Author Topic: Arizona (Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale)  (Read 5672 times)

sBP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Arizona (Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale)
« on: November 30, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
Traveling to Arizona next week for a couple days was curious if anyone from the area has suggestions on where to stay? Spots, bars, restaurants? Thanks y'all!

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: Arizona (Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
-Tempe skatepark is probably the best park to go to (Hardy and Warner)
-The Wedge in south Scottsdale is a must hit (McDowell and 77th St)
-Northern banks in phoenix (11 st and Townley ave) is a famous spot and always a good time.
-ASU is a good place to cruise around and hit multiple spots, watch for campus cops
-Casey Moores is the go to Bar in tempe. You're likely to see someone you know.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
how old are you and how much money you want to spend on food .. flying solo or with sig other?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:10:51 PM by straight »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »
What straight said basically.

Bars in Phoenix that are a good time: bikini, Gracie’s, Rips, Valley Bar although that place gets overly crowded toward the weekend. You’ll see The Who’s who at Casey’s in Tempe.

If you’re into show-going I’d suggest checking out whos playing Crescent Ballroom, Rebel Lounge, Nile, Red Room, or The Marquee. Good acts on any given day.

Parks:
Pecos - manny pad/ledge heaven
Wedge - you owe it to yourself to check this place out although it’s hit or miss for sure
Tempe Park - always good, rippers everywhere (sidenote: Tempe 3/Tempe 4 are fun)
Hermosa (I think? Haven’t called it that in a while) - aka southern, super fun just watch your shit.

Those are basically my personal favorites but there’s tons more just kind of out of the way.

Be sure to stop at any given Cowtown location. One of the best shops in Arizona.

As far as street spots go, straight knows a ton of gems.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
scottsdale art museum manny pad: 75th street and just south of indian school

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »
deck park: pretty iconic plaza for phx skateboarding .. google burton barr library for directions .. this video sums it up nicely
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWdPBbBU-I

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
if you're here on weekend, you can skate these fun pop out ledges at gililland middle school in tempe right down street from cowtown and asu
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcEcVeTByGI/?hl=en

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »
ill be in goodyear next week. ill probably check out the park there and the one in peoria. im also planning on a day trip out to the nude bowl.

anyone have info on pool or diy hookups in the area?

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
ill be in goodyear next week. ill probably check out the park there and the one in peoria. im also planning on a day trip out to the nude bowl.

anyone have info on pool or diy hookups in the area?

There's a small pool called 'pigeon shit' that people have destroyed
(62nd Dr and Bethany Home Rd)

Super fun and easy to skate, although I've heard rumors that it could be a bust now.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »
Tempe skatepark is amazing, but go in the morning or mid day. No matter what day of the week it is, it's super crowded at night. Just got back from there about an hour ago and it was really difficult to skate.

Pecos is super fun, and usually pretty empty at night. Tons of ledges and manny pads, and a really nice quarterpipe in the middle.

Tempe 3 (google Hudson Park) is a lot of fun to mess around at, but not for super serious stuff. Really small park so 5 people is crowded. Another good park to go to in the morning.

There's some random bowl in Tempe, and I don't remember what it's called, but don't go. I'm pretty sure it's made for bikes because it's really awkwardly laid out and really steep.

Tempe and Pecos are within 15 minutes from each other so definitely go to both. Another thing is, go to Cowtown in Tempe and just ask where there's good spots. The guys there are really cool and I doubt they'd mind.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
  the minipipe behind the coffee shop on 7th st is fun. the public library downtown is my favorite skate spot in the world possibly...... Check out hoodride bikes the owner derrick is super friendly and can point u to spots

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

-Northern banks in phoenix (11 st and Townley ave) is a famous spot and always a good time.

Is northern banks that ditch where you launch over the flat into a big bank with a long 3 at the bottom?
Looks fun.
I'll be out there for the first time next weekend for the PHXAM.
Hoping to get in a decent amount of street skating.
Thanks for all the spot info straight.
Need to hit the wedge and that library for sure.
Where is that spot where you come from a sidewalk, over a gap, into a double ditch bank? I think it's Phoenix.
Got any other spots in the wallride / wallie  vein you could clue me into?

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 10:37:55 AM »
oh ya .. that’s at bell road and 84th ave ., pretty much in the honda dealership parking lot .. spot is so much sketchier in person .. id give you a satellite image but don’t know how

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
chase bank aka tallest building in phx has legendary banks that muska skated in his parts .. spots kinda a bust .. it’s close to deck park which is pretty legendary og phx plaza that’s in a lotta vids

there’s this bank at 19th ave and colter that has sick banks which is this first clip here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EcCDmN5f178

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »
hells gate ditch is at 20th street and north view which is just east of the 51 freeway and north of glendale ave

doublesteveburger

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »
I think straight is trying to kill you

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »
chase bank aka tallest building in phx has legendary banks that muska skated in his parts .. spots kinda a bust .. it’s close to deck park which is pretty legendary og phx plaza that’s in a lotta vids

there’s this bank at 19th ave and colter that has sick banks which is this first clip here

Thanks straight. That bank spot looks good. Added to my list.

hells gate ditch is at 20th street and north view which is just east of the 51 freeway and north of glendale ave
I want no part of that thing

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
In Phoenix for a few days but no time to skate... is everything here a skate spot? Curbs, bump to bar, Manny pads etc... I’m so jealous

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
I moved out to AZ a few years back and I’m still searching for a good double sided curb.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »
In Phoenix for a few days but no time to skate... is everything here a skate spot? Curbs, bump to bar, Manny pads etc... I’m so jealous

It’s perfect and I’m bailing on California to move back to the desert to die an early death due to the sun most likely.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'm moving to Tucson in a couple of months, anyone have experience skating there? Parks, spots and shops to check out? I was there for a week in Feb. and saw alot of skaters out cruising the streets.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
Tucson has good empty pools.

Hell Bowl is rad but I think it’s a private DIY.  I haven’t made it out there yet.

euro tm

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'm moving to Tucson in a couple of months, anyone have experience skating there? Parks, spots and shops to check out? I was there for a week in Feb. and saw alot of skaters out cruising the streets.

blx is the best shop ever. just go in and meet eric. tucson has better spots than phoenix.

Glurmpz

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
Tucson has good empty pools.

Hell Bowl is rad but I think it’s a private DIY.  I haven’t made it out there yet.

^Yup, that's my friend's back yard and it is indeed private. I haven't been back in a few years now and I can't wait to skate it again as they've added so much (even though I prefer street). That yard was pretty much the meet up and end of day spot on 90% of my Tucson skate adventures. Best times.

Tucson has lots of amazing ditches and some pretty rad street spots too. Just gotta ask some locals.

I also found original copies of some hard to find vinyl at BLX for super cheap - the dudes had no idea what they were worth.

It feels a bit like a ghost town there with all the shuttered businesses etc, but that definitely works in your favor for skating some spots. Every night the sunset is amazing.

Have fun!

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
Parks in Tucson look so good.  I can’t wait to go out and visit when I have time.

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:33 PM »
Bumping this one up - headed to Tempe/Phoenix on Thursday. What are the best new parks/spots to hit for some limber men in there 30s and 40s. Festival Fields looks fun. Any DIY spots running?

robocop

• Rep: 6
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 02:54:23 PM »
Bumping this one up - headed to Tempe/Phoenix on Thursday. What are the best new parks/spots to hit for some limber men in there 30s and 40s. Festival Fields looks fun. Any DIY spots running?

I would try:
Pecos - low ledges/manual pads, lots of spread-out transition
The Wedge - some quarter pipes that are really mellow almost like they're meant for learning scary tricks on
Chandler - will be empty if you go during the day and is a mix of all kinds of transition, mostly without coping
Festival Fields is fun just for the pump track, the park section is alright.

What type of spots are you into?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 08:03:06 PM »
If you are looking for a friendly middle-aged man session, Mitchell Park can be fun.

However, Tempe is still the best by far and Pecos is super mellow/fun.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Krishna3k

• Rep: -2
  • "If we skate we roll together" "Stand United"
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 04:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks straight. That bank spot looks good. Added to my list.

Expand Quote
[close]
I want no part of that thing

Holy fuck that bank spot looks dope man. That part was fire to !

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips y'all. Festival Fields and Tempe were the highlights for me, but we got to check out that street spot Deck Park too and had a blast there. Pecos had some cool stuff, we stayed right by Mitchell so hit it a bunch, and Hermoso was a big hit for most of our group. The Wedge might be one of the worst parks I've ever been to lol. The mellow qp was fun tho.