Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533920 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3630 on: July 30, 2021, 02:15:23 PM »
Seeing a lot of gold in here lately and I’m feeling very inadequate but here’s my crosspost from the set up thread.

Expand Quote
Just set up this bulldozer dildozer at my in-laws.

Anti Hero Gerwer/Hewitt conjoined twins 9” x 32.5” x 14.75” wb

Ace 55’s classics
Bones Big Balls
Spitfire F4 52mm tablets
Mob
Allen 7/8” bolts

[close]

great set up and thanks for the carpet shot. I try to posts all my set up photos on a Persian Rug, so I appreciate it.

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #3631 on: July 30, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
Had this one gripped for a bit (not my finest grip job), finally set it up.

Anti-Hero BA Lance Mountain 9.25
Ace 55s
Spit conical full 56
Bronson G3
Indy risers
Jessup

Also my non Persian rug.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3632 on: July 31, 2021, 03:33:42 AM »
Compared to the last bunch of boards posted here, this is bland af. However, after trying some different shapes I wanted to fuel my renewed love for flat, manuals, and ledges by going popsicle again. To celebrate the occasion, I went all in with Titaniums and a fresh set of Bones Swiss. This is the most luxurious board I have ever set up.

Jart Multipla 9" (going Heroin popsicles after this)
Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy cylinder 92a bushings (not sure about these)
Indy hardware
Mob grip

Fhk

« Reply #3633 on: July 31, 2021, 06:53:25 AM »
Compared to the last bunch of boards posted here, this is bland af. However, after trying some different shapes I wanted to fuel my renewed love for flat, manuals, and ledges by going popsicle again. To celebrate the occasion, I went all in with Titaniums and a fresh set of Bones Swiss. This is the most luxurious board I have ever set up.

Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy hardware
Mob grip

That's a wicked nice setup what's the dimensions on that deck bud?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3634 on: July 31, 2021, 07:17:55 AM »
A bit late on the response but thunder 161 are great, had to put dlx super Cush 94a barrel bushings on as the stock thunder are way too soft for my frame.
If you ride over 54mm you’re gonna need risers.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3635 on: July 31, 2021, 08:15:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy hardware
Mob grip

[close]

Thanks! Nice short WB compared to most 9" popsicles, only gripe is the shallow concave (hence my planned move to Heroin). Been skating plenty of these over the years without cracking one. HLC is solid.

Width: 9,0”
Height: 32,34”
Wheelbase: 14,2″
Tail: 6,84”
Nose: 7,11”

Fhk

« Reply #3636 on: July 31, 2021, 10:52:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy hardware
Mob grip

[close]
[close]

Thanks! Nice short WB compared to most 9" popsicles, only gripe is the shallow concave (hence my planned move to Heroin). Been skating plenty of these over the years without cracking one. HLC is solid.

Thank you bud! I saw those dimensions and was ready to search..but thank you for mentioning the mellow concave, because that's a dealbreaker for me unfortunately.. I need all the leverage I can get for flipping the big boy decks. Thanks again for replying!

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3637 on: July 31, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy hardware
Mob grip

[close]
[close]

[close]
Thank you bud! I saw those dimensions and was ready to search..but thank you for mentioning the mellow concave, because that's a dealbreaker for me unfortunately.. I need all the leverage I can get for flipping the big boy decks. Thanks again for replying!

Cheers, this one was an odd find of the last 9" popsicle Jart has done in a while, it’s sold out everywhere with no replacement. They used to be widely available all the time, which is why I was happy to run with it and deal with the shallow concave. I think the only HLC 9" popsicle that is currently available is the Sour Gustav Salmon one:

There appears to be plenty stock of the Craig Scott pro model from the Heroin Call of the Wild series, which has a deeper concave:

9.0 inch wide, 32.48 inch long, 14.25 inch wheelbase, 7.5 inch nose, 6.75 inch tail

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3638 on: July 31, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Can I have the full big boy experience if I get a 9 inch deck but use my 8.5 trucks? Maybe with a 3 speedrings on each inside? It might be just a one time thing so I don't really want to get new trucks, but I really want to try being a man for once

Fhk

« Reply #3639 on: July 31, 2021, 01:22:45 PM »
Can I have the full big boy experience if I get a 9 inch deck but use my 8.5 trucks? Maybe with a 3 speedrings on each inside? It might be just a one time thing so I don't really want to get new trucks, but I really want to try being a man for once
Never tried it..but tres and impossibles would be fun!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3640 on: July 31, 2021, 02:18:51 PM »
The age old question. What makes a man a man, the size of his deck, or the size of his truck

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3641 on: July 31, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »

Depending on the shape, there are plenty of 9"+ boards that you can run with 149s. Most 9"-9.25" football shapes taper to 8.5"-8.75" over the trucks. You can also run wider wheels. I have a Tired 9.25" that I use as a cruiser, and I run Indy 139s with it since the OJs I have on it are super wide.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3642 on: July 31, 2021, 11:47:11 PM »
The age old question. What makes a man a man, the size of his deck, or the size of his truck

the size of his curbs?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #3643 on: August 04, 2021, 05:13:58 AM »
**Crosspost from the set up thread**

My buddy knew I was doing some ditch skating today and gifted me a board he had gripped and put on ice. I appreciate the grip job just wish that it was in black, but I can not complain at all. Loving the size and shape and always appreciate a good friend hooking me up with some cool shit. I also was just in California visiting my brother and I was able to get some shit from his house that I had been storing since 2014 which is how I came up on the wheels and the old Indys.

Vagrant 9.5” x 32.5” double drilled 14.625” - 15.375” WB
Stage 10 Indy 159’s top bushing cut with no washers
OJ Matt Hensley Sweet Juice 58mm 99a
Shortys 1” bolts
Heroin 1/8” Risers
Rib Bones Rails
Mob Grip
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Fhk

« Reply #3644 on: August 04, 2021, 05:26:24 AM »
**Crosspost from the set up thread**

Expand Quote
My buddy knew I was doing some ditch skating today and gifted me a board he had gripped and put on ice. I appreciate the grip job just wish that it was in black, but I can not complain at all. Loving the size and shape and always appreciate a good friend hooking me up with some cool shit. I also was just in California visiting my brother and I was able to get some shit from his house that I had been storing since 2014 which is how I came up on the wheels and the old Indys.

Vagrant 9.5” x 32.5” double drilled 14.625” - 15.375” WB
Stage 10 Indy 159’s top bushing cut with no washers
OJ Matt Hensley Sweet Juice 58mm 99a
Shortys 1” bolts
Heroin 1/8” Risers
Rib Bones Rails
Mob Grip
[close]
That's a wicked nice shape, and how tf do you ride your trucks like that??  :o

animalflesh

« Reply #3645 on: August 04, 2021, 05:36:47 AM »
Look who’s on a set of Indy’s  :P

Setup looks so clean dude

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #3646 on: August 04, 2021, 05:56:48 AM »

They’re coming your way soon my dude! Sorry you gotta get new bushings though.

@Seventyfuhkinseven I don’t ride all of them that loose but I blame Matt Rodriquez. I normally only ride aces but will never cut down the bushings or remove washers, but still ride them jiggly loose. But I found those indys and will always get my front truck as loose as possible. I do keep my back truck a little bit tighter and keep the bottom washer on, but still jiggly.

Honestly, it’s pretty fun once you get used to it. It helps with slappys but it takes time and a few payments to the concrete tax, especially with transition. But it’s also my favorite flex when I let someone who is objectively way better than me ride my set up and they say some shit like wooooah how do you skate like this. It’s also a great excuse for not landing shit. “Oh man I totally would have had that if my shit was a little bit tighter, but I just can’t do it.”
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 06:09:14 AM by Freelancevagrant »
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Fhk

« Reply #3647 on: August 04, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They’re coming your way soon my dude! Sorry you gotta get new bushings though.

@Seventyfuhkinseven I don’t ride all of them that loose but I blame Matt Rodriquez. I normally only ride aces but will never cut down the bushings or remove washers, but still ride them jiggly loose. But I found those indys and will always get my front truck as loose as possible. I do keep my back truck a little bit tighter and keep the bottom washer on, but still jiggly.

Honestly, it’s pretty fun once you get used to it. It helps with slappys but it takes time and a few payments to the concrete tax, especially with transition. But it’s also my favorite flex when I let someone who is objectively way better than me ride my set up and they say some shit like wooooah how do you skate like this. It’s also a great excuse for not landing shit. “Oh man I totally would have had that if my shit was a little bit tighter, but I just can’t do it.”
Ha I'm going to have to try it so I can use that excuse! It truly is amazing to me that guys can ride them jiggly, I don't think I can even push my wheels to the board by hand  :-[

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3648 on: August 05, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »

Antihero BA Lance 9.25”, wb 14.375”
Pig rails
Ace AF1 66s
Real 3ply risers
Bones Swiss Six
Spitfire Formula Four 54mm Conical Full 97A
Jessup Ultragrip & some clear & red grip bits
Thunder 1” Allen hardware

I absolutely love this board. I pretty much only bought it for the graphics. Figured I’d hang it on the wall and maybe use it for a cruiser later on. I set it up the day I got it and have been having a blast on it.

I used to skate 8.375” & 8.5” popsicles but now I’m not so sure anymore. I also thought that I’d have to have at least 14.5” wheelbase. Turns out shorter works just fine too, at least on a wider setup.

The Spits have also been really nice here in Finland with the rough asphalt. They’re in dire need of replacing though. Worn down to about 49 mm. Also my Swiss are in dire need of cleaning so I’m feeling a bit too slow for my taste these days. Sadly the 58mm 97A Conical Fulls never seemed to reach Finland, only 54mm.

Gonna clean the bearings and replace the wheels with something bigger and probably enjoy this board for a bit longer. I’ve got a bunch of big boards waiting though and an even bigger bunch of small popsicles that I’m kinda worried about now.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:55:54 PM by Roisto »

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3649 on: August 05, 2021, 07:23:35 PM »

Orange Eagle, stamped “I”, Classic 55s and F4 99 Classics worn down to about 50mm. This thing is much longer than my 9” Polar I was just on, but it feels good.  I was skating a deck with a 14”wb like 4 months ago and this fucker is 15” haha.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:57:19 PM by chris. »

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3651 on: August 06, 2021, 01:49:17 AM »
Just scored some of these:

JAKE SNELLING - AGGRESSION SESSION 10" SIGNATURE MODEL (blastskates.com)

Wow, that’s a radical shape! I am awaiting one of their 9.5" eggs, really curious about the quality of the wood.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3652 on: August 06, 2021, 02:22:34 AM »

Wow, that’s a radical shape! I am awaiting one of their 9.5" eggs, really curious about the quality of the wood.

I had several Blasts before. Can't complain about the wood

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3653 on: August 06, 2021, 05:05:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had several Blasts before. Can't complain about the wood

Sick, cannot wait.

animalflesh

« Reply #3654 on: August 06, 2021, 06:23:29 AM »
Want that snelling board bad

Fhk

« Reply #3655 on: August 06, 2021, 07:15:26 AM »

Orange Eagle, stamped “I”, Classic 55s and F4 99 Classics worn down to about 50mm. This thing is much longer than my 9” Polar I was just on, but it feels good.  I was skating a deck with a 14”wb like 4 months ago and this fucker is 15” haha.
Is there a huge difference with such a big wb? I go on 9" pop kicks all the time and I am always too chickenshit to try one of these. I have it in my head that I will lose my fliptricks  for some reason. The AH 9's seem like they are always available too..that is definitely not the case for Polar 9" pops.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3656 on: August 06, 2021, 07:30:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is there a huge difference with such a big wb? I go on 9" pop kicks all the time and I am always too chickenshit to try one of these. I have it in my head that I will lose my fliptricks  for some reason. The AH 9's seem like they are always available too..that is definitely not the case for Polar 9" pops.

Same, been staying away from anything above 14.5" WB. Maybe worth a try, but I am worried it will feel clunky.

chris.

« Reply #3657 on: August 06, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »

Exactly the reason I wanted to try the AH. I just want to know if I’ll be able to rely on this shape or if I’m gonna have to wait on Polar drops/try to find other alternatives.

After one session at the curbs last night and one at the park today, I really don’t notice a giant difference.  All my standard tricks work and feel good, except for kickflips - BUT i blame that on the shoes. I’m still trying to get used to the flick on shelltoes. They went to shit on my Polar too as soon as I switched to these Pro Models (and I was doing the best kickflips of my life on that Polar with my Fastbreaks.) I’m confident I can get the kickflips worked out.

I had been working on bs/fs flips and 360 flips a lot recently but have not tried those on the AH, it could be a disaster once I do but I gotta figure out the flick with these shoes first.

I think it’s worth noting I’m 6’5” and all legs.

Fhk

« Reply #3658 on: August 06, 2021, 01:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly the reason I wanted to try the AH. I just want to know if I’ll be able to rely on this shape or if I’m gonna have to wait on Polar drops/try to find other alternatives.

After one session at the curbs last night and one at the park today, I really don’t notice a giant difference.  All my standard tricks work and feel good, except for kickflips - BUT i blame that on the shoes. I’m still trying to get used to the flick on shelltoes. They went to shit on my Polar too as soon as I switched to these Pro Models (and I was doing the best kickflips of my life on that Polar with my Fastbreaks.) I’m confident I can get the kickflips worked out.

I had been working on bs/fs flips and 360 flips a lot recently but have not tried those on the AH, it could be a disaster once I do but I gotta figure out the flick with these shoes first.

I think it’s worth noting I’m 6’5” and all legs.
Thanks for the insight man, I am finishing a 9" Polar right now. Next is a 9" stump which I am excited about, but I know those are rare too so I think I will try the AH after.
Btw if the shelltoes are messing with your flick (like they did mine) try adjusting the angle of your front foot (really pointed towards the nose)for kick flips and scoot it way back for tre's. I think it makes the rubber cap catch less on the grip maybe? Idk but It worked for me so I figured I would pass it along!

chris.

« Reply #3659 on: August 07, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »
That tip with the shelltoes worked like a charm @Seventyfuhkinseven Quick session before work this morning and I’m loving the board and shoes now. Thanks homie!