Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 152001 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #810 on: March 20, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »
If you can pop out of backside nosegrind you should be able to pop out of backside k grind. If the board flips then you're probably not sitting atop of that front truck correctly, your whole weight should be distributed over the top of the ledge during the grind and not even slightly off to its side. Then at the end you just kind of nudge it forward like a pop out of nosewheelie/nosegrind. The pinch shouldn't be in control of the board and the back foot should play the role of keeping it flat.
Wish I would have seen this before my session today. I’m going to screenshot this and work on it next time. I think I might be putting a bit too much weight on my front foot when I do it

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #811 on: March 20, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
Or maybe you have the parasite reflex to try and kick the board off the ledge as you try and pop out (hypothetical but many people do), having your weight distributed over the front foot shouldn't a problem at all (in fact that's how the trick works, some people even do one-footed crooked grinds like this) as long as you're positioned over the edge of the ledge and not off the side like you would be for a weird nose slide. You must be sitting on top (think heel-side front wheel for b/s k) and then the nollie pop out is a kind of chinese nollie motion, you just thrust forward in a way that's not too dissimilar to how you do it on a wallride nollie out, or a little backside nollie on transition (for backside k), I don't know how to really explain it. Once you've mastered just that little tech you can crook bonk pretty much everything you can get your front truck over. Front foot jams the truck down during the grind, guides the board forward and out on the dismount, and back foot just lays there and keeps it in control even at that stage.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:22:02 PM by silhouette »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #812 on: March 20, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »
Or maybe you have the parasite reflex to try and kick the board off the ledge as you try and pop out (hypothetical but many people do), having your weight distributed over the front foot shouldn't a problem at all (in fact that's how the trick works, some people even do one-footed crooked grinds like this) as long as you're positioned over the edge of the ledge and not off the side like you would be for a weird nose slide. You must be sitting on top (think heel-side front wheel for b/s k) and then the nollie pop out is a kind of chinese nollie motion, you just thrust forward in a way that's not too dissimilar to how you do it on a wallride nollie out, or a little backside nollie on transition (for backside k), I don't know how to really explain it. Once you've mastered just that little tech you can crook bonk pretty much everything you can get your front truck over. Front foot jams the truck down during the grind, guides the board forward and out on the dismount, and back foot just lays there and keeps it in control even at that stage.
I can sit on them pretty well but my brain just kinda freezes up not taking it to fakie. That Chinese nollie tip is actually kinda making sense when I think about it. I’ll give it a shot next time

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #813 on: March 20, 2020, 11:37:30 PM »
I would add that going with enough speed helps to mitigate having a shit exit, the momentum just carries you off the edge of the ledge and the popping motion become an after thought. It really is one of those tricks that gets easier the faster you go.

One thing I've found helpful is not to think of crooked grinds as a noseslide, you have to get some pop and height (but not too high) above the ledge before sticking your truck down. Doing so ensures you're riding on top of your truck and not doing a shitty noseslide. I found this to be helpful especially when doing FS crooked grinds: if I don't remind myself to pop into the ledge I end up doing a FS noseslide or just stick with zero grind.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #814 on: March 21, 2020, 12:07:51 AM »
My 2¢ for getting out of bs crooks: Treat the dismount like a nosebonk. When you push your front foot forward to get out just take a little bit of weight off it for a split sec and pull it back a bit and if you land with your weight centered you'll be fine. Like everyone else said, speed helps a lot with the added bonus of feeling really cool when you land because you're a good fucking skaterboarder. Godspeed.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: March 21, 2020, 12:21:29 AM »
I can sit on them pretty well but my brain just kinda freezes up not taking it to fakie. That Chinese nollie tip is actually kinda making sense when I think about it. I’ll give it a shot next time

If you can sit on them pretty well then you're pretty much golden, it's the part of the trick that's the hardest to figure out in my opinion (because a lot of people won't dare locking into then sitting on the trick straight away, and the lack of commitment will result in those weird noseslide things with the truck sometimes off, sometimes on that I was bringing up). If you can sit on them it means you've figured out (or are figuring out) the right axis for your shoulders and lower body during the grind already, the typical beginner's mistake is to approach the trick too diagonally and then keeping turning with it like it's a ledge-assisted frontside 180.

About not reverting to fakie now that makes sense, I never had that problem regs but I had it on switch k for years, I was so used to sw noseslide to regs I could never not pivot out of switch k until one day I said fuck it, did a bunch of sw noseslides back to switch on a box to figure out the timing and then sw dismount out of sw k insta clicked. Basically all you need to change is the position of those shoulders during the grind and their action on the dismount, keep them semi squared and facing in the direction of the roll away, your front arm should always remain your leading arm and then you just give the front truck that nudge. Anyway, you sound like you'll get them real quick at the stage you're at.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:24:31 AM by silhouette »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #816 on: March 23, 2020, 05:49:44 AM »
Proper railed fs smiths on a mini.

I end up dipping the board, but not resting a rail on the coping. I think it has some to do with the fact that I turn my upper body too much into them, I think I need to chill and keep my shoulders parallel to the coping more, but 25-year old habits are hard to break.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #817 on: March 23, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
Anyone got tips for nollie crooks? It’s my favorite/least favorite trick. I can do them really well some days and others I struggle to pop and get the board up. I feel pretty good at them but for whatever reason can’t get them as consistent as I’d like. Especially on taller ledges (higher than 14in or so)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #818 on: March 24, 2020, 02:09:20 PM »
Everything involving a nollie is not a basic ass trick ^^
Just kidding, I love this thread. Anyone has tips for crooks/nollie crooks?
IG: @flowterspace

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #819 on: April 19, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »
Was this the thread with impossibles?
I'm getting mine to wrap pretty well, the tension thing really helped, but sometimes I'm coming up 5-10 degrees short. With my goofy foot placement it's tough to carve/pivot out so I end up doing lotsa duck walks or unintentional nosedrive late-180 thingies.
I think part of the problem is when I setup I'm turning my shoulders frontside to look down at my feet. Instead of being parallel to my board my shoulders are cocked 60* frontside and my body/torso is twisted.
If I line my body up better it feels like my board is gonna blast me in the back knee..
I think I've got my foot placement correct (it's pretty pressure flippy) but the tweaked shoulders thing is a mindfuck for me.
Any suggestions?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #820 on: April 19, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
On regular ollie impossibles my upper body just faces the direction I'm going the whole time (maybe at a slight angle, but that's how it feels like when I do them). The trick has literally no influence on my shoulders at all and it's really not supposed to have any on yours, it really doesn't work like a 360 flip for instance where more factors are at play, and your upper body plays some kind of role in the control. On impossibles if you basically just stand straight (don't lean over the nose), just look past your nose and try to imagine scraping your tail through that zone it shouldn't really matter what you do with your shoulders, just keep them in place.

On switch ones I do have a more typical switch 360 flip kind of shoulder placement but I think that's because I learned nollie (front foot) impossibles first so I was always used to that kind of positioning and momentum. As long as you only let your lower body do the work and don't twitch out of the way, you should be fine.

Basically you just need to forget everything you know about shove-it based tricks and flip tricks for proper impossibles as they rely on a completely different technique and shape, I would say the trick functions more like a catapult (best analogy I could improvise here). The technique is similar to pressure flips indeed but in reality that doesn't necessarily have to translate over to your foot positioning and perception of the trick because you don't actually want the board to start flipping like a pressure flip, you just want to invert it upside down over your back foot and then lift that back foot up. There's some big toe action, but it doesn't have to be some funky mathematics over specific pressure points on the board, my popping foot goes across and covers my whole tail (or nose) regardless of my style in each stance. The maneuver itself is actually very rudimentary and involves less of your body than you think, in a way it's a really lazy trick (on flat and banks at least). In general the people who struggle with it are really fighting against their own understanding (or lack thereof) of the trick because it's different from the 'modern' flip tricks most are used to, but the less they overthink it the better.

As much as shoulder positioning shouldn't affect the trick too much, you do have to keep them in place though (to avoid parasite movement). But besides that you don't really need to think about them at all and should just sit over that back leg then release the pressure all the while keeping in your line.

Once you've got them down, you can actually use how minimal the shoulder movement needs to be on the basic variation to your advantage for impossible reverts or body varials both ways (the frontside body varial ones are super gross, but impossible reverts can look sick). Easier than it sounds and getting impossible reverts from miscalculating your weight distribution or upper body reflexes on impossibles is actually very natural. Better looking and feeling than shitty 360 flip reverts for sure because then the revert just flows out of the first trick instead of breaking it (if that makes sense).

If none of this works, make sure to try a few fakie ones. You'll surprise yourself with how natural the motion is with the fakie momentum.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:36:02 PM by silhouette »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #821 on: April 20, 2020, 12:17:59 AM »
How do you do backside slappies properly? When I do them its usually either a backside 5-0 slappy and then I put my front truck down or I do something like a slappy crook and put my back truck down.... on really low curbs I can do proper ones but I don't really think about it it just happens, but doesn't translate to normal curbs.

My slappy game is pretty weak, never got into it until very recently where I've been trying to figure it out. I can front 5050, crook, and do questionable back 5050s, back 5-0s, back blunts, and fs nosegrind if I'm very lucky...

Any tips on switch slappy crooks (both ways) are also appreciated, I find it very awkward to de-weight myself going switch/fakie, and if I'm able to get my truck on its barely for a split second and I jump off like its almost bouncing me off. I can sit on switch crooks on ledges alright so its just a matter of getting into it and holding it a little bit and then I'll be chilling.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:32:39 AM by tzhangdox »

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #822 on: April 20, 2020, 03:21:58 AM »
do inward heels count as a basic ass trick? Even when i do a good one i feel unsatisfied

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: April 20, 2020, 03:58:29 AM »
How do you do backside slappies properly? When I do them its usually either a backside 5-0 slappy and then I put my front truck down or I do something like a slappy crook and put my back truck down.... on really low curbs I can do proper ones but I don't really think about it it just happens, but doesn't translate to normal curbs.

My slappy game is pretty weak, never got into it until very recently where I've been trying to figure it out. I can front 5050, crook, and do questionable back 5050s, back 5-0s, back blunts, and fs nosegrind if I'm very lucky...

Any tips on switch slappy crooks (both ways) are also appreciated, I find it very awkward to de-weight myself going switch/fakie, and if I'm able to get my truck on its barely for a split second and I jump off like its almost bouncing me off. I can sit on switch crooks on ledges alright so its just a matter of getting into it and holding it a little bit and then I'll be chilling.

There is a slappy thread already, but to review

Everyone says you slam the board into the curb while carving, but this is half false.  You have to lighten the board to allow it to bump on top of the curb, both fs and bs.

So you come if between 60-45 degrees to the curb, carving in. As you hit the front truck, lighten your front foot and then the back foot as the rear trucks get on. If you don’t carve hard enough with your hips and shoulders, the back trucks won’t get on.

Your shoulders should be kinda parallel to the curb as well, not ‘open’, facing down the curb.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #824 on: April 20, 2020, 04:53:53 AM »
reading you guys explain these stupid tricks in such detail makes me so goddamn wet not gonna lie

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #825 on: April 20, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There is a slappy thread already, but to review

Everyone says you slam the board into the curb while carving, but this is half false.  You have to lighten the board to allow it to bump on top of the curb, both fs and bs.

So you come if between 60-45 degrees to the curb, carving in. As you hit the front truck, lighten your front foot and then the back foot as the rear trucks get on. If you don’t carve hard enough with your hips and shoulders, the back trucks won’t get on.

Your shoulders should be kinda parallel to the curb as well, not ‘open’, facing down the curb.

Thanks, I might not be putting the weight on my toes and then lightening and carving enough

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #826 on: April 21, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »
Tre flips

Flying Rodent

« Reply #827 on: April 23, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
Backside heelflips.

Can’t even get close to flipping it right. Switch is no problem.

Saint Coke

« Reply #828 on: April 23, 2020, 09:24:05 PM »
Shuvs atm

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #829 on: April 25, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
frontside bigspin.

The board always flips. regs and switch.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #830 on: April 27, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
Nollie backside bigspins

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #831 on: April 28, 2020, 06:17:46 AM »
Nollie backside bigspins

I am still working on this one to be on lock but what helped me a lot is getting a very clean nollie back and an okay nollie 360 front shov.

Also
Wallride please

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #832 on: April 28, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
Goddamn front tails.. It takes me so many tries to get one to slide, meanwhile i can back tail pretty consistently an even kickflip back tail if I put in enough attempts. Idk why i can just rarely get them to slide well

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: April 28, 2020, 08:41:01 AM »
I for some reason can’t comprehend the pole jam. I know I’m thinking about it too much but it would be a cool one to have in the bag

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #834 on: April 28, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »
Any tips on nollie bs tricks like noseslides and 5050? I can do all the basic tricks frontside but backside feels just so unnatural. Only nollie/switch backside trick i can do is switch crooks to regs and lets be honest, thats not really a trick.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: April 29, 2020, 05:20:43 AM »
Any tips on nollie bs tricks like noseslides and 5050? I can do all the basic tricks frontside but backside feels just so unnatural. Only nollie/switch backside trick i can do is switch crooks to regs and lets be honest, thats not really a trick.

Can't really help you on the nollie backside shit because I'm the same, like I can float over the ledge on nollie nose slides easily but then I have a hard time committing to locking in because I feel like the ledge is just going to catch my ankle or something whereas I don't get that with nollie front nose. It's a lot less scary on low shit like curbs though so maybe you could start there then work it up. But sw k is actually a really cool trick and it's easy to learn it back to fakie once you can do the basic ones back to reg, just do a few sw noseslides to figure it out and then nollie 180 sw k becomes stupid accessible, that's another good one and somehow looks cool when in reality it's really just an extended nollie tail (super convenient one for older dudes trying to fake skills).

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #836 on: April 29, 2020, 06:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can't really help you on the nollie backside shit because I'm the same, like I can float over the ledge on nollie nose slides easily but then I have a hard time committing to locking in because I feel like the ledge is just going to catch my ankle or something whereas I don't get that with nollie front nose. It's a lot less scary on low shit like curbs though so maybe you could start there then work it up. But sw k is actually a really cool trick and it's easy to learn it back to fakie once you can do the basic ones back to reg, just do a few sw noseslides to figure it out and then nollie 180 sw k becomes stupid accessible, that's another good one and somehow looks cool when in reality it's really just an extended nollie tail (super convenient one for older dudes trying to fake skills).
Maybe i have to accept that i can only do backside on reg and frontside on switch. Would be so cool just to have switch bs 5050 on lock.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #837 on: April 29, 2020, 07:32:03 AM »
Switch Flip is the one trick I want on lock so bad but struggle with. I've done them before but don't have the discipline to practice them over and over because they feel so unnatural  and difficult to flick

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #838 on: April 29, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
Switch Flip is the one trick I want on lock so bad but struggle with. I've done them before but don't have the discipline to practice them over and over because they feel so unnatural  and difficult to flick
How is your nollie flip?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #839 on: April 29, 2020, 08:06:47 AM »
Switch flip is one of my favorite tricks and they also took me forever to click but I'm so happy they did. The best advice that helped me is also the most obvious, just pretend you're doing a regular kickflip and don't even think of the difference in foot placement. Just legit trick your brain into thinking that's your normal stance and that you should be able to do a kickflip because you know how those work. This way you'll start looking at your switch flip attempts as regular kickflips that you keep fucking up and fix your motion with a clearer idea of what it is you're doing wrong. You won't just realize that you need to work on your flick a certain way but you'll also identify exactly what's wrong a lot more clearly. Maybe you'll better visualize that your stance is different from how it really should be. Should be common sense, but in reality most people overthink switch flips when it's the exact same thing as they're already familiar with in the opposite stance.