I learned 180 powerslides before I could do the ones that return to straight. You just put a good percentage of your weight on your front foot, turn your shoulders and your hips and feet will follow. Back foot sweeps around aided by heel pressure (for frontside) or toe pressure (backside) on the edges of your board. Definitely ok to hang toe or heel over the edge of the board.

Those both give you the feeling of sliding your back wheels.

I generally can't do good non 180 BS slides but for Frontside hang that heel, crouch, put a little weight on the front foot then kick your back leg out straight. You need to be moving with a bit of speed to get those to work.

Definitely learn them on well worn, smooth asphalt - it's the easiest surface to slide but not completely slip out on. New perfectly smooth concrete, tennis courts or older parks with grainy concrete can be really difficult to slide.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #641 on: November 01, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
Kickflips.  It feels like my grip is either too grippy or too slick 99% of the time.  God I fucking suck at kickflips.  Kickflip variations, no problem.  Heelflips, no problem.

I also don't do enough of them.  I'll get them pretty dialed but lose them quick.

Fakie and nollie flips are easier for me but they're definitely not great either.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #642 on: November 02, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
Kickflips.  It feels like my grip is either too grippy or too slick 99% of the time.  God I fucking suck at kickflips.  Kickflip variations, no problem.  Heelflips, no problem.

I also don't do enough of them.  I'll get them pretty dialed but lose them quick.

Fakie and nollie flips are easier for me but they're definitely not great either.
Only time I have good kickflips is when I have a good portion of my foot on the board, I always would have too much off and lean frontside resulting in a terrible kickflip.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #643 on: November 02, 2019, 09:33:13 PM »
  I can pop big spins but I always slide the last 90 degrees and its such a disgusting feeling.  Wishing I could do them correctly.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #644 on: November 03, 2019, 07:08:26 AM »
  I can pop big spins but I always slide the last 90 degrees and its such a disgusting feeling.  Wishing I could do them correctly.

At least you can do them regular. I can only do them fakie and I feel like such a kook doing it.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #645 on: November 03, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
Ollies can never be good enough!

PMA

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #646 on: November 03, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »
Ollies can never be good enough!
  I love my ollies.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #647 on: November 04, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At least you can do them regular. I can only do them fakie and I feel like such a kook doing it.

I can do but I like fakie ones better. Fuck what people think dude they’re really fun and can look steezy as fuck in a line or down the right feature.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: November 04, 2019, 04:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can do but I like fakie ones better. Fuck what people think dude they’re really fun and can look steezy as fuck in a line or down the right feature.

I can still pop the shit out of them but rarely do them on anything but flat these days.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #649 on: November 04, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I can still pop the shit out of them but rarely do them on anything but flat these days.

I have the popped fakie ones too and actually always liked doing that trick, and then I met this dude who would regularly snap his board, borrow his friends' and then snap those too trying it down a small 4 over and over, all the while looking as gross as he was for not even looking sorry for being such a daft cunt. So I rarely do them on anything, too, because PTSD - I get flashbacks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:15:44 PM by silhouette »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: November 04, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the popped fakie ones too and actually always liked doing that trick, and then I met this dude who would regularly snap his board, borrow his friends' and then snap those too trying it down a small 4 over and over, all the while looking as gross as he was for not even looking sorry for being such a daft cunt. So I rarely do them on anything, too, because PTSD - I get flashbacks.
I’m right there with you about the ptsd
My ptsd is two fractured bones in my foot from doing one down a 4.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
« Reply #651 on: November 04, 2019, 05:58:59 PM »
Tricks off bumps and ramps...I get more air on flat... how does this work?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #652 on: November 04, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »

2 things really helped me get them back after losing them for close to 10 years. I could do variations of them (Varial Flip, FS Flip, FS Half Cab Flip, fuck BS Flip variations).
1) Ankle strengthening exercises
2) Adjusting my wheelbase by tweaking my truck setup

The latter really helped since I was getting so much ghost pop and all my kickflips were going rocket. Had to force myself to wait for the pop before flicking my toe.

What kind of kickflips are you getting?

Also fuck heelflips, I hate them with a passion due to my inability to do them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #653 on: November 04, 2019, 11:04:25 PM »

I can't handle when I stick them perfectly. Board always zoots out.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #654 on: November 05, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

2 things really helped me get them back after losing them for close to 10 years. I could do variations of them (Varial Flip, FS Flip, FS Half Cab Flip, fuck BS Flip variations).
1) Ankle strengthening exercises
2) Adjusting my wheelbase by tweaking my truck setup

The latter really helped since I was getting so much ghost pop and all my kickflips were going rocket. Had to force myself to wait for the pop before flicking my toe.

What kind of kickflips are you getting?

Also fuck heelflips, I hate them with a passion due to my inability to do them.

youre whelebase doesnt fucking ,atter. flick throught the truck bolt and out of the nose pocket

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #655 on: November 10, 2019, 03:40:33 AM »
Fuck you Fakie heelflips.
Oh and Nollie inward heels. Everyone I know can in some way do this trick, whereas I can't seem to get my head around my board spinning and flipping that way at the same time. Got a mean nollie varial flip though 8)
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #656 on: November 10, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »
Fuck you Fakie heelflips.
Oh and Nollie inward heels. Everyone I know can in some way do this trick, whereas I can't seem to get my head around my board spinning and flipping that way at the same time. Got a mean nollie varial flip though 8)

Nobody likes fakie heelflips anyway.

Hence why I whip those bad boys out every chance I get in a game of skate.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »
BS Kickflips - I can only do shitty Varial Flips and turning my body to land them, none of the big poppy ones with the sweet revert at the end. FS Flip are way easier for me.

If anyone has the secret sauce for this trick let me know
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #658 on: November 14, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
BS Kickflips - I can only do shitty Varial Flips and turning my body to land them, none of the big poppy ones with the sweet revert at the end. FS Flip are way easier for me.

Mine are also kind of shit but I find that you can do less of the varial flip - body turn thing by trying to 'fold' the flip more, try flick more straight off the nose and less off the side pocket. Then its just a matter of getting your shoulders and body around in time.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #659 on: November 14, 2019, 05:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you have good back 180s?

Bs flips started working for me after I got very comfortable doing back 180s. The kind where you actually ollie/bring your front foot up when you do them. Now i just focus on doing a back 180 like i am used to and flick out while turning. they seem to work the easier and smoother i do them... try to pop them too much or flick too hard and they get weird. Hope that helps :-\

Anyone got the cheat codes for fs heel? I landed one once and slipped out.. never have come close again. after watching the lucas helas vid im going to try them with the front foot by the bolts like he did over the fire hydrant

My BS 180s have been getting better recently, way better than when I last stopped in 2010. The super boned out ones but I can feel the 50% front foot leading 50% back foot pivoting it.
I'll try flicking my foot straight off the nose this weekend, maybe get a little bit of back foot scoop in there too. Going to try and correct my head position, been dipping it too much for all my BS tricks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m