Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533752 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4890 on: July 20, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone skated the Krooked Frame Face 9.81 x 32 yet?

Just ordered one but can't seem to find any measurements of the width over the front + back trucks, here's to hoping I have a pair of trucks that fit - guessing 66 Classics should be ok.
[close]
There's a lot of talk in this thread about that shape where we refer to it as the Sweatpants shape. Now that I think of it, I dunno if that was ever official or if that name just stuck because it used to always have the sweatpants graphic on it.

To save you a bit of trouble, I would say don't go any bigger than AF1 66/Classic 55/169 etc. It's just under 9" over the back trucks and the widest point is just under the front bolts. I rode it with 169s and it was very nice.

This has also been a super useful tool. Shoutout to the OG poster who's name escapes me:
https://eleif.net/photo_measure.html

I skated two of those with 169s and really liked that combination.  That might be the ideal wheelbase and nose/tail length for my height or something but I found that setup to have great pop. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4891 on: July 20, 2022, 08:37:09 PM »
I really liked the Sweat pants with 159s. Very agile considering its width and shape. I liked it a lot.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #4892 on: July 20, 2022, 11:03:11 PM »
Got a sweatpants deck for a transition setup. Loved the overall shape, but I needed something with a bit more wheelbase for riding transition.

Ended up getting the Santa Cruz Eric Dressen deck that's the same shape but with a 14.6WB and I love it.

Turned the Sweatpants deck into a curb board with rails and small wheels. So much fun.

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4893 on: July 21, 2022, 07:09:37 PM »
Posted this in the setup thread too but it fits here

Full Christmas complete status on this one - someone broke a window in my car the other week and stole my last big boy set up so I wanted a fresh start. Got pretty much all of it on sale too.

Drkrm 9” with Jessup
Indy 169s
Spitfire classic F4s 56mm
Mini logo bearings

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4894 on: July 22, 2022, 06:59:07 AM »
New Polar drops got a lot of good big stuff.  RIP to my savings account. 

yakusoku

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4895 on: July 22, 2022, 10:23:03 AM »
Powell Peralta Steve Saiz 10"
Independent 169 Stage 11
The Portland Wheel James Martin 55mm 101A
Bones Reds
Pig 1/8" risers
Independent bolts

My new set up after 13 years without skating. My 5y/o son and wife chose the board and wheels (but I paid) and I chose the trucks and so on. I haven't bought a grip yet. I skated from 1999 to 2009 and always used 8" or 8,25" popsicles. But I started skating with an old school skate, more toy than a real skateboard. Now, I want to skate again and I want to remember those wonderful years so I accepted the board my family chose for me. No nose at all and 10". I've read the whole thread and sometimes it have been answered but I would like to ask for myself. Do you think I can do my old tricks (heelflip, shove it, fakie fs shove it, ollie, frontside, pressure 360 flip, impossible, halfcab heelflip, some basic grabs...) with this set up? I also would like to learn some new tricks like ollie north, wallride and grinding curbs. I did a little bit of research and found some guys using wide boards killing it. They can do everything but of course, they play in another league. What do you think about this set up? Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 10:32:08 AM by yakusoku »

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4896 on: July 22, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »

Managed to get a Krooked Phantom from my local. 8.0 across the front trucks, 8.5 across the back trucks, >10.0 at the widest point. Does this count as a big board? Debating whether to set this up for fun or put it on the wall next to the Grimple Nighthammer

Great score! Been wanting one of these or a beamer forever, still hoping for a beamer someday.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4897 on: July 22, 2022, 11:35:38 AM »
Independent 169 Stage 11
Bones Reds
Pig 1/8" risers
Independent bolts

My new set up after 13 years without skating. My 5y/o son and wife chose the board and wheels (but I paid) and I chose the trucks and so on. I haven't bought a grip yet. I skated from 1999 to 2009 and always used 8" or 8,25" popsicles. But I started skating with an old school skate, more toy than a real skateboard. Now, I want to skate again and I want to remember those wonderful years so I accepted the board my family chose for me. No nose at all and 10". I've read the whole thread and sometimes it have been answered but I would like to ask for myself. Do you think I can do my old tricks (heelflip, shove it, fakie fs shove it, ollie, frontside, pressure 360 flip, impossible, halfcab heelflip, some basic grabs...) with this set up? I also would like to learn some new tricks like ollie north, wallride and grinding curbs. I did a little bit of research and found some guys using wide boards killing it. They can do everything but of course, they play in another league. What do you think about this set up? Thank you!

100% yes, I have the same deck with slightly different parts and it's doable to do the same tricks you've learned on a popsicle. It'll take time getting used to the shape but once you do you'll have it on lock.

Christopher Hiett is a prime example of this. https://instagram.com/christopherhiett?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #4898 on: July 22, 2022, 06:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Independent 169 Stage 11
Bones Reds
Pig 1/8" risers
Independent bolts

[close]

100% yes, I have the same deck with slightly different parts and it's doable to do the same tricks you've learned on a popsicle. It'll take time getting used to the shape but once you do you'll have it on lock.

Christopher Hiett is a prime example of this. https://instagram.com/christopherhiett?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
This.
Just be aware 13 years is a long time and you’re probably not going to get back what you had. Just realize that, have fun, and you’ll be fine.

yakusoku

« Reply #4899 on: July 22, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »

Thank you! In fact, he is one of the skaters I saw on Youtube when looking for skaters who use this deck. He's impressive! It's going to be a fun trip re-learning with this set up.

yakusoku

« Reply #4900 on: July 22, 2022, 07:17:35 PM »
This.
Just be aware 13 years is a long time and you’re probably not going to get back what you had. Just realize that, have fun, and you’ll be fine.

Of course! I've skated from time to time those last years and could land some heelflips, shove its and basic stuff. I have a 8" Evisen Shinpei Ueno complete at home. My son is going to use that set up and I want to keep him company with my new set up :D I'm 35 and my knees hurt sometimes so no more stairs, ledges... just tricks on flat and some old school early grabs.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4901 on: July 23, 2022, 01:48:01 PM »
Corey Duffel has another Dream Girl shape coming out with his name on it, this time on Welcome. He put a short run out on Adored earlier this year and in the ad copy on his site he talked about borrowing the shape and getting sign off from JK to use it. The Welcome product description doesn't mention which shape it is but it used to hint, as of last night, that it was well known. Weirdly enough, today it just says custom shape designed by Corey lol. Anyway, I love the shape and am psyched for it to be back in circulation even if it is a sketchy ass Welcome drop.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/corey-duffel-on-blixa-black-9-25
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #4902 on: July 24, 2022, 01:50:22 PM »
Ive had indy 149s w risers and 60mms cruiser wheels on a old Dane for awhile, just threw on some keyframes and it's fun as hell for curbs. Easy to control and all that
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

animalflesh

« Reply #4903 on: July 24, 2022, 06:31:14 PM »
Corey Duffel has another Dream Girl shape coming out with his name on it, this time on Welcome. He put a short run out on Adored earlier this year and in the ad copy on his site he talked about borrowing the shape and getting sign off from JK to use it. The Welcome product description doesn't mention which shape it is but it used to hint, as of last night, that it was well known. Weirdly enough, today it just says custom shape designed by Corey lol. Anyway, I love the shape and am psyched for it to be back in circulation even if it is a sketchy ass Welcome drop.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/corey-duffel-on-blixa-black-9-25

Typical Jason Celaya ego

Board looks good and I love Corey

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4904 on: July 24, 2022, 07:52:43 PM »

Built a fresh piece just to shake it up:

Antihero Green Giant
Indy 169s
Bones Hard Bushings
Powell G-Slide 59s
Bones Reds
Thunder 1-1/8” hardware
Indy 1/8 risers
Jessup

As a rule I usually only run white wheels but these were a gift from my daughter and now I actually really like how they look so jokes on me.

Just got it together and did a lap around the block just to shake it down. Feels really nice so far.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #4905 on: July 25, 2022, 06:06:58 AM »

Antihero Green Giant
Indy 169s
Bones Hard Bushings
Powell G-Slide 59s
Bones Reds
Thunder 1-1/8” hardware
Indy 1/8 risers
Jessup

As a rule I usually only run white wheels but these were a gift from my daughter and now I actually really like how they look so jokes on me.

Just got it together and did a lap around the block just to shake it down. Feels really nice so far.

nice setup

PRISON IKE

« Reply #4906 on: July 25, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Antihero Green Giant
Indy 169s
Bones Hard Bushings
Powell G-Slide 59s
Bones Reds
Thunder 1-1/8” hardware
Indy 1/8 risers
Jessup

[close]

nice setup
I appreciate it. Just gonna go monster truck over everything and act like I don’t know nobody.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4907 on: July 25, 2022, 12:38:28 PM »
Has anybody re-drilled the wb on a loveseat/couch? My couch is unskateble for me with ace trucks, but drilling the tail 0.5" shorter might just be good?
Short wb, 3-4 fingers of flat and the long mellow tail is kinda insane with ace. zero leverage.

Update, I redrilled both nose and tail 0.375" shorter. From a 13.875 to a 14.625 wheelbase and it's the best decision I've ever made. Sickest board ever, absolutely loving it now. Baby suddenly got pop

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4908 on: July 25, 2022, 07:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anybody re-drilled the wb on a loveseat/couch? My couch is unskateble for me with ace trucks, but drilling the tail 0.5" shorter might just be good?
Short wb, 3-4 fingers of flat and the long mellow tail is kinda insane with ace. zero leverage.
[close]

Update, I redrilled both nose and tail 0.375" shorter. From a 13.875 to a 14.625 wheelbase and it's the best decision I've ever made. Sickest board ever, absolutely loving it now. Baby suddenly got pop

The kicks are not too quick from where the bolts are?

That really says something for how long the mold is that they used, so a more normal wheelbase on that sort of board could really be something that worked better than the shorter one.

Someone like @Frank and Fred who has had all those Crail options could see if they were the same mold from Couch to Phawt but I would think they would be using different molds for different lengths, but who knows.

Edit:

I can definitely see a lot of flat from the bolts to the kicks on that pic anyway.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:18:02 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4909 on: July 25, 2022, 08:32:26 PM »
My solution for the Couch being so squirrelly with Aces is.... Thunders...

Couch works real good with 151s.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4910 on: July 26, 2022, 12:48:46 AM »
Why not just get a Huffer at that point though?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4911 on: July 26, 2022, 03:35:38 AM »
Why not just get a Huffer at that point though?

Because I didn't know these decks come with a hand of flat instead of fingers. It's ridiculous. I'd need some forged ventures for that but damn me if I buy more trucks.

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4912 on: July 26, 2022, 01:50:45 PM »

Powell Peralta Ripper
Indy 159
97a 53MM slimeball mini vomit
Powell rib bones
Bones swiss
1/8” riser

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4913 on: July 26, 2022, 05:16:54 PM »

Powell Peralta Ripper
Indy 159
Powell rib bones
Bones swiss
1/8” riser

Gorgeous. That VCJ skull is like a portal into my child mind

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4914 on: July 29, 2022, 07:29:34 AM »
Expand Quote

Powell Peralta Ripper
Indy 159
Powell rib bones
Bones swiss
1/8” riser
[close]

Gorgeous. That VCJ skull is like a portal into my child mind

Flip them back shits so the rail lines up with the pink half of the wheel.

PRISON IKE

« Reply #4915 on: July 29, 2022, 02:07:36 PM »

New signature just for the wholesomeness

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #4916 on: July 31, 2022, 07:12:28 AM »

10" Frankie Hill Powell reissue from last year
Ace 66 Classics mounted at the shorter 14" WB
55mm Spitfire Classics
random mix of bearings
Indy 1/8 riders

I feel like a superhero riding this thing. can't explain it

PRISON IKE

« Reply #4917 on: July 31, 2022, 05:15:37 PM »

10" Frankie Hill Powell reissue from last year
Ace 66 Classics mounted at the shorter 14" WB
55mm Spitfire Classics
random mix of bearings
Indy 1/8 riders

I feel like a superhero riding this thing. can't explain it

Hell yeah that think is fucking amazing.

oldfart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4918 on: August 02, 2022, 01:56:44 PM »
chocolate 9.25 couch shape
ace 55
swiss
perus 53mm

skated a heroin big egg 9.15 before. compared to the egg the couch has no concave at all. its so flat.
wheels also felt really soft today compared to spitfire f4 on my other setup.
I really dig the 55ers even with original bushings.
felt like skating a big cruiser today. fun though.  :o

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #4919 on: August 02, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »
Crailtap has the 2 for 80 deal going with griptape and free shipping. They have the 9.12 phawt shape and the 9.2t couch shape available to pick...thinking of snagging one of each for the deal. Thought id share if anyone is interested in those 2 shapes!

[q1uote author=oldfart link=topic=97297.msg3837608#msg3837608 date=1659473804]
chocolate 9.25 couch shape
ace 55
swiss
perus 53mm

skated a heroin big egg 9.15 before. compared to the egg the couch has no concave at all. its so flat.
wheels also felt really soft today compared to spitfire f4 on my other setup.
I really dig the 55ers even with original bushings.
felt like skating a big cruiser today. fun though.  :o
[/quote]