Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151903 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #660 on: November 14, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BS Kickflips - I can only do shitty Varial Flips and turning my body to land them, none of the big poppy ones with the sweet revert at the end. FS Flip are way easier for me.

If anyone has the secret sauce for this trick let me know
[close]

Do you have good back 180s?

Bs flips started working for me after I got very comfortable doing back 180s. The kind where you actually ollie/bring your front foot up when you do them. Now i just focus on doing a back 180 like i am used to and flick out while turning. they seem to work the easier and smoother i do them... try to pop them too much or flick too hard and they get weird. Hope that helps :-\

Anyone got the cheat codes for fs heel? I landed one once and slipped out.. never have come close again. after watching the lucas helas vid im going to try them with the front foot by the bolts like he did over the fire hydrant
[close]

My BS 180s have been getting better recently, way better than when I last stopped in 2010. The super boned out ones but I can feel the 50% front foot leading 50% back foot pivoting it.
I'll try flicking my foot straight off the nose this weekend, maybe get a little bit of back foot scoop in there too. Going to try and correct my head position, been dipping it too much for all my BS tricks.

You shouldn't really need to scoop with your back foot much, in fact too much scoop might be whats making it a bit rocket and varial-ish. Try get the rotation whilst popping straight down by a) using your shoulders and b) flicking off the nose and 'folding' the flip, this often helps the board rotate more.

If you struggle to get your body all the way around, like your body only makes it 90 degrees when your board does the full 180, I find that you can help that by looking at your back foot the whole time as that tricks your upper body to turn more and your lower body will follow a bit better.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:30:31 PM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #661 on: November 15, 2019, 12:27:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BS Kickflips - I can only do shitty Varial Flips and turning my body to land them, none of the big poppy ones with the sweet revert at the end. FS Flip are way easier for me.

[close]

Bs flips started working for me after I got very comfortable doing back 180s. The kind where you actually ollie/bring your front foot up when you do them. Now i just focus on doing a back 180 like i am used to and flick out while turning. they seem to work the easier and smoother i do them... try to pop them too much or flick too hard and they get weird. Hope that helps :-\

Anyone got the cheat codes for fs heel? I landed one once and slipped out.. never have come close again. after watching the lucas helas vid im going to try them with the front foot by the bolts like he did over the fire hydrant
[close]

My BS 180s have been getting better recently, way better than when I last stopped in 2010. The super boned out ones but I can feel the 50% front foot leading 50% back foot pivoting it.
I'll try flicking my foot straight off the nose this weekend, maybe get a little bit of back foot scoop in there too. Going to try and correct my head position, been dipping it too much for all my BS tricks.
[close]

You shouldn't really need to scoop with your back foot much, in fact too much scoop might be whats making it a bit rocket and varial-ish. Try get the rotation whilst popping straight down by a) using your shoulders and b) flicking off the nose and 'folding' the flip, this often helps the board rotate more.

If you struggle to get your body all the way around, like your body only makes it 90 degrees when your board does the full 180, I find that you can help that by looking at your back foot the whole time as that tricks your upper body to turn more and your lower body will follow a bit better.

I've heard the folding bs flip thing, do you have a clip of how that looks?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

WobbleHeadBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #662 on: November 15, 2019, 12:43:55 AM »
BS flips-

lean slightly over the nose
your head and shoulders should already be turning before youre tail hits the ground.
solid pop
flick through the nose
aim to catch the flip at 90
use your popping foot to power that fucker round the rest of the way

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #663 on: November 15, 2019, 01:12:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Cvp9SFQY_/

It's almost like a dolphin/forward flip except you turn your body with it I guess. Nowhere near as exaggerated though. If you try do this its probably not going to look anywhere near as tweaked as in this clip, but you should be shooting for that feeling. The comment above me is pretty on point too, though I would say it's not too important to try to catch at 90 and bring it around but if that helps, then by all means do that. If by folding the flick and winding up etc you can get your board and body to do the full rotation then there's no need to catch and complete the rotation.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #664 on: November 15, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Cvp9SFQY_/

It's almost like a dolphin/forward flip except you turn your body with it I guess. Nowhere near as exaggerated though. If you try do this its probably not going to look anywhere near as tweaked as in this clip, but you should be shooting for that feeling. The comment above me is pretty on point too, though I would say it's not too important to try to catch at 90 and bring it around but if that helps, then by all means do that. If by folding the flick and winding up etc you can get your board and body to do the full rotation then there's no need to catch and complete the rotation.

this is especially true if youre goin for foldy ones.
theres a foldy flatland bs flip at 30s in this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF6MusFHwqc

and while we're here, you might as well watch the whole video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_NHwKNeq4&t=2068s
easily one of the best skate vids to ever come out of Scotland. Rattray section is rad

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #665 on: November 21, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
Long 5050s? Short-medium ones go fine and straight but on long ones my dumb shoulders always start turning and then I’m shuffling and tic tacking my board back into place. I wanna learn how to settle into and sit on it comfortably for a long one.  I just need shoulder control in general. Always turning ways I don’t need them to.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #666 on: November 21, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »
Long 5050s? Short-medium ones go fine and straight but on long ones my dumb shoulders always start turning and then I’m shuffling and tic tacking my board back into place. I wanna learn how to settle into and sit on it comfortably for a long one.  I just need shoulder control in general. Always turning ways I don’t need them to.

I always thought I would be great as long distance ones but I feel like once I hit a certain speed I just pop off out of instinct

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #667 on: November 22, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »
Fs slappy variations are only a make when your front truck/wheels make contact with the curb on the way up right..? And no tail drag

Transitioning from curbs to anything taller in the hopes of getting to wallrides. I feel it, but still at curb/bank to curb level... Finding a bank to wall will be sick
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:18:46 PM by Skart »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #668 on: November 23, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
Just make a small bank to skate to do wallrides. One day in 1987/1988, I made a small shitty bank that lasted all of a day, but at the end of that day, I could do wallrides.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #669 on: November 23, 2019, 11:55:38 AM »
Jersey barriers are nice for getting tiny wallrides

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #670 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »
Can anyone help me figure out how to tailslide on a bank lip? I have really good ditches near my place, my bag on them is pretty shabby, and I finally got a tailslide back on ledges. Don't have tailslides on ramp, so no transferable skills there. I'm trying to sort of powerslide with my back wheels into a tailslide on a waxed bank, but I just can't seem to get all the way around frontside quick enough to keep the momentum to slide even when I get my tail in the right spot. Any tips?

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #671 on: December 02, 2019, 04:04:40 AM »
Word on the diy bank
Still need to find a chill spot with a barrier as well

Got some little ones fs and bs on a barrier type thing at a park. Fuck yeah. I feel the 1-2 action
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:40:13 PM by Skart »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #672 on: December 03, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
Can anyone help me figure out how to tailslide on a bank lip? I have really good ditches near my place, my bag on them is pretty shabby, and I finally got a tailslide back on ledges. Don't have tailslides on ramp, so no transferable skills there. I'm trying to sort of powerslide with my back wheels into a tailslide on a waxed bank, but I just can't seem to get all the way around frontside quick enough to keep the momentum to slide even when I get my tail in the right spot. Any tips?

That's a pretty funny request to go with your sig, as far as that trick personally I approach it like I would approach a frontside tailslide on a ledge except I'm carving and it's a very lazy pop into it as opposed to trying to go over something. Because of that way of thinking I would probably suck at frontside tailslides on banks to ledges due to being used to the lazy pop though, but I can live with that. Maybe start with getting smooth frontside ollie to tails where you just bash it on the way back in then start trying the same thing faster and from an increasingly diagonal angle.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #673 on: December 08, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »
FS Shuvits, regular. I've got them down switch but I just can't keep the board under me in regular stance.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: December 09, 2019, 01:30:16 AM »
Coming out regular on BS Tailslides. I feel like I'm cheating coming out Fakie. When I actively force myself to come out regular by looking over my shoulder instead of at my feet, I lock in but dont slide.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rmrodge

• Rep: 0
« Reply #675 on: December 10, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
Backside big spins have been giving me so much trouble lately! 

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #676 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
Nollie heels always rocket up my ass
Been learning fs ollie into wallrides I can get it with a bump into the wall but straight off flatground is tough

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #677 on: December 10, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
FS shuvs I got em switch both ways however I cannot skate regular boards without focusing the the tail or nose I know land bolts but sometimes it doesn’t make its way back?!
Dueces Bitch's

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #678 on: December 10, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
I like to think that I have long 50s and in my head I think to make sure I ollie forward - like trying to clear a small gap. This helps me get on top of the grind and as long as its waxed and or your going fast you should be able to go.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #679 on: December 10, 2019, 06:34:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I like to think that I have long 50s and in my head I think to make sure I ollie forward - like trying to clear a small gap. This helps me get on top of the grind and as long as its waxed and or your going fast you should be able to go.

For me it’s all about staying over top of the ledge centered over your board. For BS keep your weight on your heels and for FS weight on your toes. I find it easier to sit on BS longer personally especially true of 5-0s for me. But a super long Fs 50-50 is satisfying. Also turning my shoulder a bit open (arm out) for BS and closing them a bit (arm in) for Fs. Hope that helps love sitting on grinds for as long as possible.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #680 on: December 11, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
Coming out regular on BS Tailslides. I feel like I'm cheating coming out Fakie. When I actively force myself to come out regular by looking over my shoulder instead of at my feet, I lock in but dont slide.
I go into a state of mindlessness when I'm skating so this is more of a mental tip. Get your slides going and don't worry about landing. Once you have a consistent slide on the back tails, take that for granted and just focus on turning your shoulders back regular out of it. It helps if youre not on an obstacle that forces you out of the slide immediately. Think of it as one motion as well.

On the physical side of the trick tip, I can just say, either go faster, lean on your toes more, more wax, or a combo of all three.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #681 on: December 11, 2019, 05:20:53 PM »
I can give more bsts tips when I got more time
In a nutshell: pop and shifty, don't scoop, and definitely don't turn your shoulders

Look at this pic and think shifty
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4OE2LlxxWrc/Siw7MionP4I/AAAAAAAAEh8/65zcZ917zg0/s1600-h/carneybstailchrome.jpg

4:16
Also the backlip right before bsts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECeSIga1Ukk
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:26:31 PM by satan »

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #682 on: December 11, 2019, 06:57:20 PM »
Back boardslide to regular. I can boardslide to fakie on anything you put in front of me but if I try to turn out reg my brain shuts off.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #683 on: December 11, 2019, 06:57:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

For me it’s all about staying over top of the ledge centered over your board. For BS keep your weight on your heels and for FS weight on your toes. I find it easier to sit on BS longer personally especially true of 5-0s for me. But a super long Fs 50-50 is satisfying. Also turning my shoulder a bit open (arm out) for BS and closing them a bit (arm in) for Fs. Hope that helps love sitting on grinds for as long as possible.

Will try it out. Thanks bros.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: December 12, 2019, 01:15:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I go into a state of mindlessness when I'm skating so this is more of a mental tip. Get your slides going and don't worry about landing. Once you have a consistent slide on the back tails, take that for granted and just focus on turning your shoulders back regular out of it. It helps if youre not on an obstacle that forces you out of the slide immediately. Think of it as one motion as well.

On the physical side of the trick tip, I can just say, either go faster, lean on your toes more, more wax, or a combo of all three.

I keep reading the "lean on your toes more", can you elaborate more on that?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: December 12, 2019, 06:11:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Meaning more lean on the back toes more. If you’re pressing more on the toe side of the back tail, it’s less likely stick since there’s less friction on the whole tail.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: December 12, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Meaning more lean on the back toes more. If you’re pressing more on the toe side of the back tail, it’s less likely stick since there’s less friction on the whole tail.

So more pressure on the toe side versus trying to evenly press the tail on the ledge?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #687 on: December 12, 2019, 06:19:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

So more pressure on the toe side versus trying to evenly press the tail on the ledge?
if you’re sticking yes. Obviously don’t overdo it or you’ll get a wild slide. But it can help push you through if sticking is a main issue.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #688 on: December 12, 2019, 07:00:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
if you’re sticking yes. Obviously don’t overdo it or you’ll get a wild slide. But it can help push you through if sticking is a main issue.

Sweet as man I'll try that this weekend!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »
Back boardslide to regular. I can boardslide to fakie on anything you put in front of me but if I try to turn out reg my brain shuts off.
Shoulders. Turn em.