Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151943 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #900 on: June 01, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
Slappy bs crooks. I smash into the curb, front truck in crooks position but can't get my front foot on top of the curb, and if so, I don't grind. That trick is seriously so hard for me, any help is appreciated. Shalom pals

Can you do normal crooks? It sounds like you can get your truck locked in but you're not grinding? Are you falling forward or something? Not sure what you mean by front foot not getting on top of the curb but you kinda need to ship your whole body weight over your front foot if that makes sense... but obviously not to the point where you stick from leaning too far forward.

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #901 on: June 02, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Slappy bs crooks. I smash into the curb, front truck in crooks position but can't get my front foot on top of the curb, and if so, I don't grind. That trick is seriously so hard for me, any help is appreciated. Shalom pals
[close]

Can you do normal crooks? It sounds like you can get your truck locked in but you're not grinding? Are you falling forward or something? Not sure what you mean by front foot not getting on top of the curb but you kinda need to ship your whole body weight over your front foot if that makes sense... but obviously not to the point where you stick from leaning too far forward.

Well I can't do normal crooks and I also can't nosewheelie.
Yeah I get into the slappy crooks but I am not grinding and fall forward. I try to lean back as far as possible and still don't grind. Would it help to wax the top of the curb? I only waxed the edge so far.
IG: @flowterspace

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #902 on: June 02, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well I can't do normal crooks and I also can't nosewheelie.
Yeah I get into the slappy crooks but I am not grinding and fall forward. I try to lean back as far as possible and still don't grind. Would it help to wax the top of the curb? I only waxed the edge so far.

I know you're not asking me, but do the top. I posted it in the other tricks thread but the best advice I've ever heard with slappy crooks is that they're a nose slide with a wheel pinched in.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #903 on: June 10, 2020, 06:34:43 AM »
anone else find back tails to be the most enfuriatingly incosistant trick?
was skating my little box yesterday and reguar back tails were ok but even the thought of trying something out of 'em  sends them heywire. stick stick stick, slip out, stick repeat... evetually got a biggy out but it was hideous haha any tips?

411_bandit

• Rep: -15
« Reply #904 on: June 10, 2020, 07:17:05 AM »
Fakie shuvs
#getbetterandy

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #905 on: June 10, 2020, 09:36:59 AM »
anone else find back tails to be the most enfuriatingly incosistant trick?
was skating my little box yesterday and reguar back tails were ok but even the thought of trying something out of 'em  sends them heywire. stick stick stick, slip out, stick repeat... evetually got a biggy out but it was hideous haha any tips?

I only have regular BSTS and Backtail to fakie so take this with a grain of salt. But I would say try and practice them to where doing it is automatic, almost as if you were doing a 50-50. Once you have that variations would probably be much easier since you only have to edit the trick that you already have on lock.

Glurmpz

« Reply #906 on: June 11, 2020, 01:27:20 AM »
I don't know if you consider them basic, but pretty much all switch kickflip and nollie kickflip tricks are my kryptonite. I can do a few of them, but they're heinous.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #907 on: June 11, 2020, 04:08:29 AM »
I don't know if you consider them basic, but pretty much all switch kickflip and nollie kickflip tricks are my kryptonite. I can do a few of them, but they're heinous.

I feel you there. I've done one good sw flip in my life, learning the flick again is challenging

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #908 on: June 11, 2020, 04:35:29 AM »
my kickflips are total ass and im not sure how to make them better, main problems i have that i can think of is if i need to just delay the flick more, bring up my back knee more, or just the fact im not sure what part of the board to flick my foot towards so it doesnt end up being a weird donkey kick where my leg goes out then back in really fast like a mob flip, i really want to get those better so im probably gonna just have to take a couple days to try and work it out.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #909 on: June 12, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
my kickflips are total ass and im not sure how to make them better, main problems i have that i can think of is if i need to just delay the flick more, bring up my back knee more, or just the fact im not sure what part of the board to flick my foot towards so it doesnt end up being a weird donkey kick where my leg goes out then back in really fast like a mob flip, i really want to get those better so im probably gonna just have to take a couple days to try and work it out.

bannedfromtheroom has a good one: pretend you only have the strip of your board the size of a 2x4 dead center where your bolts are to work with. That helps a lot with flicking off the nose, ie, kicking out instead of mobbing it. Helps with pop too, especially if you try putting your back foot just a little more towards the pocket than the tip of the tail; that seems to slow things down a bit and makes the ollie/flick easier to do smoothly because the nose doesn't rise so suddenly. Those two tips put my kickflips in working order to the point where the trick even feels good a lot of the time.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #910 on: June 12, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel you there. I've done one good sw flip in my life, learning the flick again is challenging

I can flick mine fine but can’t stay over the board to save my life.  It’s like bailing out behind the board is a hardwired part of my flick.  So I guess the flick isn’t so fine after all.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #911 on: June 13, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »
Going outside.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #912 on: June 14, 2020, 07:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bannedfromtheroom has a good one: pretend you only have the strip of your board the size of a 2x4 dead center where your bolts are to work with. That helps a lot with flicking off the nose, ie, kicking out instead of mobbing it. Helps with pop too, especially if you try putting your back foot just a little more towards the pocket than the tip of the tail; that seems to slow things down a bit and makes the ollie/flick easier to do smoothly because the nose doesn't rise so suddenly. Those two tips put my kickflips in working order to the point where the trick even feels good a lot of the time.

i tried this with my switch flips and can confirm it helps a lot

ha.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #913 on: June 15, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »
Its definitely regular kickflips for me, I used to be able to do them perfect but I quit for a few years. I can do switch and nollie flips(sometimes) but not regular. I always put my foot in a different position every time I set up for it

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #914 on: June 15, 2020, 07:49:43 PM »
Anyone know how to flick out for switch flips more and leave the flicking foot out in front until you catch it? I'm 99% sure I'm flicking off of the right part of the tail, but it kinda goes down ish.

I'm not necessarily too worried about mobbing as I feel like it'llget better with time and my flips are level and even sometimes slightly caught so it can't be tooo mobbed.

The bigger issue is that I pull my flicking foot in as soon as I get enough flick to make the board flip. By the time I (barely) catch it, my front foot is right next to my back foot which looks like shit.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #915 on: June 16, 2020, 03:55:28 AM »
Anyone know how to flick out for switch flips more and leave the flicking foot out in front until you catch it? I'm 99% sure I'm flicking off of the right part of the tail, but it kinda goes down ish.

I'm not necessarily too worried about mobbing as I feel like it'llget better with time and my flips are level and even sometimes slightly caught so it can't be tooo mobbed.

The bigger issue is that I pull my flicking foot in as soon as I get enough flick to make the board flip. By the time I (barely) catch it, my front foot is right next to my back foot which looks like shit.

I don't break down my switch flips in fine detail all that much but I'll occasionally do ones that I like and when that happens I find that the timing of it all has a lot to do with how I tweak switch ollies if that makes sense. I've always liked tweaking my switch ollies with that kind of forward shifty motion trying to drive the tail ahead of me with my front foot, and when I do a switch flip that feels good it's usually just an extension of that motion and the back foot catch/tweak becomes automatic because it's already happening at the peak of the jump anyway. Shoulder positioning probably plays a role too, I usually hold them very parallel to the board as opposed to a more open stance like I would for switch frontside flip and I think it helps with the linearity of the motion and getting the optimal tension applied on the surface of the board. It's one of those tricks that just work best when visualized on a two-dimensional plane and not three-dimensional (which resonates with the 'think in a straight line going through the board' tip posted earlier).

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #916 on: June 16, 2020, 07:01:52 AM »

I get this with both regular and switch kickflips: too quick to retract. I think I’ve just got too much mob movements going on, especially switch. I cannot really drag my flicking foot, I usually start off with foot on, or right below, the bolts.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #917 on: June 16, 2020, 11:10:52 AM »
Loved this thread – Took me about a month to read it at work, but some of the stuff in here is GOLD!!

That front shuv trick – DAMN! Had my front shuvs pretty good I’d say, but that push straight down tricks just makes them that more consistent!!

I actually took a few notes (cut n paste) to read after the fact so I don’t have to dig certain things up. If I can land a back three one day Ill be ever so grateful. I think im semi hopeless on this one. And I’ve been inspired to perhaps try a Bluntslide. Used to slappy them back in the 90’s, but its been a few years, and the ledges are a wee bit higher than the old sidewalks we used to skate…Backside seems easier to slide, but might seem like id slip out to easily, where as I think I can lock a f/s but sliding would be tuff. Well see (lots of wishful thinking going on in my head now…)

Shout out to Silhouette – he had a bunch of good tips in there and really takes the time to explain things. Seems like a good skater too – Thanks for sharing!

Couple of people said they had a hard time with power slides. Try to be light on your feet, and just give’er and hang on. I can make a lil how too vid if need be. Powerslides kick ass, lots of fun, everyone should learn em. Backside ones are THE best…

Thought this was a nice pick me up aka Boostarama when you’re having a hard time, thanks Silhouette!!

On a more serious note though, you're already good enough on a skateboard to do whatever you realistically envision yourself doing and then a lot more. Everyone is. I believe that a lot of what makes the difference in people's technical progression is self-confidence (not believing that you can actually do something blocks you from even really trying, which in turns comforts you into the delusion that you can't do it, etc., whereas perceiving a movement as something natural and simple helps you get there instinctively, similarly to learning a language when directly immersed into a foreign environment), and a basic understanding of some rudimentary physics as well as their own anatomy, essentially studying posture (from your favorite skaters' footage, etc.) without neglecting a single part of your body as well as the shape and reactions of the skateboard as a simple object to manipulate - understanding the pressure points, mentally breaking down your griptape side into a grid and whatnot. Once you've understood the basic physical principles, the only limitation is yourself, comprising the ones of your own body. At that stage if you still struggle with a certain trick due to seemingly being unable to do a specific motion, then at least by you're basically aware of exactly what it is you're doing wrong (and essentially too lazy or comfortable anyway to train hard enough to fix it). The reality is skateboarding is only as difficult for a person as they believe it is, and make it out to be.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:35:54 PM by silhouette »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #918 on: June 16, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
front foot on nose in the pocket with heel hanging off, back foot on bolts, heel also kinda hanging off. then it's kind've a 2 step thing where the front wheel has to bounce up onto the top and then you pinch and grind, kinda come in at a 30 degree angle, not super parallel. if you don't wait for that wheel to bounce up you'll either jam or noseslide. one thing that'll happen here and there is your foot will slip off the nose when you're getting on the curb too.

definitely wax some of the top of the curb too because the nose will contact the curb and could stick, and expect to come out fakie for a minute because bringing them back to regs is kinda tricky especially if the curb is lower.

good luck, probably my favorite trick right now.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #919 on: June 17, 2020, 01:07:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't break down my switch flips in fine detail all that much but I'll occasionally do ones that I like and when that happens I find that the timing of it all has a lot to do with how I tweak switch ollies if that makes sense. I've always liked tweaking my switch ollies with that kind of forward shifty motion trying to drive the tail ahead of me with my front foot, and when I do a switch flip that feels good it's usually just an extension of that motion and the back foot catch/tweak becomes automatic because it's already happening at the peak of the jump anyway. Shoulder positioning probably plays a role too, I usually hold them very parallel to the board as opposed to a more open stance like I would for switch frontside flip and I think it helps with the linearity of the motion and getting the optimal tension applied on the surface of the board. It's one of those tricks that just work best when visualized on a two-dimensional plane and not three-dimensional (which resonates with the 'think in a straight line going through the board' tip posted earlier).

I tried a few more today and its getting a tiny bit better. Super weird because I'm catching it properly with my back foot and the board is even boning a bit but the flick still looks like shit, but really trying hard to keep my front foot hanging out there until my back foot catches is helping. Learning these from a clean slate so don't wanna develop any bad habits.

They're currently a bit off, but my switch ollie has historically been more proper than my regular one sometimes, so its weird that switch flips feel so foreign to me. Keeping shoulders dead parallel also super important for sure.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 01:18:08 AM by tzhangdox »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #920 on: June 17, 2020, 06:12:06 AM »
Tail blocks. My foot is always touching the deck. Most times I get the splits when I jump back in.

Font side laybacks. I can do like fs rock and fs hurricane to forward but I cannot get on with a slash an put my hand down.

If anyone has any tips would be nice. I'm heading to a quarter pipe in about an HR.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: June 18, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »
Shout out to Silhouette – he had a bunch of good tips in there and really takes the time to explain things.

Yo I appreciate that, I also write that stuff down for people like you who're passionate about skating enough to dig into this kind of threads and read the old posts! I believe I've posted back 3 tips before so you might have found them already but if you're stuck at a certain stage I'm lurking this thread quite a bit so maybe I can help you out specifically understanding what it is you're doing wrong. But in general I'd just recommend doing a lot of b/s 360 step hops to get the right groove in the shoulders and movement and then essentially do the same thing without putting the front foot down. There's no reason why you won't get them.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #922 on: June 18, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »

On a more serious note though, you're already good enough on a skateboard to do whatever you realistically envision yourself doing and then a lot more. Everyone is. I believe that a lot of what makes the difference in people's technical progression is self-confidence (not believing that you can actually do something blocks you from even really trying, which in turns comforts you into the delusion that you can't do it, etc., whereas perceiving a movement as something natural and simple helps you get there instinctively, similarly to learning a language when directly immersed into a foreign environment), and a basic understanding of some rudimentary physics as well as their own anatomy, essentially studying posture (from your favorite skaters' footage, etc.) without neglecting a single part of your body as well as the shape and reactions of the skateboard as a simple object to manipulate - understanding the pressure points, mentally breaking down your griptape side into a grid and whatnot. Once you've understood the basic physical principles, the only limitation is yourself, comprising the ones of your own body. At that stage if you still struggle with a certain trick due to seemingly being unable to do a specific motion, then at least by you're basically aware of exactly what it is you're doing wrong (and essentially too lazy or comfortable anyway to train hard enough to fix it). The reality is skateboarding is only as difficult for a person as they believe it is, and make it out to be.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:35:54 PM by silhouette »

Well put, sometimes you just need someone to psych you up enough to try the trick 1 time so you have the confidence to try it. Subsequent attempts are fine tuning the physics of it. Much easier said than done though.

I wish more trick tips would focus on the rotation of hips, shoulders and eye point. I was bored during lockdown and went to read into one of Chris Cole's Sessions trick tips on IG (I'm not giving him my money just yet). He was discussing BS lipslides and briefly mentioned using your hips to pivot and rotate your legs-feet-board over the rail. That's how you get the perfect looking Kirchart / Arto ones.

Im not the most talented in skateboarding or any sports so having technique broken down like this is very helpful for me. Miles better than the old Willy Santos trick tips hosted on the old Birdhouse page.

1) to do a kickflip put your front door in the kickflip position
2) pop your board and drag your foot
3) flick your toe to flip the board
4) catch it on the griptape side
5) bend your knees and ride away
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: June 18, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »
Im not the most talented in skateboarding or any sports so having technique broken down like this is very helpful for me. Miles better than the old Willy Santos trick tips hosted on the old Birdhouse page.

1) to do a kickflip put your front door in the kickflip position
2) pop your board and drag your foot
3) flick your toe to flip the board
4) catch it on the griptape side

The first skate mag I ever saw was a Skate One (the old Powell catalogues) and it had this frontside 360 ollie trick tip by I think Pat Channita, IIRC the steps were literally 1/ ollie, 2/ turn 360 degrees frontside, 3/ land and roll away. The sequence of Pat was of an impeccable one down a double set or something. I never got good at that trick in retribution.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #924 on: June 18, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »
I have a weird guilty pleasure of watching pro trick tips because almost all of them are really bad at explaining how to do tricks.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #925 on: June 18, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »

Wasnt it "Ride away clean"..lol

Gonna try those back 3 no complies tomorrow and will report back Silhouette!!

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #926 on: June 18, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
I have a weird guilty pleasure of watching pro trick tips because almost all of them are really bad at explaining how to do tricks.

This one is my favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWFbi2gsew

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #927 on: June 18, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This one is my favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWFbi2gsew

visible frustration
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #928 on: June 18, 2020, 07:55:37 PM »
The ssbsts clip is great cuz he's clearly clowning on it, but some of them will be a 5 minute tutorial of "you, ummm, pop the uhh tail, and you use your FRONT foot to flip the board."

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #929 on: June 18, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »
The ssbsts clip is great cuz he's clearly clowning on it, but some of them will be a 5 minute tutorial of "you, ummm, pop the uhh tail, and you use your FRONT foot to flip the board."

I'm here for the secret sauce of the trick tip, insight that cuts through the BS and conventional wisdom of the trick. Like silhouette mentioned how your shoulders, eye point and foot position can make a world of difference for 360 flips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m