Author Topic: BoilTheOcean  (Read 8887 times)

ImportantGuy

BoilTheOcean
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
https://boiltheocean.wordpress.com

I get lost on this site. Dude is an amazing writer and seems to know so much about skating it's ridiculous.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -92
Re: BoilTheOcean
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
I can't remember who wrote 'the best way to write about skateboarding is not to write about skateboarding' but that blog is a prime example. I think I've read almost every post.

I wonder who he is/what his occupation must be. He is too good at writing to not be getting paid for it, whether in or outside of the skateboarding industry.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:16:08 AM »
agreed
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ImportantGuy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:58:17 AM »
I feel like whoever this dude is, he is at LEAST lurking this forum. Speak up genius!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:46:53 AM by ImportantGuy »

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
Didn't someone say on here  it might be Ocean Howell behind it? When reading it, that's how I like to picture it in my head.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:44:50 AM by yapple dapple »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
BoilTheOceanHowell

Too easy!

One of the best skate-related blogs by far. I like to check it periodically so that it feels like I have more to read, it's like purposely missing 3 episodes of a TV show so you can binge them later.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
Didn't someone say on here  it might be Ocean Howell behind it? When reading it, that's how I like to picture it in my head.

I heard it was Bod Boyle...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
I think it's Seb Carayol ? the man behind the FTC book as well as a few other, older blogs (I think he had one called A Visual Sound but maybe I'm confusing both) and a bunch of publications in general.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »
Reading that site has made me appreciate skateboarding more; his writing is revelatory, turning out aspects I never considered. Many thanks to that dude.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

ImportantGuy

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »
I like how we still don't know! Keep the guesses coming. Judging from the language, Kalis??

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »
It's not Josh Stewart?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 02:10:31 AM »
here's the Visual Sound blog I was referencing earlier, for some reason I was dead certain it was the same writer for the longest time (and part of me still is, but this thread is insufflating doubt) : https://avisualsound.wordpress.com/

whether it's the same author or not, it's got some prime stuff too, although it's older and the writing isn't as sophisticated (which I think is some sort of elaborate joke or at least some kind of exercise, as far as Boil The Ocean is concerned).

ImportantGuy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:18 AM »
The plot thickens.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »
i coulda sworn there was a Slap Pal that delved deep into trying to find BTO's identity a few years ago using IP addresses and a friend that worked for Wordpress and ended up matching up some of the prose to a thesis written by some teaching assistant who was a doctorate candidate in lymnology.  i've been using the search function to look it up, but interestingly enough, all the posts appear to have been deleted.  I think his early academic work was based on how some lakes were actually cooking the marine life... and there was some pic of his research station with a waterlogged Joey Pepper Aesthetics board in the corner. 

I also remember a rumor where he was one of the guys pictured on that Skartorialist site... which is why he mentioned the site way back in one of his posts.

hardly art, hardly starving

ImportantGuy

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
http://urbanpolicy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Howell_2001_Poetics-of-Security_NoPix.pdf

This looks VERY interesting. By Ocean Howell who may or may not be BTO. Will read later.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
i coulda sworn there was a Slap Pal that delved deep into trying to find BTO's identity a few years ago using IP addresses and a friend that worked for Wordpress and ended up matching up some of the prose to a thesis written by some teaching assistant who was a doctorate candidate in lymnology.  i've been using the search function to look it up, but interestingly enough, all the posts appear to have been deleted.  I think his early academic work was based on how some lakes were actually cooking the marine life... and there was some pic of his research station with a waterlogged Joey Pepper Aesthetics board in the corner. 

This is hilarious, but also  ::)
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oh, i get it, :-X
hardly art, hardly starving

ImportantGuy

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:34 AM »
Obviously this guy knows his work is appreciated within the community. Perhaps he wouldn't be "allowed" to say some the things on his blog if people knew who he is.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »
This is a good reminder i need to catch up on BTO. Dude is a genius and leaves me laughing out loud sometimes

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
here's the Visual Sound blog I was referencing earlier, for some reason I was dead certain it was the same writer for the longest time (and part of me still is, but this thread is insufflating doubt) : https://avisualsound.wordpress.com/

whether it's the same author or not, it's got some prime stuff too, although it's older and the writing isn't as sophisticated (which I think is some sort of elaborate joke or at least some kind of exercise, as far as Boil The Ocean is concerned).

No offense to Seb, but BTO is obviously a native English speaker. Also it's not Ocean. I've talked to him and he seems genuinely disinterested in the minutiae of skate media.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

oh, i get it, :-X
No, this was great to read. So much detail on such a niche thing. I found it hilarious too

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No offense to Seb, but BTO is obviously a native English speaker. Also it's not Ocean. I've talked to him and he seems genuinely disinterested in the minutiae of skate media.

yes, I recently realized I had BTO and the blog Seb runs mixed up. I always seem to forget which one it is that Seb runs though - I used to know, but besides chromeball I haven't been on blogs in a minute and I regularly get them confused now. maybe frozenincarbonite ?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:21:47 PM by silhouette »

SOTY

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »
This dude has Mike Arnold at #7 for part of the year, he must be trippin'. In all realness no one comes close to this guy's writing in the sk8 world.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »
Did some digging and found the following:

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
I basically check BTO every morning hoping for a new post. They have definitely gotten more sophisticated in the past couple of years. Sometimes I can't even really decipher what is being said.

The featured image that tops each post is a work of genius in itself.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Greened

• Rep: -1
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »
Maybe too young but could Aron Lawrence from RadRat be BoilTheOcean. He strikes me as a different personality style... but he is quite knowledgeable and articulate as well.

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 04:59:48 PM »
Waiting to watch everyone's reactions when it's revealed that the author is Andy Roy.

raji

• Rep: 8
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 12:14:23 AM »
If i were putting money on it id say its FeedbackTed surely

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 448
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 06:52:32 PM »
Just wanted to bump this up as Boil the Ocean has started their annual top ten video parts thing today. Nearly every post is genius (when I can understand it), but the yearly review (and the summer jams) are my favorites.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2020, 07:49:45 PM »
I checked yesterday, and earlier today and it wasn't up. Was wondering if he stopped doing them this year, as I truly enjoy and look forward to this top 10 countdown he does yearly. Its usually a great mix of slept on independent parts, big production parts from major videos, etc.