Author Topic: Hockey III  (Read 24522 times)

Robert Baratheon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
Re: Hockey III
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2017, 06:23:56 AM »
Please explain Andrew Allen's appeal. Thank you.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:27 AM »

I don't really get it either. Sometimes he skates at an interesting angle and occasionally has an interesting trick selection, but usually it's pretty underwhelming shuv-its and boardslides.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching him skate, but the level of praise he gets on slap makes me feel like I'm missing something.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't really get it either. Sometimes he skates at an interesting angle and occasionally has an interesting trick selection, but usually it's pretty underwhelming shuv-its and boardslides.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching him skate, but the level of praise he gets on slap makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I feel the same. He's good, and I enjoy his footage thoroughly. However, it's almost like some slap heads are the cult following behind an decent film.

Caleb really grew into his skating. He used to skate with Dashawn Jordan here in AZ, so it's crazy to see where he ended up. That pop shuv was a thing of beauty and I liked how he hugged the curb afterwards.

Donovan is pretty forgettable at this point for me. Kickflip bonk was nice. Wish there was more John and Kadow footy. That's my favorite part bout hockey.

I wonder if they ever get distracted filming a trick because they are focusing on making a serious face rolling up to a trick (ben/swan)

shit_for_brains

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
Do you want me to explain why ice cream tastes good? If you don't like AA that's your problem to come to terms with, not mine to solve for you. Some of us are higher beings I guess.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I too have no idea what it is about that guy that Slap has a boner for. Maybe there's a lot of big bodied Pals looking for a hero?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »
I think if anyone has to explain something, it's the person criticizing AA.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
I like that Ben K seems to wear jeans with reinforced knees like a 5 year old. No scuffs or scrapes for that guy!

I enjoyed the video, well, the parts with skateboarding at least.

P.S. AA is great and yes, Portly Pals need a hero too.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
I think if anyone has to explain something, it's the person criticizing AA.

Expand Quote
[close]

It also felt like he just kinda barely one upped himself in minor ways at that LA brick bank spot. Also caveman nosegrinds are dumb and doing it switch doesn't make it cooler.

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

He is a role model/positive body image advocate for all us curvy men out there!

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
AA has always been the best. That 411 part, the Prevent this tragedy stuff, everything. Liked the video a lot. Can't buy the boards though, simply because they hate the WKND guys (except Johan). I'll just keep buying WKND boards and liking the Hockey videos.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He charges spots, and somekind of a hipster Fred Gall. As far as tricks, these guys have a style guideline. It's a little low but it's definitely a good thing nowadays.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
AA is a slow burn... you may not like his skating now... but when it finally clicks, stand back, you'll catch feelings you never knew you were capable of having.

hardly art, hardly starving

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel the same. He's good, and I enjoy his footage thoroughly. However, it's almost like some slap heads are the cult following behind an decent film.

Caleb really grew into his skating. He used to skate with Dashawn Jordan here in AZ, so it's crazy to see where he ended up. That pop shuv was a thing of beauty and I liked how he hugged the curb afterwards.

Donovan is pretty forgettable at this point for me. Kickflip bonk was nice. Wish there was more John and Kadow footy. That's my favorite part bout hockey.

I wonder if they ever get distracted filming a trick because they are focusing on making a serious face rolling up to a trick (ben/swan)
donovan is forgettable but you want more ben? fucking morons on here

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
donovan is forgettable but you want more ben? fucking morons on here
Donovan>Ben K. I like Andrew and his skating a lot,as a stocky skater you gravitate towards others like you naturally. He does have his go to tricks though,but a lot of dudes do. I've been a fan since that 411 part and its just grown from there as time progressed on.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
 Andrew Allen is good cause 95% of skate clips are forgettable right now.      He's standing waayy out thats a truth.  Why is it good?  You're forgetting that its subjective/not the xgames.  Maybe he isn't good, I don't know but I 've truly been loving his footage, (didn't like him at the start of his career for a bit so there ya go)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Grind King Rims

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Just rewatched this. I liked it a lot more the second time, including AA who was a clear standout. The sicario song and the punk song were great, it's just weird that so much of the second half doesn't have any music. It feels twice as long, and not in a good way.

Also, the attached image flashed on the screen at 8:51 right after a list of the team names. Reckon that's kevin rodriguez?

Right after that there's no music until the slow motion outro. Kind of seems like they made the first half and then the tour video, and then just put them together, no? Not saying that's a bad thing either, just that it appears that way.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
Just rewatched this. I liked it a lot more the second time, including AA who was a clear standout. The sicario song and the punk song were great, it's just weird that so much of the second half doesn't have any music. It feels twice as long, and not in a good way.

Also, the attached image flashed on the screen at 8:51 right after a list of the team names. Reckon that's kevin rodriguez?

Right after that there's no music until the slow motion outro. Kind of seems like they made the first half and then the tour video, and then just put them together, no? Not saying that's a bad thing either, just that it appears that way.

Holy shit Sherlock! I never would have noticed that!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »

stop asking us to do emotional labor for you
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
My one suggestion is watch Andrew Allen's Propeller part, It's what won me over
(Cool Trick GIF)

zeep zander

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it won't let me post the screen shot off my phone but yeah that's him alright

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it won't let me post the screen shot off my phone but yeah that's him alright

I don't know, aside from him wearing Hockey clothes, and having his sponsor listed as Hockey, and now this brief appearance in a Hockey video, I'm still not totally convinced he's on Hockey.

waffle

• Rep: 123
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »
I never understood the appeal for John, but his transition skating is growing on me. Bs grind revert and fs salad were top notch.

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2017, 12:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly this

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2017, 12:43:04 AM »
AA is at times doing very tech tricks, but when he does it's in a way, where I'm rooting for him to land it - not expecting it - it's a bit like Ellington, but AA doesn't really have that sketchy element to him that Ellington almost has perfectioned (for the record I really like Ellington!)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Exactly this

And this is just as important!

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2017, 07:32:41 AM »
Someone explain to me the relationship/difference between FA and Hockey. I’m out the loop I don’t get it.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
Someone explain to me the relationship/difference between FA and Hockey. I’m out the loop I don’t get it.

Girl/Chocolate
AWS/Habitat
Revive/Mocha
Baker/Deathwish
FA/Hockey
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
The pop shove it Caleb did over the hydrant was amazing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

pistachio

• Rep: -4
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i havent watched it but im sure its a ok video
[close]

Excuse my ignorance and completely unrelated question, but who is that in your sig and what is it from? Gilbert?
[close]
gilbert crockett cellout @1:10 into the part,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWw00imhlpg

Thank you very much for that.

Little Debbie

« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
My one suggestion is watch Andrew Allen's Propeller part, It's what won me over
his raw clips from that were so good, that's what sealed it for me. AA has shown he has a nice kickflip and will take it to some very interesting places

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
Here it is, this is why we like AA, everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ8kumHKij0