Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 152041 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #840 on: April 29, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
Switch flip is one of my favorite tricks and they also took me forever to click but I'm so happy they did. The best advice that helped me is also the most obvious, just pretend you're doing a regular kickflip and don't even think of the difference in foot placement. Just legit trick your brain into thinking that's your normal stance and that you should be able to do a kickflip because you know how those work. This way you'll start looking at your switch flip attempts as regular kickflips that you keep fucking up and fix your motion with a clearer idea of what it is you're doing wrong. You won't just realize that you need to work on your flick a certain way but you'll also identify exactly what's wrong a lot more clearly. Maybe you'll better visualize that your stance is different from how it really should be. Should be common sense, but in reality most people overthink switch flips when it's the exact same thing as they're already familiar with in the opposite stance.

I do this a lot like get in my head about a trick being switch or nollie and make it out like it’s harder than it is. Switch flip/nollie flip is my favorite flip trick and really the only ones I have consistent.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #841 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Switch flip is one of my favorite tricks and they also took me forever to click but I'm so happy they did. The best advice that helped me is also the most obvious, just pretend you're doing a regular kickflip and don't even think of the difference in foot placement. Just legit trick your brain into thinking that's your normal stance and that you should be able to do a kickflip because you know how those work. This way you'll start looking at your switch flip attempts as regular kickflips that you keep fucking up and fix your motion with a clearer idea of what it is you're doing wrong. You won't just realize that you need to work on your flick a certain way but you'll also identify exactly what's wrong a lot more clearly. Maybe you'll better visualize that your stance is different from how it really should be. Should be common sense, but in reality most people overthink switch flips when it's the exact same thing as they're already familiar with in the opposite stance.

Do you attempt to mirror your regular stance then or is your switch stance different? Trying to envision a normal kickflip makes a lot of sense I haven't really tried that because I imagined it being very different

and to answer lazieyez i've come semi close but haven't landed a nollie flip before

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #842 on: April 29, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
Do you attempt to mirror your regular stance then or is your switch stance different? Trying to envision a normal kickflip makes a lot of sense I haven't really tried that because I imagined it being very different

I wouldn't even consciously think in those terms, I would just take the position and decide I'd want to kickflip, and from then on it was easy to pick up because I was familiar with kickflips enough that I already knew all the stages. I had decent kickflips long before I started getting switch ones so trying to mimick the exact same thing was out of question, I wasn't looking for amplitude yet, I was just trying to successfully flip and catch the board after deciding that the foot positioning wasn't going to get in the way of me flipping and catching the board like I 'already knew' how to do.

It's been years now and eventually, thinking about it I'm realizing that my switch flips don't feel like my normal kickflips at all, they feel a lot more comfortable actually like it's easier to just sit over them and watch them happen, where as normal kickflips I'm always tempted to overdo the amplitude (so I miss more of them).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:53:10 AM by silhouette »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #843 on: April 29, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't even consciously think in those terms, I would just take the position and decide I'd want to kickflip, and from then on it was easy to pick up because I was familiar with kickflips enough that I already knew all the stages. I had decent kickflips long before I started getting switch ones so trying to mimick the exact same thing was out of question, I wasn't looking for amplitude yet, I was just trying to successfully flip and catch the board after deciding that the foot positioning wasn't going to get in the way of me flipping and catching the board like I 'already knew' how to do.

It's been years now and eventually, thinking about it I'm realizing that my switch flips don't feel like my normal kickflips at all, they feel a lot more comfortable actually like it's easier to just sit over them and watch them happen, where as normal kickflips I'm always tempted to overdo the amplitude (so I miss more of them).
I appreciate the feedback a ton, I'm going to grind some out tonight and work on them with the mindset you mentioned. I was imagining trying to replicate my regular stance. Hopefully I can report back with a better handle on them

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #844 on: April 29, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
Any tips for spreading your feet out and getting the back foot back on for tre flips? Getting the scoop and board rotation every time but my feet are either too close together when I land or the back foot comes off and forward a little bit. Trying to keep my shoulders square to prevent the back foot from coming forward.

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 13
« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »
I can’t nollie crook. It’s a bummer because I think that’s one of the more stylish line tricks. I can nollie fs nosegrind. But nollie bs up something makes no sense. Please no tips me just venting and being sad.

w425

• Rep: -1
« Reply #846 on: April 29, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote
fakie heelflip.
[close]

Oh fucking god just stop!

The absolute ultimate assknife trick in existence! I used to have these on lock until "the incident".  I was just the right height at the time where I got stabbed a solid inch deep in the taint, and no doubt I was left bloody and violated.

Nowadays when I try them I just automatically turn backside (no pun intended).

What's funny is I learned heelflips before kickflips... But I learned fakie heels before regular heels... The board just floats to my feet man, I'm sorry you have such a rough time :(

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #847 on: April 29, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »
Since this quarantine has me mostly stuck to flatground I've been purposely doing a lot of switch ollies and nollies in hopes that maybe switch/nollie flips will just click but that has not been the case. Almost think I'd have a better chance doing a switch fs flip than a switch flip.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #848 on: April 29, 2020, 11:39:25 PM »
Gave up on flip tricks and basic b/s tricks. This quarantine has seen me skating my backyard like when I started and trying to actually learn new tricks (flip and b/s basics) and get more pop back. Barely getting shuvits back, I had them randomly and then they disappeared and never came back.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

chlast.and.chlebicky

• Rep: 0
« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2020, 06:28:16 AM »
Basic heel flips - some days I’m all over it but some I can’t land a single flip. Any suggestions for front foot positioning?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #850 on: April 30, 2020, 09:03:24 AM »
Since this quarantine has me mostly stuck to flatground I've been purposely doing a lot of switch ollies and nollies in hopes that maybe switch/nollie flips will just click but that has not been the case. Almost think I'd have a better chance doing a switch fs flip than a switch flip.

Switch frontside flip is low-key easier than switch flip. It's the exact same thing except with open shoulders as opposed to parallel, if you're short on pop the revert just happens and you roll away regs which most people find natural. Pretty sure switch frontside flips actually helped me a shit ton with consistency on switch flips now that I think about it.

Doing more nollies and switch ollies in general is good practice for stability over the trick but won't help if your flick is the problem.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:04:59 AM by silhouette »

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #851 on: May 02, 2020, 03:50:23 AM »
Basic heel flips - some days I’m all over it but some I can’t land a single flip. Any suggestions for front foot positioning?

dont hang your toes off so much. stand basicially like an ollie and throw your foot off.
I struggled with these for years but i was trying to do a HEEL flip when in actuallity its a 'side of of your shoe' flip

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #852 on: May 02, 2020, 04:16:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dont hang your toes off so much. stand basicially like an ollie and throw your foot off.
I struggled with these for years but i was trying to do a HEEL flip when in actuallity its a 'side of of your shoe' flip

This.

Also, a lot of people have the tendency to lean over the board too much. Stay centered, and kick out. Sometimes I don't have my toes hanging off at all.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #853 on: May 02, 2020, 05:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This.

Also, a lot of people have the tendency to lean over the board too much. Stay centered, and kick out. Sometimes I don't have my toes hanging off at all.

yep, took me a while to notice the lean over thing was one of my problem

adriankohatsu

« Reply #854 on: May 03, 2020, 07:55:21 AM »
Regular Hardflips seems that the fakie ones are easier thought. And also bs feeble and fs smiths never quite learned

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #855 on: May 03, 2020, 08:30:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Switch frontside flip is low-key easier than switch flip. It's the exact same thing except with open shoulders as opposed to parallel, if you're short on pop the revert just happens and you roll away regs which most people find natural. Pretty sure switch frontside flips actually helped me a shit ton with consistency on switch flips now that I think about it.

Doing more nollies and switch ollies in general is good practice for stability over the trick but won't help if your flick is the problem.

The flick is definitely my problem but at this point I'm just throwin' stuff at the wall until something sticks, haha. I'm pretty rubbish at switch but the few tricks that I do have I can pop them at least moderately well.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #856 on: May 03, 2020, 07:20:41 PM »
I’ve noticed that my heelflip tricks tend to improve the bigger the board’s nose.  Just helps to have a big ass target, so it’s a little more forgiving if your aim is a little off.  That’s my theory anyways.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #857 on: May 04, 2020, 12:20:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The flick is definitely my problem but at this point I'm just throwin' stuff at the wall until something sticks, haha. I'm pretty rubbish at switch but the few tricks that I do have I can pop them at least moderately well.

try pushing your nose out in front of you as you pop, it makes the flicking foots job much easier & stops your board lagging behind you in the air. its easier to figure this motion out if your skating somewhere with slabs, when you pop, aim your nose to the next crack ahead of the one your passing as you pop. then all your back foot has to do is flick out.
this wont help much for getting them to pop high but its a good starting point to figure out the mechancs of the trick

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #858 on: May 04, 2020, 08:49:26 AM »
Nose manuals are my enemy too, well I can't ollie into them anyway.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #859 on: May 05, 2020, 05:02:39 PM »
Impossibles. I want to learn them so bad but cannot get my brain around them.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #860 on: May 05, 2020, 05:25:53 PM »

I used to have em. Now they are pretty gross if I get one.
I learned them when I was tiny, doing the front foot off the nose of the board. That helps fling the board into a more vertical wrap, but it looks  and feels disgusting due to super wide snowboarder stance.
When I was shown there was much more emphasis on the front foot being loaded up with weight, and then being ....pressed down and off of the board causing the front of the board to come up. There is no ollie. It’s all rear foot scoop. Scrape. The tail stays on the ground for awhile.
From what I’m told impossible and back threes are similar in the back foot.
Sometimes I do them fakie to try and get the more vertical wrap back

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: May 05, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »

If you want them that bad, the past two pages of this thread are full of tips on those that I gave and also corroborate what Ok is saying.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #862 on: May 05, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »

How did you not make a “wrap” pun right there?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: May 05, 2020, 05:32:02 PM »
To further react to Ok's post, I actually like the ones with the foot on the nose myself because that's just how you properly power through the trick. It does look and feel weird because then it becomes really obvious that it's not a modern trick so it'd stick out in most people's skating but personally I dig it. On the other hand, doing it from a modern type of foot positioning makes it feel like some soggy pressure flip to me.

Expand Quote
[close]

I suspect that he might be of the rare kind with good Internet manners.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:38:33 PM by silhouette »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #864 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you want them that bad, the past two pages of this thread are full of tips on those that I gave and also corroborate what Ok is saying.

Word, see them now! Thank you.

Expand Quote
[close]

Because I'm not you. <3

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #865 on: May 05, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yo, my bad, just went back thru and read your tip: that makes way more sense than what I was on about.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #866 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Nah you were spot on, actually. Basically expressing the same mechanics I was trying to describe about the trick myself, just in a more concise manner. Popular or not, that trick has always been a fun one!

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #867 on: May 06, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
someone help me with nollie kickflips? shit is impossible. can’t get my back foot to stay on.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #868 on: May 06, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
someone help me with nollie kickflips? shit is impossible. can’t get my back foot to stay on.

Shoulders parallel to the board, jump backwards like you're trying to get away from your nose (or like you're trying to nudge your nose ahead of you, which actually feels more like it) and flick out, not down. Practice nollies up stuff if nollie pop looks like it's a problem, but you don't really need pop for that trick (although it helps), just fine technique (but pop comes with that).

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #869 on: May 06, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shoulders parallel to the board, jump backwards like you're trying to get away from your nose (or like you're trying to nudge your nose ahead of you, which actually feels more like it) and flick out, not down. Practice nollies up stuff if nollie pop looks like it's a problem, but you don't really need pop for that trick (although it helps), just fine technique (but pop comes with that).

thank you!
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.