Author Topic: PayForSlap?NetNeutrality  (Read 6906 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
Re: PayForSlap?NetNeutrality
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
This is the stratification of the internet in Portugal.

basically you'd pay your 29 monthly base rate, then another $15 dollars just to have unthrottled access to streaming apps. Not including your subscription fee you're paying the content provider. Let's say High-Speed Productions (slap and thrasher) being "publications" get there servers bundled into the news package.

I would have to pay an additional $5 a month to mostly look at pictures of other peoples boards and get coupon codes. On the other end, ISP's can go to HSP and say, hey, if you want to get taking of the news package, pay us directly. No way in hell is slap gonna pay (nor would I want, or expect them too). So either the ISP fucks over the consumer, corporation or both because they're not just gonna leave money on the table. Thrasher decides to pay the ISP, but inorder to cover the cost, they now run double the ads before videos, and do sponsored content style editorials for brands trying to co-op that skater image. King of the road now has a taco bell city challenge.

So some young spunky kid, tired of thrasher's new bullshit decides to start his own mag/site. He catches a few lucky breaks, maybe gets to release a small video that's surprisingly good. He's managed to monetize his website with support for "core" skate companies. He's now at about 250K views per week. Here comes Mr. ISP. Saying hey you get a lot of traffic, we need you to pay a premium or your viewers will have a harder time reaching your site for now on. Basically get down or lay down. Legally killing competition, growth and inovation.

Cherb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »
RIP internet. RIP SLAP.

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »
Net neutrality's repeal is going to bend us all over for a while until the Democrats take power again.

only a gay father fucker would think there is an actual difference in agenda between Dems and Reps, skateboards are dumb as shit

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Net neutrality's repeal is going to bend us all over for a while until the Democrats take power again.
[close]

only a gay father fucker would think there is an actual difference in agenda between Dems and Reps, skateboards are dumb as shit

You saying your dad doesn't love you that much to fuck you?

super-basic

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You seem like you are a juggalo using the internet at the city library.

Chippedwood

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You saying your dad doesn't love you that much to fuck you?

my dad recently died like 6 months ago but i was dating this super hot model, and because i was just partying and fucking her i was unable to cope with his death, a couple weeks ago she broke up with me and now I am really dealing with the death hard. i got sober because i basically overdosed and my therapist who is a skater too reccomended i join this message board to take out my anger on young kids, it really works.
and you should know that even if your father doesn't fuck you with his big hard dick literally he will fuck you somehow figuratively. have a nice night BRO! and watch what you type cuz you might offend someone

Chippedwood

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2017, 06:32:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You seem like you are a juggalo using the internet at the city library.

Juggalo's are nice people so i'll take that compliment and anyone that uses the library for free internet knows how to get a good deal, and i really like Boserio's skating so thanks buddy!!
woop woop F-A-M-i-L-i-A skateshop 4 eva

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2017, 06:49:54 PM »
are telecomms and ISPs that much more powerful than other business interests? what about the businesses whose online sales and services might be affected? don't they have any clout in stopping this?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
I admittedly don't know as much about the subject as I should, but this article touches on what you're talking about:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/netflix-google-voice-frustration-net-neutrality-fcc/

But yeah, I think all these companies, on their own, don't have as much power as ISPs.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
Now that the decision on this has bounced over to Congress, this is a friendly reminder that you guys should be bombarding your congressmen with calls and emails, especially if they're Republicans. Even if this does pass through congress though, there are several lawsuits that have already been filed against the FCC and a metric fuckton more that are sure to come. Also, be aware that this most likely won't change things in the short-term, as telecoms and ISPs still want to be competitive amongst one another and any company jumping the gun would be terrible business practice and utterly suicidal. That being said, it's important take notice of the potential long-term trends and effects of this.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45:44 AM »
Does anyone know how this could affect on Europe or Asia?

And could this be somehow be passed by using something like tor?

That video on previous page was so gringey. How dumb do they think people are? Lowest type of brainwashing..

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
I admittedly don't know as much about the subject as I should, but this article touches on what you're talking about:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/netflix-google-voice-frustration-net-neutrality-fcc/

But yeah, I think all these companies, on their own, don't have as much power as ISPs.

thanks for the link. surprising but it looks like Verizon is that powerful. or they were just good at sneaking pai into the fcc. this is so blatantly corrupt it’s disgusting.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for the link. surprising but it looks like Verizon is that powerful. or they were just good at sneaking pai into the fcc. this is so blatantly corrupt it’s disgusting.
This video is pretty fucking slimy too. General Counsel Craig Silliman being "interviewed" by some random dude. Turned out the interviewer worked for Verizon so obviously every question asked was written by Verizon in an attempt to make themselves look better. This fucking guy Craig just lies through his teeth saying the FCC wasn't going to kill net neutrality rules and none of the ISP's wanted them to even though Verizon was clearly pushing for the repeal.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:18:32 AM by yatallfreak »

midevilco

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
This is about the new guard trying to use the government to force the old guard to subsidize their growth.

Way too complex for a Slap discussion full of name calling.