Author Topic: Chicago spots  (Read 1813 times)

SlapReviewer18

Chicago spots
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »
whats your favorite Chicago skate spots, new or old, Bust or not

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: Chicago spots
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
Wrong subforum, but my favorite Chicago spot is either Clemente or the curb over the drain at Logan, or Lane Tech simply because I went there

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • illinoying
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
Chase plaza is THE best spot in Chicago , everything you could want stairs, handrail, ledges ,wallrides flatbars, jet ledge

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »
Never been, but I remember a small write-up about 'The Firehole' in Thrasher in the mid-90s. I was a wee-lad and they talked about how locals kept this spot a secret and that you will never find it if  you visited Chicago. I had never considered spots being a secret, coveted treasure until that moment. Just one of those experiences getting exposed to a new side of the culture and I loved it.

Found this photo of the spot:

Edit: if you can make it through the bad song, this is the only video I could find of the spot using the googly. Last clip. Shows a little more of the spot than the photo.

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1320199369656210080_17139015
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:52:25 AM by happenstance »

SlapReviewer18

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
Wrong subforum, but my favorite Chicago spot is either Clemente or the curb over the drain at Logan, or Lane Tech simply because I went there
Thanks. Ill try to change it

SlapReviewer18

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »
Never been, but I remember a small write-up about 'The Firehole' in Thrasher in the mid-90s. I was a wee-lad and they talked about how locals kept this spot a secret and that you will never find it if  you visited Chicago. I had never considered spots being a secret, coveted treasure until that moment. Just one of those experiences getting exposed to a new side of the culture and I loved it.

Edit: if you can make it through the bad song, this is the only video I could find of the spot using the googly. Last clip. Shows a little more of the spot than the photo.

Thanks ill look into it

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »

Jeez I've never seen that spot before, would be surprised if it's still around considering the upkeep it would need to keep those bricks in place. Could be wrong and it's just a mystery til this day, haha. It looks so cool though!

I've always liked the Pershing barrier and the little bank you can grind the top of at the Mercedes-Benz dealership. Not necessarily classic spots, but they're a lot of fun.

shark tits

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:23:27 PM »
met this guy alan who put us up in the 10th floor of a 30 story building w/ a jewels on the first floor. for anyways, he was security and i was panhandling outside w/ a gf [2010] and he took us upstairs to crash out, do laundry cause i had a skateboard.
i think he was wasted on the clock, he called jonny fonseca and put him on the phone [i'd met him at a demo in 96] and told me that 'if we caught an out of state skater at fireside, we'd jump you. we'd beat the shit outta you.'
so that's the story of the firehouse. it was 'locals only' and it's now defunct to gentrificiation.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jeez I've never seen that spot before, would be surprised if it's still around considering the upkeep it would need to keep those bricks in place. Could be wrong and it's just a mystery til this day, haha. It looks so cool though!

I've always liked the Pershing barrier and the little bank you can grind the top of at the Mercedes-Benz dealership. Not necessarily classic spots, but they're a lot of fun.

It's funny but I remember a Chicago article with similar verbiage but I recalled it pertaining to a bank to yellow curb thingy that was hidden below street level, which I ended up finding and skating because had a really obvious sign above it that turned out to be right next to the Sears Tower.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:08:59 PM by Willie »

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
UIC is my go-to spot, mainly because I’m in the West Loop.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »

Did anyone ever cut out the rail a the bottom of that big bank again? Last time I checked it out, the rail was surrounding the whole thing and it was a bummer.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did anyone ever cut out the rail a the bottom of that big bank again? Last time I checked it out, the rail was surrounding the whole thing and it was a bummer.
I was there last month--I snuck into my best friend's chem lecture which is in that building--still there

And since we're talking about Chicago, this video got me super hyped to skate
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:47:38 AM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down