Author Topic: An unseen threat to street skateboarding  (Read 18593 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: An unseen threat to street skateboarding
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »
Ha, some funny responses in here.

The French Quarters in New Orleans has a 24 hour monitored surveillance system and they are working on allowing private individuals and businesses to contribute their video feeds to the service:
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/crime_police/article_d0288312-cee1-11e7-af0a-8769895f8988.html

There is a site anyone can use to match photos with faces on Russia's biggest social networking site, http://findface.ru/ . If you have a public profile on that site and you piss off someone who then snaps a photo of ya, you're vulnerable.

Just putting this out there as we are going to see more of these systems installed worldwide.
You're a goddamned idiot. You do realize that there already are security guards on private property, and that they virtually NEVER do anything but tell people to leave right? They could easily detain skaters and call the cops. They don't. They just chase us off property. These other places could hire security to work during off times that would cost as much as running a facial recognition system, which, by the way, would also have to track people down after they were identified, but they don't.
We are like rats or mosquitoes. They chase us away if we get in their space, but they don't track us down once we've been shoo'd away

You are smoking some seriously strong shit to believe this is a real issue.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »

You're a goddamned idiot. You do realize that there already are security guards on private property, and that they virtually NEVER do anything but tell people to leave right? They could easily detain skaters and call the cops. They don't. They just chase us off property. These other places could hire security to work during off times that would cost as much as running a facial recognition system, which, by the way, would also have to track people down after they were identified, but they don't.
We are like rats or mosquitoes. They chase us away if we get in their space, but they don't track us down once we've been shoo'd away

You are smoking some seriously strong shit to believe this is a real issue.

Ronald, you're right. Security guards always just ask people to leave. They would never abuse their powers and attempt to detain a skater, take their board, or gain the skaters identification. They've also never written down license plate numbers and notified the local police with this information. Every encounter I've ever had with security has been the most peaceful and polite interaction and we were best friends as they happily shooed us skaters off. 

Small towns with little crime to profit off of just love letting people off the hook for simple destruction of property charges because those fines, court fees, and government funding for locking people up just aren't worth their time.

Side note: I've had friends forced to go to court over surveillance camera footage of them skating on private property. It took the cops a few months to figure out who they were, but it's a real thing.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:05:56 PM by tkp »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
Ron's talking specifically about skateboarding in underfunded bay area schoolyards. He is a teacher you see

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
How long till the war with Skynet affects skateboarders on street missions?

Ken1

• Rep: 2
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
Balaclava or Bust...add a durag while you're at it, too. However, if you're looking to terrorize a spot, maybe a keffiyeh is more appropriate.
Just your average living Ken doll.

tkp

• SLAP Pal

IHOP

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 11:11:43 AM »
Homie of mine was skating a ledge at a law firm, and two weeks later he got a bill from the firm in the mail, they got his info off of his license plate via cameras.

morningcommute

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2018, 12:19:39 PM »
Homie of mine was skating a ledge at a law firm, and two weeks later he got a bill from the firm in the mail, they got his info off of his license plate via cameras.

I can't find the clip but the same thing happened to Nick Jensen at a football (not soccer) stadium. It was a backnoseblunt transfer on a kicker to ledge type deal. They got his car number plate and sent him a bill for the damages.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I’m going to stop now, because I’ve already given this asenine topic too much credence.
[close]
Asinine*
If you're going to use a word I need to look up, at least spell it right.
[close]

"Respect your elders"

Gipper is on point on this topic
[close]

I know he's on point regarding this : there's a good chance none of us will ever get to experience such tyranny. Nothing wrong with trying to predict the future, though. I personally loved 1984.

I like how Gip doesn't consider a future where the technology is advanced enough to do all of that stuff he claims requires man power on its own, at a fraction of the price it costs now or even free. He sounds like the old guys in that clip asking Zucc how he makes money off of Facebook even though it's free to join...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
masks arent enough... watch out for those tan lines boys

hardly art, hardly starving

Mongoloid

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
Burn your fingerprints off and grow mustache.

I used to pride my young child self on the fact that I somehow avoided every school "fingerprint register" day the local PD would put on. Then I got arrested in my later teen years and botched the whole thing.

fucking modern identification methods! Want my fucking pubes while we're at it?!?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
I don't think skateboarding is serious enough for us to worry about this, but if you are going to be doing some serious vandalism ex: making a spot skateable, bonds, cutting kinks, taking off knobs, then you should definitely be carful of camera systems watching you
   It'll be like a sliding scale; if its expensive for them to effectively police individuals it would have to be a more 'serious' matter to bother with, BUT once it gets cheaper to do so that's when the 'micro' policing era will began. Yes you'll see that if it serves corporate interest. We'll all just have a permanent probe in our ass sending info to a data base. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »
Read all this an I'm not worried at all... Got no photos of me on worldwide web. Never been on Facebook or Instagram with my full name. Anything skating of me I use my nickname and sadly enough I'm in my mid 30's without a vehicle so nobodys gettin my liscense.

Yeah, if my bike gets recognized I'm fucked but don't think that'll happen.

Gipper has a point, schools don't have the funds for some dude to look over survellience footage unless something gnarly happpened.

Skatin in a ski mask sounds like a good idea too but from experience not the greatest thing when you're drunk riding around in public areas in daytime hours...

Mongoloid

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
It would be great if some sort of AI would someday identify me by Slap taint.

ungzilla

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »
i already have i'm just waiting for an opportune time to taint-doxx you

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:10 PM »

I can't find the clip but the same thing happened to Nick Jensen at a football (not soccer) stadium. It was a backnoseblunt transfer on a kicker to ledge type deal. They got his car number plate and sent him a bill for the damages.

I have no idea why people would park in front of the spot or at schools. Just park down the street...

Sad Hippo

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
Expand Quote
I don't think skateboarding is serious enough for us to worry about this, but if you are going to be doing some serious vandalism ex: making a spot skateable, bonds, cutting kinks, taking off knobs, then you should definitely be carful of camera systems watching you
[close]
   It'll be like a sliding scale; if its expensive for them to effectively police individuals it would have to be a more 'serious' matter to bother with, BUT once it gets cheaper to do so that's when the 'micro' policing era will began. Yes you'll see that if it serves corporate interest. We'll all just have a permanent probe in our ass sending info to a data base.
It'll be just like when they bought Wesley back to life in Demolition Man and the kiosks all through the city spit out cursing tickets and MDK fines, except in our future, the kiosk at all the spots will give ABD, Fake steeze, and Manny Buster tickets
Seriously though, incoming Baclava B!! Bandanas are so 2018

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »
before barrier kult there was sean young, the unknown asshole.
dude bombed some of the illest hills of the 90s and also had a picture bs flipping 3 up 3 down going the wrong way.
maybe skating in a balaclava or skank [bandana] over your face can be trendwatch 2018?
false moustache?
elven ears and dark glasses?
long bangs?

God I hope so

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »

I have no idea why people would park in front of the spot or at schools. Just park down the street...

You'd need a court order to get personal info from license plates in California. It's funny when you see guards follow you and take down your plates. Everyone knows they're powerless.

Mongoloid

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »
Shit is terrifying.
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-palantir-peter-thiel/

See, this is more reason to show your balls.

These guys wanna datamine? Well yeah, here's my dick! Here's my asshole in HD. Honestly it has zero effect on the disaffected. I'm not thrilled about it, but at the same token I don't wanna make the commitment of isolation. Therefore one must live apathetic.

It's easier in life.. especially when you reach the disenchanted middle ages to pick and choose the fucks you give.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2018, 02:14:37 AM »
Just stop skating. Mega savings!

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
This is one thread I'll keep gravedigging as the surveillance technology gets more advanced

Orlando, Florida and Washington County, Oregon jumping on the trend

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/surveillance-technologies/amazon-teams-government-deploy-dangerous-new

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »
All skateboarding is branded content

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
We can all just become juggalos to beat the id systems

https://futurism.com/juggalos-makeup-facial-recognition/

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2018, 09:29:11 PM »
I've always wanted to go to the Gathering.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 12:04:04 AM »
This is one thread I'll keep gravedigging as the surveillance technology gets more advanced

Orlando, Florida and Washington County, Oregon jumping on the trend

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-technology/surveillance-technologies/amazon-teams-government-deploy-dangerous-new

Keep it up dude! Shit's scary as hell.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 01:47:04 AM »
I think any of these "threats" can be seen in plain sight if you're looking for them. This century has seen more technological change than all of human history before it. It's moving faster than regulation can react. Is it moving faster than ethics, faster than we can adapt?

Everyone seems to be getting dumber apart from the people writing the code. People falling off cliffs because they were trying to take a selfie and thinking it's important for everyone to watch them eat cereal on YouTube. So then the government obviously realizes these tools can be put to use, for better or worse.

The Edward Snowden quote just is becoming more and more relevant, "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say". Imagine sitting down at a table with an FBI agent who pulls out every google search you've ever done, CCTV footage of every street you crossed in the last 5 years, every Uber you ever took, everything you ate etc... I mean, it's happening already:

Fuck. Am I turning into one of "those" people?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:48:42 AM by sexualhelon »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 01:58:55 AM »
haha they have this in china but they're not using it to crack down on petty shit - people are skating street here with no problem
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2018, 03:34:01 AM »

ordered some of these, just in case...

it's definitely over when this is implemented world wide...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186

Then you'd just get Gerwer in trouble.