Author Topic: "The Flat Earth" video by Ty Evans  (Read 23547 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
Re: "The Flat Earth" video by Ty Evans
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
Ty is raising the bar like James Cameron
I've gotten used to HD edits and whatnot,except when its in 4k. I still use a Sony handicam and baby death lens to film,and I use it more than the DSLR that collects dust. My homie films only with a gopro, thats about as close as it gets to brocam filming other than portrait held cell phone footage.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Chinaski's underpants

• Rep: 1
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2017, 12:51:34 AM »

Not Unlike You

• Rep: -23
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
A bunch of people in here are either 16 years-old rehashing what 45 year-olds are telling them or washed-up skateboarders mad that things are not made like H-Street videos.

Mouse was a great video, but I am old AF and I didn't see it when it came out. I saw it roughly five years after its release. For people in there late twenties and early thirties, TY made the films we watched from Modus that the legendary Marc Johnson part to Yeah Right, which was I wanted the Flip video to be, a nearly perfect video.

I get so tired of people basically saying "I miss when video production was bad, because skateboarding was more real". I mean, give me a break. I will buy this even though I spent a ton and don't have the money to do so, because I respect Ty for constantly pushing the boundaries in his filmmaking process and working with young skaters, who would not have gotten exposure.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
More importantly, how was the Carlos Iqui part?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »
More importantly, how was the Carlos Iqui part?

Good, but by that stage in the video you're exhausted from the music, special effects, filming, etc. Like everything else in the video, it's kind of wasted, and it's a real shame.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »
Vote with your wallet, buy it if you wanna support this sort of thing and don't if you don't.
If I can work out how to watch iTunes shit on my big ass TV I'll buy the fuck out of this.

I also bought three other videos this month alone:

Zero Video Collection
Baker 3
Extremely Sorry
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
Beside the horrible wide angle lens that makes lines look like ea skate 1 the filming is very pro. The rolling side shots are dope and the long lens stuff is nice, reminded me of the volcom video.
But as far as creativity it's a mix of a toyota/unicef commercial and a Ibiza VJ.
Why push the boudaries of skateboard filming towards Michael bay? We should aim for Stanley Kubrick instead.
I'm aware the reason is that there is no money incentive for actual creative people to stay in skateboarding...but still.

Also feel bad for the music as there is literally hundreds of super dope electronic music producers on soundcloud who would give their music for projects like that. beside the tobin intro, there's nothing helping in there.

micky682

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
A bunch of people in here are either 16 years-old rehashing what 45 year-olds are telling them or washed-up skateboarders mad that things are not made like H-Street videos.

Mouse was a great video, but I am old AF and I didn't see it when it came out. I saw it roughly five years after its release. For people in there late twenties and early thirties, TY made the films we watched from Modus that the legendary Marc Johnson part to Yeah Right, which was I wanted the Flip video to be, a nearly perfect video.

I get so tired of people basically saying "I miss when video production was bad, because skateboarding was more real". I mean, give me a break. I will buy this even though I spent a ton and don't have the money to do so, because I respect Ty for constantly pushing the boundaries in his filmmaking process and working with young skaters, who would not have gotten exposure.
Just because something is new and pushing boundaries doesn't mean it is good. And that video was dog shit.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
im not even gonna click on the video but the arguing about it is probably about as entertaining as the real thing for me.

SOTY

« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
im not even gonna click on the video but the arguing about it is probably about as entertaining as the real thing for me.
I'm gonna say way more entertaining.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Just because something is new and pushing boundaries doesn't mean it is good. And that video was dog shit.

Ty made a bunch of classic TransWorld vids before Modus

Sorry, not Yeah Right, was a near perfect skate video because it intentionally trimmed the bloat of slo-mo and alternate angles.  Rowley’s part was so good, he got SOTY just for filming for it.  As much as I like most crailtap videos, they get a little laggy in the middle

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2017, 12:10:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Sorry, not Yeah Right, was a near perfect skate video because it intentionally trimmed the bloat of slo-mo and alternate angles.  Rowley’s part was so good, he got SOTY just for filming for it.  As much as I like most crailtap videos, they get a little laggy in the middle
Pretty sure Sorry actually got Arto SOTY for that year. Then Really Sorry got it for Apples. Different era, I'm sure stuff that contributed to getting him SOTY were ads or in interviews which got it for him that year.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2017, 05:27:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Pretty sure Sorry actually got Arto SOTY for that year. Then Really Sorry got it for Apples. Different era, I'm sure stuff that contributed to getting him SOTY were ads or in interviews which got it for him that year.
I think just the hype around Sorry got Geoff SOTY the year before Arto. In regards to editing, Sorry is an unsung hero. It's very polished and calculated, but since Fred bypassed basically any gimmick he could get sucked into (Bastien's part notwithstanding) the video still retains that "raw" feeling that makes it special. 
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2017, 06:01:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah, like I said, just filming for Sorry got him SOTY (he didn’t really have anywhere for that footage go).    When it was actually released, Arto got it for his part. 

Also, what I miss from that era: bad ass SOTY covers.  BA’s obvious Cash Money one and Rowley juggling hand grenades.   Wish they would do that again.  Distinguishes the cover from just a regular cover trick.    I mean, is Foy’s SOTY cover gonna compare to first try El Toro fs crook?   (Maybe!)