Author Topic: Rising Hopefuls Who Never Made It  (Read 10217 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Rising Hopefuls Who Never Made It
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
Pretty sure Hastie blew his knee out good.....

Trep.....

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 10:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Ted De Gros
Sean Young
Mike Hastie - ghosted after Battlion
Abdias Riviera
Nick Fiorini
Sid Melvin - how the fuck?
Luke Croker
Eric Fletcher
Jimmy Cao (???)
Anthony Williams - what happened?
[close]

got in trouble from dwindle/darkstar when he cussed on west49 in a canadian skate mag and the owner of west called dwindle and said they would drop all dwindle products if something didnt happen.

Whatttt the fuck!? That's brutal.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 10:23:15 PM »
Another list-random-names topic that inevitably devolves into discussing the same people, regardless of the theme. It happens a few times a fiscal quarter.

Without reading this thread, I guarantee someone has said Luke Croker (edit: I just checked... two mentions!).

Let's all just go back to the 'Where Are They Now?' topic dudes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:25:50 PM by happenstance »

miff

• Rep: -7
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:12 PM »
Thought Dyson Ramones was going to be pretty big...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:00 AM »
Gary robinson, really?    For sure Nick Mclouth.  Fucking love that dude.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 06:42:20 AM »
For sure Nick Mclouth.  Fucking love that dude.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:35 AM »
i wanted to start the thread about names that arent mentioned and were prepped by sponsors to become the next big thing. there were sick skaters like massimo cavedoni but his trajectory wasnt same like tony tave being jokingly called "poor man's koston" or dyson ramones being picked up by stereo/duffs/? and appearing in every issue for a small window of time.

devine calloway was (city stars), then disappeared, then reappeared (that transworld video), then disappeared, then reappeared (primative).

justin schulte is umm, on element and mountain dew just sort of being so cal and being in lifestyle images for mtn dew photo shoots. hes cooperative so he gets paid. trevor colden was the worst. we all know its corny and you signed up for it so just show up, doesnt even have to be on time. tiago is the best. i only know that shit cause i worked for the agency in charge of that shit and i edited the photos that go on carboard cut outs, generic instagram posts, and shit like that.

fuuuuck the north video with ted degros was heavy. then he went to santa cruz after alien, right? was it his attitude? that cab nollie heel tripped me out as a kid.

abdias riveria, so there was this wallride photo on slap maybe a year ago. was that shit real?

damien bravo doesnt really apply to this list but i thought it strange that his name is printed on the Since Day One box but he doesnt appear in it.

i always thought kids who were on baker or flips were always going to be a big deal when i was a kid, but hmm.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:45 AM »
I saw Ted De Gross and Sid Melvin already but yeah, wanted to see more from them. Eric Bork went on to become some christian minster now turned youtuber which sucks cause he had serious potential (see his Santa Cruz Uprising part), Bryan London was a big one for me, he was so ahead of his time. He was switch flip front nosesliding handrails in like 2000.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 07:58:59 AM »

Jacob Gary

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »
Pretty sure Hastie blew his knee out good.....

Trep.....

Trep smoked too much weed to make it.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Moose
[close]

currently Pro for Mystery
Yea that's not making it

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
Gary robinson, really?    For sure Nick Mclouth.  Fucking love that dude.
   I looked up gary robinson and realized I thought he was a different pro who i thought sucked

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 02:24:08 PM »
Massimo Cavedoni, Devine Calloway, Tony Tave, Nick Trapasso,  and the list goes. Even though I know where most of these dudes are now,they all had their shine
Tave and Trapasso absolutely made it, especially Trapasso, he has at least one legendary part and 2 other really good ones.

It's also hard to compare guys who were huge but then really fell off like Antwan and Trainwreck.

I feel this screams of guys who got on big companies and never went pro. Ben Sanchez and Shamil Randle are the first two guys that come to mind.

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Anthony Mosley and Jeremiah Vance. Both of those guys were going to be “the next big thing” and then disappeared. I remember thinking Jason Jones was going to be a big name pro one day.

im probably lying

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Anthony Mosley and Jeremiah Vance. Both of those guys were going to be “the next big thing” and then disappeared. I remember thinking Jason Jones was going to be a big name pro one day.

Jeremiah Vance was okay but for that era, he wasn't going big enough on rails and his fliptrick game was weak compared to people like Evan Hernandez, Paul Rodriguez, and even Mikey Taylor.

Scott Kane's footage in his Logic part probably destroys everything Vance ever did, but I think it shows a pretty clear picture of how he probably wasn't going to be able to keep up:

"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
That girl that backed the Yezzur gofundme...she seemed hopeful but I never hear about her anymore.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Jason Jones fucked up by showing up pros at spots they got enders at. Didnt he boardslide that giant blue rail Heath was trying at the end of Sight Unseen? Uci rail,right?
Expand Quote
Massimo Cavedoni, Devine Calloway, Tony Tave, Nick Trapasso,  and the list goes. Even though I know where most of these dudes are now,they all had their shine
[close]
Tave and Trapasso absolutely made it, especially Trapasso, he has at least one legendary part and 2 other really good ones.

It's also hard to compare guys who were huge but then really fell off like Antwan and Trainwreck.

I feel this screams of guys who got on big companies and never went pro. Ben Sanchez and Shamil Randle are the first two guys that come to mind.
Tave fucked up by going to LE and Trapasso fucked up by starting LE and trying to get Toy riders on. Although I get your point,to me these dudes were at their peak or about to hit it,and just went down.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 04:34:49 PM »

True story I saw on instagram and didn't think it would have been taken down but anthony Mosley owes derrick Wilson $80, andderrick is not happy he's been ducking non do he called him out. Wish I would have screen grabbed it. Too funny.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • rawr
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Jason Jones fucked up by showing up pros at spots they got enders at. Didnt he boardslide that giant blue rail Heath was trying at the end of Sight Unseen? Uci rail,right?
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Tave fucked up by going to LE and Trapasso fucked up by starting LE and trying to get Toy riders on. Although I get your point,to me these dudes were at their peak or about to hit it,and just went down.
Yeah, he boardslid it. Apparently Heath called him after he saw the footage? I know there was also a Heath quote about “some adio kid in a yellow shirt” showing him up. He could’ve been talking about Carlos Ruiz, but Jason Jones definitely fit that description.

im probably lying

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • rawr
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 04:53:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

True story I saw on instagram and didn't think it would have been taken down but anthony Mosley owes derrick Wilson $80, andderrick is not happy he's been ducking non do he called him out. Wish I would have screen grabbed it. Too funny.
That sounds incredible, the “richest skateboarder” or whatever owes Derrick Wilson 80 bucks, I love it

Edit: sorry for double posting, it was unintentional, my bad fam

im probably lying

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
For the idiots like me who just started paying attention, and it's not readily available on here (aka i dont know how to search for the topics),

What happened to Alex "Trainwreck" Gall? Links? Screen grabs? Is he on insta? Any chance of a lead? Just the fax maam.

He became a train conductor and crashed and everybody died... It was all over the news buddy...

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »
scott kane.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 03:08:52 AM »
Gailea Momolu.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 04:01:31 AM »
Rob/Bert Wootton
Dyson Ramones - I know mentioned earlier in thread, I really liked this dudes skating.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 04:09:00 AM »
For the idiots like me who just started paying attention, and it's not readily available on here (aka i dont know how to search for the topics),

What happened to Alex "Trainwreck" Gall? Links? Screen grabs? Is he on insta? Any chance of a lead? Just the fax maam.

https://www.instagram.com/axlhoss/

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 04:48:33 AM »
Good looking on that TWreck lead, I totally thought he killed all those people in that accident

Also...but less known..
They mentioned this dude on the 9 Club and he definitely missed the boat, this is from 2005!

He has really good lines and there ain't 1 non bolt trick when that really was just starting to be your favorite skater's standard, i'm assuming, of course.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Rob/Bert Wootton
Dyson Ramones - I know mentioned earlier in thread, I really liked this dudes skating.

Damn, that's a good one! I know he's still cruising around getting some footage, but it seemed like he'd be a bigger thing by now. Didn't he have some sort of falling out with the WKND dudes? That might have hurt him in some way. Always liked his skating.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
Mike Barker, Sean Eaton
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That sounds incredible, the “richest skateboarder” or whatever owes Derrick Wilson 80 bucks, I love it

Edit: sorry for double posting, it was unintentional, my bad fam

Most of those assumptions of his wealth come from the fact that his mom is Jemeker Thompson, don't they?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
If de gros and stenger came out 3 years earlier they woulda have caught on but the tide had changed on that type of skating and the thing at that time was starting to be more image-y  than to be technically amazing (prolly same with cale nuske)   anyway just a theory.