Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151933 times)

themanwhomakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #750 on: February 11, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Back nosegrinds seem like a huge mind fuck when you think of them like a nose manual but they’re not too bad. I never tried them because i thought they were impossible and weren’t for me, but one day i did and blasted one across an 8 ft ledge within like 5 tries. Find a lowish skatepark ledge that you can hit straight on, as opposed to the side. Start out with some back 50’s and gradually work your way more towards the nose. You kinda want to be leaning forward and you want your front truck engaged  before you pop if that makes sense. Like during a 5-0 your back truck is engaged and turning, so think about it vice versa. So do some 50’s and get comfortable getting your front truck on first and start toying with leaning towards the nose and popping out nollie. Put your front foot near the bolts, like probably farther forward than for most tricks. Here’s where it gets crazy and it’s what made it click...you literally just put your front truck on the ledge hard while going fast and it works. I’m telling you, just think about really putting your truck on there, dont over complicate it by thinking of it like a manual. The resistance from the grind is nice and stable and easier for me to balance than a nose manny. Your back foot should be somewhere on the toe side around the tail and bolts, you’ll figure out the angle it needs to be. Get to the end and pop out. Watch Delatorre, AVE, etc... You can do it!!! They’re definitely easier with tighter trucks.

I do front nose grinds like a nose manual but wish i could snow plow because it seems easier to pop out on concrete. Any tips on how to get the snow plow effect and pop out mid ledge?
[close]

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, going to blast a few today at the park. Do you find it easier to plow through them versus balancing on them like Wenning or Pops? For FS Nosegrinds I try and position my front foot way up the board, just over the front truck so I can avoid smashing my front truck on the ledge.

I personally find it easier to balance them. Between mine and silhouette’s advice, you will definitely get them soon.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #751 on: February 11, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
Back nosegrinds seem like a huge mind fuck when you think of them like a nose manual but they’re not too bad. I never tried them because i thought they were impossible and weren’t for me, but one day i did and blasted one across an 8 ft ledge within like 5 tries. Find a lowish skatepark ledge that you can hit straight on, as opposed to the side. Start out with some back 50’s and gradually work your way more towards the nose. You kinda want to be leaning forward and you want your front truck engaged  before you pop if that makes sense. Like during a 5-0 your back truck is engaged and turning, so think about it vice versa. So do some 50’s and get comfortable getting your front truck on first and start toying with leaning towards the nose and popping out nollie. Put your front foot near the bolts, like probably farther forward than for most tricks. Here’s where it gets crazy and it’s what made it click...you literally just put your front truck on the ledge hard while going fast and it works. I’m telling you, just think about really putting your truck on there, dont over complicate it by thinking of it like a manual. The resistance from the grind is nice and stable and easier for me to balance than a nose manny. Your back foot should be somewhere on the toe side around the tail and bolts, you’ll figure out the angle it needs to be. Get to the end and pop out. Watch Delatorre, AVE, etc... You can do it!!! They’re definitely easier with tighter trucks.

I do front nose grinds like a nose manual but wish i could snow plow because it seems easier to pop out on concrete. Any tips on how to get the snow plow effect and pop out mid ledge?

imma try this next time I skate the park! good tips dude.

I plow my FS nosegrinds but i always had trouble with them untill i learned noseblunts - figuring out that over the ledge balance on the front foot is what mae them click for me. i dont even think about balance anymore, jus ollie up and get the weight over the nose

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #752 on: February 12, 2020, 01:20:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, going to blast a few today at the park. Do you find it easier to plow through them versus balancing on them like Wenning or Pops? For FS Nosegrinds I try and position my front foot way up the board, just over the front truck so I can avoid smashing my front truck on the ledge.
[close]

I personally find it easier to balance them. Between mine and silhouette’s advice, you will definitely get them soon.

Thanks pals, landed 2 today during an early afternoon session! It became way less daunting one I thought of it as trying to pop a nose manny onto the side of the ledge. Pop off the edge still needs some work, my back truck clipped the ledge but I'll take what I can get today.

Learning way too late into skating it's better to pop low and controlled for ledge tricks.

Edit: make that 3
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:26:07 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

grindr

• Rep: 3
« Reply #753 on: February 12, 2020, 03:30:34 AM »

I balance mine like a normal nose grind, then kind of shifty into some sorta overcrook-noseblunt and pop out of that if that makes any sense.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #754 on: February 12, 2020, 09:11:04 AM »
Does anyone angle their sliding foot on nollie heels?

When I watch other people do them, it looks like both feet are square with the board.

I seem to only get them when my sliding foot angles the toes towards the nose.

TheHolyLamb

• Rep: -1
« Reply #755 on: February 12, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
I really need help learning how to 3 shuv. I keep rotating tre flips. I can't get the board to stay flat.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:25:24 AM by TheHolyLamb »

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #756 on: February 12, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »

Rocklobster: Super sick, glad i could help.

Grindr+Wobbleheadbob: I understand what you guys mean. I’ve done countless front nosegrinds in that position but i always fuck up the mid ledge pop out. Ideally i’d like to learn them like Tom Knox where he can jam in and out in one motion.Typically on a nose grind i just haul ass and jam it in there but maybe i should practice going slower and try to finesse it more.  Is your weight somewhat on the heel on your front foot? Back foot just like a normal nosemanny/nosegrind pop out? Is there a tip or something you noticed for getting that pop out to stay under you?
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #757 on: February 14, 2020, 04:25:30 AM »

Rocklobster: Super sick, glad i could help.

Grindr+Wobbleheadbob: I understand what you guys mean. I’ve done countless front nosegrinds in that position but i always fuck up the mid ledge pop out. Ideally i’d like to learn them like Tom Knox where he can jam in and out in one motion.Typically on a nose grind i just haul ass and jam it in there but maybe i should practice going slower and try to finesse it more.  Is your weight somewhat on the heel on your front foot? Back foot just like a normal nosemanny/nosegrind pop out? Is there a tip or something you noticed for getting that pop out to stay under you?

admitedly i am not the greatest at mid ledge pop outs but the ones i have done I kinda think of the actual pop as one of those crack nollies you do on raised slabs, then body wise i am just thinking about getting every thing straightened out away from the ledge if that makes any sense?

I feel like my weight is more on the ball of my front foot than anywhere else, maybe if your weight is on the heel hat might be whats messing you up?

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #758 on: February 18, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
Anyone got tips for switch slappy crooks? Got them regs want to learn them switch. I can’t seem to adjust my weight and jam into it like a regular one. Also haven’t dedicated much time to it. Just moved and there’s a curb right down the street begging to get clear coated.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #759 on: February 18, 2020, 04:32:12 PM »
you riding the board backwards rolling up? I had more luck locking them in when I had the board regular, usually for everything else I'll skate the board backwards switch. felt like I had a little more leverage using the nose .

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #760 on: February 19, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
Does anyone angle their sliding foot on nollie heels?

When I watch other people do them, it looks like both feet are square with the board.

I seem to only get them when my sliding foot angles the toes towards the nose.

That's how I do them. It's probably good to try and learn them with your foot more square to get more height. So it's more of a nollie + flick.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #761 on: February 20, 2020, 05:23:30 AM »
Fs 3 no complies, no comply reverts.

I’m ok with regular 180’s, but I’m not precise enough with my foot placement to do those tricks above.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #762 on: February 20, 2020, 05:49:29 AM »

I’m ok with regular 180’s, but I’m not precise enough with my foot placement to do those tricks above.

Those aren't so much about having precise foot placement (mine is the same regardless of if I want to revert whichever way or not) as they are about mustering the balls (at first) to actually jump with the board in the direction you're going, whereas on normal 43's you can kind of just hover over the board while it stays under you. Here you have to alter your momentum a bit on the jump and really go after those back wheels with your weight, even if you don't get the revert you should still leap forwards in a way that makes sure you're landing on that back foot (which is why it's so obvious someone was trying to revert and not just going for a 180 when they bail on that trick). Sometimes you'll miss the tail altogether and still make the revert by just reverting on one foot with that foot over the bolts instead, still good.

That's mostly for the revert/shifty version, for 360's the same also applies but I know when I first learned mine I could only do them all in the air for reasons similar to yours, spinning 360 like that was too disorienting to commit to a blind jump and essentially a one-footed landing. Then I guess I got better at the revert version and eventually those just started clicking. They're all in the shoulders and you should mentally aim at overrotating and overextending a 43 for those whereas for revert you want to think slight underrotation if anything (at first).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:51:32 AM by silhouette »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #763 on: February 20, 2020, 07:12:30 AM »

for the 3s i swerve/lean into them, kinda sets you up for it with a little more momentum

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #764 on: February 20, 2020, 07:55:30 AM »
Kickflips. Damn board always wraps around my front foot and rapes my front ankle. It used to hurt, but I got a fat scar there now and get used to it. Mad annoying tho.

Board always turns slightly backside, and I don't feel any control over it, I just flail around and it works out sometimes. often land too far forward and end up in a nose manual type thing too.

Most annoying thing is how easy it is. Sometimes I'll have them on lock (not done well, but every try), and other times I'll spend 45 minutes at the end of a session just trying to get ONE. So fucking frustrating

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #765 on: February 20, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
Kickflips. Damn board always wraps around my front foot and rapes my front ankle. It used to hurt, but I got a fat scar there now and get used to it. Mad annoying tho.

Board always turns slightly backside, and I don't feel any control over it, I just flail around and it works out sometimes. often land too far forward and end up in a nose manual type thing too.

Most annoying thing is how easy it is. Sometimes I'll have them on lock (not done well, but every try), and other times I'll spend 45 minutes at the end of a session just trying to get ONE. So fucking frustrating
i feel this. i was screwing around and that front foot thing was happening to me too. Then i just relaxed my front ankle and tried to actually "flick" off the front and it takes that away. I feel like it happens when my front foot is too stiff and im forcing it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #766 on: February 20, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »
does anyone have tips for fs tailslides? I can jump into them kinda okay but after a mean slip out to back smack on a curb I am afraid to really commit to them.
IG: @flowterspace

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #767 on: February 20, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
does anyone have tips for fs tailslides? I can jump into them kinda okay but after a mean slip out to back smack on a curb I am afraid to really commit to them.

I’m the opposite currently. I used to have them. Now my issue is when I pop into them my tail doesn’t stay with my back foot. Sometimes my back foot lands on the ledge in position ready to slide but the board is left behind. Wtf is that about yo.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #768 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:51 AM »
Maybe that's too general of a piece of advice but for both of you guys' problems on kickflips turning backside and leaving the board behind on tailslides, it sounds like you're not doing enough of a ollie into the trick because you're too focused on the idea of the trick itself. Maybe focusing on a serious, stabilized ollie and then adding the motion of the trick is what you need. For the kickflip's case, also make sure to watch your shoulders.

cosmicgypsies' tip on 360 no-complies is also very valid.

Matt

• Rep: 28
« Reply #769 on: February 21, 2020, 08:46:51 AM »
Yeah I think you're right about fs tailslides. I've always had a hard time with them, and really tried to work on just tail stalls but I think I'm always so focused on getting into them that I forget that my front foot has to actually do it's job on the ollie part. Like I don't push it forward and level out the board. It's so bad that I have trouble even visualizing fs tailslides in my mind. I think I need to also consider where my nose needs to go relative to the ledge in space. Waiting for the snow to melt so I can try my theory on a curb.
live love laugh

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #770 on: February 22, 2020, 01:06:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i feel this. i was screwing around and that front foot thing was happening to me too. Then i just relaxed my front ankle and tried to actually "flick" off the front and it takes that away. I feel like it happens when my front foot is too stiff and im forcing it.

Keep your shoulders square that should stop the bs rotation.

I have my weight leaning a little further forward than dead centre of the board

when you flick, drag your toe up over the bottom heelside truck bolt and out of the top of the nose pocket

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 40
« Reply #771 on: February 22, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
If your back foot gets left behind on Fs Tailslides, try to actually look at your back foot right after you ollie - I had that problem, too, and this together with approaching the ledge at a parallel angle and popping off a little closer to the edge fixed it for me.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:52 PM »
Idk. Sounds like it's just a headtrip or mindfuck for you?
When I feel like I'm sliding out on a front tail my natural instinct is to ollie to fakie. I feel like I flinched and did that once and my body just does it on it's own now. I've rarely done a front tail to fakie on purpose..

What out for crazy waxed ledges?
Don't jam your tail in too hard? Shifty and set it on the curb/ledge.
Don't push your board to far in front of you and do a stiff legged, lock-kneed slide. Don't want your back leg super stiff or straight.
Stand on top of it a lil with you're knees slightly bent so you can push it, or ease off or ollie out when it's too slidey.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #773 on: February 25, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Idk. Sounds like it's just a headtrip or mindfuck for you?
When I feel like I'm sliding out on a front tail my natural instinct is to ollie to fakie. I feel like I flinched and did that once and my body just does it on it's own now. I've rarely done a front tail to fakie on purpose..

What out for crazy waxed ledges?
Don't jam your tail in too hard? Shifty and set it on the curb/ledge.
Don't push your board to far in front of you and do a stiff legged, lock-kneed slide. Don't want your back leg super stiff or straight.
Stand on top of it a lil with you're knees slightly bent so you can push it, or ease off or ollie out when it's too slidey.

Thanks mate. I will try it with a big board on a curb first.
IG: @flowterspace

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #774 on: February 25, 2020, 12:29:07 PM »
Thanks doods. As usual I’m all over the place thinking about learning 10 tricks while realistically only skating like twice a week. But one more for ya...

Any tips on coming out of crooks back to regs? I’ve been 180ing out to fakie most of my life and it’s time to grow up.

I can land regs off the end of a ledge like 1 in 10 tries but not super comfortable with it plus I want to learn mid ledge pop out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 03:44:01 PM by VHS ERA »

Frontsaladbowl

« Reply #775 on: February 25, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
Almost 15 years of skating clocked in and I'm still trying to do nose manuals
preach

satan

« Reply #776 on: February 25, 2020, 08:00:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Almost 15 years of skating clocked in and I'm still trying to do nose manuals
[close]
preach
Do one across a parking space. Figure out a comfortable foot position for you..
Then find a shortish manny pad you can go straight at
Don't ollie..
Put your feet in that comfy position
Lift up, push down, do a nose manny..
Then learn to ollie into that comfy stance. You can practice this standing still

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
Thanks doods. As usual I’m all over the place thinking about learning 10 tricks while realistically only skating like twice a week. But one more for ya...

Any tips on coming out of crooks back to regs? I’ve been 180ing out to fakie most of my life and it’s time to grow up.

I can land regs off the end of a ledge like 1 in 10 tries but not super comfortable with it plus I want to learn mid ledge pop out.
Same here, I can go to regs on curbs but on ledges can’t quite get them, I’m also being a wuss most times

satan

« Reply #778 on: February 25, 2020, 09:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Same here, I can go to regs on curbs but on ledges can’t quite get them, I’m also being a wuss most times
For me it feels like the same motion as nollieing out of a noseslide on a ledge. Except your kinda bouncing off the bushings instead of really nollieing off the nose. I use my front foot (both feet really) to push my board back toe refs just like a noseslide. Front foot nollies and pushes, back foot grips and pulls the tail back. Over exaggerate this and you'll land manny.

Ollieing into it I go more or less parallel. If it's automatically going to fakie you're probably rotating your shoulders too far frontside. Turns your hips, turns your feet..
Try to square up and cock your shoulders and hips a lil bit more backside. Does that make sense?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2020, 10:10:37 PM »
Backside smith grinds. Finally got the balls to commit to popping into them yesterday, but I can't get the front foot pointed down. I'll have to re-read the stuff you guys posted a few pages back and get back into them today.

Edit: got them today after around 20+ tries. The motion still feels very unnatural - having to aim your front truck down while popping up. That feeling of the pinch is the fucking best. Thanks you fuckers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:20:48 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m