Author Topic: A vulc that doesn't squeeze my toes  (Read 1593 times)

cricketclub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
A vulc that doesn't squeeze my toes
« on: May 23, 2019, 07:06:40 AM »
Last night I was flowing around our park and it got me thinking that it might be fun to have a backup pair of skate shoes that are vulc just for cruising around (definitely contemplating a big board setup for that too). My standard setup is dunk lows with an 8" board. To me that is perfection except if I'm just trying to fly around the park.

The only thing keeping me from buying a vulc is that it seems all the models have a low toe box (height).

I busted my big toenail in 2015 and ever since I've had to stick with shoes that don't cramp the tops of my toes. Right now I'm chilling in some Jordan IV's and it is perfect because there is literally no contact between the top of the shoe and the top of my toes, even though length-wise they fit perfectly. My dunks are the same way and skate great.

Are there any vulcs with such a toe box or does the vulcanized construction process make such a shoe impossible to create?

I also can't skate a shoe unless it has a padded ankle collar and tongue. Nothing crazy is necessary but if they are paper thin then it's a no go from me for sure.

There is also the issue of vulc sizing and vulcs getting floppy.

I actually just remembered about the Nike SB Delta Force vulc model. Anyone skate those? I hate the way the toe box has no perforations. It's also telling I've only ever seen them at outlets or Marshall's.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:09:27 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: A vulc that doesn't squeeze my toes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:12:28 AM »
most toe room in a vulc? i cant stand having my toes feeling squished either, id say these vulcs have the most toe clearance:

classic half cab
NB #379
Blazer high

otherwise, sometimes with vulcs I'll use a shoe-stretcher thingy to give the toe area more room
(i.e. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unisex-2-way-Wooden-Shoe-Stretcher-For-Men-Women-4-UNIT/947590392)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:15:59 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
Not per se Vulc but Vans Kyle Walker.

element4life

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »
i liked the vans 112 but they look kinda weird from the top down and might be a bit thin for what you are used to
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:21:00 AM by element4life »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:25:37 AM »
Blazers
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »

I could give these a try. It does looks taller than a lot of vulc toe boxes. I was hoping to find something with a stitched, dunk-like toe box since that type of construction pitches a tent above the toes and cuts down on contact.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:30:54 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »
Not per se Vulc but Vans Kyle Walker.

100% nope. Kwalks are not for him, I know for experience due to a fucked up toe (bicycle crash) and having ridden them (for all of a week before I ditched them).

OP, Lakai Riley IIs, Vans 112, Vans Pro Mids, DC Evan Smiths, Vans Skate Hi/Half cabs plenty of vertical toe room (Evan Smiths are dreamy).

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »

Obviously this comparison will be nothing compared to actually trying them on foot but the Blazer does appear to have a decent toe box. I laid it on top of the dunk to compare them in photoshop.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »
I'm just looking for a chill girl and a vulc that doesn't squeeze my toes.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
I'm just looking for a chill vulc shoe and a girl that doesn't squeezes my toes.

fixed
good come sausage

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 12:54:09 PM »
evans might work.. they got a big toe box and you can get the HI version with collar padding
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
evans might work.. they got a big toe box and you can get the HI version with collar padding

I'm not sure which shoe you are referring to. DC Evan Smith?

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yea those ones. i have a pair and the toe box is way too big for my narrow foot.. but might work for you. they seem to be a pretty popular shoe so shouldnt be too hard to find a pair to try on.

the vulc is super comfy too. the reverse cone things make the sole feel super foamy.. but on the downside you will be picking rocks out of them
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:11:24 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes:

https://www.dcshoes.com/evan-smith/

I put a couple of pairs of mids on ice before they launched the 'zero', i.e. stripped down version.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes:

https://www.dcshoes.com/evan-smith/

I put a couple of pairs of mids on ice before they launched the 'zero', i.e. stripped down version.

Thanks for the clarification. I see the originals now. At first I kept seeing the "zero" models which, while they might work for someone, would be way too thin for me in the ankle and tongue.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 06:01:00 PM »
I just got some Straye Stanleys ($18, figured it was worth a shot) and can say they're pretty damn roomy. I'm right at EE width and most normie shoes pinch the fuck out of my toes/whatever the fuck the widest part of your foot is called. But the Strayes are damn cozy for vulc.