Author Topic: Numb fingers  (Read 2372 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Numb fingers
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:57:48 AM »
Anyone get numb fingers? Mine get numb and feel cold sometimes. It's been like that for a few years now and now it's gotten really bad. One of my fingers turned completely white yesterday when I was skating and my hands got cold. It looked dead and got super numb and didn't start getting it color back for about 20 mins.

I saw one doctor and he suggested maybe carpol tunnel (sp) and I am supposed to get an EKG on monday but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this as i think it may be related to injuring my hand over and over again.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
Re: Numb fingers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 06:37:35 AM »
Anyone get numb fingers? Mine get numb and feel cold sometimes. It's been like that for a few years now and now it's gotten really bad. One of my fingers turned completely white yesterday when I was skating and my hands got cold. It looked dead and got super numb and didn't start getting it color back for about 20 mins.

I saw one doctor and he suggested maybe carpol tunnel (sp) and I am supposed to get an EKG on monday but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this as i think it may be related to injuring my hand over and over again.

Funny you say that, one of my ex girl friends had super bad circlulation in her fingers, adn they would get super cold and go white, this was when she was like 15 or something like fucking years ago, but yeah, even in summer her fingers would be like ice, she needed to massage them all the time - but that's pretty much all the doctor said, just keep them warm and keep them moving, there's nothing you can really do about it.

However, last year i broke 2 toes, like my little toe and the one beside it, now they're cold and numb all the time, i've totally had to change the shoes i liked skating to allow for the little fuckers now, they need tucked in to warm shoes - which get clammy when you skate, other wise they're cold all the time, it's fucked they're like cold, numb and some how manage to hurt constantly

Anyway, my ex with the frosty fingers, just had to keep them moving and they'd be ok, basically keep them moving and bust out some cash on some good gloves, North Face Denali ones are pretty good for a cheap price
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:09:59 AM »
However, last year i broke 2 toes, like my little toe and the one beside it, now they're cold and numb all the time, i've totally had to change the shoes i liked skating to allow for the little fuckers now, they need tucked in to warm shoes - which get clammy when you skate, other wise they're cold all the time, it's fucked they're like cold, numb and some how manage to hurt constantly

that is exactly like what is happening with my hand. the pain is driving me crazy and now I am on all the pain killers which is a pain in the ass because I program for a living.

Imagine trying to learn about data mining while you are hi on pain pills, it's a bit annoying.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:23:07 AM »
Ahh ok, i used to work with this guy who's wrist were fucked - i'm a programmer as well, he was our graphic designer, anyway, his wrist and finger were pretty fucked, after checking out shit online and him to and froing to the Doctors the sort of general idea/cure was for him to start doing weight with his wrists - nothing crazy, the guy was like 25 but had the body of an 11 year old hahaha, but he got some of those wrist strenghting things, like those things you sqeeze together, they build up the muscle and improve the circulation, so maybe it's worth give them ago, it's not like they cost much

Anyway, he said it totally worked after like a month it hurt a lot less and he wasn't realy sore all the time

So maybe try it out and see what happens
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »
our old guitarist had carpal tunnel. it was a pain in the ass because he'd be wailing on this bitching solo like "neee neeee WEEEEE wo wa wa" and i'd look over and he was grimacing, he couldn't even enjoy the shred. if i ever get to a point were i can't savor some fret destruction i'm asking my kids to suffocate me with a pillow.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:55:38 AM »
I bet people in the audience think he is REALLY getting into it

Vlade Divac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:27:48 AM »
Maybe it's because you keep repeatedly whipping your fingers back and forth like that.
"Whitley is filet mignon.  Vlade is spam."

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
its weird sometimes i'll slap my hand on something pretty lightly and the whole left side of my right hand goes numb for up to five minutes or so...
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
looks like it's carpool tunnel (sp)

apparently the two big causes of CT are tramma to the wrist and typing. Considering all I do is skate and program, I guess it's not suprising.

Figured I would post heads up for any other computer geeks out there with numb fingers.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:37:13 AM »
I get CT symptoms every once in a while... I have a little brace I use for my left hand when it acts up.
It's weird, when it flares up, I can pick up something relatively heavy like an office chair or move a monitor with no problem, but if I try to pick up a piece of paper, I feel like my wrist is broken... really sharp pains, etc.

evan_7

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:40:19 AM »

do you smoke? they say that smoking fucks with your blood circulation. 

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »
don't smoke tobacoo regularly, ocassional cigar but for the most part no. smoke the stinky stuff all the time though.

Orpheus

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »
My pinky finger on me left hand used to go numb and turn white on occasion. Eventually it stopped and haven't had it in a year now.

Anyone ever have their jaw lock up for a couple seconds when they yawn on a cold day?

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 02:41:01 PM »
Once I drank a bunch of this shitty vodka called Potters. It seriously tasted like gasoline and I was sick for 3 days after. For a few months after that a few fingers in my right hand were numb.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

Raw!!!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
  • ackrite
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 04:15:10 PM »
I get it pretty bad in the winter. The sides of my fingers and hand go white and I cant feel them at all and they take a long time to get normal again. Lately the tip of my right middle finger has been numb for a lot of the day. And my feet are almost always cold, I have to sleep with socks on all the time.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 05:23:09 AM »
Raw, you should get it checked out. The doctor I saw said that most of the time this type injury can be corrected without surgery if caught early.

My doctor told me that this problem gets worst at night when sleeping because we do weird positions with our hands while we sleep. Every doctor I saw asked me about waking up in the middle of the night with pain. If you wake up with pain then you should get a brace for your wrist to wear when you sleep. I watched how I slept last night and my hand was much better today.

frizz

• Rep: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:47:04 AM »
Lately the tip of my right middle finger has been numb for a lot of the day.
FUCK! i have that right now!!! you're freakin me out man

friction!

• Rep: 18
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
carpal tunnel is one of the most misdiagnosed ailments in modern medecine.
neck, back, arm, shoulder pains are often associated with CT when it usually has nothing to do with that.
CT surgery is a simple way for orthopedic surgeons to make a quick buck because you cant really die from a simple snip of your wrist and it takes them seconds to do.
its total bullshit half the time.
my pops had it done to him and hes actually in worse shape than before. theyre still wringing the money out of him with "follow up visits"
talk to a chriopractor, massage therapist or accupuncturist about the problems youre having.
unlike a consultation with a doctor, the discussion of your symptoms wont usually cost you an arm and a leg like they do with when dealing with...a doctor.
just a suggestion.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »
At school, when I try opening my chip packets, My fingers get tensed and are paralyzed in the thumb - index position for 30 minutes at a time. Does anyone have this same problem?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 04:03:45 AM »
neck, back, arm, shoulder pains are often associated with CT when it usually has nothing to do with that.
CT surgery is a simple way for orthopedic surgeons to make a quick buck because you cant really die from a simple snip of your wrist and it takes them seconds to do.
my pops had it done to him and hes actually in worse shape than before. theyre still wringing the money out of him with "follow up visits"
talk to a chriopractor, massage therapist or accupuncturist about the problems youre having.
unlike a consultation with a doctor, the discussion of your symptoms wont usually cost you an arm and a leg like they do with when dealing with...a doctor.
just a suggestion.

Thanks for the heads up but I haven't paid a dime yet and they are billing me for the copay which will probably be 10-25 bucks, so not raping me yet but maybe putting it to the insurance company.

As far as the diagnosis goes, I went to an orthapedic (sp) who thought it was carpal after looking at the ex-rays and ruling out fractures and arthritis (sp). A big warning flag for him was the "wake up with pain" thing.

Then I went to a nerve doctor for an emg (I think) where they hooked up electodes to my finger tips and then sent electicity to my finger tips through my arm and wirst at varying intensities and distances. Then he did this thing that was kind of like acupuncture with a needle that had a mic on the end of it. They can tell how well your nerves are conducting by the first test and I am not sure what they determined with the second but it seemed pretty hard core.

Anyway, it felt like these guys knew what they were doing and it was 2 seperate doctors who both agreed and both thought that the "wake up in pain" was significant. They also said that I don't need the surgery because it's not a bad case. I will most likey do some treatments that involve shots in the wrist and therapy.

At this point I got to do something. I can't work well spaced out on pain pills. There are too many silly people and processes at my work and I will end up mouthing off if I am up their hi on pills.

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »

This guy is right about the surgery, unless you have an obvious source of repetitive motion injury like typing or drilling all day then you don't have CTS. But he's wrong about acupuncturists and chiropractors, they'll string you along forever.

Check out websites on Raynaud's Syndrome, here's a random one I found on Google, but I am sure there are better ones:
http://www.dentalplans.com/articles/The%20Cold%20Facts%20About%20Seriously/
Sounds like that guy's girlfriend has it.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

urujuay

• Rep: 13
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
Whats the big deal with roors? If you have to ask, you'll never know...

friction!

• Rep: 18
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 09:47:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This guy is right about the surgery, unless you have an obvious source of repetitive motion injury like typing or drilling all day then you don't have CTS. But he's wrong about acupuncturists and chiropractors, they'll string you along forever.

Check out websites on Raynaud's Syndrome, here's a random one I found on Google, but I am sure there are better ones:
http://www.dentalplans.com/articles/The%20Cold%20Facts%20About%20Seriously/
Sounds like that guy's girlfriend has it.

whats your experience with that?
the stringing along that is.
just out of curiosity.