Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540244 times)

munchbox and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ashbunce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4860 on: July 13, 2022, 04:32:59 AM »
All the shit finally came in to set this bad boy up

Jk industries candybar reissue 9.75
OG stage V independent 169s straight from the 80s
52mm Spitfire og classics
OG bridgebolt hardware

Super stoked with this one

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4861 on: July 13, 2022, 07:17:26 AM »

Thanks bud!

Such a shame it's a mellow concave, just got used to the regular medium ones

Expand Quote
How is dwindle wood vs bbs?
[close]

Theyre rock solid. Keeps its pop forever. Only ridden one dwindle, rode it in the rain alot and it was still good after that. Doesnt get soggy like normal wood, but having quite a hard time when it's brand new and super stiff.

I think the Dwindle marked as "mellow concave" are not that mellow, especially in the wider boards, but also they usually have mellow concave, steep kick on all of those boards, but it would be something that is printed on top of a board, so seeing it in person or even asking a shop to check would be fairly easy.

To me Dwindle always feels a whole lot steeper and stiffer all round than any BBS boards (bar FA / Hockey) too, but that is just me and I much prefer very mellow BBS wood that has a fair bit of flex because of that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4862 on: July 13, 2022, 07:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote
How is dwindle wood vs bbs?
[close]

Theyre rock solid. Keeps its pop forever. Only ridden one dwindle, rode it in the rain alot and it was still good after that. Doesnt get soggy like normal wood, but having quite a hard time when it's brand new and super stiff.

Yup, zero stress cracks too. Really good shit

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4863 on: July 13, 2022, 11:09:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Set up thread cross post….

Second time on this shape as I loved it so much the first time….

Curb destruction awaits!  :D

Pontus Alv x Into the Wild skateboards ( jeremie Daclin shape / company ) 9”
Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

Vans waffle cup bmx slip ons ( skate great!!)
[close]

Those SlimeBalls are amazing. Had them on my board for a while. Perfect for skating wooden ramps!
I now have the white ones as my main wheels, a bit too soft for street but amazing for transition skating
[close]

Good to know, I might actually cop them for winter. But arent they 97a?
[close]

Yes, they are 97A. In my opinion these wheels are good for any kind of terrain. But I like them the most on wooden ramps because they grip perfectly but you can still revert out of tricks

Nah these ones are 99a and a tiny bit narrower than the 97a ones. They’re a really good all round wheel.

The 97a are great for rough street or slippy wood though

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #4864 on: July 13, 2022, 06:43:50 PM »

Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

That’s beautiful @Jory.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4865 on: July 13, 2022, 06:50:00 PM »
I keep telling myself I’m not going to buy more decks and have been successfully holding out for a few months. Until I went on IG and see this:

Definitely getting that Beyond deck as well as Elijahs spider egg I posted a page or so back.
I’m weak.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #4866 on: July 13, 2022, 06:54:17 PM »
I keep telling myself I’m not going to buy more decks . And have been holding out for a few months then I go on IG and see this:

Definitely getting that Beyond deck as well as Elijahs spider egg I posted a page or so back.
I’m weak.

The spider egg looks incredible.  I’ve had to avert my eyes a few times when browsing the Black Label website to not immediately add that to my cart

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4867 on: July 13, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
Yeah I’d been doing the same, but Jahs a rad human and it doesn’t hurt that all the dims are perfect for me on top of that.

pops

• Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4868 on: July 13, 2022, 09:32:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55 classic
Rib bones
56mm 99a slime balls
Jessup
Random hardware
Minilogo bearings

[close]

Those SlimeBalls are amazing. Had them on my board for a while. Perfect for skating wooden ramps!
I now have the white ones as my main wheels, a bit too soft for street but amazing for transition skating
[close]

Good to know, I might actually cop them for winter. But arent they 97a?
[close]

Yes, they are 97A. In my opinion these wheels are good for any kind of terrain. But I like them the most on wooden ramps because they grip perfectly but you can still revert out of tricks
[close]

Nah these ones are 99a and a tiny bit narrower than the 97a ones. They’re a really good all round wheel.

The 97a are great for rough street or slippy wood though

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know they made 99a slimeballs.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #4869 on: July 14, 2022, 07:43:33 AM »
I keep telling myself I’m not going to buy more decks and have been successfully holding out for a few months. Until I went on IG and see this:

I’m weak.

theres something about that isaacs/tripless shape that i just cant resist. i need to get one. but i cant get their decks out here. that saves my ass from buying more decks i dont need. still hurts tho.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #4870 on: July 14, 2022, 08:20:40 PM »
Crosspost from the set up thread

DOA 9” x 32.5” with a 15” wb
Jessup
Bronze 1” Allen
Film 165
Spitfire f4 54mm 99a conical fulls
Bones big balls
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4871 on: July 17, 2022, 12:55:02 PM »
Please let me hijack this thread for a quick question related to big boards.

I usually ride a <8" popsicle for street tricks, but coming to a certain age I'd like to have an cruiser that I can also skate occasionally. My first board in the early 90's was a wide board, and therefore I'm looking into something considerably bigger. I recently got the occasion to ride a few minutes on a 9.5 Krooked Ray Barbee (the Friends deck with the fishes) and I absolutely loved it! So I'd like to get one (with rails, of course!) - now question is which trucks. For wheel size, I'd probably go for 55-58 mm, definitely not higher than that.   

I've been riding Thunders for the past 17 years or so, and the board I tried had Indys which felt much stiffer than my usual Thunders. Obviously it could be down to rider's preferences... but I have two questions:

1. Do I need to consider switching from Thunders to Indys/Aces for a bigger board? I usually ride my Thunders loose and use a small 1/8 riser to avoid wheelbite.

2. Which size trucks should I buy? I don't think I'll ever go higher than 9.5, but might go a tad smaller. I guess I'd still have to go with the Thunder 161's or the Indy 169's?

I've been skating for 30+ years and I'd love to give it another 30+ years so thankful for any tips you guys can share.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4872 on: July 17, 2022, 01:15:53 PM »

Last board was a Polar 9.0 and I fell in love with this shape after riding big shaped boards for awhile. I like having a big board but the more "normal" WB & Length make this thing  really functional for me.

Polar 9.0
Indy 169 Ti Bones hard bottom/Indy blue top +Flat Washer
Bones/PP 56 V6 93a Dragons Samples
Bones Big Balls
Shake Hunt 1" Allen Hardware
Mob Grip

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4873 on: July 17, 2022, 01:46:33 PM »

I usually ride a <8" popsicle for street tricks, but coming to a certain age I'd like to have an cruiser that I can also skate occasionally. My first board in the early 90's was a wide board, and therefore I'm looking into something considerably bigger. I recently got the occasion to ride a few minutes on a 9.5 Krooked Ray Barbee (the Friends deck with the fishes) and I absolutely loved it! So I'd like to get one (with rails, of course!) - now question is which trucks. For wheel size, I'd probably go for 55-58 mm, definitely not higher than that.   

I've been riding Thunders for the past 17 years or so, and the board I tried had Indys which felt much stiffer than my usual Thunders. Obviously it could be down to rider's preferences... but I have two questions:

1. Do I need to consider switching from Thunders to Indys/Aces for a bigger board? I usually ride my Thunders loose and use a small 1/8 riser to avoid wheelbite.

2. Which size trucks should I buy? I don't think I'll ever go higher than 9.5, but might go a tad smaller. I guess I'd still have to go with the Thunder 161's or the Indy 169's?

I've been skating for 30+ years and I'd love to give it another 30+ years so thankful for any tips you guys can share.

Honestly a lot of it does come down to preference like you said. If you're comfortable with Thunders I'd stick with those unless you really want to try something different. 161 Thunders are 1mm taller than the smaller sizes so that could help accommodate bigger wheels without having to add a bigger riser. Depending on the types of shapes you want to ride 151s might be a better option because a lot of shapes in 9.0-9.5 range taper a lot. As for wheels, if you want something closer to a hard street wheel but with more give try Spitfire F4 97's, NFG 95a Crust formula or the new Powell 93a Dragons. All of them have their Pros and Cons but are all good hybrid wheels. If you want a more mid range cruiser/still skate able wheel I'd try Dogtown 92a smooths or OJ Key frames. And if you just want to cruise I'd recommend Bones Rough Riders 80a, all other really soft wheels I've had chunked out but I have a set of 3 year old rough riders going strong. Hope this helps you out and keeps you skating brotha!

Slugboi22

• Rep: 65
« Reply #4874 on: July 17, 2022, 04:27:00 PM »

i have that exact krooked board and i have mine set with thunder 149 team hollows with a 1/8 riser and 56mm conical fulls. i’ve also put indy 159s on it but those stuck out a bit in the back and i ended up going back to 149s. If i remember correctly, I believe the shape was designed by ray specifically for 149 trucks but i could be wrong. I’d say for big shaped boards you’d probably want to go for some 151s since those seem to be a good all rounder for larger decks. At the same time, you could always get 149s as well which opens up the doors for 8.3 to like 8.75 shapes :) really can’t go wrong!

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4875 on: July 17, 2022, 06:19:35 PM »
Shaped Tactics shop deck? https://www.tactics.com/tactics/grime-ball-9125-skateboard-deck

SIZE   9.125
WIDTH (IN):   9.125
LENGTH (IN):   31.375
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.375
NOSE (IN):   6.375
TAIL (IN):   6.75

I'm not buying one but for $50 it might be a contender

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4876 on: July 17, 2022, 07:04:38 PM »

At first I was thinking what a copy?!?  But it is a Slime Balls x Tactics colab.

The other pictures of that do make it look quite interesting.

I am thinking mainly the big wide tail is the best thing about that shape, but it could feel like a scaled down and squared off Huffer too.

Being picky but I also like how it has a stained top and bottom layer ply, so if you weren't into that graphic, it would still look good stripped to the wood stain.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1319
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4877 on: July 18, 2022, 11:12:02 PM »
That shape is also available from Darkroom and is Tactic's main shaped shop deck so there are other non-Slimeball options. I was looking real hard at it a few weeks ago and if there weren't so many great shaped boards out right now I could be happy with that one. Pretty much a Dream Girl with a slightly longer wheelbase.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4878 on: July 19, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »

At first I was thinking what a copy?!?  But it is a Slime Balls x Tactics colab.

The other pictures of that do make it look quite interesting.

I am thinking mainly the big wide tail is the best thing about that shape, but it could feel like a scaled down and squared off Huffer too.

Being picky but I also like how it has a stained top and bottom layer ply, so if you weren't into that graphic, it would still look good stripped to the wood stain.

I have that shape, posed it a few pages back:

X Post, first new whip in a minute:

Expand Quote

9.125 shop deck
Ace 44 classic, 3 rings
1/16" shock pads
Boardycakes 49.9mm
[close]

Ended up putting Indys and some big ass slimeballs on it, skated it for the first time in ages yesterday and it was super fun.

FWIW that board is basically a scaled up version of the Polar Surf and skates very similar, albeit with a little more room.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4879 on: July 19, 2022, 06:44:03 PM »

Thanks for the added info.

I thought that the Tactics other boards were shorter wheelbase than that Slimeballs colab, but it is probably just me.  Not sure what board I am thinking of now that was only 14.125 or so, but anything around the 14.375 wheelbase is a good overall board.

Maybe I was thinking for someone to drill it down to 14.0 and give it more of a nose, which would make sense.

For the simple graphic, or lack of it, that one sure does make it easy and you can even choose the bottom stain, which is nice.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/tko-9125-skateboard-deck/teal

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4880 on: July 20, 2022, 02:49:50 AM »

i have that exact krooked board and i have mine set with thunder 149 team hollows with a 1/8 riser and 56mm conical fulls. i’ve also put indy 159s on it but those stuck out a bit in the back and i ended up going back to 149s. If i remember correctly, I believe the shape was designed by ray specifically for 149 trucks but i could be wrong. I’d say for big shaped boards you’d probably want to go for some 151s since those seem to be a good all rounder for larger decks. At the same time, you could always get 149s as well which opens up the doors for 8.3 to like 8.75 shapes :) really can’t go wrong!
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip! I've always been interested in a Zig Zagger (8.6), so this is actually a pretty good idea! However, now I'm considering the Thunder 151's vs the 149's that you recommended...  ::)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #4881 on: July 20, 2022, 09:00:17 AM »
Has anybody re-drilled the wb on a loveseat/couch? My couch is unskateble for me with ace trucks, but drilling the tail 0.5" shorter might just be good?
Short wb, 3-4 fingers of flat and the long mellow tail is kinda insane with ace. zero leverage.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4882 on: July 20, 2022, 04:05:18 PM »
Anyone skated the Krooked Frame Face 9.81 x 32 yet?

Just ordered one but can't seem to find any measurements of the width over the front + back trucks, here's to hoping I have a pair of trucks that fit - guessing 66 Classics should be ok.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1319
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4883 on: July 20, 2022, 04:12:40 PM »

Just ordered one but can't seem to find any measurements of the width over the front + back trucks, here's to hoping I have a pair of trucks that fit - guessing 66 Classics should be ok.
There's a lot of talk in this thread about that shape where we refer to it as the Sweatpants shape. Now that I think of it, I dunno if that was ever official or if that name just stuck because it used to always have the sweatpants graphic on it.

To save you a bit of trouble, I would say don't go any bigger than AF1 66/Classic 55/169 etc. It's just under 9" over the back trucks and the widest point is just under the front bolts. I rode it with 169s and it was very nice.

This has also been a super useful tool. Shoutout to the OG poster who's name escapes me:
https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #4884 on: July 20, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »

Managed to get a Krooked Phantom from my local. 8.0 across the front trucks, 8.5 across the back trucks, >10.0 at the widest point. Does this count as a big board? Debating whether to set this up for fun or put it on the wall next to the Grimple Nighthammer

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #4885 on: July 20, 2022, 04:31:20 PM »
!!!  It counts

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4886 on: July 20, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
There's a lot of talk in this thread about that shape where we refer to it as the Sweatpants shape. Now that I think of it, I dunno if that was ever official or if that name just stuck because it used to always have the sweatpants graphic on it.

To save you a bit of trouble, I would say don't go any bigger than AF1 66/Classic 55/169 etc. It's just under 9" over the back trucks and the widest point is just under the front bolts. I rode it with 169s and it was very nice.

This has also been a super useful tool. Shoutout to the OG poster who's name escapes me:

Ahhhhh killer, thank you!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4887 on: July 20, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »

Managed to get a Krooked Phantom from my local. 8.0 across the front trucks, 8.5 across the back trucks, >10.0 at the widest point. Does this count as a big board? Debating whether to set this up for fun or put it on the wall next to the Grimple Nighthammer
Most definitely counts. Set it up! It’ll be sad if it isn’t ridden. Great score BTW.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4888 on: July 20, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »
Thanks for the added info.

I thought that the Tactics other boards were shorter wheelbase than that Slimeballs colab, but it is probably just me.  Not sure what board I am thinking of now that was only 14.125 or so, but anything around the 14.375 wheelbase is a good overall board.

Maybe I was thinking for someone to drill it down to 14.0 and give it more of a nose, which would make sense.

For the simple graphic, or lack of it, that one sure does make it easy and you can even choose the bottom stain, which is nice.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/tko-9125-skateboard-deck/teal

I ended up drilling mine out to 14.875". Makes the nose tiny but I kind of like it. This is it's current state for the curious:

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4889 on: July 20, 2022, 07:41:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ahhhhh killer, thank you!

Yep, Jake has it right.

That shape coming in at 9.81 x 32 with a 14.38 wheelbase, so definitely a really good shaped larger deck, about 9.3 over the front trucks but significantly less about 8.8 over the back trucks, but can still take 9" or so sized trucks easily for an all rounder / transition board, as well as others setting it up on smaller trucks for more tech skating. 

Decent nose and tail as is (about normal popsicle nose and tail length), but some people have drilled it out to have a longer wheelbase as well and that worked fine too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.