Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151906 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #690 on: December 13, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »
^Nothing wrong with that.

At least I hope not, since that’s pretty much what mine look like, except I’m not in a cool warehouse.

And I’m dressed less stylishly.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WobbleHeadBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #691 on: December 14, 2019, 03:56:19 AM »
Backside big spins have been giving me so much trouble lately!

lean way over your toes & think about Ellington

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #692 on: January 02, 2020, 05:13:47 AM »
Just the ollie...i started up skating early last year after a 10 year break...been skating since the late 80’s. But id never filmed or anything...now that i can film with a phone, im noticing some horrible shit in my skating...like the ollie.

When ever I ollie my back foot is way off the board up until i level out the board and the tail hits my back foot.

I got a picture the other night...i can still manage knee high ollies which is good enough for me but they look like shit.

Any advice??

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #693 on: January 02, 2020, 06:30:13 AM »
FS Shuvits, regular. I've got them down switch but I just can't keep the board under me in regular stance.

I just got over this same thing last week. Switch, they always came super naturally and I never had to think about them but regular were just a mess.

For regular, it's almost like pushing straight down (with very slightly forward scoop) and jumping back. A couple people have given the whole imaginary square example, and it really applies here.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #694 on: January 02, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »
Been trying to learn fakie shuvs but cant land with both feet on. Any tips?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #695 on: January 02, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
Been trying to learn fakie shuvs but cant land with both feet on. Any tips?

Jump a little higher. That way you can't put your other foot down immediately and can start committing to it eventually. Also keep at it. It takes a while to feel ok like with all tricks.

animalflesh

« Reply #696 on: January 02, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
Just the ollie...i started up skating early last year after a 10 year break...been skating since the late 80’s. But id never filmed or anything...now that i can film with a phone, im noticing some horrible shit in my skating...like the ollie.

When ever I ollie my back foot is way off the board up until i level out the board and the tail hits my back foot.

I got a picture the other night...i can still manage knee high ollies which is good enough for me but they look like shit.

Any advice??

Just slow the motion of the Ollie down more and exaggerate the front foot slide more too

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #697 on: January 02, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »

Any advice??

That obstacle looks really fun. Where is that park?

I would say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it with the Ollie, but that’s mostly because I can’t articulate a useful tip. Looks like maybe your kicking back a little and not so much straight down but I could be wrong

If it makes you feel better I’ve been pretty unenthusiastic about how my ollies have felt the last year or so

sammyz

« Reply #698 on: January 02, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...gonna try both those suggestions

sammyz

« Reply #699 on: January 03, 2020, 04:24:43 AM »
Ok...so i did what you guys said, slowed down the motion, kick down instead of out...the other thing i did was move my back foot further towards the back trucks, near the bottom of the tail...BOOM! Dont have photographic evidence, but I definitely felt the board closer to my feet and flatter than before, and i think i may have gained an inch of height too.

Thanks again!

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #700 on: January 03, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »
That’s sick, glad you felt there was improvement

A HOMOSEXUAL PERSON

• Rep: -24
« Reply #701 on: January 03, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »
Hmm mm slowing down the motion might work on some of my lost flip tricks too

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #702 on: January 06, 2020, 09:07:04 AM »
Frontside shuv-its and and 360 flips. I want to have both of these on lock and they are driving me crazy. I'm usually pretty sweaty before I get a few of either. My 360 flips usually look really strained and sketchy. I honestly just think I'm not in shape enough to do these two well. I'm trying to work on it.  Maybe I'll get a little better at them when I size down from 8.5/149 to 8.25/144.

My best chances for landing either first try is defensively in a game of skate.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #703 on: January 06, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »
I have been trying smith grinds on ledges for awhile now and they just won't work ;(
Every 30th try I manage to somehow fall into and out of the grind, but I cannot hold and control the trick at all.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #704 on: January 06, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
I have been trying smith grinds on ledges for awhile now and they just won't work ;(
Every 30th try I manage to somehow fall into and out of the grind, but I cannot hold and control the trick at all.

Are you trying to lock in with your front truck already dipped?  It kind of works to do it like that on a flatbar, but it doesn't work the same on a ledge and that's what really held me up for so long.  Getting into the trick is a two-part process where both parts need to be fluid and coordinated.  The first part is thinking of it like a 5-0 that you manual, except try to get in so your front truck is basically level with the ledge and off to the side at first.  If everything goes well and you're moving across the ledge in that position, the second part is extending your front knee to dip the nose without shifting any weight.  Then you're locked in.  If you try getting in already dipped, you will stick, fall out, go lip, etc., all the time. 

Holding it really is a little like a dragged tail 5-0, in that your weight needs to have the proper balance and tension between front and back feet with almost all of it on the back foot so you can just kind of stand in the grind, but instead of dragging your tail, your board rests on the side of the ledge just under the rail to help with your balance.  I've found this trick is so much harder on ledges than a flatbar and I'm still working on it, but that's what I've figured out works so far.  Hope it helps.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #705 on: January 06, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Ok...so i did what you guys said, slowed down the motion, kick down instead of out...the other thing i did was move my back foot further towards the back trucks, near the bottom of the tail...BOOM! Dont have photographic evidence, but I definitely felt the board closer to my feet and flatter than before, and i think i may have gained an inch of height too.

Thanks again!
also helps just imagining your board is glued to your back foot

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #706 on: January 06, 2020, 04:28:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you trying to lock in with your front truck already dipped?  It kind of works to do it like that on a flatbar, but it doesn't work the same on a ledge and that's what really held me up for so long.  Getting into the trick is a two-part process where both parts need to be fluid and coordinated.  The first part is thinking of it like a 5-0 that you manual, except try to get in so your front truck is basically level with the ledge and off to the side at first.  If everything goes well and you're moving across the ledge in that position, the second part is extending your front knee to dip the nose without shifting any weight.  Then you're locked in.  If you try getting in already dipped, you will stick, fall out, go lip, etc., all the time. 

Holding it really is a little like a dragged tail 5-0, in that your weight needs to have the proper balance and tension between front and back feet with almost all of it on the back foot so you can just kind of stand in the grind, but instead of dragging your tail, your board rests on the side of the ledge just under the rail to help with your balance.  I've found this trick is so much harder on ledges than a flatbar and I'm still working on it, but that's what I've figured out works so far.  Hope it helps.

Gnar'd for the great explanation, like the phase 1 & 2 break down.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Matt

• Rep: 28
« Reply #707 on: January 06, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
Always thought fs pop shuvs just weren't for me when I was younger so I just stopped bothering trying them at some point. Doesn't get much more basic then that. It's kind of annoying seeing people who have skated for like 1% of the time I have land them, so I've been trying and actually got a couple in the last week. Keep almost biting my tongue off for some reason when I try to land them though.
live love laugh

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #708 on: January 06, 2020, 06:20:22 PM »

Any advice??

Have the same problem myself and it took me years to figure out.

It could be your wheels, if u do a lot of powerslides or lipslides on ledges your back wheels are gonna get smaller n smaller and eventually will mess up how u pop tricks.

You’re probably leaning too heavy on your front foot right before popping. Makes some tricks easier and some harder. This happens a lot whenever I’m on a good one n too much of a pile or I haven’t skated in a while.

Something that works for me is to do that toe wiggle thing on your tail then pop your trick right after.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #709 on: January 07, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »
looking for advice on getting switch back 5050s...sw front 5050 is one of go to tricks but I have mental block with getting into backside...I just can't get the back foot to lock in.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #710 on: January 08, 2020, 12:46:04 AM »
looking for advice on getting switch back 5050s...sw front 5050 is one of go to tricks but I have mental block with getting into backside...I just can't get the back foot to lock in.

Roll up at a decent angle, put your front foot slightly further down than you normally would. When you're rolling up and popping you can look at the ledge/the direction you're going and have your shoulders slightly open.

As soon as you pop, turn your shoulders backside so that they are parallel with the ledge, to help with this you can try to look at your back foot immediately after you pop. I find that helps me trick my body into closing off my shoulders better and it also helps line up the board with the ledge. This will be scary af at first because you'll feel really blind to everything but once you get used to it it starts to feel kinda natural.

Also make sure you pop a straight, if not slightly backside, ollie and don't subconsciously turn it frontside at all to get into willy/boardslide/feeble.

Practicing switch ollies parallel (or at a slight angle) backside up a curb can also help you get the feeling. Its tricky but if your only problem is getting your back foot/truck to lock in you're pretty close and definitely got it once you get your shoulders working correctly and aim your trucks a little bit more.

I think a lot of switch tricks (50s, 5-0s, smiths) are easier to learn/get into frontside but once you figure out how to get into them backside its less awkward to hold onto and feels more natural to sit on. Not tailslides for me though, desperately need ssbsts help, can't commit and swing my body/board around whilst still keeping my weight on the tail, the only way I seem to be able to turn the full 90 comfortably is by rotating around the centre of my board as opposed to keeping my weight over the tail which works for lips but is super dangerous for tails.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:41:52 AM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #711 on: January 08, 2020, 05:16:39 AM »
BS Smiths and Lipslides! Can't get over the mental barrier to pop a BS 5-0 and point my toes down for the Smith. Can't bring myself to ollie up and over the top of the ledge to lock in the lipslide.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #712 on: January 08, 2020, 05:42:08 AM »
All of em

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #713 on: January 08, 2020, 08:19:53 AM »
Fs bluntslides, been trying on and off for a long time never actually landed one. I get in, slide a little bit but I feel like once I am properly with the backfoot on the edge of the ledge, I always jump off the board. Might have something to do with counterbalancing them with my front foot but I m not sure.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #714 on: January 08, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
BS Smiths and Lipslides! Can't get over the mental barrier to pop a BS 5-0 and point my toes down for the Smith. Can't bring myself to ollie up and over the top of the ledge to lock in the lipslide.

The way I learned back smiths was to get comfortable with getting into a smith going slow ish without grinding. Think about it more like a missed 5050 instead like a 5-0 where you tend to rocket your ollie a bit.

Once you're comfortable with getting into the back smith position and sticking, try going a bit faster, leaning not only back but also away from the ledge (toeside) when you get in. Also make sure you get into the ledge very gently (ollie into the grind, not onto it) and try have your board and lower body slightly ahead of your upper body and you should slowly be able to start grinding it a bit. Obviously put most of the weight on your back foot, your front foot is only meant to point the front of the board in a dipped position and for the most part should be pretty limp with no real weight over it.

I found getting into the position quite difficult, let alone getting it to grind which is why I think it might be beneficial to break it down into two phases: ollieing into the position and then learning to be delicate/having the correct weight distribution/grinding, so that there isn't too much to think about at once. Also, like with most backside tricks, I find that trying to look at my back foot after popping generally helps me get my shoulders aligned properly.

For back lips, once you're comfortable with getting into back smiths, you can just slightly over rotate the smith and you'll get into a lipslide, that should help you with the fear of getting over the ledge that way. I still need to work on holding these and coming out, board flips on me when I come out a lot because my back foot isn't on the tail enough and is often too much on the bolts.

Fs bluntslides, been trying on and off for a long time never actually landed one. I get in, slide a little bit but I feel like once I am properly with the backfoot on the edge of the ledge, I always jump off the board. Might have something to do with counterbalancing them with my front foot but I m not sure.

When I feel like I'm not sitting on top of it enough (which happens to be when its most blunted sometimes) and I fall back heelside once I stick the landing but don't roll away, putting my front foot more straight as opposed to at a slight angle like a kickflip which I sometimes tend to do seems to help me stay over it a bit.

When you're sliding you don't necessarily need to put weight on your front foot or do any counterbalancing as you're obviously pressing very hard on your back foot (if you can slide them then you know the feeling), but when you're turning out you may need to consciously shift your body weight to be more even over the board towards your front foot as opposed to having it solely over the back foot if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:04:04 PM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #715 on: January 08, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The way I learned back smiths was to get comfortable with getting into a smith going slow ish without grinding. Think about it more like a missed 5050 instead like a 5-0 where you tend to rocket your ollie a bit.

Once you're comfortable with getting into the back smith position and sticking, try going a bit faster, leaning not only back but also away from the ledge (toeside) when you get in. Also make sure you get into the ledge very gently (ollie into the grind, not onto it) and try have your board and lower body slightly ahead of your upper body and you should slowly be able to start grinding it a bit. Obviously put most of the weight on your back foot, your front foot is only meant to point the front of the board in a dipped position and for the most part should be pretty limp with no real weight over it.

I found getting into the position quite difficult, let alone getting it to grind which is why I think it might be beneficial to break it down into two phases: ollieing into the position and then learning to be delicate/having the correct weight distribution/grinding, so that there isn't too much to think about at once. Also, like with most backside tricks, I find that trying to look at my back foot after popping generally helps me get my shoulders aligned properly.

For back lips, once you're comfortable with getting into back smiths, you can just slightly over rotate the smith and you'll get into a lipslide, that should help you with the fear of getting over the ledge that way. I still need to work on holding these and coming out, board flips on me when I come out a lot because my back foot isn't on the tail enough and is often too much on the bolts.

Expand Quote
[close]

When I feel like I'm not sitting on top of it enough (which happens to be when its most blunted sometimes) and I fall back heelside once I stick the landing but don't roll away, putting my front foot more straight as opposed to at a slight angle like a kickflip which I sometimes tend to do seems to help me stay over it a bit.

When you're sliding you don't necessarily need to put weight on your front foot or do any counterbalancing as you're obviously pressing very hard on your back foot (if you can slide them then you know the feeling), but when you're turning out you may need to consciously shift your body weight to be more even over the board towards your front foot as opposed to having it solely over the back foot if that makes sense.

That was really helpful, shalom for that. I'll work on rolling towards the ledge and ollie-ing into the ledge, rather than onto it, I thought this distinction was really helpful.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #716 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That was really helpful, shalom for that. I'll work on rolling towards the ledge and ollie-ing into the ledge, rather than onto it, I thought this distinction was really helpful.

Good luck, I only figured them out mid last year so all this is still fresh in my head. Will be hyped if it ends up helping.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #717 on: January 09, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »
Thanks thzhangdox this might help my bluntslides a lot too. Just too Cola here to they the following days... the Toes of my Front foot point straight forward so I ll try to get rid of that.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #718 on: January 09, 2020, 12:50:55 AM »
Thanks thzhangdox this might help my bluntslides a lot too. Just too Cola here to they the following days... the Toes of my Front foot point straight forward so I ll try to get rid of that.

Ya np. Having my front foot pointed like a kicky also sometimes made the board do a half flip on the way out so for me keeping it straight also helped alleviate that on top of helping me be more on top of it, made getting in feel a bit weirder though. If you're able to slide it a little bit, just try do the very end of the ledge and practice coming out of it after a very short slide/lock in.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: January 09, 2020, 06:43:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good luck, I only figured them out mid last year so all this is still fresh in my head. Will be hyped if it ends up helping.

Got the balls to try them today and it was quite the mind fuck trying to lock in. I have to remind myself to pop and drag diagonally downwards while sliding my back truck in position. I probably only got the pinch on 2 of them after doing around 20 of them but didn't have enough speed to grind anything. It also did help me get over the mental barrier of BS Lipslides since the motion is similar.

Ollie-ing into the ledge vs onto the ledge - that thinking really helped my friend and I today. He's never done FS Smiths before and he was landing them after reminding himself to control his pop more.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m