Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533638 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3540 on: July 09, 2021, 06:15:14 AM »
FYI - the new Heroin drop is coming out next Wednesday.  There will be a 10" egg and Mutant

This has been my favorite setup in years.  Can't wait to get another and try the egg

Hot damn, that’s a straight up gorgeous set up. I’d build the exact same one, just swapped out for aces.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3541 on: July 09, 2021, 06:22:25 AM »
FYI - the new Heroin drop is coming out next Wednesday.  There will be a 10" egg and Mutant

Definitely getting the 10" egg and want to try their 9.25" popsicle, too. Wondering how heavy it will be compared to the HLC 9" popsicles using epoxy.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #3542 on: July 09, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »
AW Thomas Morgan reissue slick.
To excited to set it up- loved the original when it came out. I think I had like 3

rest

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3543 on: July 09, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »
So bummed I missed getting one of those Morgan decks.

roanrox

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3544 on: July 10, 2021, 07:32:10 AM »
Hey y’all I’m here to ask for some advice.
I’ve been skating 8.5x32x14.5 decks on 159 (8.75) Indys and F4 conical fulls for a while but something doesn’t feel right anymore.
Thing is I’m considering going up to a 9 inch wide (not sure which model yet) and so I’d like to ask what’s the pros and cons of going up to a 9? (Keeping the rest of my setup the same)

Note: I’m 6 tall, size 10us, 180lb.  I ride miniramps and small bowls 90% of the time and love transition but will eventually do a few simple grinds on small ledges and like 5 flip flatground tricks haha.
Also would you recommend a deck shape or brand? I like AH and Baker decks.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #3545 on: July 10, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »
I’ve been skating 8.5x32x14.5 decks on 159 (8.75) Indys and F4 conical fulls for a while but something doesn’t feel right anymore.
Thing is I’m considering going up to a 9 inch wide (not sure which model yet) and so I’d like to ask what’s the pros and cons of going up to a 9? (Keeping the rest of my setup the same)

Note: I’m 6 tall, size 10us, 180lb.  I ride miniramps and small bowls 90% of the time and love transition but will eventually do a few simple grinds on small ledges and like 5 flip flatground tricks haha.

Best bet for you is going to be an egg. They transition you into the wonderful world of big shaped boards. They skate like a wider popsicle, more stable in transition, and they are a lot more forgiving because of the extra real estate. Plus they are just super fun.

Here’s what I would recommend as far as eggs/footballs go:

Anti Hero:
Cardiel huffer shape - 9.18” x 32.62” / 14.81” WB
Gerwer Egg - 9.1” x 32” / 14.5” WB

Black Label:
Reuter - 9” x 32.8” / 14.5” WB

Crail:
Phawt - 9.12” x 32.625” / 14.75” WB (basically a huffer Craig made for CK)

Primitive:
Villani - 9.125” x 32.187” / 14.43” WB

Heroin:
Dead Dave’s Mutant Egg - 9.4” x 31.625” / 14.4” WB
Symmetrical Egg - 9” x 31.75” / 14.375” WB
Standard Egg - 9.125” x 32.187” / 14.43” WB

The villani egg is the exact same as the heroin egg. When villani got on he wanted the exact egg shape and fos hooked it up for him. Best dude.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #3546 on: July 10, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »

If you’re not doing a lot of flip tricks, there is no real downside to going bigger, except that once you go bigger, it’s hard to go small again.

Oh, and depending on what kind of grinds you do, if you move up to a larger truck (you don’t need to, you can keep 159s on a 9er), the lock-in will be a bit different, and you’ll have more play on the hangar.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

roanrox

« Reply #3547 on: July 10, 2021, 09:17:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Best bet for you is going to be an egg. They transition you into the wonderful world of big shaped boards. They skate like a wider popsicle, more stable in transition, and they are a lot more forgiving because of the extra real estate. Plus they are just super fun.

Anti Hero:

Black Label:

Crail:

Primitive:

Heroin:

The villani egg is the exact same as the heroin egg. When villani got on he wanted the exact egg shape and fos hooked it up for him. Best dude.

Niiiice! Thanks.

Expand Quote

[close]

If you’re not doing a lot of flip tricks, there is no real downside to going bigger, except that once you go bigger, it’s hard to go small again.

Oh, and depending on what kind of grinds you do, if you move up to a larger truck (you don’t need to, you can keep 159s on a 9er), the lock-in will be a bit different, and you’ll have more play on the hangar.

Yeah tried a bigger truck before (169) felt like dancing on copings. 159 feels on point tho.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3548 on: July 10, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Anti Hero:

Black Label:

Crail:

Primitive:

Heroin:

Dope list! I’d add the Crailtap G048 shape at 9.25", have been posting about it here recently including photos. Super fun. Also both the Jart/HLC and Heroin 9" popsicles are worth mentioning, would fit the bill nicely if eggs seem to adventurous.

roanrox

« Reply #3549 on: July 10, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »
How would length affect the ride?
I mean regular popsicles 9 wide are around 33 long / 15wb.
Whereas a shaped can be only 31.5 long keeping the same 15wb and width. (I know those will have less nose). So curious to try one…
 I feel like long decks are harder to kickturn, slash, shuv, tre-flip and other rotation tricks.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3550 on: July 10, 2021, 11:57:47 AM »
How would length affect the ride?
I mean regular popsicles 9 wide are around 33 long / 15wb.
Whereas a shaped can be only 31.5 long keeping the same 15wb and width. (I know those will have less nose). So curious to try one…
 I feel like long decks are harder to kickturn, slash, shuv, tre-flip and other rotation tricks.

Short WB is what makes the eggs so much fun. Most of the 9"+ popsicles are pretty much useless for anything but transition because they are too long (Creature, AH), at least for me personally. HLC and Heroin popsicles are around 14.25" WB which makes them much more versatile.

animalflesh

« Reply #3551 on: July 10, 2021, 01:50:33 PM »
I’m riding a 9 heroin razortop popsicle right now and it’s super maneuverable

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #3552 on: July 10, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »

This has been my favorite setup in years.  Can't wait to get another and try the egg

So much yes.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3553 on: July 11, 2021, 03:46:28 AM »
Does 8.8 cut it boys?
(My other board is 9.25 Chico Krooked)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRLTr5WlzAa/?utm_medium=copy_link

Passport 8.8
Jessup
Shortys 1”
Ace Classic 44s
Bones six balls
Loophole 56 v-cut (Aka the best wheels I’ve ever ridden)
Diamond 1/8” risers
eS Accel plus
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:27:54 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3554 on: July 11, 2021, 05:45:23 AM »
Does 8.8 cut it boys?
(My other board is 9.25 Chico Krooked)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRLTr5WlzAa/?utm_medium=copy_link

Passport 8.8
Jessup
Shortys 1”
Ace Classic 44s
Bones six balls
Loophole 56 v-cut (Aka the best wheels I’ve ever ridden)
Diamond 1/8” risers
eS Accel plus
top down view? How’s the shape

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3555 on: July 11, 2021, 06:32:31 AM »
@jay_nev quite similar to the polar shin surf model actually; tail is bit more rounded and might be a tad thicker over the front trucks, will try and snap a pic for ya

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3556 on: July 11, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
I’ve been waiting for this one for a long time.
&& Powell Flight
9.13 x 31.8, WB 15”
Powell sticker vomit grip
Ace AF1 66s
Indy hardware and 1/8 risers
Bones Swiss 6
Spitfire F4 Classics 97a 56mm

I got this on the second run of &&s, the first run sold out too quickly.

Had this as a wallhanger until I worked my way through my other flight decks. Wasn’t really fond of the shape, and I’ve been shaping boards lately, so I took off the sharp edges, and now I really like the shape.

I thought the extreme concave in the flares would be a bit much, but I didn’t notice it. Pops nicer than my flight 8.75 popsicle with Indy 159s, but the geometry is pretty different, so I’m not sure that’s helping.

One problem was the Aces: one of the goddamn mounting holes was too small for the bolt! When I told the shop owner, she roller her eyes and was like ‘Not again’. Apparently it’s been a problem, at least over here in Japan. She even saw a truck missing a hole, how the hell does that happen?

Luckily she had a drill with the right sized bit to had it ready to go. Loosened them about half a turn and they’ve been grinding well, no other problems (yet).

Swiss 6 are fast, the Spits are nice and grippy on wood.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3557 on: July 11, 2021, 09:41:47 AM »
&& Powell Flight
9.13 x 31.8, WB 15”
Ace AF1 66s
Bones Swiss 6

You absolutely do you, different strokes for different folks and so on, but: DANG I'd never want to look down on that thing while riding, haha!

Grip Jobs

« Reply #3558 on: July 11, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
That board looks sick and will last forever

KillDayoy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #3559 on: July 11, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
Adding another mutant, I love this board so dang much
Heroin Mutant
Ace classic 66
Oj hardline 58
Swiss
risers and rails unknown

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3560 on: July 11, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
Expand Quote
&& Powell Flight
9.13 x 31.8, WB 15”
Ace AF1 66s
Bones Swiss 6

[close]

You absolutely do you, different strokes for different folks and so on, but: DANG I'd never want to look down on that thing while riding, haha!

Yeah. I’m kinda regretting the grip. I should have used it sparingly in a patchwork.

But whatever. The deck will last long enough to be regripped, and because the tip sheet isn’t maple it’s super easy.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3561 on: July 12, 2021, 03:27:54 AM »
I'm looking for some 9" Popsicle with a 14,2-14,5 WB but I can find much online in stock, what are my options? I only found Enjoi, Heroin and HLC decks... Anything else? Many thanks pals

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3562 on: July 12, 2021, 03:57:46 AM »
I'm looking for some 9" Popsicle with a 14,2-14,5 WB but I can find much online in stock, what are my options? I only found Enjoi, Heroin and HLC decks... Anything else? Many thanks pals

If you can find those, why not go for it? The HLC 9" is really good, even though I'd appreciate a deeper concave. Heroin 9" is on my list to try, love BBS decks. Waiting for the new catalogue to drop this week. Never skated a Dwindle deck, so not sure about Enjoi.

A friend of mine is skating the Polar Brady 9" and loves it. Also just spotted this the other day, however no idea where these decks come from and I am sure they are hard to get outside of Europe, considering it's a small German brand.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3563 on: July 12, 2021, 04:07:43 AM »
Roger has a 9” popsicle that I have thought about ordering.

If im not mistaken they are Clutch and when I asked previously someone chimed in and said 14.5 wb.

https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/roger-skate-co-decks/products/roger-skate-co-half-roger-v3-skateboard-deck-9-0

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #3564 on: July 12, 2021, 06:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you can find those, why not go for it? The HLC 9" is really good, even though I'd appreciate a deeper concave. Heroin 9" is on my list to try, love BBS decks. Waiting for the new catalogue to drop this week. Never skated a Dwindle deck, so not sure about Enjoi.

A friend of mine is skating the Polar Brady 9" and loves it. Also just spotted this the other day, however no idea where these decks come from and I am sure they are hard to get outside of Europe, considering it's a small German brand.

I skated a couple of HLC boards and I didn't like it, broke them in less than a month and they were too flat for me. I'm not a big fan of Enjoi and all Heroin popsicles i can find are located in UK. I'm based on Spain and the shipping is expensive nowadays + there's chance of paying taxes.

I will check the Über deck, I asked them were they press them but my guess it's HLC too.

Thanks pals!

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #3565 on: July 12, 2021, 06:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I skated a couple of HLC boards and I didn't like it, broke them in less than a month and they were too flat for me. I'm not a big fan of Enjoi and all Heroin popsicles i can find are located in UK. I'm based on Spain and the shipping is expensive nowadays + there's chance of paying taxes.

I will check the Über deck, I asked them were they press them but my guess it's HLC too.

Thanks pals!

I grabbed a Creature Stumps 9" w/ 14.25wb when they dropped them again a month or two ago and I love it.  Already pretty scarce again here in the US, but if you can get your hands on one I'd definitely recommend.

Get hungry on it!

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3566 on: July 12, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »
First post on slap after lurking for a bit.

9.25 couch, thunder 151 hollow lights with 1/8 risers. 54mm blast wheels

First board that’s made the thunders feel good after being on indys for ages.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3567 on: July 12, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
That's a good one @Shoebox box I had a very similar same set up last summer (spitfire and Thunder 151 teams) and it felt great.

Shoebox

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3568 on: July 12, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »
Cheers @frankandfred
Going to try a loveseat next for a bit better fit on the trucks just wish they were a little shorter like 31.5 or something

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3569 on: July 12, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
First post on slap after lurking for a bit.

9.25 couch, thunder 151 hollow lights with 1/8 risers. 54mm blast wheels

First board that’s made the thunders feel good after being on indys for ages.

Would be interesting to know how it holds up, here's my Couch after the fourth session, flat ground only.