Author Topic: An unseen threat to street skateboarding  (Read 18537 times)

tkp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: An unseen threat to street skateboarding
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
Grave digging this thread.

In a post by Kornholio8, I commented about the recent systems that  automatically fine people for jaywalking. I also wrote a little bit about Bluetooth Low Energy and other ways to identify people via their phone.

I've been hearing rumblings about police starting to request access home owner's personal security systems. This isn't anything new, but is something to take into consideration when skating house spots:
https://threatpost.com/amazon-ring-facial-recognition-watch-list/150681/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:15:35 AM by tkp »

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
Catch a ticket in the mail for destruction of property over $250.

Fucka Vandal Squad
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

dr. radishh

• Rep: 77
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:46 AM »

In a post by Kornholio8, I commented about the recent systems that  automatically fine people for jaywalking. I also wrote a little bit about Bluetooth Low Energy and other ways to identify people via their phone.

I've been hearing rumblings about police starting to request access home owner's personal security systems. This isn't anything new, but is something to take into consideration when skating house spots:

this is happening in a township just north of me. here's a quote from the article explaining how it works, for anyone who cares:
(would link the whole article but the website has a subscription block)

Police departments that work with Ring can tap into the Neighbors public feed. “Officers can chat directly with users on the Neighbors feed and get alerts when a homeowner posts a message from inside their watched jurisdiction,” Harwell wrote. “To seek out Ring video that has not been publicly shared, officers can use a special ‘Neighbors Portal’ map interface to designate a time range and local area, up to half a square mile wide, and get Ring to send an automated email to all users within that range, alongside a case number and message from police.”

So it’s not quite “unrestricted access.” But it has a wide potential reach, which we find concerning. Ring makes providing video to the authorities simple. And wouldn’t most of us reflexively want to help the police?

that last sentence  ::)

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is happening in a township just north of me. here's a quote from the article explaining how it works, for anyone who cares:

Expand Quote
Police departments that work with Ring can tap into the Neighbors public feed. “Officers can chat directly with users on the Neighbors feed and get alerts when a homeowner posts a message from inside their watched jurisdiction,” Harwell wrote. “To seek out Ring video that has not been publicly shared, officers can use a special ‘Neighbors Portal’ map interface to designate a time range and local area, up to half a square mile wide, and get Ring to send an automated email to all users within that range, alongside a case number and message from police.”

So it’s not quite “unrestricted access.” But it has a wide potential reach, which we find concerning. Ring makes providing video to the authorities simple. And wouldn’t most of us reflexively want to help the police?
[close]

wouldn’t most of us reflexively want to help the police?

Fuck the police I live and die by the G Code.

You should be silenced you trash loving filth.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
destroy the cameras, problem solved

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
this sucks

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

wouldn’t most of us reflexively want to help the police?

1, 2, 3...

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2020, 08:36:10 AM »

dr. radishh

• Rep: 77
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »

it was a quote from the article, but i appreciate your tenacity

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »
If you are in the USA and interested in seeing what types of surveillance the police have access to:

https://atlasofsurveillance.org/

They likely have more things that are not publicly known, but this is an interesting guide. The private camera access (Ring) opens up so many more digital eyes.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »
Just a little public service announcement the Skatepark of Tampa skater database was scraped and shows up in Pimeyes, a free facial recognition search tool accessible to anyone.

Edit: This is typically done without the content providers (SPOT in this case) permission, if it's on the internet, it's probably been swooped up in a scrape. Web scraping public content, for the most part, is legal. The issues typically arise in how that data is then used.

Here's a Vice short about the tool:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 12:59:19 PM by tkp »

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2023, 12:16:57 PM »
I was going to say a girlfriend.  That’s what I’m scared of

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2023, 12:30:54 PM »
Just a little public service announcement the Skatepark of Tampa skater database was scraped and shows up in Pimeyes, a free facial recognition search tool accessible to anyone.

Why in the world would they agree to that?  Can’t they just run a fucking skatepark and leave the Orwellian surveillance state out of it?  It just strikes me as such a non-skateboarderly thing to do.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2023, 12:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why in the world would they agree to that?  Can’t they just run a fucking skatepark and leave the Orwellian surveillance state out of it?  It just strikes me as such a non-skateboarderly thing to do.

They don't have to agree for it to happen, which is the case for any website that hosts public facing content. Most aren't aware their data could be used, or is being used for profit by another company.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2023, 12:56:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No consent is needed, they're just images in a public-facing database, accessed by an algorithm which sorted them into their own database.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They don't have to agree for it to happen, which is the case for any website that hosts public facing content. Most aren't aware their data could be used, or is being used for profit by another company.

Sorry, I’m a dumbass, Im really high right now and somehow got the idea they set up cameras inside the park. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2023, 01:06:43 PM »
A sight unseen

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2023, 01:28:41 PM »
Shit is getting real around here.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2023, 01:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry, I’m a dumbass, Im really high right now and somehow got the idea they set up cameras inside the park.

That was I Level.
For a totally different reason.

In any case this fucking sucks. 

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2023, 01:51:52 PM »
My local police station has a form on their site you can fill out to give access to your cameras.

Fuck that.
The streets await

#alexander#

• Rep: 10
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2023, 01:53:44 PM »
THEY can also analyze your gait if you are wearing a mask. Not far off to imagine big data can analyzed your push and take your board away if your social credit score drops.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2023, 01:58:54 PM »
THEY can also analyze your gait if you are wearing a mask. Not far off to imagine big data can analyzed your push and take your board away if your social credit score drops.

Don't forget tire track analysis. Change your wheels often pals.
The streets await

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2023, 07:19:52 PM »
Cue your tinfoil hat, actually, don't. Getting kicked out of spots by security as they film us, scoffing at the CCTV cameras at empty schools pointed directly at our faces and ignoring them because who cares if you are on camera.

However, this has all changed with social media. Companies capable of instantly matching your face to a database of Instagram, Facebook, or scraped web images. Targetting the SPOT skater database for instance. We saw that one kid who ollied onto that fancy car get his identity revealed pretty quickly (then again he did post the footage on his own personal account).

https://youtu.be/aE1kA0Jy0Xg?t=3m << real life facial recognition

Perhaps the Barrier Kult has been at the forefront of future masked street skateboard sessions.

Grind a ledge on private property and 2 days later get a ticket in the mail with a frame grab of you breaking the law.

Dystopic or future reality?

Is the frame grab sick tho?
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

IpathCats

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2023, 07:22:34 PM »
Looks like yuto was on to something with that balaclava huh?

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2023, 04:22:07 AM »
It totally could happen, BUT…
I really think we are gonna fuck up this world so bad that by the time that technology it’s working “everywhere” we’ll be more worried about riots, poverty, diseases and wars than dudes skating the spot (if there’s still some spots to skate)

It’s been published that for 2050 the biggest cause of dead will be associated with bacterial resistance to meds. YES NUMBER ONE IN THE WORLD.

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -139
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2023, 06:25:28 AM »
you cant go somewhere in england without being on a CCTV camera. thats how bad it is

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2023, 06:58:19 AM »
It’s been published that for 2050 the biggest cause of dead will be associated with bacterial resistance to meds. YES NUMBER ONE IN THE WORLD.

They can just use all their cameras to make sure the infected don’t leave their houses and die alone in their own filth and don’t infect the rest of us.  Problem solved!

dannyprovolone

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2023, 07:09:56 AM »
Looks like yuto was on to something with that balaclava huh?

he knew the cairumans were watching his every move

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2023, 08:49:19 AM »
I wear a half ski mask thing that goes up to my ears and covers my nose when it’s significantly below freezing and I love it. I want to only skate in a balaclava from now on