Author Topic: Sheckler of meth  (Read 23827 times)

Wizard Fight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
Re: Sheckler of meth
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »
Full disclosure, I didn't read most of this last page of posts but I wanted to point out that if you go to an AA meeting and share, you say you're an alcoholic. A lot of ex-heroin addicts or crackheads or whatever use the AA format for their recovery. One usually just refers to all their chemical dependency issues as the disease of alcoholism. Old timers and whatever other people sometimes say they're alcoholics and addicts, but I think people more and more realize that it's unnecessary.

In NA literature they essentially replace 'alcoholism' with 'addiction', and since addiction is the issue, not the substance, people commonly just refer to everything as 'dope' or 'drugs' or 'using'.

In CA and HA and whatever, drugs are specifically mentioned.

And lastly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk around addiction to pain medication in skateboarding. Severe injuries are mad common in skating. I remember Mike Mo talking about having to wean himself off of oxycontin but he basically just described it as a physical dependency, not full-blown abuse and addiction.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
It's alot different when you need it. After my injury I needed morphine and later percs.

But I hated that shit. I did what I had to do and got off asap
Gentleman ninja warlock

coupedepill

• Rep: 21
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2017, 05:59:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am an alcohlic and it's straight up murdering me slowly. The soberiety thing is still weird though. Ok you got clean, so what? With that being stated, Sheckler's kickflip on that gap was and still is iconic.
[close]
The beauty of sobriety is you have time -- not in a cheesy "this is the first day of the rest of your life" sense, but in a "I have so much time on my hands, I don't know what to do with myself" type of way. It's a blessing and a curse, since so much free time can lead you back to the bottle, but if you can stick with it and fill that time with worthwhile pursuits, it's a blast. Ever since I quit drinking, I've been skating more, tackling more creative projects, and picked up a few new hobbies along the way. Good luck to you if/when you quit drinking.
[close]

Absolutely this.
[close]

yep, i deepfully regret drinking heavily during what was my prime, wasting 10 years of my life, but after 3 years sober i was the best i'd ever been at skating.
i feel bad for shecks he got thrown into a fucking weird situation, i remember when that MTV show came out i was like this kid is gonna commit suicide, his parents are fucked and they were putting all this pressure on him and the white trash that won the lottery with their son lifestyle was too sad for me.
dont become famous, delete your instagram go skate and meet people in real life, dont learn 540's or inverts

I'm really feeling the last line of the post. I think I agree with u 100% but can u clarify on why you think you shouldn't learn 540's or inverts.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2017, 03:18:09 AM »
Full disclosure, I didn't read most of this last page of posts but I wanted to point out that if you go to an AA meeting and share, you say you're an alcoholic. A lot of ex-heroin addicts or crackheads or whatever use the AA format for their recovery. One usually just refers to all their chemical dependency issues as the disease of alcoholism. Old timers and whatever other people sometimes say they're alcoholics and addicts, but I think people more and more realize that it's unnecessary.

In NA literature they essentially replace 'alcoholism' with 'addiction', and since addiction is the issue, not the substance, people commonly just refer to everything as 'dope' or 'drugs' or 'using'.

And lastly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk around addiction to pain medication in skateboarding. Severe injuries are mad common in skating. I remember Mike Mo talking about having to wean himself off of oxycontin but he basically just described it as a physical dependency, not full-blown abuse and addiction.

Indeed. I have to say something about the NA litterature, though. They describe step 6-7 in greater detail that the Big Book in AA, but 8-9 are somewhat strange in Basic Text. However, from my personal experience, very few people in NA actually do the steps and those who do are very sloooow.

I don't want to start a bunch of bullshit about AA vs. NA. vs CA. If it works for you, go ahead.

AA worked for me because I was broken as fuck and was willing to do something about my situation. One could argue that if you are willing enough, any program will do.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »

Getting over an oxy addiction sucks, but it's pretty manageable if you don't have a psychological dependency and you're only getting over the physical withdrawals. It's like being sick for a long weekend and you're back to normal in that case, but it's a thousand times worse if you're mentally hooked on them...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2017, 11:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Getting over an oxy addiction sucks, but it's pretty manageable if you don't have a psychological dependency and you're only getting over the physical withdrawals. It's like being sick for a long weekend and you're back to normal in that case, but it's a thousand times worse if you're mentally hooked on them...

One of those "Sounds good, doesn't work" kind of deals. But yes, some normal people get on painkillers (after a surgury) and get off them, no problem.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2017, 12:46:50 AM »
It is scary how doctors in the States prescribe serious drugs to ease the pain. I had numerous operations and accidents and all I was given was some paracetamol. Whenever I read a thread about injuries, there are people discussing their difficulties getting of painkillers. I have never met anyone who had this problem, yet it is very prominent in SLAP. What is going on, its like entering a new world.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indeed. I have to say something about the NA litterature, though. They describe step 6-7 in greater detail that the Big Book in AA, but 8-9 are somewhat strange in Basic Text. However, from my personal experience, very few people in NA actually do the steps and those who do are very sloooow.

I don't want to start a bunch of bullshit about AA vs. NA. vs CA. If it works for you, go ahead.

AA worked for me because I was broken as fuck and was willing to do something about my situation. One could argue that if you are willing enough, any program will do.

All I wanna say is you da real mvp. <3