Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151955 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #870 on: May 06, 2020, 06:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
someone help me with nollie kickflips? shit is impossible. can’t get my back foot to stay on.
[close]

Shoulders parallel to the board, jump backwards like you're trying to get away from your nose (or like you're trying to nudge your nose ahead of you, which actually feels more like it) and flick out, not down. Practice nollies up stuff if nollie pop looks like it's a problem, but you don't really need pop for that trick (although it helps), just fine technique (but pop comes with that).
[close]

thank you!

Good advice.
Anyone ever have a trick and then realize....maybe you didn’t really have it?
I’ve been able to do those for 20 plus years, and sometimes with some decent pop. I’ve never been into being filmed, and thankfully people don’t ask to do so. I don’t think I’ve been flicking the trick very well at all. I think it’s pretty savage pedal. I’m legit bummed.
I was trying to flick a switch flip today and all of everything switch, regular, whatever was mobbed all to fuck.

dpelevator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #871 on: May 07, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »
Impossibles. (Obligatory: I used to have them so good but now I don’t blah blah)

I have the motion from muscle memory but it’s the foot placement I’m struggling with.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »
Impossibles. (Obligatory: I used to have them so good but now I don’t blah blah)

I have the motion from muscle memory but it’s the foot placement I’m struggling with.

Was just doing em yesterday slightly ok. Only trick that sorta worked for the sesh.

Anyways, the way I do em most often now is to have a foot/body position really similarly to how I set up for a 360 flip, but the back foot is deeper in the pocket, and the front foot is closer to the heel side edge.

If i can quit struggling over gear I’ll go try some switch (I can’t do em switch, but it’s always funny to try and take your own trick tip advice and use it on yourself to see that you are bullshit).

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #873 on: May 07, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »

I've noticed foot position for me depends on the board I am riding. I rode an AWS with a larger tail and had to put extra space between the back bolts and my foot. But on the FA I am riding currently my foot is close to touching the bolts because the tail is much shorter. Also I keep my foot completely straight width wise on the board. Dylan's impossible over the picnic table in the cinematographer project is a good example of the foot position.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #874 on: May 07, 2020, 12:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BS Kickflips - I can only do shitty Varial Flips and turning my body to land them, none of the big poppy ones with the sweet revert at the end. FS Flip are way easier for me.

If anyone has the secret sauce for this trick let me know
[close]

Do you have good back 180s?

Bs flips started working for me after I got very comfortable doing back 180s. The kind where you actually ollie/bring your front foot up when you do them. Now i just focus on doing a back 180 like i am used to and flick out while turning. they seem to work the easier and smoother i do them... try to pop them too much or flick too hard and they get weird. Hope that helps :-\

Anyone got the cheat codes for fs heel? I landed one once and slipped out.. never have come close again. after watching the lucas helas vid im going to try them with the front foot by the bolts like he did over the fire hydrant
[close]

My BS 180s have been getting better recently, way better than when I last stopped in 2010. The super boned out ones but I can feel the 50% front foot leading 50% back foot pivoting it.
I'll try flicking my foot straight off the nose this weekend, maybe get a little bit of back foot scoop in there too. Going to try and correct my head position, been dipping it too much for all my BS tricks.
[close]

You shouldn't really need to scoop with your back foot much, in fact too much scoop might be whats making it a bit rocket and varial-ish. Try get the rotation whilst popping straight down by a) using your shoulders and b) flicking off the nose and 'folding' the flip, this often helps the board rotate more.

If you struggle to get your body all the way around, like your body only makes it 90 degrees when your board does the full 180, I find that you can help that by looking at your back foot the whole time as that tricks your upper body to turn more and your lower body will follow a bit better.
[close]

I've heard the folding bs flip thing, do you have a clip of how that looks?
[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Cvp9SFQY_/

It's almost like a dolphin/forward flip except you turn your body with it I guess. Nowhere near as exaggerated though. If you try do this its probably not going to look anywhere near as tweaked as in this clip, but you should be shooting for that feeling. The comment above me is pretty on point too, though I would say it's not too important to try to catch at 90 and bring it around but if that helps, then by all means do that. If by folding the flick and winding up etc you can get your board and body to do the full rotation then there's no need to catch and complete the rotation.
[close]

this is especially true if youre goin for foldy ones.
theres a foldy flatland bs flip at 30s in this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF6MusFHwqc

and while we're here, you might as well watch the whole video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_NHwKNeq4&t=2068s
easily one of the best skate vids to ever come out of Scotland. Rattray section is rad

That first line is just all around amazing.

Good example of the “folding” look of bs flips , thinking about the trick as one whole motion is what made it click for me. Not a kickflip and turning, like others have said it’s flicking off the nose and using your already turned shoulders to guide the rotation.
It’s one of my few flat ground tricks I’m actually really pleased with. Never really feel ropey or fucked up when trying or doing them.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #875 on: May 07, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've noticed foot position for me depends on the board I am riding. I rode an AWS with a larger tail and had to put extra space between the back bolts and my foot. But on the FA I am riding currently my foot is close to touching the bolts because the tail is much shorter. Also I keep my foot completely straight width wise on the board. Dylan's impossible over the picnic table in the cinematographer project is a good example of the foot position.

Helpful. I’m riding a 917 with a super short tail so will stick closer to the bolts.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #876 on: May 07, 2020, 07:05:49 PM »
BS Lipslides - just managed to wrap my head around getting my back foot over the ledge but consistency is my problem. What angle should I go at? Do I think of it like a BS 50-50 but over-rotate my back foot? I think I could get into the slide but the board would get too far ahead of me and I wouldn't be able to stay on top of the board and just slide.

I have a shitty curb under my apartment block, it's crusty and rough so slides and grinds are out of the question. The asphalt slopes and cracks at all thee weirdest places too. But it is decent for practicing stalls of tricks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #877 on: May 08, 2020, 01:18:40 AM »
Nollies up stuff. My nollie is fine but going up anything larger than a curb feels really awkard.

Sona

• Rep: -82
« Reply #878 on: May 08, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
Switch backside pop shuv is cursed for me I either land wrong and break the board or slip out or whatever. I want to do them identical to my regular one but it never works out that way. Guess I just need to break more boards and fall down more
~

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #879 on: May 08, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »
BS Lipslides - just managed to wrap my head around getting my back foot over the ledge but consistency is my problem. What angle should I go at? Do I think of it like a BS 50-50 but over-rotate my back foot? I think I could get into the slide but the board would get too far ahead of me and I wouldn't be able to stay on top of the board and just slide.

I have a shitty curb under my apartment block, it's crusty and rough so slides and grinds are out of the question. The asphalt slopes and cracks at all thee weirdest places too. But it is decent for practicing stalls of tricks.

As far as the angle goes, yes think of it like a b/s 50-50. If you're having trouble getting the back foot over you can go at a slllllllightly bit more of an angle, but you don't want to  get on with so much of an angle you slide across the rail and hang your front truck on.

If you're doing them on ledges, you kind of have to push from toeside once you get on to get a good slide going.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #880 on: May 08, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
Switch backside pop shuv is cursed for me I either land wrong and break the board or slip out or whatever. I want to do them identical to my regular one but it never works out that way. Guess I just need to break more boards and fall down more

I might be able to do em better switch than regular, and that certainly used to be the case. Except. My feet come up together. No front foot catch. I look like I’m trying to do a skateboard high jump, 70s style. Fucked. When I try and catch front foot they start turning over and then primo and it’s all fucked. My regs are trash, keep scooping them like a tre.

I too can’t nollie up things. I don’t skate fast enough. I used to shifty/cheat everything. Like to get away from that

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #881 on: May 08, 2020, 11:58:48 AM »
Nollies up, over and down things are one of the best feelings ever, they're easier to learn up stuff coming at an angle at first, start even almost parallel if you need. That will kind of force you to (naturally) shifty your way up there but at least you'll get the right timing down as well as the backwards type of momentum on the jump (the key is to push your nose ahead of you by extending your whole leg and not just lean over the front of the board and wait for magic to happen). Then you can work on your angle of approach by gradually coming more and more perpendicular, eventually you'll get rid of the shifty technique or even learn how to control it (honestly, big shifty nollies are so fun). Also the number one thing to keep in mind with that trick over an obstacle of any sort is to pop early, like a full deck length earlier than you would pop something ollie-based over the same obstacle (so speed helps). Just pretend that if you don't, then you will clip the obstacle because well, that's exactly that will happen (or down stuff you will have a harder time getting proper pop). Also binge watch Paulo Diaz and realize it's one of the best tricks.

Sw pop shove I find super easy to control by popping off the big toe at the tip in the very middle of the tail (which I normally don't do for switch scooped tricks) and then you have to kind of nudge the board forwards so that you stay leaning backwards and don't naturally jump ahead of the trick, if you keep your shoulders in the same axis the whole time it should just start working. It kind of feels like the placement/pop/scoop type of a switch backside 180 if anything and then you can try getting the kind that's caught so early it feels like it never left your feet.

For ollie impossibles, no matter the board size/shape mine is always the same (in fact I find that trick to be one of the least set-up-dependent tricks as far as I'm concerned), back foot is always located across the whole width of the board and nested just behind the back bolts (I can actually feel the concave under my sole prior to popping and that's how I know I'm going to get the wrap).

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #882 on: May 08, 2020, 12:48:24 PM »
Thanks!

chlast.and.chlebicky

• Rep: 0
« Reply #883 on: May 15, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Basic heel flips - some days I’m all over it but some I can’t land a single flip. Any suggestions for front foot positioning?
[close]

dont hang your toes off so much. stand basicially like an ollie and throw your foot off.
I struggled with these for years but i was trying to do a HEEL flip when in actuallity its a 'side of of your shoe' flip

wobblehead, this helped alot.  the "side of your shoe" flip was the key i was missing. got it down on flat now trying on kickers.  cheers bro

Pnw

• Rep: -2
« Reply #884 on: May 15, 2020, 08:41:56 AM »
Popping out of backside 50s and any nose grind.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #885 on: May 15, 2020, 10:54:31 AM »
Popping out of backside 50s and any nose grind.

For bs 50s, make sure your weight is on your back foot while grinding. Just smash the tail down and jump in the directuin you wanna go.
IG: @flowterspace

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #886 on: May 15, 2020, 09:35:45 PM »
2 manny related questions.

1. Tips for ollie into nose manny.

2. Any trick out of a manny. 180 out or ollie out. Every manny I do I just roll off the pad.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #887 on: May 15, 2020, 10:39:58 PM »
Used to be Nollie fs 180s but now it’s everything, seemingly...

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #888 on: May 15, 2020, 10:49:45 PM »

2. Any trick out of a manny. 180 out or ollie out. Every manny I do I just roll off the pad.

1. What has always worked for me is to have the front foot square, and covering all the front bolts. Back foot is up near the back bolts with the ball of your foot and toes in the heel side pocket. When you get into the nose manny your front foot will be planted and back foot will be more on the toes, then it’s all about balance from there.

2. Practice manualing to Ollie just on the sidewalk. It’s easy and fun to manual a few squares and then Ollie a crack. Then just take it to the pad and Ollie our then try a 180, shove, or kickflip out. Also manualing to Ollie up a curb helps get your pop up.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #889 on: May 16, 2020, 12:18:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I might be able to do em better switch than regular, and that certainly used to be the case. Except. My feet come up together. No front foot catch. I look like I’m trying to do a skateboard high jump, 70s style. Fucked. When I try and catch front foot they start turning over and then primo and it’s all fucked. My regs are trash, keep scooping them like a tre.

I too can’t nollie up things. I don’t skate fast enough. I used to shifty/cheat everything. Like to get away from that

silhouette had very good tips, but i'll say this if you want to nollie things straight. try to not think about height of your pop, focus on pop direction and timing to drag it up. you don't need to be super fast to or pop super high to nollie up, but you have to pop early enough and hang in there til you are clear. i used to learn nollieing up curbs by learning to clear manholes first and knowing that, i knew i could pop about so far from the curb and probably still get up. just took it there. i don't nollie up anything higher than that though, as im old and tired. although i'd love to land some nollie nosemanual in my life at some point on some sort of legit ledge.

i couldn't sw bs shuv without doing the stevie revert (real badly). i'd always turn my body frontside. i have no tips for how to do it really. i just want to talk about how weird this trick is for me. i learned to do it okay by doing it basically yo style. using only my front foot to catch it and almost landing one footed. i also think they are fairly easy to do as a sloppy non popped skidder shove once you find that pressure spot in the pocket.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #890 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:51 AM »
^Not a tip by any means, but I find it fascinating that my regular pop shoves are basically a pop with a very slight scoop but my switch ones are like 90% scoop and almost no pop.  Maybe that’s just bad form.  Who knows.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #891 on: May 16, 2020, 02:53:44 AM »
^Not a tip by any means, but I find it fascinating that my regular pop shoves are basically a pop with a very slight scoop but my switch ones are like 90% scoop and almost no pop.  Maybe that’s just bad form.  Who knows.

That's probably just the way you learned them that's different, I could see it happen if you're mostly used to doing nollie shove variations for instance (especially if you don't pop them and just fling them) so now you feel like you have to go extra hard to compensate for the reversed momentum.

If you're trying to pop them and ideally catch them over stuff it might be bad technique (not necessarily form, that's more subjective), be it nollie or switch ones, I guess I used to force my switch ones a bit more when I first learned them too and that's the fundamental first step but now if I'm going to try and clear something (even imaginary) with that trick in either of those stances then the way I do them feels like I'm just popping straight down with the right foot positioning and there's absolutely zero scoop but the one induced by the hip placement I guess. If you watch, say, extreme examples like Alex Carolino who pop those tricks over benches or even classic European skaters who used to do that trick like Jan Kliewer, then it becomes very obvious how that way of doing it is supposed to work. On the other hand, if I add just one tiny bit of scoop to one of those tricks with that method then it instantly turns into its 360 counterpart (which is practical too).

To avoid the revert thing the key is to keep your shoulders and hips square and parallel to the board (maybe even oriented backwards as to really lock yourself into place) at all times, pre- and post-pop and also maybe to lean back a little more than you'd expect so that you never get anywhere near from landing with your weight on the wrong end of the board. Just skating switch more in general and developing confidence and comfort should naturally 'fix' this problem.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:57:59 AM by silhouette »

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #892 on: May 16, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

1. What has always worked for me is to have the front foot square, and covering all the front bolts. Back foot is up near the back bolts with the ball of your foot and toes in the heel side pocket. When you get into the nose manny your front foot will be planted and back foot will be more on the toes, then it’s all about balance from there.

2. Practice manualing to Ollie just on the sidewalk. It’s easy and fun to manual a few squares and then Ollie a crack. Then just take it to the pad and Ollie our then try a 180, shove, or kickflip out. Also manualing to Ollie up a curb helps get your pop up.

Hey thanks for this.

Tried the second tip today. Was definitely fun and actually got a couple small shitty ollies.

Going to try the nose manny tip next session.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: May 16, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hey thanks for this.

Tried the second tip today. Was definitely fun and actually got a couple small shitty ollies.

Going to try the nose manny tip next session.

Glad I could help, especially since I’m not skating right now.

Ghostrider

• Rep: 4
« Reply #894 on: May 27, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »
Heelflip
Inward heelflip
Varial kickflip
Nollie fs 180
Nollie fs bigspin
Switch bs 180

Don't like most of those anyway so no big deal i'm inconsistent with them

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #895 on: May 29, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »
Any tips for spreading your feet out and getting the back foot back on for tre flips? Getting the scoop and board rotation every time but my feet are either too close together when I land or the back foot comes off and forward a little bit. Trying to keep my shoulders square to prevent the back foot from coming forward.

Having a similar problem. I'm landing on the board three out of every five tries and riding away maybe one in ten because my feet are too far towards the nose and too close together. Help?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #896 on: May 30, 2020, 03:50:32 AM »
I ve been skating for 4/5 years now and somehow never skated curb. I can do 50/50 that is all.
So I suck at everything that slides or grinds.
I am currently trying to do NOSE SLIDE aha and I can't do it.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #897 on: May 30, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »
I ve been skating for 4/5 years now and somehow never skated curb. I can do 50/50 that is all.
So I suck at everything that slides or grinds.
I am currently trying to do NOSE SLIDE aha and I can't do it.

What’s your issue?  Can’t get into one?  Sticking?  Slipping out?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #898 on: May 31, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
it's getting a little better, main prob was/is slipping out

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #899 on: June 01, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
Slappy bs crooks. I smash into the curb, front truck in crooks position but can't get my front foot on top of the curb, and if so, I don't grind. That trick is seriously so hard for me, any help is appreciated. Shalom pals
IG: @flowterspace