Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541482 times)

comicbookguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
Anyone know of any companies making a 10" Popsicle that isn't absurdly long and has a normal wheel base? Basically what if Anti-Hero orange eagle but an inch wider.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2019, 12:08:46 AM »
I wanted a 9" board but the order got fucked settled of a 8.5 Drake Jones guest board (which is lucky cause it was sold out everywhere). My new trucks are 151's. I won't be able to set it up for a bit due to being in hospital... Are the trucks gonna be too wide for the board? Is anyone running a 8.5 with 151's???

Thanks
Twin Perks

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2019, 12:45:20 AM »
I wanted a 9" board but the order got fucked settled of a 8.5 Drake Jones guest board (which is lucky cause it was sold out everywhere). My new trucks are 151's. I won't be able to set it up for a bit due to being in hospital... Are the trucks gonna be too wide for the board? Is anyone running a 8.5 with 151's???

Thanks
You should be ok, btw sucks that you're in hospital, hope everything is good.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
???
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should i get 159s or 169s for this? Im not sure because the tail end is skinnier the the nose end.

[close]
   You need to give us the width.  - that thing could be a hand board.  Edit but if the front is 9.75 or wider go with ace 66 and if its 9.5 at the front get the 69s.
[close]

The widest point is 9.25 not to sure about the rest its 1991 shape if that helps
[close]

The 1991 is 8.75 over the rear trucks.  Both will work.  159 if you do a lot of flip tricks or want a more agile setup.  169 if you skate more big tranny and want something stable
[close]

Thanks for the help. I cant wait to set it up
[close]
I have the same one, feels super good with Ace 55

[close]

Nice setup. I ended up getting some 159 indy hollows but im still looking for some wheels. Any recommendations?
Just got this too!
Set it up and took it out last night. My new favourite board. Sitting on 159" titanium indy's, 53mm 99a spitfire lock-ins, and bones swiss 6. Had so much fun skating street on this that the 8.5" i set up last week is probably not leaving the house for a while.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
I just laid the trucks on the board since I rarely ride it. Will prolly sell it.
Here is an Ol yeller with an Indy 169 and spitfire 55 classics nose, Indy 215 with Powell bombers 64mm tail.
The 169's are just a little under and the 215's a little over. I think the Ace 66 is a better choice than either of the trucks it you can ride Ace.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:39:40 AM by velvethammer »

jock_derrida

• Rep: 0
« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
hola bigboys,

(not entirely sure if this should go here or in the "Gear you're contemplating buying" thread, but anyway)

relative newcomer here. I recently moved back home to rural Norway and since it looks like I'll be staying for a while, I was hoping for some advice on setting up a deck for crusty country roads (asphalt, but rough). some background:
- was previously living in Glasgow, Scotland, have had my first deck for about 2yrs, never had as much time as I would've liked to use it due to university taking up most of my time.
- My skill set so far is limited to: pushing, reverts, lifting the nose over cracks in the ground, nearly being able to pop an ollie from static.
- Current setup: blank shop deck 8.25, bullet trucks (i.e. generic beginner setup the guy in the shop built for me, later swapped wheels and bearings for:) bones reds, f4 classics 56mm 99 duro

I've been tempted by the idea of a bigboi board for a while now, and since the roads are rough probably some bigger and/or softer wheels. And since this site https://session.no/ gives you a 15% discount I figure I might as well get an entire new setup. (As an aside: as I have no local, and Norwegian import laws make it almost twice as expensive to order from outside the country, this site seems like my best bet.)

So far I'm thinking: Jessup, another set of Reds, whatever hardware, either indy 159s or 169s depending on which deck I go for, and maybe some risers as I like loose trucks.

These are they decks the offer at 8.5 - 10:
https://session.no/skatebuilder/filter/8_5-8_6-8_7-8_8-9_0-9_2-9_7-9_8-10_0/decks_plater?dir=desc&order=created_at (I'd kinda be happy with their own-brand 9" but the nose looks a little odd to me)

And here's their selection of wheels: https://session.no/skatebuilder/filter/hjul?dir=desc&order=created_at#SKATEMENY (been eyeing up the Ricta clouds)

Obviously I'm not looking to go into full-on longboard territory; I would like a setup I can learn tricks on, so this would ideally be my main (i.e. only) setup, with the option to swap my wheels for the f4s if I go somewhere with smoother, flatter ground.

In short, which of the listed decks and wheels would you suggest for a rookie riding rough ground? (And apologies if this isn't really the right thread)

Davie Dick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #216 on: August 05, 2019, 05:49:15 PM »
In short, which of the listed decks and wheels would you suggest for a rookie riding rough ground? (And apologies if this isn't really the right thread)
That shop deck looks really fun, the nose shouldn't be an issue it's just an aesthetic thing, I would go for that deck otherwise the Creature Partanen deck. 159s, 54 spitfire chargers and 1/8" risers

WorkClothscape

« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2019, 03:19:48 AM »
https://session.no/

They have an interesting way to mark the size of the trucks they sell: instead of using the brands own model name, everything is converted to the corresponding Independent size. For example they have Thunder 139 and Tensor 139.

Edit: This would make sense if only the Indy's model numbers had anything to do with the physical dimensions of the trucks. Now this feels a bit arbitrary.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:23:33 AM by WorkClothscape »

jock_derrida

« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2019, 04:06:25 AM »
That shop deck looks really fun, the nose shouldn't be an issue it's just an aesthetic thing, I would go for that deck otherwise the Creature Partanen deck. 159s, 54 spitfire chargers and 1/8" risers

Thanks for your reply dude! I'm assuming you mean these? https://session.no/conical-chargers-clear-blue-54mm-80hd Also, would these still be hard enough to learn powerslides on?

Will message the shop about deck dimensions too - the shape of that Creature deck looks pretty nice, but the photos make it look a bit shorter than some of the other decks. I'm not particularly tall but my legs are pretty long for my height so I'm a bit wary of shorter decks/wheelbases

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2019, 04:47:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for your reply dude! I'm assuming you mean these? https://session.no/conical-chargers-clear-blue-54mm-80hd Also, would these still be hard enough to learn powerslides on?

Will message the shop about deck dimensions too - the shape of that Creature deck looks pretty nice, but the photos make it look a bit shorter than some of the other decks. I'm not particularly tall but my legs are pretty long for my height so I'm a bit wary of shorter decks/wheelbases

No. Those wheels suck. Sticky and slow. If you want cruiser wheels, get cruiser wheels. If you want hard wheels, get hard wheels. There is no middle ground, sadly. I live in Finland and the streets here are rough as fuck too. I have a separate cruiser and a separate trick setup.

For cruiser wheels from that shop the 60 mm Ricta Clouds would be my choice. I’ve got them in my cruiser and they’re awesome.

To help you get over rough ground getting bigger wheels will help as will wider contact patch. But a hard wheel will still not be exactly pleasant to learn on on rough ground. For harder wheels from there I’d get the Spitfire Conical Fulls in 54, 55, 56 or 58 mm.

You also don’t necessarily need a big ass board to cruise on. Learning tricks especially on such a behemoth will be more tricky. Could just go with a normal size setup with normal size cruiser wheels. Will be more tricky learning stuff where you have to rotate and wheelbite will instantly pitch you but other than that you’ve got a setup with pretty normal dimensions.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2019, 06:08:44 AM »
Will 56-68mm conical fulls and extra washers allow me to run 159s on a 9" popsicle without too much magic carpeting? Thinking of sizing up. I have a set of 169s but the 159s are broken in and feel so much better.

jock_derrida

« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2019, 07:53:41 AM »
No. Those wheels suck. Sticky and slow. If you want cruiser wheels, get cruiser wheels. If you want hard wheels, get hard wheels. There is no middle ground, sadly. I live in Finland and the streets here are rough as fuck too. I have a separate cruiser and a separate trick setup.

For cruiser wheels from that shop the 60 mm Ricta Clouds would be my choice. I’ve got them in my cruiser and they’re awesome.

To help you get over rough ground getting bigger wheels will help as will wider contact patch. But a hard wheel will still not be exactly pleasant to learn on on rough ground. For harder wheels from there I’d get the Spitfire Conical Fulls in 54, 55, 56 or 58 mm.

You also don’t necessarily need a big ass board to cruise on. Learning tricks especially on such a behemoth will be more tricky. Could just go with a normal size setup with normal size cruiser wheels. Will be more tricky learning stuff where you have to rotate and wheelbite will instantly pitch you but other than that you’ve got a setup with pretty normal dimensions.

Cheers for this. I think ideally I'd go for cruiser wheels then as I already have a relatively fresh set of F4s on my current setup (so could cruise around, then swap to F4s when I get to something resembling a spot). For that same reason I think I'd for the go Ricta Clouds 60mm rather than the 56mm. Would 8.6ish seem like a good middle ground for deck width? I feel stable enough on my current 8.25, the main reason I want a new deck is because this one is pretty chipped and likely waterlogged.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2019, 08:23:31 AM »
i have to say that 159s turn sooo much better than 169s that i rode them even on my 10+ decks (with wide wheels)

I would recommend them also for versatility, in case you want to size down in the future they are comfortable until 8.5 (imo)

so grab the deck that you like best, 159s and a set of softies, like chargers and keep the f4s you have now to switch it up in case you want something a bit slidier at times or you find good spots with nice ground.

Personally I'd go with the
DT dressen, because it is super fun (and wheel grooves)
Real Thiebaud, cause he's the man (and the shape is not as crazy)
or the shop board, because that is what you should always get (especially if local shops are rare in norway)

PMA

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2019, 09:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cheers for this. I think ideally I'd go for cruiser wheels then as I already have a relatively fresh set of F4s on my current setup (so could cruise around, then swap to F4s when I get to something resembling a spot). For that same reason I think I'd for the go Ricta Clouds 60mm rather than the 56mm. Would 8.6ish seem like a good middle ground for deck width? I feel stable enough on my current 8.25, the main reason I want a new deck is because this one is pretty chipped and likely waterlogged.

I’d get an 8.5” if you want the same deck for everything. But that’s just me. Your preference might be different.

Changing wheels at the spot. I’ve done it and IMO it’s not a good idea. Recently on a trip around Europe I had my cruiser wheels and hard wheels with me. Changed at the spot for the first few times and then I just went with the hard wheels for the rest of the trip. I had bearings like Bones Race Reds with extended inner races on both wheels so I wouldn’t have to fiddle with speed rings at the spot. It was still a fucking chore. Also I wouldn’t get bigger wheels to cruise on and then skate on smaller wheels on the same setup. That’ll probably throw you off way too much. I had my 54 mm OJ Keyframes and 54 mm Spitfire Formula Fours with me. Also I wouldn’t go bigger than 54 mm without risers.

Anyway. I get what you want. I’ve been there and have come to the conclusion that there is no middle ground. If you wanna go cruise get your cruiser. If you wanna go skate get your normal skateboard. For learning purposes I’d probably set the cruiser to be a normal sized setup just with softer wheels, like the 54 mm OJ Keyframes.

And this isn’t really the right topic for this discussion as we're not really talking 9”+ boards here at all.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #224 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:54 AM »
been a lot of talk in the 8.5 to 8.999 range here

let's pump them numbers up fellas

Reese

« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
9.4 x 32 Heroin Anatomy of Big Egg from Tactics on the way in the mail

14.5 wb which was nice to see

44's, 149 indy/thunder and 169's on stand by ready to be slapped on it. Somethings gunna work, can't wait for it

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2019, 11:02:47 AM »
i recently rode the krooked drehobl 9.25 and loved it.

it tapers a lot (8.5) over the back truck, which made it a bit tricky to fit trucks but with 159s it felt super smooth.

i like the extra leverage you get over the front truck, but also i have to put extra effort in to land things cleaner

PMA

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #227 on: August 08, 2019, 08:01:37 AM »

it tapers a lot (8.5) over the back truck, which made it a bit tricky to fit trucks but with 159s it felt super smooth.

i like the extra leverage you get over the front truck, but also i have to put extra effort in to land things cleaner

Yeah, it's a fun shape. Got one on my cruiser. Wide as fuck in the front and tapers a whole bunch in the back. The tail is really short which kinda threw me off at first but surprisingly it still ollies nicely without too much effort with 60 mm wheels and 1/8" risers.

Krooked 9.25" Drehobl shape
Ace 55
Ricta Clouds 78A 60 mm
Zealous bearings
Diamond 1/8" risers
Girl rails
Grip
Bolts

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #228 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »
true, the tail threw me off too, at first, but still it feels much better than i.e. my polar 1992, for some reason.
the polar feels heavy, hunky and unnecessarily long.

does anyone know more about the leftover skate hermit decks?
i love the shapes and the whole thing reminds me of the old scram decks
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:51:39 AM by jtrpma »

PMA

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »

Lib Tech Jamie Lynn 9.25 - redrilled to 14.625" wheelbase from the 15"
Ace 66 w/ Mini Logo bushings (Ace pop out of the washers)
56mm SPF P5 shape
Indy Black Bearings
Mini Logo 1/10 risers

It tapers a lot so there is a little wheel showing in the back.  Front is lined up well. 

The thing I noticed about the deck is it is super light.  It uses their Cockroach construction and with the grip it weighs 1320 grams.  My 8.3 Ishod Twin Tail was 1345, and the 8.3 slick one was 1375, and a 8.5 Mini Logo I have is 1389.

I know the numbers don't matter that much, but what it translates to is a 9.25" board that I landed my first 5 kickflips on, and I'm not that consistent on my 8.3"

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:07:38 PM by backinaction »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »

Lib Tech Jamie Lynn 9.25 - redrilled to 14.625" wheelbase from the 15"

Holy shit.  Just got back from my first session on it and loved it.   I was skating at a flow park and there is just so much real estate to land on.  I was landing airs that were sketchy, but I was able to commit because it was so stable.  I landed an impossible on flat.  The nose is super big to land on when sliding. 

3 thumbs up.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »
Ace 55
Ricta Clouds 78A 60 mm
Zealous bearings
Diamond 1/8" risers
Girl rails
Grip
Bolts

How are those Zealous bearings? This girl I work with is a roller derby chick and she recommended them. Then again she also doesn't believe me that any dude who volunteers to spend his weekends working as a roller derby referee for free is trying to get in someone's pants so I'm not sure I trust her judgement.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »

How are those Zealous bearings?

Out of the box they are a bit slow.  The lube in them seems pretty thick. I was disappointed at first, but then as I rolled them longer they got faster. The thing I liked about them is that they seem to be sealed super well so they last.  They may not be as fast as my Swiss 6, but they are no maintenance and they haven't slowed down as they get older. With the built in spacers you can tighten them down and they are silent.  It's really odd to be in a super smooth park skating them because your board just sound so solid when you land. 

I have them sitting in a set of wheels I don't use any more.  Next time the bearings in one of my setups takes a shit I'll start using them again.   As far as cheap bearings go - they are the favorite I have tried.

Other bearings I have tried that didn't perform as well:
Reds, Mini Logo, Autobahn, Churchill, VXB, Daddies Ceramic

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2019, 01:18:58 AM »
Expand Quote

How are those Zealous bearings?
[close]

Out of the box they are a bit slow.  The lube in them seems pretty thick. I was disappointed at first, but then as I rolled them longer they got faster. The thing I liked about them is that they seem to be sealed super well so they last.  They may not be as fast as my Swiss 6, but they are no maintenance and they haven't slowed down as they get older. With the built in spacers you can tighten them down and they are silent.  It's really odd to be in a super smooth park skating them because your board just sound so solid when you land. 

I have them sitting in a set of wheels I don't use any more.  Next time the bearings in one of my setups takes a shit I'll start using them again.   As far as cheap bearings go - they are the favorite I have tried.

Other bearings I have tried that didn't perform as well:
Reds, Mini Logo, Autobahn, Churchill, VXB, Daddies Ceramic

I like them. I think I have 4 sets in total. Initially the free spin isn’t very good but that is not a measure on their performance in skating at all. The lube stays good for a damn long time. Can be a bitch to clean though as it won’t come off easily at all.

I really like the built in spacer design. That’s the main reason I got them initially. I haven’t tried any other built in spacer bearings but as long as they don’t make Bones Race Swiss Six or something I see no need to either.

For the price, the Zealous are awesome.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2019, 02:39:08 AM »
Awesome thanks for the input guys. I have a set of those extended race bearings that came from a longboard I pulled out of the dumpster (and sold for $100 lol) and I like not having to mess with spacers and speed rings but the ones I have, I think they're called beast or beasto or something like that, were pretty lacking in performance. I didn't want to break them all the way down like I do with normal ones because I didn't know how easily I could reassemble them so I just soaked them in alcohol and speed creamed them. It helped but they were still pretty slow even with heavier cruiser wheels so I'm glad it's just a case of shitty bearings and not something inherent with that design.

DefyGravityGuy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
Hello guys

I currently have https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/flip-lance-mountain-doughboy-somersault-p2-skateboard-deck-9-x-325-pool-inc-free-griptape-17182-p.asp
setup with 159s and 60mm ML A-cut wheels(56 or so now)

I want either https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/birdhouse-hawk-gargoyle-9-375-deck-red_p129357 or https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/birdhouse-hawk-crest-9-75-deck-blue_p129358
my riding consists of like 70% bowls/halfpipe 30% flatland/ledge. WB of my current deck is 15 inch and I can do everything well with it. However do you guys reckon I can get used to 15.5 or 15.75 WB for flatland/ledges?

Both decks measure 9 inch and 8.5 inch front/back trucks respectively so I am guessing my 159s will work with both of these decks?

I like the hawk crest more but I guess the gargoyle is going to be more functional? Can't really choose between these two.

off-topic: my trucks nor wheels really need to be replaced but I have some extra cash which I could spend on F4's(don't know which shape yet) or ACE trucks. Would love to try one of these two things too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:43:14 AM by DefyGravityGuy »

Reese

« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
How are your rotations riding a 15wb? If you're confident fs and bs and ready to put more effort into rotating then sure go longer

I wasn't ready for the change when I put thunders on a 14.5 wb compaired to when I had ace..

I'd grab the garg because it's not much wider than what you're on and I like a less aggressive taper

Aces are great man

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »
However do you guys reckon I can get used to 15.5 or 15.75 WB for flatland/ledges?

Both of those have short noses.   Drill them to get a more palatable wheelbase and longer nose.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
Go with the one you are more stoked on.
Your skating will adjust to your setup, just don’t get frustrated if tricks don’t work like on the old setup, rethink and relearn or focus on other tricks (for the time being)

Also if you are on 159 Indys I would invest in f4s, aces might be nice but 159s are great too and not worst at all.
F4 compared to ml is a huge difference.
Shape wise i’d Recommend radial slim if you ride big wheels (55+)

PMA

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, it's a fun shape. Got one on my cruiser. Wide as fuck in the front and tapers a whole bunch in the back. The tail is really short which kinda threw me off at first but surprisingly it still ollies nicely without too much effort with 60 mm wheels and 1/8" risers.

Ace 55
Ricta Clouds 78A 60 mm
Zealous bearings
Diamond 1/8" risers
Girl rails
Grip
Bolts

Woah! this looks good! mind showing a top pic?