Author Topic: Why do my bearings sound fucked up?  (Read 2676 times)

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
Why do my bearings sound fucked up?
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:16 AM »
I've had a set of bones six balls  but I pop the shield off of after about a week. This was about 6 months ago.

Well the board that I was using with them has been in storage for a couple weeks and I decided to take it out and set up the Swiss again.  I cleaned them with isopropyl, dried them immediately after, and then put in a drop of speed cream in each bearing.

Anyway...

I use headphones when I skate work so I didn't notice anything but I decided to skate a bit during my break and noticed this weird kind of "bumpy " sound. Can anyone tell me what this is/ how to fix it?

Here I am pushing on a hardwood floor so you can hear it.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Why do my bearings sound fucked up?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:19:21 AM »
Can't tell you what's wrong with it, but one of my friends skates reds that always end up sounding like that. Doesn't affect his skating and he says normal bearings make his board too quiet. Maybe try clean/lube it again and if it doesn't work I guess try not to think about it or get new bearings.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:42 AM »
sounds like you cranked your wheels too much, get some bearing spacers

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:02:29 AM »
sounds like you cranked your wheels too much, get some bearing spacers
I use the spacers that came with them and i always like a little slack between the wheel and axle.

I guess I'll just try to clean them again and if it doesn't fix it, I'll just retire these.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:42:30 AM »
I know it is a dumb question but have you double checked that everything has been properly squeezed in place? It has happened to me in the past, to clean a set of bearings and not place the crowns properly and on another instance the shields were not sitting correctly but you already said you have taken the shields off/of. I even had a bearing that was not pushed inside the wheel properly and as far as I can hear it was producing the same sound as your setup. Unless there are visible signs of rust chances are the bearings are fine. good luck
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
I know it is a dumb question but have you double checked that everything has been properly squeezed in place? It has happened to me in the past, to clean a set of bearings and not place the crowns properly and on another instance the shields were not sitting correctly but you already said you have taken the shields off/of. I even had a bearing that was not pushed inside the wheel properly and as far as I can hear it was producing the same sound as your setup. Unless there are visible signs of rust chances are the bearings are fine. good luck

Thanks for the tip. I'll double check it when I get home.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 06:56:10 AM »
That is the sound of a flatspot on one or more of the steel balls inside the bearing. This happened to my Swiss 6 after 4 years of use.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:09:15 AM by Firebert »

ungzilla

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »
it sounds like your bearings might be fucked up

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 07:58:59 AM »
also make sure the bearings are sitting in the wheel properly. tighten them until they are squeezed in and then back off a bit. 6 balls are usually pretty solid for a long time.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
also make sure the bearings are sitting in the wheel properly. tighten them until they are squeezed in and then back off a bit. 6 balls are usually pretty solid for a long time.

This!
...if that is not it ,check the retainers again!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
I've had a set of bones six balls  but I pop the shield off of after about a week. This was about 6 months ago.

Well the board that I was using with them has been in storage for a couple weeks and I decided to take it out and set up the Swiss again.  I cleaned them with isopropyl, dried them immediately after, and then put in a drop of speed cream in each bearing.

Anyway...

I use headphones when I skate work so I didn't notice anything but I decided to skate a bit during my break and noticed this weird kind of "bumpy " sound. Can anyone tell me what this is/ how to fix it?

Here I am pushing on a hardwood floor so you can hear it.

6 months?!  throw them the fuk out.  Get Reds young man.  That's like 10 bucks every two months.  You'll go way faster that way then buying expensive ass bearing and riding them forever. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

imad

• Rep: -167
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »
Super Reds. They're made in Switzerland just like Swiss, except just outsourced and assembled in China. They last just as long and are half the price.

fangen

• Rep: -24
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
yah damn bearings got all cushy and formed they own comfy spot in the cage/races. Now they in unfamiliar territory getting tracked backwards, under pressure they never knew existed, they gon take a lil mini before they relaxed in they new sitch.peace
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:37:30 PM by fangen »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
 Its metal on metal.  Sk8 bearings present design hasn't the capacity for the amount of side load forces skating puts bearings thru-  an unfortunate reality that is the same for the most expensive powell bearings as it is for there cheapest ones worth buying which is Reds.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:27:07 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
Its metal on metal.  Sk8 bearings present design hasn't the capacity for the amount of side load forces skating puts bearings thru-  an unfortunate reality that is the same for the most expensive powell bearings as it is for there cheapest ones worth buying which is Reds.
Have you ever skated Swiss after Reds, it’s like a day and night. Reds are crap imo, blew 2/8 in week last time I got them,never again while my Swiss always last me atleast 2years.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Have you ever skated Swiss after Reds, it’s like a day and night. Reds are crap imo, blew 2/8 in week last time I got them,never again while my Swiss always last me atleast 2years.
  I'd have to try it new swiss after new reds -that would be the most scientific way imo.  Or try year old swiss after new reds.   You might be right tho.  I did cross research once and the downhill wrong board guys generally run the reds and I'm sure those guys go thru the bearings.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:33 PM »
Popping the shields off sounds like the start of your problems.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

Agree, I bent two of my Swiss shields while cleaning them so I popped all of my shields, run like crap after that. Today I discovered that the retainer on one of them (the noisiest worst running one) is cracked, I replaced them with a set of Reds that I had at home. All is better now, I have to order some new retainers and shields for them next.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree, I bent two of my Swiss shields while cleaning them so I popped all of my shields, run like crap after that. Today I discovered that the retainer on one of them (the noisiest worst running one) is cracked, I replaced them with a set of Reds that I had at home. All is better now, I have to order some new retainers and shields for them next.

as much as Bones bearings rule,the shields are the biggest crap ever....they even worst on swiss then reds