Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151964 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #780 on: February 27, 2020, 10:32:21 PM »
Bluntslides on ledges: I used to be able to do FS Bluntslides on rails, they were more like flopped-over-tailslides and I could only come out fakie.

Is there something more to Bluntslides other than just committing to them and blasting them with speed? I understand they are like nose/tailslides on the top of the ledges rather than the sides.

They seem easier to lock into going straight on rather than popping in mid ledge, especially nose blunts.

Thanks for the help everyone, its thanks to you guys I've added learned new this this year after having stagnated for so long!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #781 on: February 27, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »
Bluntslides on ledges: I used to be able to do FS Bluntslides on rails, they were more like flopped-over-tailslides and I could only come out fakie.

Is there something more to Bluntslides other than just committing to them and blasting them with speed? I understand they are like nose/tailslides on the top of the ledges rather than the sides.

They seem easier to lock into going straight on rather than popping in mid ledge, especially nose blunts.

Thanks for the help everyone, its thanks to you guys I've added learned new this this year after having stagnated for so long!

ya I got u. noseblunts are way easier from behind: practice some noseslides and front lips (just to get the feeling of ollieng over and turning), do a solid ollie, imagine your nose as the point of rotation, your nose should be already aimed over where you wanna lock in before you ollie (except not rotated yet), and swing your back foot 90 degrees around your nose (which should be 'fixed') to get your board into position. Put all your weight on your nose obviously, if it doesn't slide, put a bit more weight on your heel side to push it.

Front blunts definitely easier from the side, back blunts I can see how they might work a lil better from behind if you're just starting but you should practice from the side too. Rocket your ollie, lock in as vert as you can, place all the pressure on your back foot. To push it, front blunt: pressure on toe side, back blunt: pressure on heel side. Here's the key though: on a tailslide, you put all your weight on the tail but like straight on top of the tail. On a proper bluntslide, since the edge of your tail kind of goes on the side of the ledge (where your wheels would be for a tailslide), thats where you wanna put some of your back foot pressure too, kinda sideways into the side of the ledge and not just straight downwards from above like a tailslide. Though be careful because if you do that too much without locking in vertically proper and your entire tail is on top of the ledge you'll probably slip out perpendicular to the ledge.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:19:18 PM by tzhangdox »

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #782 on: February 28, 2020, 02:47:03 AM »
^ Your post was like a slow build-up for me that was really making me picture the way bluntslides are supposed to feel and excited to try working on them more, then your last sentence ruined absolutely everything.

Nah, your tips will probably be helpful for me too, I could always land into those tricks just fine but I've always been too terrified by the slide to fully commit on them on ledges (which gradually deteriorated into never even trying them anymore over time).

Silly but maybe a good way to understand how to lock into some of those tricks is by first doing them as stalls on curbs and - maybe even before that - on banks for noseblunts. Can't really help with the sliding part personally (although I'm sure it's just momentum and balance from that point on), but I learned how to (somewhat) lock into frontside noseblunt and nollie frontside noseblunt on curbs quite early on in skating. Some nollie noseblunt variations also seem more natural and lazier than their ollie counterpart, I'm especially thinking nollie frontside noseblunt on curbs (which I still can't really do well) and nollie backside noseblunts on banks/transitions as far as I'm concerned (also a fun way to learn nollie backside nosepicks or whatever they're called). Obviously, on ledges those all seem like a whole different level of threat though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:49:42 AM by silhouette »

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #783 on: February 28, 2020, 03:18:23 AM »
^ Your post was like a slow build-up for me that was really making me picture the way bluntslides are supposed to feel and excited to try working on them more, then your last sentence ruined absolutely everything.

This so much  ;D

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #784 on: February 28, 2020, 05:00:30 AM »
For nosebluntslide, play with front foot placement depending on the height of the thing you're doing it on, too. You've got to find the sweet spot that will get on top to lock in AND have your front foot locked down like a noseslide. It's been ages since I've done one (the year 2022 marks 30 years since my last backside nosebluntslide), but I spent so much time working on them to get them that I can still picture my front foot placement in relation to the bolts.

I also remember frontside nollie nosebluntslides being easier for me once I figured out the regular version because of the foot placement. This is part of the reason I built my curbs. I'm trying to get these suckers back.

edit: if you do frontside nosegrinds overcrook style, the noseblunt is not that far off.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:08:03 AM by layzieyez »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #785 on: February 28, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »

Nah, your tips will probably be helpful for me too, I could always land into those tricks just fine but I've always been too terrified by the slide to fully commit on them on ledges (which gradually deteriorated into never even trying them anymore over time).

Silly but maybe a good way to understand how to lock into some of those tricks is by first doing them as stalls on curbs and - maybe even before that - on banks for noseblunts. Can't really help with the sliding part personally (although I'm sure it's just momentum and balance from that point on), but I learned how to (somewhat) lock into frontside noseblunt and nollie frontside noseblunt on curbs quite early on in skating. Some nollie noseblunt variations also seem more natural and lazier than their ollie counterpart, I'm especially thinking nollie frontside noseblunt on curbs (which I still can't really do well) and nollie backside noseblunts on banks/transitions as far as I'm concerned (also a fun way to learn nollie backside nosepicks or whatever they're called). Obviously, on ledges those all seem like a whole different level of threat though.

lol, yeah going slow and practicing the stall on a curb, and then a dry ish ledge will be helpful too. Never tried blunting on banks/transition, seems super different to me.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #786 on: February 28, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
Alright.  Nollie flips.  I’ve got this mental block where my back foot has to go straight to the ground when I flip it.

The flip itself is fine, pop is fine. I can keep it under me, catch it with my front foot, but my back foot doesn’t know what to do after it flips, so it just instinctively goes to the ground.

I need some help ya’ll.  Tired of looking dumb every time I try these.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:49:31 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #787 on: February 29, 2020, 02:28:18 AM »
Alright.  Nollie flips.  I’ve got this mental block where my back foot has to go straight to the ground when I flip it.

The flip itself is fine, pop is fine. I can keep it under me, catch it with my front foot, but my back foot doesn’t know what to do after it flips, so it just instinctively goes to the ground.

Sounds like you're flicking down instead of out. You're supposed to remain over the board the whole time. Random idea that may or may not be silly but maybe try nollie one-foots just to get the basic feel of popping a nollie, taking your back foot off then bringing it back. Then eventually you'll probably just refine that ankle flick so that the board stays under you just like it probably does on normal kickflips.

People don't stress this enough but for flip tricks in general, the most important is never to get the flip right (anybody can easily 'form' any trick without actual control of the right technique to land on them), and always to remain over the board and be able to catch it with both feet regardless of what it does - bailing by landing with both feet on the board upside down because you missed your flick is a hundred times better than bailing with one foot on the ground after completing the full flip, yet with no control on the landing.

Also now I remember that learning switch flips really helped me for nollie flips and that's despite them feeling a lot less natural than nollie flips at first. Learning switch flips you can easily flip the switch of your logic off for a bit and pretend you're just trying to kickflip in your natural stance, the same rules as kickflips apply so if you can do those you know how to switch flip and just need to focus on what you're doing wrong like it's today's flaw on your normal kickflips. Just forget you're trying it switch and fix everything like you would in your natural sense until you fine-tune the technique and develop the dexterity. Then once you have switch flips down, nollie flips become a given.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #788 on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:29 AM »
Also for those struggling with 360 flips, yesterday at the park I taught two kids how to land their first ones, they had that typical problem of being hunched over the nose so the board would stay behind them. By breaking down the correct posture and alignment for them I realized a good indicator that I've always subconsciously used but never really defined that helped them get their landings instantly, basically before you pop you need to be sitting just as far back (and with a straight back) as so that the knee on your front leg is past your face. Looking straight down your face and vision should be focused on your thigh and nothing past your knee. If you're seeing anything past your knee then the board probably won't go in front of you because you're too hunched over. That fixes your position in a way so that your center of gravity is properly adjusted to the motions of the trick and you can basically just sit through the execution as the board stays under you while flipping (as long as you don't do anything funny with your shoulders and keep them square). I guess the same stands for impossibles as well although I've always just done the latter without overthinking its execution nearly as much.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:59:51 AM by silhouette »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #789 on: February 29, 2020, 03:52:44 PM »
^Im absolutely going to try that, as I’ve got that problem too.  Basically I’ve got every problem possible with every single trick, haha.  I’m honestly starting to wonder if I’ll ever go pro at this rate. 😑
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: February 29, 2020, 03:56:02 PM »
No you've got that easy too, people have even made tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D8JWVzjkBk

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #791 on: February 29, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #792 on: February 29, 2020, 05:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone have tips for fs tailslides? I can jump into them kinda okay but after a mean slip out to back smack on a curb I am afraid to really commit to them.
[close]
Idk. Sounds like it's just a headtrip or mindfuck for you?
When I feel like I'm sliding out on a front tail my natural instinct is to ollie to fakie. I feel like I flinched and did that once and my body just does it on it's own now. I've rarely done a front tail to fakie on purpose..

What out for crazy waxed ledges?
Don't jam your tail in too hard? Shifty and set it on the curb/ledge.
Don't push your board to far in front of you and do a stiff legged, lock-kneed slide. Don't want your back leg super stiff or straight.
Stand on top of it a lil with you're knees slightly bent so you can push it, or ease off or ollie out when it's too slidey.
[close]

Thanks mate. I will try it with a big board on a curb first.
No problem. Like I said, I really think it's all in your head. We've all been there...
Forgot to mention what I do to progress up to a real tailslide.. the 80's "tailslide"..
Ya know. Ollie 90 to fs tail stall, maybe slide 1-2", and then kickturn of.
I visualize "Streets on Fire" but I might be thinking of the wrong vid.
I should get on this myself.. I can bluntslide a parking block so my leg should be able to take the weight of a tailslide. Headtrips.. mindfucks..

Nollie flips.. switch flips..
Most common mistake I've seen is leaning over instead of squating down. Don't bend at the waist to look at your feet..
I was guilty of it but when I corrected it I could pop, flick, catch. Finally..
Don't mob them by pushing down with your toe like the big pant small wheel era. That's tough to unlearn..
I think switch flip, then nollie flip, is easier to learn.
Yep. Think of doing a kickflip opposite footed. Flick of the tail just like you'd flick of the nose. Push that thing down, steez it, catch it, stomp it..
Nollie flips I think I'd point my toe a lil more towards my tail. It's been years..
If they're going backside shifty that's great. Extra steez
Maybe try switch or nollie one-footers? That'll give you some muscle memory for holding your foot over your tail.

How about impossibles?
I could do the 3shuv thing but it's not an impossible to me.
When I try to wrap em it's just a whiffed half flip or my board goes flying, usually after bouncing of my knee.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:41:49 PM by satan »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #793 on: February 29, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
^Im absolutely going to try that, as I’ve got that problem too.  Basically I’ve got every problem possible with every single trick, haha.  I’m honestly starting to wonder if I’ll ever go pro at this rate. 😑

On a more serious note though, you're already good enough on a skateboard to do whatever you realistically envision yourself doing and then a lot more. Everyone is. I believe that a lot of what makes the difference in people's technical progression is self-confidence (not believing that you can actually do something blocks you from even really trying, which in turns comforts you into the delusion that you can't do it, etc., whereas perceiving a movement as something natural and simple helps you get there instinctively, similarly to learning a language when directly immersed into a foreign environment), and a basic understanding of some rudimentary physics as well as their own anatomy, essentially studying posture (from your favorite skaters' footage, etc.) without neglecting a single part of your body as well as the shape and reactions of the skateboard as a simple object to manipulate - understanding the pressure points, mentally breaking down your griptape side into a grid and whatnot. Once you've understood the basic physical principles, the only limitation is yourself, comprising the ones of your own body. At that stage if you still struggle with a certain trick due to seemingly being unable to do a specific motion, then at least by you're basically aware of exactly what it is you're doing wrong (and essentially too lazy or comfortable anyway to train hard enough to fix it). The reality is skateboarding is only as difficult for a person as they believe it is, and make it out to be.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:35:54 PM by silhouette »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #794 on: February 29, 2020, 08:59:12 PM »
Also for those struggling with 360 flips, yesterday at the park I taught two kids how to land their first ones, they had that typical problem of being hunched over the nose so the board would stay behind them. By breaking down the correct posture and alignment for them I realized a good indicator that I've always subconsciously used but never really defined that helped them get their landings instantly, basically before you pop you need to be sitting just as far back (and with a straight back) as so that the knee on your front leg is past your face. Looking straight down your face and vision should be focused on your thigh and nothing past your knee. If you're seeing anything past your knee then the board probably won't go in front of you because you're too hunched over. That fixes your position in a way so that your center of gravity is properly adjusted to the motions of the trick and you can basically just sit through the execution as the board stays under you while flipping (as long as you don't do anything funny with your shoulders and keep them square). I guess the same stands for impossibles as well although I've always just done the latter without overthinking its execution nearly as much.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! Is there anyway you can do a diagram of the knee / thigh positioning?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: March 01, 2020, 04:49:05 AM »
^ I've tried and failed at making one that would be explicit enough in regards of what I'm trying to say due to just waking up and being non-caffeinated yet, but I'll try again later or maybe film a quick one for you especially demonstrating the posture/technique once the weather dries up, it's supposed to keep raining for two weeks here though. But really if you just look at most 360 flip sequences, especially the ones seen from the profile with that idea in mind it should be pretty obvious the difference one's posture makes. The further back you stand all the while keeping a straight back (the sweet spot seeming to be around what I described), the easier it is to throw the trick in front of you and keep it under your feet essentially (of course with control on the pop / scoop so that you don't send the board flying either). Also before I pop I usually find myself staring in the axis of the toe-side of my nose and imagine that I have to pop in a way that sends the tail diagonally through the current axis of the four front bolts, before locking my shoulders and hips square in that position and only then I pop.

How about impossibles?
When I try to wrap em it's just a whiffed half flip or my board goes flying, usually after bouncing of my knee.

Slam that tail straight down, not off the side like you would for shove-it based tricks. You're supposed to build up tension around the front of the board like you would for a no-comply trick then you take your front foot off to suddenly release it except you don't slide it off and down, you do it by jumping and lifting your front leg straight up (the calf is what's at work, front foot stays dead, no flick etc.). Now as you've popped you keep your back leg and foot extended for a split second and try to scrape your tail forwards and through where your front wheels originally were. Weight should be over your (extended) back leg the whole time during that trick, you could basically choose to land and ride away on just one foot if you wanted to. You're then supposed to complete the rotation by sucking your back leg up to guide the board around as soon as you feel it start to wrap around the top of your foot, if you're feeling it off the side of your foot you're doing it wrong and still thinking too much in terms of a horizontal translation, when you want that board to spring straight up.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:26:38 AM by silhouette »

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #796 on: March 01, 2020, 07:07:29 AM »
backside bigspin. i never keep rolling afterwards... just awkwardly lean to one side and fall off most of the time. they don't even look that good anyway i'm not even mad.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2020, 07:36:49 AM »
^ I've tried and failed at making one that would be explicit enough in regards of what I'm trying to say due to just waking up and being non-caffeinated yet, but I'll try again later or maybe film a quick one for you especially demonstrating the posture/technique once the weather dries up, it's supposed to keep raining for two weeks here though. But really if you just look at most 360 flip sequences, especially the ones seen from the profile with that idea in mind it should be pretty obvious the difference one's posture makes. The further back you stand all the while keeping a straight back (the sweet spot seeming to be around what I described), the easier it is to throw the trick in front of you and keep it under your feet essentially (of course with control on the pop / scoop so that you don't send the board flying either). Also before I pop I usually find myself staring in the axis of the toe-side of my nose and imagine that I have to pop in a way that sends the tail diagonally through the current axis of the four front bolts, before locking my shoulders and hips square in that position and only then I pop.

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man, sorry if I sounded rude in my post. Was nursing a hangover. There was only 1 day in my entire life I had them down, some old pro told me to keep my shoulder parallel with my board and make sure I was rolling straight. The ground was tiled, so that helped with checking I was rolling straight. I can do them fakie occasionally but the situation has to be right - smooth ground, fresh board.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

On a more serious note though, you're already good enough on a skateboard to do whatever you realistically envision yourself doing and then a lot more. Everyone is. I believe that a lot of what makes the difference in people's technical progression is self-confidence (not believing that you can actually do something blocks you from even really trying, which in turns comforts you into the delusion that you can't do it, etc., whereas perceiving a movement as something natural and simple helps you get there instinctively, similarly to learning a language when directly immersed into a foreign environment), and a basic understanding of some rudimentary physics as well as their own anatomy, essentially studying posture (from your favorite skaters' footage, etc.) without neglecting a single part of your body as well as the shape and reactions of the skateboard as a simple object to manipulate - understanding the pressure points, mentally breaking down your griptape side into a grid and whatnot. Once you've understood the basic physical principles, the only limitation is yourself, comprising the ones of your own body. At that stage if you still struggle with a certain trick due to seemingly being unable to do a specific motion, then at least by you're basically aware of exactly what it is you're doing wrong (and essentially too lazy or comfortable anyway to train hard enough to fix it). The reality is skateboarding is only as difficult for a person as they believe it is, and make it out to be.
[close]

Truth, the mental element of trying a trick is probably the biggest hurdle to learning new tricks. Conceptually you know how the trick works, you got to get over the mental barrier of just trying the trick so you can figure out the nuance of it. That's why it's important to skate with people who can push you and new people occasionally, seeing someone of your level try a new trick lets you see "hey I could do that shit!" and you start banging away at it.

That aside, help with FS Crooks? Landed my first one last week, think I was a fluke and didn't land any in today's session. For BS Crooks I tend to put my front foot pretty far back, a good bit behind the front bolts. I feel like that position help me get a high enough and a good pinch. Is it the same with the FS version? The few times I tried putting my front foot further forward over the bolts I landed up in noseslide.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #798 on: March 01, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone have tips for fs tailslides? I can jump into them kinda okay but after a mean slip out to back smack on a curb I am afraid to really commit to them.
[close]
Idk. Sounds like it's just a headtrip or mindfuck for you?
When I feel like I'm sliding out on a front tail my natural instinct is to ollie to fakie. I feel like I flinched and did that once and my body just does it on it's own now. I've rarely done a front tail to fakie on purpose..

What out for crazy waxed ledges?
Don't jam your tail in too hard? Shifty and set it on the curb/ledge.
Don't push your board to far in front of you and do a stiff legged, lock-kneed slide. Don't want your back leg super stiff or straight.
Stand on top of it a lil with you're knees slightly bent so you can push it, or ease off or ollie out when it's too slidey.
[close]

Thanks mate. I will try it with a big board on a curb first.
[close]
No problem. Like I said, I really think it's all in your head. We've all been there...
Forgot to mention what I do to progress up to a real tailslide.. the 80's "tailslide"..
Ya know. Ollie 90 to fs tail stall, maybe slide 1-2", and then kickturn of.

I visualize "Streets on Fire" but I might be thinking of the wrong vid.
I should get on this myself.. I can bluntslide a parking block so my leg should be able to take the weight of a tailslide. Headtrips.. mindfucks..

Nollie flips.. switch flips..
Most common mistake I've seen is leaning over instead of squating down. Don't bend at the waist to look at your feet..
I was guilty of it but when I corrected it I could pop, flick, catch. Finally..
Don't mob them by pushing down with your toe like the big pant small wheel era. That's tough to unlearn..
I think switch flip, then nollie flip, is easier to learn.
Yep. Think of doing a kickflip opposite footed. Flick of the tail just like you'd flick of the nose. Push that thing down, steez it, catch it, stomp it..
Nollie flips I think I'd point my toe a lil more towards my tail. It's been years..
If they're going backside shifty that's great. Extra steez
Maybe try switch or nollie one-footers? That'll give you some muscle memory for holding your foot over your tail.

How about impossibles?

That is exactly what I've been done today. ^^
I think I seen those in an old powell video. Possibly ban this.
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2020, 07:30:43 AM »
Need help getting locked into FS Crooks, I fluked into 1 last week with the perfect pinch. Haven't been able to come close to another one since.

1) Like a BS Crook should I be riding really parallel to the ledge?
2) How do I avoid sticking and keep the pinch going on the grind?
3) Should I be popping slightly higher than the ledge and locking my truck on the top of the ledge instead of aiming to lock onto the side?

I can't keep the lock, ending up in 50-50, or in FS nose.

Thanks everyone.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -39
« Reply #800 on: March 02, 2020, 07:34:47 AM »
All I can contribute is beware of the overshoot. I've given my back a good raking over the years with this one.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #801 on: March 03, 2020, 04:50:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZc4hwXFN9o

I refused to give Braille any clicks, this guy does a great breakdown of 360 flips. He doesn't cover the back and head position as much but I found his emphasis on the back foot position: way off to the back of the tail helpful. One of the better trick tip guys I feel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

alt dumb shit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #802 on: March 04, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
Need help getting locked into FS Crooks, I fluked into 1 last week with the perfect pinch. Haven't been able to come close to another one since.

3) Should I be popping slightly higher than the ledge and locking my truck on the top of the ledge instead of aiming to lock onto the side?

Thanks everyone.

https://youtu.be/xbWgIHcEaa0?t=3693

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #803 on: March 04, 2020, 10:51:59 PM »
Switch backtail. Never get any better at them

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: March 05, 2020, 07:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks everyone.
[close]

https://youtu.be/xbWgIHcEaa0?t=3693

Practicing the stall on a ledge definitely helped. A regular at the park noticed I was riding pretty far away from the ledge and going in at a sharp angle. He told me to ride really parallel to the ledge almost like a 50-50, pop high enough to land just on top of the ledge and use the the back foot to help with the tweak. I find a lot of the trick is going in with speed and commitment to pressure your truck down hard on the ledge to keep the lock. Having wobbly loose trucks also helped with the pinch.

Stoked to learn the secret to them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Matt

• Rep: 28
« Reply #805 on: March 07, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
The only time fs crooks have worked for me is going fast and fully committing, they don't seem to work like other grinds where you can "see" if you get into one and then go with it, you gotta fully get that weight on the ball of your front foot
live love laugh

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #806 on: March 08, 2020, 06:10:15 PM »
The only time fs crooks have worked for me is going fast and fully committing, they don't seem to work like other grinds where you can "see" if you get into one and then go with it, you gotta fully get that weight on the ball of your front foot

Ride up really parallel, pop up high enough, pressure down on the nose and use the back foot to tweak out the grind. 80% of body weight on the front foot, 20% on the back foot to keep the angle of the grind locked in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #807 on: March 19, 2020, 01:10:17 AM »
I just cant seem to land bs. nor fs crooks. Board just heelflips out.
I can bs and fs nosegrind, so it doesnt make any sens to me...

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #808 on: March 19, 2020, 05:07:05 AM »
I just cant seem to land bs. nor fs crooks. Board just heelflips out.
I can bs and fs nosegrind, so it doesnt make any sens to me...
For me I can’t get out regs on bs but front side I can.
If someone can give me the tip to just pop out on bs crooks I would be pumped

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: March 19, 2020, 06:30:21 AM »
If you can pop out of backside nosegrind you should be able to pop out of backside k grind. If the board flips then you're probably not sitting atop of that front truck correctly, your whole weight should be distributed over the top of the ledge during the grind and not even slightly off to its side. Then at the end you just kind of nudge it forward like a pop out of nosewheelie/nosegrind. The pinch shouldn't be in control of the board and the back foot should play the role of keeping it flat.