Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533803 times)

Bristol_Palin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3960 on: October 05, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »
I bought this board and re drilled the wb but it felt weird so said screw it and skated it as intended .
Girl Simon love seat
Indy 159 w/mid kingpins and 94a hard Indy bushings
Spitfire f4 99a 53mm og classic
Super Swiss 6
Bender hardware
Jessup scraps
Lil jawn rails

Board in action for my late 40’s 4 trick self
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUoIpJaJz3y/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sick clips, man! In the streets looking good.

I have a Simon love seat that I picked up and skated for a bit too and I thought the shape was very lovely. Did you try and make the wheelbase shorter? I like the 13.875, but what did you try changing it too?

Also thank you, @GBLange ! It took me a while to figure out what you meant by subscribed, lol. I use youtube to post clips on slap, but I may have to make a big five subscriber jamboree celebration video!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3961 on: October 05, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »
I re drilled it to 14.25 but it felt off.
Also I have short legs Thom so the length didn’t bother me.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3962 on: October 05, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »
I re drilled it to 14.25 but it felt off.
Also I have short legs Thom so the length didn’t bother me.
Thanks for trying the redrill on the loveseat. I was gonna try that if I couldn't find something with a 14.25wb

Short leg gang we out here
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #3963 on: October 07, 2021, 08:11:46 AM »

Just got the Curb Killer Meme Contest deck in the mail and I'm having a fierce internal debate about if I should or shouldn't skate this one. Looks way too fun to keep stocked to be honest...
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3964 on: October 07, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
Wheel wells! You have to skate that thing at some point. Hang until next summer and then shred.

djoekr

« Reply #3965 on: October 07, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »
Wheel wells! You have to skate that thing at some point. Hang until next summer and then shred.

It's probably not even gonna last till then, way too hyped to set it up. The plan right now is to first skate my 9.5 Craig Questions deck until it's dust, then skate this one and hang it after it's trashed. I got a quick sketched egg and my name in Fos' font so I already got something to remember the moment, might as well use it for it's intended purpose.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3966 on: October 07, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
There is no way I wouldn't skate that one. Have fun!

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3967 on: October 07, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
crosspost from the set up thread

This is my second dane 1, hated it the first time around, but this time it's sick. Got the 60mm slime balls on it and, surprisingly, wheel bite is totally manageable without risers. Still getting used to how small it is though, the traffic popsicle I had set up before was like 32.5" with a 14.75 WB so it's a big adjustment. I'm greatly enjoying the tiny wheelbase though, all my shuvs and flips just whip right around.

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3968 on: October 07, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but looking for a board shape with a really big nose, or even a board with a long enough WB that redrilling the holes wouldn't make it feel crazy short.  Open to modification suggestions to make noseslide popovers work a little better on wider curbs...

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3969 on: October 07, 2021, 11:34:47 AM »
Hockey/FA 8.5 board.

Noses are HUGE!!!

I'd even say try the 9.0 board, but I read somewhere on Slap that the 9" shape isn't like normal Hockey/FA shapes.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #3970 on: October 07, 2021, 11:39:55 AM »
AH orange eagle has a 7” nose. Downside is it’s a bit on the heavy side compared to other 9” pops I’ve skated

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3971 on: October 07, 2021, 03:37:52 PM »

Just got the Curb Killer Meme Contest deck in the mail and I'm having a fierce internal debate about if I should or shouldn't skate this one. Looks way too fun to keep stocked to be honest...

set it up !!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3972 on: October 07, 2021, 06:20:53 PM »
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but looking for a board shape with a really big nose, or even a board with a long enough WB that redrilling the holes wouldn't make it feel crazy short.  Open to modification suggestions to make noseslide popovers work a little better on wider curbs...

What other dimensions are you looking for?

As the other posts above, there are a few options, AH and FA / Hockey, Black Label (all BBS) with others like Polar boards having shorter / more proportionate wheelbases with still having decent long noses over 7".

Eg the Antihero orange eagle (and other 9.0" graphics on the same shape) are about this (from Tactics) but I have quite a few and they are definitely big and long all over:

WIDTH (IN):   9.0
LENGTH (IN):   33.25
WHEELBASE (IN):   15.0
NOSE (IN):   7.25
TAIL (IN):   6.75

* Heard the Hockey / FA board in 9.0 is the same shape and dimensions, but haven't seen one in person.

europa1991

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3973 on: October 07, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »
Probably showing my ignorance here but what’s the appeal of sizing up and skating a larger (larger to me being anything above a 8.5) set up? Just curious because I’m considering trying it out because I’m just starting to feel bored of my consistent set up

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3974 on: October 07, 2021, 08:53:07 PM »
Probably showing my ignorance here but what’s the appeal of sizing up and skating a larger (larger to me being anything above a 8.5) set up? Just curious because I’m considering trying it out because I’m just starting to feel bored of my consistent set up

For me, the bigger set ups feel more stable and I like having the extra space for my feet when I’m cruising. Trick wise, I like the extra truck space for ledge tricks, though they are harder to pop and flip.

I’m not sure why, but to me it also feels more fun going super fast on big boards.

djoekr

« Reply #3975 on: October 07, 2021, 10:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

set it up !!

Gotcha, ordered griptape and rails and can't wait to bring it out on my local curb spot.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3976 on: October 08, 2021, 01:55:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me, the bigger set ups feel more stable and I like having the extra space for my feet when I’m cruising. Trick wise, I like the extra truck space for ledge tricks, though they are harder to pop and flip.

I’m not sure why, but to me it also feels more fun going super fast on big boards.

Yes, definitely feeling way more stable for almost everything (except tech for my lazy legs) but I never worry about weight on any of my boards.

From having my regular setups at 8.38 and 8.5, but also having any number of bigger setups which are fun for a whole lot of things, including but not limited to pump tracks, cruising around when not feeling like skating too hard, recovering from injury, going fast board, slappy curb or similar type of stuff and of course as a lot of people will have a smaller board for tech, then a larger board for transition, bowl, vert, or whatever else they want to skate more so in the parks, bowls, ramps category.

A big board can still do everything a smaller board can too, with more space to land on, if you get used to it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3977 on: October 08, 2021, 04:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

set it up !!

I have noticed that egg shaped boards have become pretty popular in the past few years. What's the deal with them, I am very curious. Are they especially fun for curb skating or flatground? Do they serve a certain purpose, do you guys who ride them use them only for special terrain or all the time?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3978 on: October 08, 2021, 04:44:55 AM »
The scoop on eggs just hits different. Since they taper so much over the trucks and through the kicks, they also flip more like a small board while still giving you the wide board landing space.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #3979 on: October 08, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »
Board I just set up was warped. Set this up instead.
Merde 9.125 one off
Tensor Mag 149
Stainless risers
Swiss
Boardy Cakes 99a 48.5 (going small for a change)

animalflesh

« Reply #3980 on: October 08, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »
Digging that

europa1991

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3981 on: October 09, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, definitely feeling way more stable for almost everything (except tech for my lazy legs) but I never worry about weight on any of my boards.

From having my regular setups at 8.38 and 8.5, but also having any number of bigger setups which are fun for a whole lot of things, including but not limited to pump tracks, cruising around when not feeling like skating too hard, recovering from injury, going fast board, slappy curb or similar type of stuff and of course as a lot of people will have a smaller board for tech, then a larger board for transition, bowl, vert, or whatever else they want to skate more so in the parks, bowls, ramps category.

A big board can still do everything a smaller board can too, with more space to land on, if you get used to it.
I’m sold. Been looking at getting one of the Girl couch shapes. What size Aces would anyone recommend?

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #3982 on: October 09, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »
I’m out of my element when it comes to big boards so I feel like this is the right spot to ask

Planning on ordering the Lasek Powell re-issue and I got a pair of Thunder 161s that were given and I was wondering with the shape of the tail will they stick out? Feel like Ace AF1 66s (or any 8.75 truck for that matter) will fit better. Gonna be using it for primarily cruising and the occasional slappys.

Photo of board

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #3983 on: October 09, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I’m sold. Been looking at getting one of the Girl couch shapes. What size Aces would anyone recommend?

currrently riding the couch shape with 55classics.just a little nut showing on the rear trucks.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3984 on: October 10, 2021, 03:12:02 AM »
I’m out of my element when it comes to big boards so I feel like this is the right spot to ask

Planning on ordering the Lasek Powell re-issue and I got a pair of Thunder 161s that were given and I was wondering with the shape of the tail will they stick out? Feel like Ace AF1 66s (or any 8.75 truck for that matter) will fit better. Gonna be using it for primarily cruising and the occasional slappys.

Photo of board

I'm almost positive that 9" hangers will stick out in front of the Lasek's fish tail. I have a couple of decks in similar shapes, and I always have to put 8.5"-8.75" at most on them.

Great looking shape though!

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3985 on: October 10, 2021, 05:22:32 PM »

10.34x30.54. 15"WB
MOB
159 ti indy
99a 54mm conical full
 Tapers over the back truck down to 8.25"

I was afraid to get this because of the 15"wb but I was wrong it feels great with the wb (still tre flips great and high pop) for reference i usually skate 14-14.25" wb
I thinks its the crazy concave that makes it work so well
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:51:57 PM by Skrotum »

Slappys Nightmare

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3986 on: October 12, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »

THAT EGG BELONGS TO ME.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #3987 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:35 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for decks to use with 215’s? Ideally, with a 14”-14.25 wheelbase. I’d get a heroin 10” egg, but can’t find one for sale online. I am open to redrilling wheelbases. Im leaning towards an egg or popsicle shape. I searched for the 35th ave 10” popsicle as well, but they are out of stock.
Thanks in advance

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3988 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:42 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for decks to use with 215’s? Ideally, with a 14”-14.25 wheelbase. I’d get a heroin 10” egg, but can’t find one for sale online. I am open to redrilling wheelbases. Im leaning towards an egg or popsicle shape. I searched for the 35th ave 10” popsicle as well, but they are out of stock.
Thanks in advance

Life Skateboards "twin football" shape. 10" width with a 14.5" WB that can easily be re-drilled.

I see the Wide Boiz IG (and other curb IGs) promoting that brand.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3989 on: October 13, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »

They wouldn't have signed it under the wheels if they wanted you to hang it.