Author Topic: SAVE TOY MACHINE  (Read 13871 times)

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
Re: SAVE TOY MACHINE
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
I still picture the Welcome to Hell / Jump Off A Building lineup when I think of Toy Machine, and that is probably what is killing them.

It's hard for us nostalgic 90s geezers to imagine brands like Toy Machine, Zero, and even Girl ever being irrelevant, but people get older and tastes change as new generation who care more about the present than the past takes control with their buying dollars. Why would a 15 year old care anything about Ed Templeton (or Billy Marks or Harmony or anybody who hasn't been relevant for years). I imagine someone who started skating 3 or 4 years ago sees Leo as the past, if they know who he is at all.

Provost is amazing but I associate him much more with Emerica and Volcom than Toy Machine. Maybe it's just the overall irrelevancy of board brands entirely these days.

It seems like the weight of Toy Machine is almost entirely on Dan Lu and Axel's shoulders and good luck with that.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 04:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote
I'd be 100% more likely to buy Toy boards if they weren't watson decks.
[close]

Unless they switched back very recently, they haven't been Watson in a long, long time. They did some of the non-pro models on Watson for a while several years ago, but then switched those to PS, and then switched everything to PS.

Oh.. well... shows how much I know.

Swap watson with PS. I'd be 100% more likely to buy one if they were Generator boards.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I was done with them niggas when they gave Jordan Taylor the boot.
[close]

Jordan Taylor left.

And him going to WKND rules. Had a great part come out, turned pro, and is part of New Balance which from my point of view is the coolest non skater owned footwear company. I regularly contemplate buying a pair. Austin and Ed should have started that brand Americana that they discussed.

imad

• Rep: -167
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »
Templeton is too busy being a bitch-whipped cuck vegan faggot.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

People like you made the block hot on YouTube.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
Ed saying he barely skates anymore in Heath's epicly later'd bummed me out

billyerlife

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »

Dude, who is one of the best humans and skateboarders of all time, has broke his neck, femur, had multiple concussions, plus he's fat. He still shralps around a bit from what I can tell, which is pretty awesome. I doubt that they are going under, this is far from the worst stage they've gone through. They still have boards in every shop I poke my head into, in fact the last board I bought was the Last Supper for the wall. I'm gonna go buy another one to ride actually, I'm about due, thanks thread!

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

ibuproficient

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
I buy Toy boards. I've had three this year and they were all PS stix. I like that they don't play the trend games and their guys have original unique styles and passions outside the 'industry.'

I've got Blake's back, First Coast before East/West bullshit.
-It's a goddamned toy, and you're acting like a child.

S.E.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
I was done with them niggas when they gave Jordan Taylor the boot.

YEP! laaaame move

S.E.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
i understand money is tight.  but the internet is FREE.  Use your riders, use insta, use your sites blog, AND MAKE SHIT HAPPEN.  MARKET YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.  when you can tell the riders aren't friends but just guys on a companies payroll....thats when people smell a business rather than a movement or an identity.  ya gotta evolve someway...as much as I love them, they blowin it and it makes me sad. 

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i remember seeing some niggas sig somewhere with some kid doing a bs wallride down a four block with that exact shirt on.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
eh whatever let it die. Kinda faded out after brain wash anyway. Leo is 31, Billy marks is 35. They have some 12 year old red bull kid ridding for them?? bleh yeah who cares. I haven't seen a toy board in years. This is all coming from a guy who worshiped good and evil and suffer the joy. Different times.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 06:23:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
i remember seeing some niggas sig somewhere with some kid doing a bs wallride down a four block with that exact shirt on.

that spitfire shirt is terrible

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »
you want deanna to cry, huh?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
I love Toy Machine and I hope I can get stuff from Ed brainchild many years to come.

The socks are amazing :)

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you want deanna to cry, huh?

I think the head trauma science of the past 5 years got Ed & Deanna shook more than a loss of passion.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »
I love toy machine graphics and their team, but every single toy machine I buy I break super quick, so I gave up.

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd be 100% more likely to buy Toy boards if they weren't watson decks.
[close]

Unless they switched back very recently, they haven't been Watson in a long, long time. They did some of the non-pro models on Watson for a while several years ago, but then switched those to PS, and then switched everything to PS.
[close]

Oh.. well... shows how much I know.

Swap watson with PS. I'd be 100% more likely to buy one if they were Generator boards.

Where's Watson to weigh in on this debate?

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
make a sock company and call it a day with boards.  not every company has to last 40 years

Pigeon

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 10:41:08 PM »
make a sock company and call it a day with boards.  not every company has to last 40 years
I was thinking of the same thing, with the addition of graphic tees/sweatshirts...and made by RVCA instead.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »
I’d be down for toy machine if the art wasn’t just the transector dressed up as just whatever all the time. The graphics used to compliment the various skaters style. They also had a bunch of skaters that brought something different to the table. Now the whole team is handrail guys and one dude who only skates shit out of banks.
I have so much respect for Templeton but Toy just isn’t what it could be anymore. I guess the kids want cartoons or whatever and I understand that’s where the money lies but bring something interesting back.

The socks are dope though, not too pricey and comfortable

ThaStampede

• Rep: 0
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude, who is one of the best humans and skateboarders of all time, has broke his neck, femur, had multiple concussions, plus he's fat. He still shralps around a bit from what I can tell, which is pretty awesome. I doubt that they are going under, this is far from the worst stage they've gone through. They still have boards in every shop I poke my head into, in fact the last board I bought was the Last Supper for the wall. I'm gonna go buy another one to ride actually, I'm about due, thanks thread!

I remember him talking about that in his epicly later'd. He was skating some park and bailed and his wife acted like he was fucking dead. That was a few years ago too. Who cares if Ed doesn't skate much. He's a legend and had sick noseblunts. Hopefully the video is good and can help revive it, or Toy will just fade away. At least it hasn't gotten super corny and kicked all their riders off like World.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 11:26:14 PM »
2 out of the 3 decks I bought this year were Toy. Was skating them exclusively until I found a great deal on my current AWS.

I'd be really bummed if they kicked the bucket.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »
Maybe sorting out their dog shit distribution in the UK might help.

This and the cartoon characters on every deck- toy has had some amazing graphics, but if I never see another transistor sect it'll be too soon.

Ed, JLay and Jordan Taylor were my favourites and am sort of indifferent to the rest.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 01:24:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This and the cartoon characters on every deck- toy has had some amazing graphics, but if I never see another transistor sect it'll be too soon.

Ed, JLay and Jordan Taylor were my favourites and am sort of indifferent to the rest.

Rest of Europe too. Fucking China wood with 14” wheelbases. Graphics have been 95% ass lately too. I’ve wanted a Toy Machine monster board in a suitable size (& a t-shirt) for probably 20 years now, but that seems to be way too difficult. Would also go with a Fists board in a suitable size and would have bought the Ed cat reissue shaped board too had I actually found one for sale anywhere in Europe. Might cop some more socks too. One pair I have are lovely for skating and I like how they look, but I haven’t come across another pair since I bought them a few years ago. 😕

They’re fucking kooking it 100% and I blame it mostly on Tum Yeto and Sinclair. Not excited about Blake Carpenter either. He’s way too bland for Toy Machine IMO.

Also release all the old videos on DVD like Zero did with the Anthology box set. I’d buy that immediately.

Fucking basic supply and demand and they’re kooking it bad on the supply!

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 02:26:32 AM »
Toy machine never saved me! cool ads but this 2012 decade niggas changing up team shit making me not care. But I like them. Man lets time travel and see the new companies in 20 years.

witty pseudonym

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 02:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rest of Europe too. Fucking China wood with 14” wheelbases. Graphics have been 95% ass lately too. I’ve wanted a Toy Machine monster board in a suitable size (& a t-shirt) for probably 20 years now, but that seems to be way too difficult. Would also go with a Fists board in a suitable size and would have bought the Ed cat reissue shaped board too had I actually found one for sale anywhere in Europe. Might cop some more socks too. One pair I have are lovely for skating and I like how they look, but I haven’t come across another pair since I bought them a few years ago. 😕

They’re fucking kooking it 100% and I blame it mostly on Tum Yeto and Sinclair. Not excited about Blake Carpenter either. He’s way too bland for Toy Machine IMO.

Also release all the old videos on DVD like Zero did with the Anthology box set. I’d buy that immediately.

Release date 2003:

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Release date 2003:

Well damn. Change that to rerelease then. 😊

Pigeon

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:27 AM »

You’re fucking kooking it by waiting until the last minute to study for your econ. final.