Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151942 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #990 on: September 01, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Facing a huge mental block with BS 5-0 on a medium tall ledge, I could do them no problems in a lower ledge back before lockdown. I can BS 50 and nosegrind it consistently but my mind just blanks out when it comes to back truck tricks, I end up not popping or rocketing my Ollie too much. Really regret not working on more BS tricks when I was younger.

And my extension stuff that needs you rolling backside to the ledge like FS 1/2 cab noseslides.
[close]

Fs half cab noseslides are not mechanically difficult, just super awkward but once you get used to the weird motion, they're not too bad with practice. Roll up to the ledge parallel ish, but with some angle. Look at the ledge as you roll up, but as you get ready to pop be ready to turn fully blind. As soon as you pop, you want to turn your whole body blind, look at your back foot and aim it onto the ledge into the noseslide. By that point you should feel like you're fully sliding backwards. Super weird but its mostly figuring out timing and spacing, as well as looking forward when rolling up but completely going blind the moment you pop.
[close]
this is going to sound weird but when I do fakie frontside noseslides I pretend like I’m doing switch a nollie backtail. Sounds silly but that’s how I trick my body into doing it...

Question: what if I can't nollie back tail?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #991 on: September 01, 2020, 09:10:44 PM »
Oh shit 🤪

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #992 on: September 04, 2020, 07:38:11 AM »
Oh shit 🤪
Landed 3 today, commit to the pop and focus on the rotation. Landed it just before the storm came, very shalom.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #993 on: September 04, 2020, 07:50:07 AM »
Dope, nollie back tails are a lot of fun!
Now just pretend your doing them switch for the half cab front nose🤔

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #994 on: September 04, 2020, 08:14:39 AM »

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #995 on: September 04, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
I’ll try this and if it doesn’t work, I won’t be surprised. I’m not very good but I’m gonna be mad haha
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #996 on: September 04, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’ll try this and if it doesn’t work, I won’t be surprised. I’m not very good but I’m gonna be mad haha

Nollie back tail shuvit is actually easier cause you just push your foot through the slide and then you shuffle you front foot back slightly and the board usually just pops out. I think to fakie is harder and to regular is the hardest.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 04:54:46 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #997 on: September 04, 2020, 06:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
lol what I mean by that statement is don’t think of them as front half cabbing into a front nose slide, especially if you want to come out to fakie, it’s the same movement as a nollie back tail, just switch (which sounds stupid in writing but is really what made them click in my head)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #998 on: September 04, 2020, 10:42:17 PM »
Can someone explain to me how that no comply flip thing up curbs works?  I’ve wanted to learn them since seeing Mike Rusczyk do one in his art bars part.  No idea what kind of witchcraft is going on there.

3:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDEMT4v9B4&feature=share
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #999 on: September 05, 2020, 12:21:34 AM »
Can someone explain to me how that no comply flip thing up curbs works?  I’ve wanted to learn them since seeing Mike Rusczyk do one in his art bars part.  No idea what kind of witchcraft is going on there.

Its not a straight no comply you make the board to a slight front shuv. The one wheel hitting the curb or whatever instead of both at the same time is what makes it flip.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1000 on: September 05, 2020, 01:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Its not a straight no comply you make the board to a slight front shuv. The one wheel hitting the curb or whatever instead of both at the same time is what makes it flip.

Magic, got it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1001 on: September 05, 2020, 02:37:49 AM »

You do it exactly how you would do a no-comply up or over a curb (where the tail smacks the curb) but instead of having your back foot cover the whole tail, you use your toes to apply more pressure over the toe-side pocket of the tail. Because of the extra pressure, that part of the tail will smack the curb first (it's subtle) and once you let go of the board instead of jumping with it, because of the rebound it will flip like a kickflip. Basically without the flip you want your back foot centered to eliminate the rebound, whereas with the flip you're deliberately aiming for the rebound.

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #1002 on: September 05, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »
bs tails. i can do them and ive filmed a few (just iphone shit) but i always either stick immediately or slip out.

tragic

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1003 on: September 25, 2020, 09:03:52 AM »
bs tails. i can do them and ive filmed a few (just iphone shit) but i always either stick immediately or slip out.

tragic

Try to put yur feet in a slight duck stance - back foot with toes pointed more towards the tail and heel lil higher up, and then same for front foot - just opposite of back (toes toward the nose. I find it can help a lil bit. When you wind up and ollie into the BSTS, flex your abs to try and make your whole upper rock solid and that might help. Look forward too. Youll get it.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #1004 on: September 25, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
Axel stalls. fakie tail stall on quarters.

basically any quarter trick that involves me getting on top of it. growing up skating the East Coast in late 90's/00's we had no parks, didnt have a friend with a miniramp.  so my transition skills never developed. skated ledges, manny pads, gaps, flat ground, etc. 

I can pop nice kickflips to fakie, nollie bs 180 and fs 180 , nollie bs disaster , nollie bs smith, but if I try to actually put my self on top of the quarter its just awkward as hell . I can slash 5050s/ 5-0's / bs smith etc. but can't train myself to stand up on them properly , always feel like I'm gonna slip out. Partly due to the small quarter at our park being pretty steep and there being no mellow transition , and the rest due to me feeling completely off balance when trying to reposition myself on top of tricks on coping.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: September 25, 2020, 10:27:54 PM »
360 flips. Park got rained out so we skated a flatland spot with smooth flooring. Never been able to do them except for 1 day 15 years ago. Managed to roll away with 6 out of 50 today. @silhouette's trick tips really helped, when I went 90% focus on  my back door I was much more likely to have a nice flip and at least land on the grip before slipping out. If anyone has any tips for not landing with your feet too close let me know
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

scarypasta

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1006 on: September 26, 2020, 05:56:04 AM »
Nollies fakie ollies over things always mess the timing up and have my deck hitting whatever im trying to get over.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1007 on: September 26, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
Backside 180 to switch manual. I don't know if it's basic, but feels like it shouldn't be this fucking hard.

I can't front tail for shit on ledges or transition. No way I'll ever do a front lip on a flat bar ever.

Hombreezy

« Reply #1008 on: September 26, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »
360 flips. Park got rained out so we skated a flatland spot with smooth flooring. Never been able to do them except for 1 day 15 years ago. Managed to roll away with 6 out of 50 today. @silhouette's trick tips really helped, when I went 90% focus on  my back door I was much more likely to have a nice flip and at least land on the grip before slipping out. If anyone has any tips for not landing with your feet too close let me know
Aside from scooping directly underneath me(which is a pretty base level tip), I grip the board with my toes inside my shoe when I scoop, so it pops super high and looks tweaked. This also makes the scoop more consistent. To catch it clean midair I put my front foot a bit higher on the board and put more weight than usual in it so it also flicks and catches kalis like.
The other tip people might tell you is to put a lot more potential energy in your back ankle rather than your back foot. This is how you get that stanky leg tre (ew). I prefer to keep the weight in my foot to get that crazy good pop and catch but skatings all subjective.
Don’t forget to jump straight up and slightly out or else you might land on the nose or miss the board entirely. If you keep landing on the nose it’s because you’re jumping forward instead of up and out. (Forward being the way you’re rolling, and out being in front of you)This also comes from messing up your shoulders and can usually be attributed to scooping so hard, non commitment, or fatigue. Focus on getting a super clean scoop and isolating the fuck out of your shoulders when you jump.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:37:40 AM by Hombreezy »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: September 26, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Aside from scooping directly underneath me(which is a pretty base level tip), I grip the board with my toes inside my shoe when I scoop, so it pops super high and looks tweaked. This also makes the scoop more consistent. To catch it clean midair I put my front foot a bit higher on the board and put more weight than usual in it so it also flicks and catches kalis like.
The other tip people might tell you is to put a lot more potential energy in your back ankle rather than your back foot. This is how you get that stanky leg tre (ew). I prefer to keep the weight in my foot to get that crazy good pop and catch but skatings all subjective.
Don’t forget to jump straight up and slightly out or else you might land on the nose or miss the board entirely. If you keep landing on the nose it’s because you’re jumping forward instead of up and out. (Forward being the way you’re rolling, and out being in front of you)This also comes from messing up your shoulders and can usually be attributed to scooping so hard, non commitment, or fatigue. Focus on getting a super clean scoop and isolating the fuck out of your shoulders when you jump.

Thanks for the tips, the 1 I have recorded my shoulder are somewhat pointing forward, in-line with the board. I am hunching over a lot. I noticed that even before I pop my board has already started rotating the 360 shove motion, and it looks like the board is even rolling ahead of me. The ground was very slick so getting nice and stable in preparation was a challenge too. Skinny Bones V3 in STF had me slipping all over the place.

Gear aside, I'll focus on the shove and where I jump - slightly out and up
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1010 on: September 26, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
I'm stoked you got some, yeah the feet together thing is a sign that you're in the process of overcoming your reflex of not catching the board but still too uncertain about the rotation to really stomp it. Sounds like you're past the 'under-rotated varial kickflip body varial-looking hybrid' phase that some people go through when they're still trying to find their scoop, but you still need to find the exact right scoop that works for you.

Back ankle is a good tip, personally when I do them (with pop, never been interested in the lazy ones) on footage it looks like my whole back leg sways to the side, it shouldn't feel like brute force though, I also do second jumping straight up but not necessarily out as ideally you shouldn't have to compensate for the board ever leaving its axis, instead I'd recommend trying to keep it under you with a somewhat vertical pop, then your front foot can just drag it upwards and then flick in the continuity of the motion as you essentially sit over the trick (as opposed to being hunched over it).

Definitely keep those shoulders in check (isolating them is a good way to put it actually) and focus on getting the full 360 of the board before you really think about the flip. It's actually easier on slick ground (making such spots a good place to work on that trick), on rougher terrain you really need to insist on pushing the board into the 360 a bit more.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:12:22 AM by silhouette »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: September 27, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »
I'm stoked you got some, yeah the feet together thing is a sign that you're in the process of overcoming your reflex of not catching the board but still too uncertain about the rotation to really stomp it. Sounds like you're past the 'under-rotated varial kickflip body varial-looking hybrid' phase that some people go through when they're still trying to find their scoop, but you still need to find the exact right scoop that works for you.

Back ankle is a good tip, personally when I do them (with pop, never been interested in the lazy ones) on footage it looks like my whole back leg sways to the side, it shouldn't feel like brute force though, I also do second jumping straight up but not necessarily out as ideally you shouldn't have to compensate for the board ever leaving its axis, instead I'd recommend trying to keep it under you with a somewhat vertical pop, then your front foot can just drag it upwards and then flick in the continuity of the motion as you essentially sit over the trick (as opposed to being hunched over it).

Definitely keep those shoulders in check (isolating them is a good way to put it actually) and focus on getting the full 360 of the board before you really think about the flip. It's actually easier on slick ground (making such spots a good place to work on that trick), on rougher terrain you really need to insist on pushing the board into the 360 a bit more.

Advice was definitely helpful, I forced myself to keep my shoulders straight and aligned with the board, catching was definitely easier. Took me 20 tries to land 5 instead of 50 from yesterday. My arms were swinging pretty wildly mid trick, the footage will attest to that. I think I may have even dabbed at 1 point.

I still need the assist of a smooth floor, could not get the round on rougher skatepark ground.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sbmfj

« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2020, 08:10:36 AM »
Noseslide to krooks coming along. Can slide and grind but cant seem to pop out or revert out. Its my shoulders, or lack of them turning. Try some more later on this week.

Have a good one boys.

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
Frontside pop shove its. Mine have no pop...its all scoop. Annoying. Needs more work.

I have never been able to do a f shuv. Can do them switch and nollie tho

sbmfj

« Reply #1014 on: September 29, 2020, 05:01:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Frontside pop shove its. Mine have no pop...its all scoop. Annoying. Needs more work.
[close]

Got this tip on the Slap forum,. and it works wonders.

Back foot on tip of tail, centered, tap down hard, straight down, no scoop.
Should work.
Good luck

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1015 on: September 29, 2020, 03:45:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Got this tip on the Slap forum,. and it works wonders.

Back foot on tip of tail, centered, tap down hard, straight down, no scoop.
Should work.
Good luck

This is what I always hear and people swear by it. Im still terrible at them but it definitely works

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1016 on: October 02, 2020, 05:52:58 PM »
Nollies fakie ollies over things always mess the timing up and have my deck hitting whatever im trying to get over.
You said it tho, it's just timing. You got that easy. I practiced nollie over shit over cracks in the road. Stil had my board pop right into the crack plenty but way less intimidating than nollie up the curb or over yer flat bar. I also use my back shoulder to like pull up my nollie over shit.
So it's just timing. Practice an yer there.
Whoa. Danger.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1017 on: October 04, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »
First post here. Don’t really have any knowledge to share but I’m hoping you guys can help me out. My kickflip almost always goes behind me, where I land with my heels on the board. I have tried leaning back, jumping back, keeping my shoulders straight, jumping higher, etc etc forever. Any ideas here? Thank you!

https://youtu.be/Uv2ypRYUUFs

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1018 on: October 04, 2020, 09:02:10 AM »
First post here. Don’t really have any knowledge to share but I’m hoping you guys can help me out. My kickflip almost always goes behind me, where I land with my heels on the board. I have tried leaning back, jumping back, keeping my shoulders straight, jumping higher, etc etc forever. Any ideas here? Thank you!

try em rolling, kickflips are way harder stationary.
it looks like you have the basic mechanics of the trick down, just try to jump more - get them shoulders up high, suck up your knees and the board should follow.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1019 on: October 04, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »
Did not know that! Will definitely give it a go rolling tonight. Thanks my dude.

Expand Quote

[close]

try em rolling, kickflips are way harder stationary.
it looks like you have the basic mechanics of the trick down, just try to jump more - get them shoulders up high, suck up your knees and the board should follow.