Author Topic: SAVE TOY MACHINE  (Read 13875 times)

Harem

Re: SAVE TOY MACHINE
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2017, 06:55:41 AM »
A revamp of the team might be an OK idea. I know guys like Harmony & Bennett don't get paid a salary, but it's probably unnecessary to have them on the team at this point. I know he hardly skates anymore, and it's his company, for the most part, but does Ed need to officially be on the team? Billy has been a good foot solider, but time to tap him on the shoulder. Not sure what the go with CJ Collins is, are they hoping he turns into a Foy/Zion calibre type skater as he matures? Don't really care about Carpenter/Leabres. Provost has never really fitted on Toy for me. Leo from what I've heard is over the industry as a whole, and his music has become his #1 focus. Indifferent about Axel and Dan Lu. It's not a really relevant team, when you look at it closer.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:57:36 AM by Harem »

Spike Hawke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
Maybe sorting out their dog shit distribution in the UK might help.
You got some TKC beef?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »
also what spy marketing bot started this thread  :-\

shark tits

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »
to harem, i read somewhere that ed wants to retire but his models are the hottest sellers, financing all the less marketable pros like j.casanova did for girl [and look at girl w/out him!].

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Ed saying he barely skates anymore in Heath's epicly later'd bummed me out
[close]
you want deanna to cry, huh?

Well what I meant was: the reality of one of my idols not being able to skate like he once did, is a bummer. And the mortality realization also a bummer.

If Deanna was to cry though, I would hope the situation would be more like: As i start getting dressed and ready for work, tears stream down her cheek.
" it was a great time Deanna... but you're married. And I'm married. We knew it had to end ... sometime. Unless Ed wants to take pictures.. then it's art for art's sake."

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2017, 07:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Well what I meant was: the reality of one of my idols not being able to skate like he once did, is a bummer. And the mortality realization also a bummer.

If Deanna was to cry though, I would hope the situation would be more like: As i start getting dressed and ready for work, tears stream down her cheek.
" it was a great time Deanna... but you're married. And I'm married. We knew it had to end ... sometime. Unless Ed wants to take pictures.. then it's art for art's sake."

Is she crying because the sex was THAT bad?

8) roasted bitch
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Is she crying because the sex was THAT bad?

8) roasted bitch

Indeed!  :P

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »
Ed - Instead of taking 500 pics a day of 15 yo girls in bikinis at the pier, maybe spend a little time on the brand?

ungzilla

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
yea do with your life what this guy on the internet says, fuck your plans ed

pussybunny

• Rep: -36
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure Ed has stated multiple times that he doesn't push riders to produce and it's on them to get coverage. If they want to sell boards, then they have to produce footage.

And that's how it should be. Fuck people like Jamie Thomas that in more ways than one control what his riders do on a skateboard..

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm pretty sure Ed has stated multiple times that he doesn't push riders to produce and it's on them to get coverage. If they want to sell boards, then they have to produce footage.
[close]

And that's how it should be. Fuck people like Jamie Thomas that in more ways than one control what his riders do on a skateboard..

i think if you're the one paying people and relying on them to work so that you can earn money to pay them and pay yourself, you probably need to do your job as a boss and make sure they do their jobs. otherwise nobody gets paid. no major skate company owners do it just for fun. they do it so they can make a living.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
I still picture the Welcome to Hell / Jump Off A Building lineup when I think of Toy Machine, and that is probably what is killing them.

I haven't really been stoked on them as a team since this (although I liked the Butcher era ok) but I don't care about a lot of pro teams. It also feels like they've spun their wheels design wise for 20 years.

Flameboy and Wet Willy aren't hot anymore either.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:42:59 AM by Willie »

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
hopefully they can make a strong comeback.

on another note, the emails I get from crail/girl weekly seem like such a bummer. its like they're on their last leg of life

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
Toy boards are good, I skate em but do kids skate em?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
Just stop making new graphics.  Go back to the beginning and rerelease everything over again.  Back when it was cleaner and simpler.  Hell, just rerelease the Barley smoker board

doublesteveburger

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
One limited run of Bam's mullet deck would be pretty neat. Haven't seen what their art direction looks like these days but I'm hoping it's not the beat-to-death-rehash of the sect and turtle boy still.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
i have never owned nor ran a skate company, but this is my advice for toy:

the hammer days are behind us at least for now, ed you dont need to front blunt handrails, people just want to see you skate, and its perfectly acceptable in 2017 to build a clip around a flatground impossible, lord knows many careers are based on that now and you pretty much own that shit, so stop worrying about what you cant do anymore and have some fun.
you have a winner in dan lu, just give him a van and a filmer and let him make the next video. okay its surely not that simple, but still, i feel like there's room for toy machine on the fun and relatable bandwagon, key is to actually have some fun and be relatable.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
One limited run of Bam's mullet deck would be pretty neat. Haven't seen what their art direction looks like these days but I'm hoping it's not the beat-to-death-rehash of the sect and turtle boy still.
Spot on, except it looks like they hired a CalArts dropout to do their graphics.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »

on another note, the emails I get from crail/girl weekly seem like such a bummer. its like they're on their last leg of life

explain

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
Had 1 toy deck earlier this year (American monster) but haven't skated them since. Some of the new deck graphics are pretty cool. Feels like classic Toy Machine.

Kick Blake Carpenter off.

Colin Provost is a walking talking nutsack boot him immediately.

Isn't Josh Harmony a racist or something?

Axel crusher is the best team choice they've made in years.

Leabras is good, but has the personality of a bedsheet.

Blew it big time with J-Lay, and Jordan Taylor.

I miss Austin Stephens and his back smiths.

ibuproficient

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
i have never owned nor ran a skate company, but this is my advice for toy:

the hammer days are behind us at least for now, ed you dont need to front blunt handrails, people just want to see you skate, and its perfectly acceptable in 2017 to build a clip around a flatground impossible, lord knows many careers are based on that now and you pretty much own that shit, so stop worrying about what you cant do anymore and have some fun.
you have a winner in dan lu, just give him a van and a filmer and let him make the next video. okay its surely not that simple, but still, i feel like there's room for toy machine on the fun and relatable bandwagon, key is to actually have some fun and be relatable.

For real..
-It's a goddamned toy, and you're acting like a child.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »
just looked at their site. found this.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »

and in australia, the distro is a joke

Harem

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and in australia, the distro is a joke

Not sure where you are in Australia, but Goliath have their own store in Melbourne where they have most Toy product's available, and if there is something they don't have, they'll order it in for you.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2017, 12:19:53 AM »
Toy Machine will be bloodsucking fine. They're doing better than Foundation that's for sure, they're still paying their riders salaries plus royalties. Dan Lu is killing it and Axel has a bright future ahead of him. Will say however, letting Johnny Layton go was a bummer. I've been to enough Toy Machine demos to see that TM followers are die hard fans. Enough to keep them alive, even if just buying Ed's boards for hanging on walls. Not sure how true this is but I've heard through many people and friends who've either worked for Tum Yeto or skate shops, their socks bring in a big chunk in sales.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 04:14:40 AM »
Toy, just like Flip needs to go back in the vault and just start rereleasing old graphics from the Mid nineties when they were en fuego. Would actually produce some sales. Part of toys problem is letting dudes who have been on way to long still have boards. I think loyalty is great but not when it's a detriment to your brand. To let guys like tyshawn and Jordan Taylor walk while still giving harmony and billy boards is kinda crazy. Forrest 100% should be on toy, headache or not. Just send him 10 boards and the rest will work it self out.

Also, Ed still need to be on the team. Just like w girl or zero regardless of whether carrol, rickk or Isuck don't produce as much they are the brand and should always have their name on a board as long as they're alive. A lot of this decline should be blamed on Sinclairs inability to spot talent early and put people on.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 05:30:56 AM »
Toy is a better legacy brand than Zero, Flip, Girl etc.. in the sense that it will never not be cool to ride a Toy board in the streets.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2017, 05:44:12 AM »
Once Ed mentally checked out and Sinclair took over TM duties for all of Tum Yeto it just became Foundation with a better reputation. Same kinds of skaters, no weirdos, nothing special. Dan Lu and Leo are the only ones that seem like Toy Machine weirdos to me and that ain't enough. They went lazy with the graphics turning turtle boy and the orange thing into Flameboy and Wet Willy and people lost interest. It's a bummer but no company deserves to be around forever.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »
Toy Machine has always been one of my favorites, they are unfortunately well past their glory days but they still had some steam through the 2000s. I'm basically just reiterating what others have said, but if Ed got back in the ring a bit more (company wise, I understand his skating won't ever be what it was and that's totally reasonable) I think Toy could regain it's footing. Even stale pizza can be kinda fixed if you throw it in the oven. (that's pretty clever, right?)
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

felipedemetrio

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
Dude cj collins is AM for the machine and Tre Williams isnt even oficially on the team, wtf and the lil cj fucks with red bull... that's so wack. But i would by a Leabres or Dan lu board for sure