Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540206 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 294
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4830 on: June 30, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Alright, after lots of deliberation I've narrowed down my 9" popsicle search to two options:

Polar 9" (with wheel wells):

9 x 32.25
14.5 WB
Nose: 7"
Tail: 6.75

Hockey 9" (Same shape as AntiHero):

9 x 33.25
15 WB
Nose: 7.25

I'll be riding them on Ace 55 classics and 55mm F4 classics. For context, I'm currently riding a Dane1, and while I really love it, I find it's a little squirrelly for me and I notice my feet feeling a little too close for comfort. I'm 6'3" with a size 12 foot.

Overall I'm leaning towards the Polar deck but the extra wheelbase and and length of the Hockey deck does intrigue me. My concern is if the Hockey deck feels unreasonably heavier or clunkier compared to the Polar. How does each deck handle different kind of tricks? Does anyone have experience with either deck or with something similar?

🌻

I'm currently riding the Polar popsicle and really like it. I've read a lot about Polar being weird with their wb measurements though, so it's actually more of a 14.38 wb so that's something to consider. Are you mostly gonna be skating street or transition on it?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4831 on: June 30, 2022, 01:27:50 PM »
The 9" Polar Shin popsicle I have is 14.5" and makes it feel pretty agile for its width. I set it up mostly for bowls

a 15" wb is going to feel like a boat unless you are used to it. I'd only go back to a 15" wb if I wanted a dedicated vert set up.

Coming from the Dane 1 you'll probably like the shorter wb option of the 9" Polar instead.

qweenmess

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4832 on: June 30, 2022, 01:54:56 PM »
The 9" Polar Shin popsicle I have is 14.5" and makes it feel pretty agile for its width. I set it up mostly for bowls

a 15" wb is going to feel like a boat unless you are used to it. I'd only go back to a 15" wb if I wanted a dedicated vert set up.

Coming from the Dane 1 you'll probably like the shorter wb option of the 9" Polar instead.

This is exactly what I needed to know, I really wanted to avoid that boat feeling and since I haven't ridden a board that big I'm not sure where the line is at for me. Im gna go with the Polar, thanks 🔥

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4833 on: June 30, 2022, 02:45:27 PM »

Did you measure it yourself? All I’ve come across have been actually 14.375” like all other decks Polar claims to have a 14.5” wheelbase.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4834 on: June 30, 2022, 03:21:56 PM »
Yes, I did. It was right in front of me when I read that post. Put my glasses on and everything. 14.5 on the money.

Meanwhile my Shin surf model is 14.38 as advertised.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4835 on: June 30, 2022, 11:05:48 PM »
Yes, I did. It was right in front of me when I read that post. Put my glasses on and everything. 14.5 on the money.

They must have changed it at some point then. I’m wondering if the same applies to all the others they’ve mislabeled. I haven’t bought any Polar boards in a good while due to the wheelbase measurements being wrong. Could consider getting the 9” popsicle if they actually changed it.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4836 on: June 30, 2022, 11:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They must have changed it at some point then. I’m wondering if the same applies to all the others they’ve mislabeled. I haven’t bought any Polar boards in a good while due to the wheelbase measurements being wrong. Could consider getting the 9” popsicle if they actually changed it.
i had the pot demon graphic and it measured 14.38
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4837 on: June 30, 2022, 11:45:42 PM »
Polar graphics are sick but I wish they had bigger wheelbases

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1070
« Reply #4838 on: July 07, 2022, 01:28:21 PM »
anyone know where I can get a 10in traditional popsicle?

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4839 on: July 07, 2022, 01:48:29 PM »

Looks like they might be out of 10s, but they’ve got the 10.25 and 10.5-inch

https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-Script-Outline-Shop-Deck-x46710530.htm

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4840 on: July 07, 2022, 02:43:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like they might be out of 10s, but they’ve got the 10.25 and 10.5-inch

https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-Script-Outline-Shop-Deck-x46710530.htm

if we're shopping 35th, they have a 10 in this graphic
https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-Exploding-Skull-Shop-Deck-By-Riley-Kerr-x63865590.htm

qweenmess

« Reply #4841 on: July 07, 2022, 03:49:49 PM »

Pulled the trigger on the polar 9" popsicle and I'm so happy I did. My Dane1 is a lot of fun but I feel more comfortable on a longer wheelbase. Feels like a really solid amount of board under my feet without feeling boat-like

Ace 55 classics with Ace hard bushings
55mm 99a spitfire f4 classics
1/8" risers
pepper grip

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out what I want!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:57:13 PM by qweenmess »

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4842 on: July 07, 2022, 08:18:28 PM »
Missed skating a punk point a lot.

Black Label Jason Adams Curb Shark Punk Point 9.5" x 32.75" with 14 5/8"WB
Indy standards 159 with 92a top bushing and 90a bottom bushing
Powell Peralta G-Slides 56mm 85a (using these till my ankle heals completely, then I'm switching them to NFG MFG 54mm 52D Vee Shape)
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Jessup Ultra
Rib Bones
Bones 1/8" risers
Mini Logo 1" hardware

It's strange, but a shape like this makes me want to push harder and go faster than usual.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4843 on: July 08, 2022, 04:44:51 AM »
Set up thread cross post….

Second time on this shape as I loved it so much the first time….

Curb destruction awaits!  :D

Pontus Alv x Into the Wild skateboards ( jeremie Daclin shape / company ) 9”
Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

Vans waffle cup bmx slip ons ( skate great!!)

animalflesh

« Reply #4844 on: July 08, 2022, 06:44:50 AM »
Past 3 setups 🤌🤌🤌

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #4845 on: July 08, 2022, 05:23:31 PM »
Past 3 setups 🤌🤌🤌
Correct.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #4846 on: July 11, 2022, 08:26:07 AM »
Some beautiful options 9+ options in the new Heated Wheel drop. Theres one board, Gary’s Right with shorter 14.25 WB too since I remember people wanting something like that. 

Happy with my Slam Time 9.6 from the first wave, actually loving the wide wheebase more than I expected, and stoked theres more long wheel base options now and for future.  THW scaling up is so sick.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #4847 on: July 11, 2022, 01:21:02 PM »
After riding a 9"x33"x14.75" popsicle some time ago and stopping because it felt too long, I got a couch and I'm still not happy. It's kind of the other side of the big boy spectrum I guess, it almost feels like a normal 8.5 deck and doesn't really add anything for me by being wider around the middle. Now I miss the stability I had on the 9" popsicle.

So here's to the next one, any recommendations for a middle ground? 9" with 14.25-14.4" wheelbase and a bit less taper maybe? Oh and I like em steep. The couch tail is also a bit too mellow for me, especially with the 3 fingers of flat. Kinda ridiculous. It feels like a mini board.

I think I would like the couch if I had 8.75 thunders or ventures, but I'm definitely not buying more trucks. Currently riding it with AF1 66s, which makes the pop feel stupid light. Might just try it with 8.5 thunders I have.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4848 on: July 11, 2022, 01:44:08 PM »
After riding a 9"x33"x14.75" popsicle some time ago and stopping because it felt too long, I got a couch and I'm still not happy. It's kind of the other side of the big boy spectrum I guess, it almost feels like a normal 8.5 deck and doesn't really add anything for me by being wider around the middle. Now I miss the stability I had on the 9" popsicle.

So here's to the next one, any recommendations for a middle ground? 9" with 14.25-14.4" wheelbase and a bit less taper maybe? Oh and I like em steep. The couch tail is also a bit too mellow for me, especially with the 3 fingers of flat. Kinda ridiculous. It feels like a mini board.

I think I would like the couch if I had 8.75 thunders or ventures, but I'm definitely not buying more trucks. Currently riding it with AF1 66s, which makes the pop feel stupid light. Might just try it with 8.5 thunders I have.
creature stumps 9/32/14.25 wb is probably what you want
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4849 on: July 11, 2022, 06:19:29 PM »
Creature and Santa Cruz share those same shapes, so as said, they would be a good option.

Polar 9" popsicles are not too big as per others who have them and work well on Ace trucks too, as per Frank & Fred's latest setup from the previous page.

There is a bit of discussion as to whether it is 14.5 or 14.375 though so check that first.

The 14.5 wb might not be quite what you want, although it might be a bit more stable than a 14.25 wb board.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

qweenmess

« Reply #4850 on: July 12, 2022, 05:40:08 AM »

So I went from a Dane1 (14.12 WB) to a Polar 9" popsicle (14.5 WB) and I'm loving it. I was rly concerned about getting something that felt too big or boat-like, especially coming from such a small WB on the Dane, but it really is a perfect fit. It's got the stability of a 9"+ board but still feels versatile. I have the Ace 55 classics on it (same size as AF1 66) with hard bushings and the turn is still carvy and smooth but it's rly stable in the center.

Hope this helps!

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4851 on: July 12, 2022, 05:51:21 AM »

Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

Those SlimeBalls are amazing. Had them on my board for a while. Perfect for skating wooden ramps!
I now have the white ones as my main wheels, a bit too soft for street but amazing for transition skating

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #4852 on: July 12, 2022, 07:15:16 AM »
Sitting on these at the moment, probably gonna try out one of those 10" 35th boards next.

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4853 on: July 12, 2022, 07:16:53 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

[close]

Those SlimeBalls are amazing. Had them on my board for a while. Perfect for skating wooden ramps!
I now have the white ones as my main wheels, a bit too soft for street but amazing for transition skating

Good to know, I might actually cop them for winter. But arent they 97a?

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4854 on: July 12, 2022, 09:34:58 AM »
Is the madness 9" pop the same shape as the 9 Orange Eagle?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4855 on: July 12, 2022, 06:31:38 PM »

I don't usually look at Dwindle / Madness decks much, but two I just looked up had very different dimensions:

(1)  Madness Engraved graphic 9.0 x 33.3 with 15.0 wb, which on paper would be about the same as an orange eagle and still in stock in a few places, so guessing this is the one.

(2)  Madness Mujeres 9.0 x 32 with 14.25 wb, which is about as far away as you can get from a long wide board, but most likely old stock as there don't seem to be any available online.

Dwindle has their own shapes and concave, but it couldn't be that far off, besides the significant difference in concave between the two woodshops.

Found this as well:

https://www.coastskate.com.au/products/madness-engraved-r7-deck-9-0

Madness Engraved R7 Skateboard Deck 9.0''
Length: 33.25
Wheelbase: 15
Nose: 7.30
Resin 7 Construction 7-ply 100% North America Maple
Mellow concave

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #4856 on: July 12, 2022, 10:19:54 PM »
How is dwindle wood vs bbs?

Bror

« Reply #4857 on: July 13, 2022, 12:13:59 AM »
How is dwindle wood vs bbs?

Theyre rock solid. Keeps its pop forever. Only ridden one dwindle, rode it in the rain alot and it was still good after that. Doesnt get soggy like normal wood, but having quite a hard time when it's brand new and super stiff.

Bror

« Reply #4858 on: July 13, 2022, 12:21:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't usually look at Dwindle / Madness decks much, but two I just looked up had very different dimensions:

(1)  Madness Engraved graphic 9.0 x 33.3 with 15.0 wb, which on paper would be about the same as an orange eagle and still in stock in a few places, so guessing this is the one.

(2)  Madness Mujeres 9.0 x 32 with 14.25 wb, which is about as far away as you can get from a long wide board, but most likely old stock as there don't seem to be any available online.

Dwindle has their own shapes and concave, but it couldn't be that far off, besides the significant difference in concave between the two woodshops.

Found this as well:

https://www.coastskate.com.au/products/madness-engraved-r7-deck-9-0

Madness Engraved R7 Skateboard Deck 9.0''
Length: 33.25
Wheelbase: 15
Nose: 7.30
Resin 7 Construction 7-ply 100% North America Maple
Mellow concave

Thanks bud!

Such a shame it's a mellow concave, just got used to the regular medium ones
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 05:38:02 AM by Bror »

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4859 on: July 13, 2022, 02:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

[close]

[close]

Good to know, I might actually cop them for winter. But arent they 97a?

Yes, they are 97A. In my opinion these wheels are good for any kind of terrain. But I like them the most on wooden ramps because they grip perfectly but you can still revert out of tricks