Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 152029 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #1020 on: October 04, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
Try and keep your head over your board, bend straight down instead of leaning off the side. Doing them rolling will help as you won't have that option so much as you'll be facing forward instead of sideways. But if you're not comfortable rolling then try and position your body as if you were.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Jurfin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1021 on: October 04, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
Will definitely give that a go and try to keep my head above the board tonight. Hoping some attempts with some speed will get this shit sorted out. Thanks!

Try and keep your head over your board, bend straight down instead of leaning off the side. Doing them rolling will help as you won't have that option so much as you'll be facing forward instead of sideways. But if you're not comfortable rolling then try and position your body as if you were.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1022 on: October 04, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »
Will definitely give that a go and try to keep my head above the board tonight. Hoping some attempts with some speed will get this shit sorted out. Thanks!

Expand Quote
[close]

didn't see your footplacement, but you seem to flick out to the side much. you can try and have your board more like an ollie position and kick it more towards the nose. that might help with the board flipping towards your back. you're almost there anyways, when you roll, as the poster above me said, it will be easier to keep the board under you. learning to flick the board off the nose can help you control the flick better. when it becomes second nature it will feel almost similar to an ollie and you would have your feet set up almost the same way. if you just keep your toes on your board, you will have a less controlled flick, less time and area to drag the board up. you don't want to just kick or shove the board to the side with your foot. if you learn this the trick will become much easier. the same applies to heelflips to some extent, except footplacement i'd say, but for many one or the other just feels more natural to do.

jeremy wray is the best example of the technique i am describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYaZ1c1lMsg

Jurfin

« Reply #1023 on: October 04, 2020, 12:24:33 PM »
Solid advice. I’ve had way less front foot on the board than that video’s placement. Will definitely try this out and report back. Thanks for all the input here homies!

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

didn't see your footplacement, but you seem to flick out to the side much. you can try and have your board more like an ollie position and kick it more towards the nose. that might help with the board flipping towards your back. you're almost there anyways, when you roll, as the poster above me said, it will be easier to keep the board under you. learning to flick the board off the nose can help you control the flick better. when it becomes second nature it will feel almost similar to an ollie and you would have your feet set up almost the same way. if you just keep your toes on your board, you will have a less controlled flick, less time and area to drag the board up. you don't want to just kick or shove the board to the side with your foot. if you learn this the trick will become much easier. the same applies to heelflips to some extent, except footplacement i'd say, but for many one or the other just feels more natural to do.

jeremy wray is the best example of the technique i am describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYaZ1c1lMsg

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1024 on: October 04, 2020, 12:55:52 PM »
Solid advice. I’ve had way less front foot on the board than that video’s placement. Will definitely try this out and report back. Thanks for all the input here homies!

you're welcome, bud. just one thing about jeremy wray, he was/is notorious for having A LOT of foot on his board for his kickflips, like exaggeratedly so. you want to adapt to something you feel comfortable with and what works for you. there is no need to copy exactly what he does, but you can see in the video how having more dragging surface helps mr wray maintain a smooth flow of movement during the trick. the trick is in finding the right pocket of the nose to flick out of, until then you basically ollie.

good luck and have fun learning, having a comfy kickflip is one of the best things to have. i, too, have to readjust how i do em when i haven't skated in a while or skate unfamiliar shapes, but there's no better feeling then catching a nice level kickflip, even if it wasn't super high.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1025 on: October 05, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »
Anyone have the secret sauce on heelflips? I can kickflip consistently but I can't for the life of me do heelflips.

1) board rockets and 1/2 flips, almost credit card myself
2) board doesn't pop off the ground
3) board pops and I'm 1/2 a foot in front of the deck

I had shitty ones in my youth, nothing substantial or solid enough to try down gaps or in SKATE. I think I've landed more fluke Switch Heels than regular heelflips in the last year.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1026 on: October 05, 2020, 11:25:48 PM »
Anyone have the secret sauce on heelflips? I can kickflip consistently but I can't for the life of me do heelflips.

1) board rockets and 1/2 flips, almost credit card myself
2) board doesn't pop off the ground
3) board pops and I'm 1/2 a foot in front of the deck

I had shitty ones in my youth, nothing substantial or solid enough to try down gaps or in SKATE. I think I've landed more fluke Switch Heels than regular heelflips in the last year.

EDIT: jeremy wray actually does a really good heelflip explanation above your post

works best when i treat it like a one foot and for some reason i find them easier down small stuff. so my flickfoot toes hang off and my pop foot is a little towards my back. a little bit how you would set up for a fs shove, but i pop more or less straight, slight bs tilt maybe.

for 1) it might work to actually drag your flick foot up a little earlier than for an ollie or kickflip so the board doesn't really come up as vertical anyways. and focus on flicking off over the nose to further level it down.

2) that dead pop probably comes from the backfoot placement. i think it's harder to pop a heelflip like an ollie or kickflip. gotta be really on your toes for the pop. something about the way of the flick and how you set up for it can make the setup weird and wonky since you most likely only are flatfooted with the flickfoot and on your toes with your popfoot and all tension evaporates the moment you want to pop off and then you hippy jump off basically. i would experiment with backfoot placement and weight distribution. you probably lean forward a bit too much in those cases, too. 

3) probably didn't catch much surface dragging the board forward with your flick foot and focus too much on kicking it out to flip it.

my first goal would be to get them to flip em leveled slightly in front of me. don't even commit, just try and flick em like you pretend you are neen a little bit. the cool thing is you can't really get credit carded this way. i think it's way more important to get the level flip down, even if it's too slow at first, just so it doesn't fuck with your head cuz of the credit card thing. i'd rather land a leveled heelflip primo than get credit carded. what also helped me is basically aim for something to flick it at if that makes sense, even if i had to imagine that thing. helps with flicking off the nose. and tilting my pop bs slightly helps me personally to avoid it to wipe out into a half assed varial heel. if you get it to flip nicely and basically have no rocketing anymore, it should be super easy to commit. i sometimes have days tho when nothing goes and i have all these problems, too.

my basic trick that pisses me off is the regular fs 180, which i dislike compared to sw 180. takes me a lot of effort to do a good one. sw ones are way more fun and feel more natural for whatever reason. i am trying to get better at fs ollies to finally(!) learn fs flips, but i don't really enjoy doing them. maybe they become more fun when i do them up and over stuff, i should try that maybe. i only fs ollie to change stance mid skating basically, but would probably rather bs nollie in a line.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1027 on: October 05, 2020, 11:37:36 PM »
Well, you need to kick out properly to level out your board and give it space to flip, but that's obvious sauce. The secret sauce for me is that I also use my ankle to flip it. What I mean is that I tip my flicking foot straight down like a ballet dancer to help get a consistent flip. Think of it kinda like people do late flips. With this technique, I can do a shitty heelflip without kicking out at all. Figure out how to flick your foot against the rail of the board first to get the flip, then add more of a kick later when you wanna go popping 'em over homeless people, etc.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1028 on: October 06, 2020, 12:31:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. I like to visualize of both heel and kickflips are striking a match to ignition. Dragging your foot up the grip is you running the match across the surface, the flick of your toe / heel is snapping the match head to get the chemical reaction going.

Edit: I'm definitely not committing to the pop or the drag, doing a mob heelflip. I'll check my popping foot position and commit to every one.

I was wondering if there are exercises that could be used to get used to the motion of heelflips. I've been using elastic bands on my ankles to practice the flicking motion of my kickflips with great results. I wonder if there are "in-chair" exercises that you can practice at home to get the ankle familiar in kicking that way.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1029 on: October 06, 2020, 01:41:21 PM »
I feel that the best way to warm up heel flips is to do them Fakie.

Fakie heel is my 2nd strongest of the straight 8.

On my very best days now I'm old I like Fakie heel Fakie nose grind forward.

On a very very good day sw front shuv. I wish someone would trade me a little ledge / manny pad for my shot gun rail.

I would be trying to do shit I've never done like front big spin out of the Fakie heel Fakie nose grind.

My manny pad goal is get a bs flip Fakie manny in Lynn in traffic.

I got a tripod
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Jurfin

« Reply #1030 on: October 06, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for everyone chiming in on my kickflip probs. Really do appreciate the help. I went to work on them last night and noticed some good changes with keeping my head above the board, and putting more of my front foot on the board definitely gave me a more consistent flick and flip and what felt like more control. Doing them rolling also helped keep them under me quite a bit.

Unfortunately I was a few tries in and I felt a tear in my upper thigh groin region on my back leg, and had to pack it up. I have some kind of awful rip in the muscle of my popping leg’s groin. This is a problem I’ve had since I started skating a few months ago. Currently icing it and being fucking annoyed... When my body gets over this, I will perfect these goddamn kickflips, no matter what. Until then!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: October 06, 2020, 08:47:39 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for everyone chiming in on my kickflip probs. Really do appreciate the help. I went to work on them last night and noticed some good changes with keeping my head above the board, and putting more of my front foot on the board definitely gave me a more consistent flick and flip and what felt like more control. Doing them rolling also helped keep them under me quite a bit.

Unfortunately I was a few tries in and I felt a tear in my upper thigh groin region on my back leg, and had to pack it up. I have some kind of awful rip in the muscle of my popping leg’s groin. This is a problem I’ve had since I started skating a few months ago. Currently icing it and being fucking annoyed... When my body gets over this, I will perfect these goddamn kickflips, no matter what. Until then!

Jesus, I'm sorry to hear about the groin, nothing like an injury to sideline your progress. I'm a huge advocate for rehab exercises with elastic bands and stuff, check out Dr Kyle Brown (https://www.instagram.com/dr.kylebrown/) for some stuff you can do from your desk or sofa. Not to sound like a nag but a proper rehab ensure you can come back stronger and less prone to injuries in the future. Take it from me, my shitty ankles and countless other dudes who rushed out to skate instead of letting their body heal up fully.

BS 180 Nosegrinds - I'm learning I need to actually pop into this trick and can't just scoop into it. Actually popping in gets my nose and front truck above the ledge, scoop only gets me into a shitty FS noseslide. Still working out the weight distribution, I'm too much over the truck and and looking forward enough so I can't control the grind and exit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Jurfin

« Reply #1032 on: October 07, 2020, 10:20:53 AM »
Thanks man! Will definitely check that guy out. I actually start physical therapy next week, to try to get this shit sorted out so I can keep progressing. Really hoping that will get me strong enough to keep at it. I am with you on the importance of recovery though, I probably could have fixed this a few months ago if I had taken enough of a break to actually allow it to heal. Lesson learned, kind of!

One more for you guys. I can do bs 180’s fakie, but I can’t keep the board under me for regular bs 180’s. Is it just a commitment thing? I can do fs 180’s reg and fakie, but the backside ones just aren’t happening for me. Maybe I should find a noob thread for this stuff. The title implies I can do anything more than a few basic ass tricks haha...

Expand Quote

[close]

Jesus, I'm sorry to hear about the groin, nothing like an injury to sideline your progress. I'm a huge advocate for rehab exercises with elastic bands and stuff, check out Dr Kyle Brown (https://www.instagram.com/dr.kylebrown/) for some stuff you can do from your desk or sofa. Not to sound like a nag but a proper rehab ensure you can come back stronger and less prone to injuries in the future. Take it from me, my shitty ankles and countless other dudes who rushed out to skate instead of letting their body heal up fully.

BS 180 Nosegrinds - I'm learning I need to actually pop into this trick and can't just scoop into it. Actually popping in gets my nose and front truck above the ledge, scoop only gets me into a shitty FS noseslide. Still working out the weight distribution, I'm too much over the truck and and looking forward enough so I can't control the grind and exit.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1033 on: October 07, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »
Thanks everyone. I like to visualize of both heel and kickflips are striking a match to ignition. Dragging your foot up the grip is you running the match across the surface, the flick of your toe / heel is snapping the match head to get the chemical reaction going.

Edit: I'm definitely not committing to the pop or the drag, doing a mob heelflip. I'll check my popping foot position and commit to every one.

I was wondering if there are exercises that could be used to get used to the motion of heelflips. I've been using elastic bands on my ankles to practice the flicking motion of my kickflips with great results. I wonder if there are "in-chair" exercises that you can practice at home to get the ankle familiar in kicking that way.

Re Heelflips - park got rained out so I spent some time working on heelflips. They are definitely a finesse trick as opposed to a power trick like kickflips. I feel for heelflips you have to really get that good drag on the side of your shoe / foot and kick off the pocket. I spent some time focusing on my ollie - popping low and level with the heel / lower 50% of the shoe (everything from the instep down). It did help somewhat to get the dragging motion but my timing was still off.

Strangely doing them switch I had way more success. A guy at the park told me to focus on the drag (similar to to regular) and you have to feel your foot get the strong dragging action before the flick. What really helped was having you heel on the inside of the concave, within the outer edge of your deck. That helped the flick a lot.

I'll keep blasting them, I think I can get them this weekend.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1034 on: October 07, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Re Heelflips - park got rained out so I spent some time working on heelflips. They are definitely a finesse trick as opposed to a power trick like kickflips. I feel for heelflips you have to really get that good drag on the side of your shoe / foot and kick off the pocket. I spent some time focusing on my ollie - popping low and level with the heel / lower 50% of the shoe (everything from the instep down). It did help somewhat to get the dragging motion but my timing was still off.

Strangely doing them switch I had way more success. A guy at the park told me to focus on the drag (similar to to regular) and you have to feel your foot get the strong dragging action before the flick. What really helped was having you heel on the inside of the concave, within the outer edge of your deck. That helped the flick a lot.

yeah, i find this to be true, switch for some reason even more so than regs.

@Jurfin

shoulders are imo the most important part of bs 180s. they dictate basically where your legs will go. your legs job is to keep those truck bolts under your shoulders or at least your decks axis parallel to your shoulders. learning bs pivots can help immensely as well. also, watch a few videos and rewatch bs 180s in slow mo. it's a very transparent trick compared to something like a hardflip, there are a few ways people do em, but pretty much no secrets. it could help a lot. sometimes seeing a certain skater do it can make it click for you. again, jeremy wray comes to the rescue:

https://youtu.be/HosRPMWoQ4E?t=121

quote: "try not to dip your head in or your board will end up behind you." 

notice how the bs 180 starts just like an ollie in the slow mo.

one other thing regarding posting quotes, it's better if you put the quote on top of the comment you write. makes it easier to read chronologically if several people quote each other in a row. so better to quote first and comment beneath it. ;)

Jurfin

« Reply #1035 on: October 07, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah, i find this to be true, switch for some reason even more so than regs.

@Jurfin

shoulders are imo the most important part of bs 180s. they dictate basically where your legs will go. your legs job is to keep those truck bolts under your shoulders or at least your decks axis parallel to your shoulders. learning bs pivots can help immensely as well. also, watch a few videos and rewatch bs 180s in slow mo. it's a very transparent trick compared to something like a hardflip, there are a few ways people do em, but pretty much no secrets. it could help a lot. sometimes seeing a certain skater do it can make it click for you. again, jeremy wray comes to the rescue:

https://youtu.be/HosRPMWoQ4E?t=121

quote: "try not to dip your head in or your board will end up behind you." 

notice how the bs 180 starts just like an ollie in the slow mo.

one other thing regarding posting quotes, it's better if you put the quote on top of the comment you write. makes it easier to read chronologically if several people quote each other in a row. so better to quote first and comment beneath it. ;)

Super helpful my dude, thank you! I definitely dip my head way too much, that’s exactly my issue. Also need to get more of a feel for the Ollie going straight ahead first. Much appreciated!

Now I’m gonna leave you guys alone and let my shit heal, then I’ve got some work to do. I’ll come back when my bs 180’s AND kickflips are on point  8)

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #1036 on: October 07, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Can someone explain to me how that no comply flip thing up curbs works?  I’ve wanted to learn them since seeing Mike Rusczyk do one in his art bars part.  No idea what kind of witchcraft is going on there.
[close]

You do it exactly how you would do a no-comply up or over a curb (where the tail smacks the curb) but instead of having your back foot cover the whole tail, you use your toes to apply more pressure over the toe-side pocket of the tail. Because of the extra pressure, that part of the tail will smack the curb first (it's subtle) and once you let go of the board instead of jumping with it, because of the rebound it will flip like a kickflip. Basically without the flip you want your back foot centered to eliminate the rebound, whereas with the flip you're deliberately aiming for the rebound.
I've always wanted to learn this trick, but I've never had any luck with it. One thing that's always confused me is if the trick is supposed to flip like a heelflip or kickflip? I feel like I've seen both and I've always tried it by putting pressure on the toe-side pocket of my tail, which seems to make it flip like a heelflip.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1037 on: October 08, 2020, 03:05:54 AM »
I've always wanted to learn this trick, but I've never had any luck with it. One thing that's always confused me is if the trick is supposed to flip like a heelflip or kickflip? I feel like I've seen both and I've always tried it by putting pressure on the toe-side pocket of my tail, which seems to make it flip like a heelflip.

I feel like when you do it 'right' it's supposed to flip like a kickflip (the pressure on the toe-side pocket causes a rebound) but sometimes with the exact same technique it'll randomly flip the other way, I guess if your position or motion is only so slightly different. From my experience, the lowest the curb/stair the more likely it'll be to flip like a heelflip so I'm thinking it's gotta do with the toe-side of the tail clearing the edge when the heel-side eventually doesn't. Shouldn't be very hard to learn how to control, I just never tried it on purpose because it's just the kickflip ones I want to do.

@Jurfin first off sorry to hear about your injury, which leads me to think, how much time out of your sessions would you say you're exclusively devoting to practicing specific tricks like kickflips or b/s 180's over and over and over? There's something to be said about this 'obsessive' way of going at it, which is tempting for a lot of people (you see it in beginners a lot) going by the basic logic that the more they insist on a trick the quicker they'll get it, but that logic is wrong. Practicing in 'bursts' (say, trying no more than 10 kickflips in a row at a time instead of 100 where every attempt starts looking the same after the 20th anyway) is actually more efficient for several reasons: 1/ it keeps the process fresh and exciting, 2/ I feel like it helps not registering parasite movement (wrong habits you might be tempted to develop in your posture or movement by bailing the same trick over and over the same way) and results in a clearer headspace in general (you don't slip into existential madness due to micromanaging what you might or might not be doing wrong in every detail and can actually organize meaningful, simple observations, nothing clogs your reasoning), 3/ it won't wear you out as much, repetitive movement is traumatizing for the body and will fuck you up real quick, making you more prone to fatigue-related injuries and post-session soreness (that will in turn affect the quality of your next sessions, it's a downwards spiral which can easily lead to motivation loss and practical plateauing due to overtraining), 4/ as a bonus it'll ensure that you become a well-rounded skater in a long run (the time not spent obsessing over a specific trick will be spent experimenting with more of skating).

Regarding your kickflips your problem looks quite uncommon to me, landing on just your heels with both your feet like this means that you're already managing to bring your flicking foot back over the board (like you should be doing) and then some more (which you shouldn't), you're basically overdoing the trick so to me it looks like you can kickflip and just don't want to admit it to yourself. There's nothing wrong in your technique (although keeping a straight posture and really treating it like a ollie will ensure the board never leaves its axis and stays under your feet in general) but disbelief I think, it's almost like you refuse to land on those kickflips because you reject the idea that you can do them just yet. I'm not joking either, a lot of skateboarding is mental and has directly to do with the skater's vision of their own abilities (because then they can only materialize so much), it would be interesting if the next time you go skate you went with the mindset that you can kickflip no problem. At this point it looks like it just needs to click in your head that you're already landing on the trick, so rolling away as cleanly as you would from a normal ollie is only a matter of daring to do it. Stop doing them stationary (even going slowly is better, more efficient and probably easier) and treat the trick like a ollie, just with a twist you don't need to think much about and aim for that feeling of a clean ollie landing. If the board keeps going off axis, watch your posture and shoulder alignment, and maybe experiment with more or less open stances.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: October 08, 2020, 03:27:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like when you do it 'right' it's supposed to flip like a kickflip (the pressure on the toe-side pocket causes a rebound) but sometimes with the exact same technique it'll randomly flip the other way, I guess if your position or motion is only so slightly different. From my experience, the lowest the curb/stair the more likely it'll be to flip like a heelflip so I'm thinking it's gotta do with the toe-side of the tail clearing the edge when the heel-side eventually doesn't. Shouldn't be very hard to learn how to control, I just never tried it on purpose because it's just the kickflip ones I want to do.

@Jurfin first off sorry to hear about your injury, which leads me to think, how much time out of your sessions would you say you're exclusively devoting to practicing specific tricks like kickflips or b/s 180's over and over and over? There's something to be said about this 'obsessive' way of going at it, which is tempting for a lot of people (you see it in beginners a lot) going by the basic logic that the more they insist on a trick the quicker they'll get it, but that logic is wrong. Practicing in 'bursts' (say, trying no more than 10 kickflips in a row at a time instead of 100 where every attempt starts looking the same after the 20th anyway) is actually more efficient for several reasons: 1/ it keeps the process fresh and exciting, 2/ I feel like it helps not registering parasite movement (wrong habits you might be tempted to develop in your posture or movement by bailing the same trick over and over the same way) and results in a clearer headspace in general (you don't slip into existential madness due to micromanaging what you might or might not be doing wrong in every detail and can actually organize meaningful, simple observations, nothing clogs your reasoning), 3/ it won't wear you out as much, repetitive movement is traumatizing for the body and will fuck you up real quick, making you more prone to fatigue-related injuries and post-session soreness (that will in turn affect the quality of your next sessions, it's a downwards spiral which can easily lead to motivation loss and practical plateauing due to overtraining), 4/ as a bonus it'll ensure that you become a well-rounded skater in a long run (the time not spent obsessing over a specific trick will be spent experimenting with more of skating).

Regarding your kickflips your problem looks quite uncommon to me, landing on just your heels with both your feet like this means that you're already managing to bring your flicking foot back over the board (like you should be doing) and then some more (which you shouldn't), you're basically overdoing the trick so to me it looks like you can kickflip and just don't want to admit it to yourself. There's nothing wrong in your technique (although keeping a straight posture and really treating it like a ollie will ensure the board never leaves its axis and stays under your feet in general) but disbelief I think, it's almost like you refuse to land on those kickflips because you reject the idea that you can do them just yet. I'm not joking either, a lot of skateboarding is mental and has directly to do with the skater's vision of their own abilities (because then they can only materialize so much), it would be interesting if the next time you go skate you went with the mindset that you can kickflip no problem. At this point it looks like it just needs to click in your head that you're already landing on the trick, so rolling away as cleanly as you would from a normal ollie is only a matter of daring to do it. Stop doing them stationary (even going slowly is better, more efficient and probably easier) and treat the trick like a ollie, just with a twist you don't need to think much about and aim for that feeling of a clean ollie landing. If the board keeps going off axis, watch your posture and shoulder alignment, and maybe experiment with more or less open stances.

The observation seems about right but I'm fascinated to see how the "you can do it but you not believing it" play out. My observation is more pedantic; dipping head and shoulders too much. Your drag and flick are there, but it looks like your head is far in front the toe edge of your deck. @EricLogan another Slap Pal and rad skater once said it best.

Head control your shoulders
Shoulders control your hips
Hips control your legs
Legs control your feet
Feet control your board
(or something to that effect)

Where your head goes the body will follow, similar to any sport or martial art. In Muay Thai, during clinching you try to control the opponents neck and head, that way you can control his balance and dump him on his ass.

Like @silhouette said in his 360 flip trick tip, if your head is looking and dipped too far ahead of your back foot, the board is going to spin under and away from you while you jump way ahead of your board.

Also, remember to give the kickflips a break. We fetishize the grind of working hours on a trick when it's really harmful to our psyche and (in think in your case) body. There's a lot to love within skateboarding, know when to step away and don't kill your session and body.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1039 on: October 08, 2020, 07:20:33 AM »
Almost forgot (and kind of reiterating something I was recommending for nollie/switch flips recently as it's true for all straight kickflip variations), but something that might help you stay over the board on kickflips is to block every possible axis but the one going straight through your truck hardware in consideration, as it's the only one you should be working with and around. Respect that alignment your movement and you should be fine.

Where your head goes the body will follow, similar to any sport or martial art. In Muay Thai, during clinching you try to control the opponents neck and head, that way you can control his balance and dump him on his ass.

The analogy is very valid, the trick aspect of skateboarding in general has a lot more in common with martial arts than most people would assume.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1040 on: October 10, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
not a trick per se but just consistency.

half the time I step on the board, feels ok like normal

some times get on and everything feels great

and the once in a while i step on and everything feels like complete shit like i feel like i can barely even ollie. Everything feel sloppy and I just like flail every trick and barely pop anything

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1041 on: October 10, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
Almost forgot (and kind of reiterating something I was recommending for nollie/switch flips recently as it's true for all straight kickflip variations), but something that might help you stay over the board on kickflips is to block every possible axis but the one going straight through your truck hardware in consideration, as it's the only one you should be working with and around. Respect that alignment your movement and you should be fine.

Expand Quote
[close]

The analogy is very valid, the trick aspect of skateboarding in general has a lot more in common with martial arts than most people would assume.

You mentioned a few posts ago isolating the axes that were not in use during tricks, specifically for 360 flips. That was really helpful in getting a consistent board rotation and stopped me from jumping way ahead of my board. Once i got the feeling of the scoop + tension/release down, it was just a matter of making sure my shoulders were (relatively) straight and not looking too far ahead of my scooping knee. That then allowed me to focus on my getting a good catch with my front foot and bringing my back foot along for the ride.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1042 on: October 12, 2020, 10:50:54 AM »
I'm pretty shit at both but at a guess - Fakie tres I think you need to flick your foot less off the side than a regular one. Like if your foot goes off at 10 o'clock (if you're regular) for a normal tre, it should grip the board for an extra second and go more like 12/1 o'clock. Otherwise it just starts spinning before you've had the chance to put the flick in motion

I'm the same with nollie heels, most of the time they go straight up my ass. Try shifting your weight back so it's close to where it would be if you were riding regular before popping. Also focus on making your foot go backwards rather than off the side. It's way too easy to flick your foot straight off without dragging it up the board at all which is what makes it rocket
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1043 on: October 12, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »
Fakie 360 flips seem to work best when you don't approach them as regular-360-flips-but-fakie and more as fakie 360 shoves (the casual type that just grazes the ground) with some actual pop and slight flicking action going on. The momentum is working with you there so you need less brute force than you would regular, same reason why just flinging nollie 360 flips is usually a lot easier than actually forming good switch 360 flips. Much more light-footed trick.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1044 on: October 12, 2020, 08:18:38 PM »
Fakie 360 flips seem to work best when you don't approach them as regular-360-flips-but-fakie and more as fakie 360 shoves (the casual type that just grazes the ground) with some actual pop and slight flicking action going on. The momentum is working with you there so you need less brute force than you would regular, same reason why just flinging nollie 360 flips is usually a lot easier than actually forming good switch 360 flips. Much more light-footed trick.

Damn, never thought about Fakie / Nollie 360 flips being less effortful and a light-footed trick before but you're right. In most video parts you just see guys flaffing them out, rarely with any height. My friend can nollie big spin both way consistently but can't do them for switch to save his life.

I'm loving this "secret sauce" discussion of tricks. I have a theory that guys who are naturally gifted at skateboarding suck at explaining tricks ("just pop your board, turn, flick, catch, land, roll away") because it comes so easily for them. They don't have to put as much "hard work" in - breaking the trick down, thinking about how individual parts of their body work, hours of failure and then putting it all together to execute.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #1045 on: October 12, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, never thought about Fakie / Nollie 360 flips being less effortful and a light-footed trick before but you're right. In most video parts you just see guys flaffing them out, rarely with any height. My friend can nollie big spin both way consistently but can't do them for switch to save his life.

I'm loving this "secret sauce" discussion of tricks. I have a theory that guys who are naturally gifted at skateboarding suck at explaining tricks ("just pop your board, turn, flick, catch, land, roll away") because it comes so easily for them. They don't have to put as much "hard work" in - breaking the trick down, thinking about how individual parts of their body work, hours of failure and then putting it all together to execute.

THIS! Long time lurker, first time poster. But honestly, tricks to tricks/minor tweaks that people have come across have proven invaluable to progress for me at least. Especially when I've hit a brick wall of progression. Nuts how much difference a slight weight shift or minor adjustment of foot positioning can make, even if it's a matter of styling out a trick we have but is so ugly we hide it in the basement a la Sloth.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1046 on: October 12, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »
It's so nerdy, but I almost have started a note on my iPhone.....Ill figure something out...then forget...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: October 12, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »
It's so nerdy, but I almost have started a note on my iPhone.....Ill figure something out...then forget...

I already have a notepad in my phone with all the tips for each trick jotted down. I don't ever refer to the list, but the act of having made a note of it, or savings screen caps of pros doing them right helps crystalize the tricks in my head.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

w425

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1048 on: October 13, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
Expand Quote
fakie heelflip.
[close]

Oh fucking god just stop!

The absolute ultimate assknife trick in existence! I used to have these on lock until "the incident".  I was just the right height at the time where I got stabbed a solid inch deep in the taint, and no doubt I was left bloody and violated.

Nowadays when I try them I just automatically turn backside (no pun intended).

LMAO EASIEST FLIP TRICK FOR ME

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1049 on: October 15, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »
Years ago before I learned tre flips I had fakie tre flips pretty consistent. Then regular tre flips became my favorite trick and I haven’t done a single fakie tre flip in 5 years. Nowadays I’m trying to get them back. I can scoop it perfect 360 under me but it always lands in a half flip no matter what i try it seems. I don’t know how to get the extra half of the kickflip. Angry because everyone says they’re easier fakie and regular tre flips are my one of my most consistent tricks.
Also no matter what I do nollie heel make no sense. It’s the last motion in skateboarding that makes zero sense to me. Every time I go to pop, it rockets. No matter what I do or where I put the potential energy in my foot/ankle.
Any tips would be great

Nollie heels clicked for me when i started thinking of it as a nollie, then a heel. concentrate on a really solid nollie but with the toes of your flipping foot slightly more off your deck than normal, pop hard and at the peak of the slide, just as your board starts leveling out give your heel a lil flick off the side and it should flip and slap right into your feet

youre on your own with fakie tre's though, them shits make no sense to me