Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151919 times)

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #720 on: January 09, 2020, 06:48:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have been trying smith grinds on ledges for awhile now and they just won't work ;(
Every 30th try I manage to somehow fall into and out of the grind, but I cannot hold and control the trick at all.
[close]

Are you trying to lock in with your front truck already dipped?  It kind of works to do it like that on a flatbar, but it doesn't work the same on a ledge and that's what really held me up for so long.  Getting into the trick is a two-part process where both parts need to be fluid and coordinated.  The first part is thinking of it like a 5-0 that you manual, except try to get in so your front truck is basically level with the ledge and off to the side at first.  If everything goes well and you're moving across the ledge in that position, the second part is extending your front knee to dip the nose without shifting any weight.  Then you're locked in.  If you try getting in already dipped, you will stick, fall out, go lip, etc., all the time. 

Holding it really is a little like a dragged tail 5-0, in that your weight needs to have the proper balance and tension between front and back feet with almost all of it on the back foot so you can just kind of stand in the grind, but instead of dragging your tail, your board rests on the side of the ledge just under the rail to help with your balance.  I've found this trick is so much harder on ledges than a flatbar and I'm still working on it, but that's what I've figured out works so far.  Hope it helps.
[close]

Gnar'd for the great explanation, like the phase 1 & 2 break down.

yes, thanks! My 5-0s are very inconsistent, but I will think about your advice next time I am working on smith grinds!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #721 on: January 09, 2020, 11:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BS Smiths and Lipslides! Can't get over the mental barrier to pop a BS 5-0 and point my toes down for the Smith. Can't bring myself to ollie up and over the top of the ledge to lock in the lipslide.
[close]

The way I learned back smiths was to get comfortable with getting into a smith going slow ish without grinding. Think about it more like a missed 5050 instead like a 5-0 where you tend to rocket your ollie a bit.

Once you're comfortable with getting into the back smith position and sticking, try going a bit faster, leaning not only back but also away from the ledge (toeside) when you get in. Also make sure you get into the ledge very gently (ollie into the grind, not onto it) and try have your board and lower body slightly ahead of your upper body and you should slowly be able to start grinding it a bit. Obviously put most of the weight on your back foot, your front foot is only meant to point the front of the board in a dipped position and for the most part should be pretty limp with no real weight over it.

I found getting into the position quite difficult, let alone getting it to grind which is why I think it might be beneficial to break it down into two phases: ollieing into the position and then learning to be delicate/having the correct weight distribution/grinding, so that there isn't too much to think about at once. Also, like with most backside tricks, I find that trying to look at my back foot after popping generally helps me get my shoulders aligned properly.

For back lips, once you're comfortable with getting into back smiths, you can just slightly over rotate the smith and you'll get into a lipslide, that should help you with the fear of getting over the ledge that way. I still need to work on holding these and coming out, board flips on me when I come out a lot because my back foot isn't on the tail enough and is often too much on the bolts.

Expand Quote
Fs bluntslides, been trying on and off for a long time never actually landed one. I get in, slide a little bit but I feel like once I am properly with the backfoot on the edge of the ledge, I always jump off the board. Might have something to do with counterbalancing them with my front foot but I m not sure.
[close]

When I feel like I'm not sitting on top of it enough (which happens to be when its most blunted sometimes) and I fall back heelside once I stick the landing but don't roll away, putting my front foot more straight as opposed to at a slight angle like a kickflip which I sometimes tend to do seems to help me stay over it a bit.

When you're sliding you don't necessarily need to put weight on your front foot or do any counterbalancing as you're obviously pressing very hard on your back foot (if you can slide them then you know the feeling), but when you're turning out you may need to consciously shift your body weight to be more even over the board towards your front foot as opposed to having it solely over the back foot if that makes sense.
[close]

That was really helpful, shalom for that. I'll work on rolling towards the ledge and ollie-ing into the ledge, rather than onto it, I thought this distinction was really helpful.
[close]

Good luck, I only figured them out mid last year so all this is still fresh in my head. Will be hyped if it ends up helping.
[close]

Got the balls to try them today and it was quite the mind fuck trying to lock in. I have to remind myself to pop and drag diagonally downwards while sliding my back truck in position. I probably only got the pinch on 2 of them after doing around 20 of them but didn't have enough speed to grind anything. It also did help me get over the mental barrier of BS Lipslides since the motion is similar.

Ollie-ing into the ledge vs onto the ledge - that thinking really helped my friend and I today. He's never done FS Smiths before and he was landing them after reminding himself to control his pop more.

Yeah locking into back smiths is kind of a mind fuck if you haven't done it before. You just have to get used to the feeling, which is why I think it would be good to not worry about grinding or anything at all first, just ollie and smack down straight onto the ledge into smith position and jump off. Once you can do that most tries without too much effort, then work on ollieing into the ledge, getting the correct weight distribution and grinding it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #722 on: January 09, 2020, 04:44:25 PM »
Yeah locking into back smiths is kind of a mind fuck if you haven't done it before. You just have to get used to the feeling, which is why I think it would be good to not worry about grinding or anything at all first, just ollie and smack down straight onto the ledge into smith position and jump off. Once you can do that most tries without too much effort, then work on ollieing into the ledge, getting the correct weight distribution and grinding it.

My friends and I had the rare privilege of being the only 3 people skating the park, so we got to fuck around with different tricks without holding up the line.

Next one to work on will be BS Nosegrinds.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #723 on: January 18, 2020, 07:28:05 PM »
My kickflips won’t stay under my feet. The tail floats too much heelside. Like 45°. Am I pushing off my tail like a shuv it or something? I’m really not scooping, actually angling my rear foot toward the tail a bit.
Or could it be my front kick foot hitting the nose too soon or something, not the pocket?

Ramrod

• Rep: 7
« Reply #724 on: January 18, 2020, 10:18:02 PM »
My kickflips won’t stay under my feet. The tail floats too much heelside. Like 45°. Am I pushing off my tail like a shuv it or something? I’m really not scooping, actually angling my rear foot toward the tail a bit.
Or could it be my front kick foot hitting the nose too soon or something, not the pocket?

Try squaring your shoulders with the board, and focus on popping straight down.
I used to have that problem as well.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2020, 04:50:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ll try. Squaring up is probably it. Gets weird bow legged almost with angled front foot and back foot in pocket.

I see also seem to use the whole side of my forefoot instead of a sharp toe angle. Can tell on my shoes. Never understood that very front toe wear

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #726 on: January 19, 2020, 05:11:01 AM »
Sounds like a combination of both the aforementioned shoulders issue and probably bad timing, remember you have to first ollie, level it out and then extend the flick (ideally). If you do it like this the board should remain under your feet no matter what and then you can learn how to control your shoulders for frontside and backside flips.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2020, 08:31:29 AM »
Sounds like a combination of both the aforementioned shoulders issue and probably bad timing, remember you have to first ollie, level it out and then extend the flick (ideally). If you do it like this the board should remain under your feet no matter what and then you can learn how to control your shoulders for frontside and backside flips.

expand on this please

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #728 on: January 19, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’ll try. Squaring up is probably it. Gets weird bow legged almost with angled front foot and back foot in pocket.

I see also seem to use the whole side of my forefoot instead of a sharp toe angle. Can tell on my shoes. Never understood that very front toe wear

my good kickflips use the side of the my foot (the joint where the pinky toe connects to the foot) and my foot is sliding straight off the nose. 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

expand on this please

Well if you ollie and then flick (observing a local who was doing their kickflips like that in a very obvious way is actually what helped me learn kickflips 20 years ago), your kickflip becomes de facto as versatile as your ollie, then it's basically a matter of confidence and tweaking your technique if you're trying to do it on anything else than flatground. Once one gets there then it's pretty much muscle memory to keep their board underneath them on anything kickflip, as the flip and catch become automatic. Popped backside kickflip (not talking the shove-it kickflip with a body turn style) is essentially the same thing with the timing of a leveled out backside ollie. Frontside flips are different if you do them hardflip style, but if you do them with a kickflip then late turn (with the occasional revert on the ground) then it's also essentially the same thing as a basic kickflip (maybe more noticeable on switch frontside flips given the way most people do them) just opening your shoulders so that they lead the way frontside.

Actually my own problem with regular stance frontside flips is exactly that I tend to do them hardflip style (on flatground) and can't really seem to open my shoulders in a way that feels just right, so I rarely commit to them. But switch frontside flips I do as switch flip then late turn and it really feels like a barely modified switch flip to me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:05:52 PM by silhouette »

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #730 on: January 19, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

expand on this please
[close]

Well if you ollie and then flick (observing a local who was doing their kickflips like that in a very obvious way is actually what helped me learn kickflips 20 years ago), your kickflip becomes de facto as versatile as your ollie, then it's basically a matter of confidence and tweaking your technique if you're trying to do it on anything else than flatground. Once one gets there then it's pretty much muscle memory to keep their board underneath them on anything kickflip, as the flip and catch become automatic. Popped backside kickflip (not talking the shove-it kickflip with a body turn style) is essentially the same thing with the timing of a leveled out backside ollie. Frontside flips are different if you do them hardflip style, but if you do them with a kickflip then late turn (with the occasional revert on the ground) then it's also essentially the same thing as a basic kickflip (maybe more noticeable on switch frontside flips given the way most people do them) just opening your shoulders so that they lead the way frontside.

Actually my own problem with regular stance frontside flips is exactly that I tend to do them hardflip style (on flatground) and can't really seem to open my shoulders in a way that feels just right, so I rarely commit to them. But switch frontside flips I do as switch flip then late turn and it really feels like a barely modified switch flip to me.

thanks man - i have the same issue with committing to it.  Backside flips have always felt natural but frontside feels like im going to roll my ankle.

switch front 180s and even 360s seemed easier than normal.  I had been developing my normal frontside 180 thinking its just a matter of combining that motion with a kickflip, but yea, commitment.

I think AO has textbook FS flips evidenced by this clip @ :45 https://youtu.be/o8g4OTq72AI?t=45

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #731 on: January 24, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
Back nosegrind 180's have been difficult for me. They don't piss me off really but they're taking longer than they should have to get consistently. I've done a small handful of them and it helps me to grind longer as opposed to dinking the ledge and nollie back 180ing out. When I go to pop out I'll snowplow and stick or fall off the end.

Also, back 3's. I can only do them one-footed like you'd see Kader doing them, but whenever I start to land them consistently I get injured and my body forgets. It's like the universe telling me to stop.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #732 on: January 24, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

my good kickflips use the side of the my foot (the joint where the pinky toe connects to the foot) and my foot is sliding straight off the nose. 
so from set up foot placement to flick your foot actually slides to the heel side of your board? That’s the only way it could slide straight off?

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #733 on: January 24, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
so from set up foot placement to flick your foot actually slides to the heel side of your board? That’s the only way it could slide straight off?

Just set up this deck so the grip is tearing my shoes up. Luckily, it shows where my foot slides. Blue is kickflip and yellow is 3 flip.

It’s not “straight off the nose” but that’s what I’m imagining before I pop

Pre flick, I personally don’t think foot placement matters a whole lot but I have found that if you’re kickflipping down something, it helps to have your feet in an Ollie position

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #734 on: January 26, 2020, 11:23:19 PM »
How tf do you pop out of crooked grinds, not even in the middle of the ledge but just properly off the end. I can do halfcab, nollie, sw, fakie/nollie fs, 180sw amongst other variations but can't pop out properly for shit. For the most part they look ok but I know the feeling/look of a proper pop out and mine ain't it.

Half the time when I roll away after trying to give it the nudge out the board detaches a bit from my feet and hits the ground first. I struggle to find the pressure point and cant seem to get any sort of real leverage out so when I do try to give it a nudge it usually flips on me. I'm supposed to put the weight on my heels(toe for fs) I guess but I feel like I'm already doing that?

I find that fakie frontside crooks seem to be the most conducive towards popping out properly but that trick is hard in other ways so I usually can't focus on the pop out. Nollie bs crooks set me up for a slightly better pop out than regular ones too for whatever reason.

Once in a while I'll do a crook that locks and grinds perfectly and it will automatically do a solid pop out. Those feel super satisfying but I can't seem to recreate it when I try.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:26:20 PM by tzhangdox »

RapedByRepublicans

• Rep: -17
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2020, 12:22:57 AM »
I can't heelflip for dogshit and I hate fifty fiddies so much that if I'm trying a nose grind or a five o and both my trucks touch I get off my board (more like off the ground)and kick my own ass

RapedByRepublicans

• Rep: -17
« Reply #736 on: January 27, 2020, 12:32:48 AM »
Expand Quote
BS Smiths and Lipslides! Can't get over the mental barrier to pop a BS 5-0 and point my toes down for the Smith. Can't bring myself to ollie up and over the top of the ledge to lock in the lipslide.
[close]

Yeah man that up and over stick your back foot out and turn your body half backwards on a back lip is tricky for moi too but they are just so goddamn sick (re: a million Heath Kirchart ones, but I especially like two Jamie Thomas does, the one at that Atlanta rail where Corey duffel fucked up his wrist in right foot forward, it's one of Jamie's last tricks in dying to live, and the one he does where he initially breaks his board before he lands it in cold war), josh Kalis and Sean sheffey both have such sick ones too, oh wait were supposed to be talking tricks that give us fits rather than who is gnarly... Sorry

The way I learned back smiths was to get comfortable with getting into a smith going slow ish without grinding. Think about it more like a missed 5050 instead like a 5-0 where you tend to rocket your ollie a bit.

Once you're comfortable with getting into the back smith position and sticking, try going a bit faster, leaning not only back but also away from the ledge (toeside) when you get in. Also make sure you get into the ledge very gently (ollie into the grind, not onto it) and try have your board and lower body slightly ahead of your upper body and you should slowly be able to start grinding it a bit. Obviously put most of the weight on your back foot, your front foot is only meant to point the front of the board in a dipped position and for the most part should be pretty limp with no real weight over it.

I found getting into the position quite difficult, let alone getting it to grind which is why I think it might be beneficial to break it down into two phases: ollieing into the position and then learning to be delicate/having the correct weight distribution/grinding, so that there isn't too much to think about at once. Also, like with most backside tricks, I find that trying to look at my back foot after popping generally helps me get my shoulders aligned properly.

For back lips, once you're comfortable with getting into back smiths, you can just slightly over rotate the smith and you'll get into a lipslide, that should help you with the fear of getting over the ledge that way. I still need to work on holding these and coming out, board flips on me when I come out a lot because my back foot isn't on the tail enough and is often too much on the bolts.

Expand Quote
Fs bluntslides, been trying on and off for a long time never actually landed one. I get in, slide a little bit but I feel like once I am properly with the backfoot on the edge of the ledge, I always jump off the board. Might have something to do with counterbalancing them with my front foot but I m not sure.
[close]

When I feel like I'm not sitting on top of it enough (which happens to be when its most blunted sometimes) and I fall back heelside once I stick the landing but don't roll away, putting my front foot more straight as opposed to at a slight angle like a kickflip which I sometimes tend to do seems to help me stay over it a bit.

When you're sliding you don't necessarily need to put weight on your front foot or do any counterbalancing as you're obviously pressing very hard on your back foot (if you can slide them then you know the feeling), but when you're turning out you may need to consciously shift your body weight to be more even over the board towards your front foot as opposed to having it solely over the back foot if that makes sense.

animalflesh

« Reply #737 on: January 27, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »
Always thought fs pop shuvs just weren't for me when I was younger so I just stopped bothering trying them at some point. Doesn't get much more basic then that. It's kind of annoying seeing people who have skated for like 1% of the time I have land them, so I've been trying and actually got a couple in the last week. Keep almost biting my tongue off for some reason when I try to land them though.

Front foot flat across the board, back foot positioned where like the toe/ ball of your foot area is right dead center on the tail

Then you pop and as soon as you feel your board really snap you kinda kick your back foot out away from you forward and suck your legs up and it just does it?

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #738 on: January 27, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Always thought fs pop shuvs just weren't for me when I was younger so I just stopped bothering trying them at some point. Doesn't get much more basic then that. It's kind of annoying seeing people who have skated for like 1% of the time I have land them, so I've been trying and actually got a couple in the last week. Keep almost biting my tongue off for some reason when I try to land them though.
[close]

Front foot flat across the board, back foot positioned where like the toe/ ball of your foot area is right dead center on the tail

Then you pop and as soon as you feel your board really snap you kinda kick your back foot out away from you forward and suck your legs up and it just does it?
I put my back foot on the heel side (cornerish area) of my tail. Popping there makes your board do a 180, you can push more or less straight down.
If you find REALLY slick ground you could try slidey front shuvs to get the feel of the motion.

animalflesh

« Reply #739 on: January 28, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
I never tried that, I’m gonna try and see if it makes them pop higher

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #740 on: February 04, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
Front nosegrind advice?

Even off the end of a ledge I feel like I’m gonna smack my back truck getting off of it. And I naturally rotate frontside when getting into them so I go into dumb “overcrooks” a lot.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #741 on: February 04, 2020, 05:54:27 PM »
Front nosegrind advice?

Even off the end of a ledge I feel like I’m gonna smack my back truck getting off of it. And I naturally rotate frontside when getting into them so I go into dumb “overcrooks” a lot.

I treat mine like locked-in nosemannys, which I know sounds dumb but I don't know how to better describe the technique that's not the snowplow style. They work just like that too, essentially as the perfect logical mix of a 50-50 and a nosewheelie. I do get what you mean though because I have the going-over-the-top-frontside thing going on switch frontside nosegrinds, probably because I learned switch nosegrind reverts first. Just being off axis like that makes the trick feel completely different to me. The position of the shoulders on the ollie seem to be what dictates that.

Off the end of a ledge you just gotta push off the nose like you would out of nosewheelie if you can do that. You don't have to pop (although getting actual nollie pop out of frontside nosegrinds feels fucking amazing), just nudge that front truck ahead of you. It's always tempting to start putting the back truck down before the dismount but that's also exactly how one perfectly invalidates a nosegrind.

Mid ledge I have to pop an actual nollie out of my frontside nosegrinds because of my technique, which again feels cool when it works but seems harder than how people with the snowplow technique do it where it almost looks like a noseblunt pop out type of rebound.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:58:42 PM by silhouette »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #742 on: February 08, 2020, 04:37:55 PM »
What’s the secret to a good shifty, mine are garbage and I would like to cruise around throwing them

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #743 on: February 09, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Front nosegrind advice?

[close]

I treat mine like locked-in nosemannys, which I know sounds dumb but I don't know how to better describe the technique that's not the snowplow style. They work just like that too, essentially as the perfect logical mix of a 50-50 and a nosewheelie. I do get what you mean though because I have the going-over-the-top-frontside thing going on switch frontside nosegrinds, probably because I learned switch nosegrind reverts first. Just being off axis like that makes the trick feel completely different to me. The position of the shoulders on the ollie seem to be what dictates that.

Off the end of a ledge you just gotta push off the nose like you would out of nosewheelie if you can do that. You don't have to pop (although getting actual nollie pop out of frontside nosegrinds feels fucking amazing), just nudge that front truck ahead of you. It's always tempting to start putting the back truck down before the dismount but that's also exactly how one perfectly invalidates a nosegrind.

Mid ledge I have to pop an actual nollie out of my frontside nosegrinds because of my technique, which again feels cool when it works but seems harder than how people with the snowplow technique do it where it almost looks like a noseblunt pop out type of rebound.

Remember to pop just high enough for your trucks to get on, shoulders parallel with the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #744 on: February 10, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Front nosegrind advice?

[close]

[close]

Remember to pop just high enough for your trucks to get on, shoulders parallel with the ledge.

Good looks bros I’ll try this if it ever stops raining.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: February 10, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Front nosegrind advice?

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good looks bros I’ll try this if it ever stops raining.

Anyone got tips for BS Nosegrinds? Conceptually I know it is like a FS one but I can't wrap my head around placing a nose manual on the heel side of the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #746 on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:26 PM »
Back nosegrinds seem like a huge mind fuck when you think of them like a nose manual but they’re not too bad. I never tried them because i thought they were impossible and weren’t for me, but one day i did and blasted one across an 8 ft ledge within like 5 tries. Find a lowish skatepark ledge that you can hit straight on, as opposed to the side. Start out with some back 50’s and gradually work your way more towards the nose. You kinda want to be leaning forward and you want your front truck engaged  before you pop if that makes sense. Like during a 5-0 your back truck is engaged and turning, so think about it vice versa. So do some 50’s and get comfortable getting your front truck on first and start toying with leaning towards the nose and popping out nollie. Put your front foot near the bolts, like probably farther forward than for most tricks. Here’s where it gets crazy and it’s what made it click...you literally just put your front truck on the ledge hard while going fast and it works. I’m telling you, just think about really putting your truck on there, dont over complicate it by thinking of it like a manual. The resistance from the grind is nice and stable and easier for me to balance than a nose manny. Your back foot should be somewhere on the toe side around the tail and bolts, you’ll figure out the angle it needs to be. Get to the end and pop out. Watch Delatorre, AVE, etc... You can do it!!! They’re definitely easier with tighter trucks.

I do front nose grinds like a nose manual but wish i could snow plow because it seems easier to pop out on concrete. Any tips on how to get the snow plow effect and pop out mid ledge?
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: February 10, 2020, 10:55:49 PM »
Back nosegrinds seem like a huge mind fuck when you think of them like a nose manual but they’re not too bad. I never tried them because i thought they were impossible and weren’t for me, but one day i did and blasted one across an 8 ft ledge within like 5 tries. Find a lowish skatepark ledge that you can hit straight on, as opposed to the side. Start out with some back 50’s and gradually work your way more towards the nose. You kinda want to be leaning forward and you want your front truck engaged  before you pop if that makes sense. Like during a 5-0 your back truck is engaged and turning, so think about it vice versa. So do some 50’s and get comfortable getting your front truck on first and start toying with leaning towards the nose and popping out nollie. Put your front foot near the bolts, like probably farther forward than for most tricks. Here’s where it gets crazy and it’s what made it click...you literally just put your front truck on the ledge hard while going fast and it works. I’m telling you, just think about really putting your truck on there, dont over complicate it by thinking of it like a manual. The resistance from the grind is nice and stable and easier for me to balance than a nose manny. Your back foot should be somewhere on the toe side around the tail and bolts, you’ll figure out the angle it needs to be. Get to the end and pop out. Watch Delatorre, AVE, etc... You can do it!!! They’re definitely easier with tighter trucks.

I do front nose grinds like a nose manual but wish i could snow plow because it seems easier to pop out on concrete. Any tips on how to get the snow plow effect and pop out mid ledge?

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, going to blast a few today at the park. Do you find it easier to plow through them versus balancing on them like Wenning or Pops? For FS Nosegrinds I try and position my front foot way up the board, just over the front truck so I can avoid smashing my front truck on the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #748 on: February 11, 2020, 01:02:05 AM »
Random but for backside nosegrinds, I was scared to commit at first so the first ones I did, I learned by first nosemannying the ledge approaching straight on, then getting closer and closer to the edge and into the position, if that makes sense. I think it really helped me get a sense of the feel for that trick because you can focus on the grind and dismount every time, as opposed to wasting time learning to get onto the ledge first. You will have to eventually, but then you'll also know how the trick is supposed to feel, what exact position you're supposed to ollie into and I don't know, something about nosemanny to b/s nosegrind is actually quite fun to do.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #749 on: February 11, 2020, 04:26:12 AM »
Random but for backside nosegrinds, I was scared to commit at first so the first ones I did, I learned by first nosemannying the ledge approaching straight on, then getting closer and closer to the edge and into the position, if that makes sense. I think it really helped me get a sense of the feel for that trick because you can focus on the grind and dismount every time, as opposed to wasting time learning to get onto the ledge first. You will have to eventually, but then you'll also know how the trick is supposed to feel, what exact position you're supposed to ollie into and I don't know, something about nosemanny to b/s nosegrind is actually quite fun to do.

That's a good approach, need to get over the mental barrier of going backwards onto a ledge. I'll try and hit up the park early tomorrow so I can work on them both FS and BS uninterrupted.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m