Author Topic: Daan on Nike bitches  (Read 50772 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Daan on Nike bitches
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In snowboarding (yeah, I went there) Nike came in, made some "innovative" boots and scooped up a very large team of contest riders only to pull the plug when they decided skateboarding would be more marketable...

Their SB division is no different. When it's not cool anymore they'll pull out.
[close]

no way!
[close]

So if Nike pulls out tomorrow (after 15 or so years) that’s shitty of them, but if they stay around that’s shitty of them.   

I don’t know much about snowboarding, but it seems like boots are a one time purchase, whereas skateboarding destroys shoes and requires replacements.   

Don’t people get tired of all this fear mongering about Nike?  We just went through worrying about Nike “culling” their team because one flow/am rider got cut and instead of kicking everyone off, they added an amazing skater.
[close]

I'm kind of impartial about nike but I was just surprised to see all this talk about them killing their golf program and none about their snowboard program whenever ago.

Snowboard boots can get pretty beat up, but you obviously wouldn't be replacing them like you would with shoes.

Isn't snowboarding a pretty big deal in the Olympics? I would think that would be motive enough to stay involved in the industry.
[close]

The Olympics hurt snowboarding real bad. It used to be the cool/rebel thing to do on the slopes but after it became just another olympic sport the kids weren't so drawn to it anymore and freestyle skiing became the cool thing to do.
[close]

I agree with this. I snowboard and worked in a snowboard/ski shop. When Shaun white was at his peak it destroyed "core" snowboarding. Now it just looks like fucking gymnastics and there's no style. It's just spin to win.
[close]
Thats some contest shit tho, freeriding still got style. Snowbaording is kinda for rich people which lowers its "core" score. expensive clothes and equipment, 4x4 vehicle, lift tickets, time off. Thats why skating is so rad, $200 gets you the same board and shoes as the pros. then hit the streets right in front you. Its tight that Shaun White ruined the whole snowboard scene i think he might have killed vert too.
[close]

Word.
[close]

I thought the Crailtap guys and others skate better wood than they sell
[close]

After hearing that and wondering for soo long, but never seeing evidence, who knows. But even then... its still sick that skating has remained the same price to buy into since the 80s. Aaaaannnnddd... even if its at the expense of skateshops, kids can roll for cheap and get the bug. Oh, and Nike makes great shoes I have recently realized. Go Daan!
[close]
Olson said he basically didn't like skating Crailtap boards while on Girl and was happy to be getting DLX flow when Jenkem did their day in the life segment. BA on the Nine Club said he was skating DLX boards while on Crailtap.

I think what pushed this rumor into a bigger deal was how many guys skated the Chocolate 20 year boards, which were PS Stix boards. Pretty sure they all skate crail boards if they get them from crail tap, but if not will skate DLX boards and cover them in stickers. I don't think Crail is buying other boards from PS Stixs and heat transfering on Girl or Chocolate boards and giving them to their riders.
[close]

actually, that's EXACTLY what they do.  They're not getting Anti-Hero/Real/Krooked boards and just putting stickers on them.
Its pretty obvious in clips that Cory Kennedy is just outright skating Anti-Hero decks. If Crail was willing to go through that trouble, I doubt he would be blatently riding another companies board.

Jacob Gary

« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In snowboarding (yeah, I went there) Nike came in, made some "innovative" boots and scooped up a very large team of contest riders only to pull the plug when they decided skateboarding would be more marketable...

Their SB division is no different. When it's not cool anymore they'll pull out.
[close]

no way!
[close]

So if Nike pulls out tomorrow (after 15 or so years) that’s shitty of them, but if they stay around that’s shitty of them.   

I don’t know much about snowboarding, but it seems like boots are a one time purchase, whereas skateboarding destroys shoes and requires replacements.   

Don’t people get tired of all this fear mongering about Nike?  We just went through worrying about Nike “culling” their team because one flow/am rider got cut and instead of kicking everyone off, they added an amazing skater.
[close]

I'm kind of impartial about nike but I was just surprised to see all this talk about them killing their golf program and none about their snowboard program whenever ago.

Snowboard boots can get pretty beat up, but you obviously wouldn't be replacing them like you would with shoes.

Isn't snowboarding a pretty big deal in the Olympics? I would think that would be motive enough to stay involved in the industry.
[close]

The Olympics hurt snowboarding real bad. It used to be the cool/rebel thing to do on the slopes but after it became just another olympic sport the kids weren't so drawn to it anymore and freestyle skiing became the cool thing to do.
[close]

I agree with this. I snowboard and worked in a snowboard/ski shop. When Shaun white was at his peak it destroyed "core" snowboarding. Now it just looks like fucking gymnastics and there's no style. It's just spin to win.
[close]
Thats some contest shit tho, freeriding still got style. Snowbaording is kinda for rich people which lowers its "core" score. expensive clothes and equipment, 4x4 vehicle, lift tickets, time off. Thats why skating is so rad, $200 gets you the same board and shoes as the pros. then hit the streets right in front you. Its tight that Shaun White ruined the whole snowboard scene i think he might have killed vert too.
[close]

Word.
[close]

I thought the Crailtap guys and others skate better wood than they sell
[close]

After hearing that and wondering for soo long, but never seeing evidence, who knows. But even then... its still sick that skating has remained the same price to buy into since the 80s. Aaaaannnnddd... even if its at the expense of skateshops, kids can roll for cheap and get the bug. Oh, and Nike makes great shoes I have recently realized. Go Daan!
[close]
Olson said he basically didn't like skating Crailtap boards while on Girl and was happy to be getting DLX flow when Jenkem did their day in the life segment. BA on the Nine Club said he was skating DLX boards while on Crailtap.

I think what pushed this rumor into a bigger deal was how many guys skated the Chocolate 20 year boards, which were PS Stix boards. Pretty sure they all skate crail boards if they get them from crail tap, but if not will skate DLX boards and cover them in stickers. I don't think Crail is buying other boards from PS Stixs and heat transfering on Girl or Chocolate boards and giving them to their riders.
[close]

actually, that's EXACTLY what they do.  They're not getting Anti-Hero/Real/Krooked boards and just putting stickers on them.
[close]
Its pretty obvious in clips that Cory Kennedy is just outright skating Anti-Hero decks. If Crail was willing to go through that trouble, I doubt he would be blatently riding another companies board.

How do you know that they maybe just didn't have any screened boards? I'm sure more often than not crail would prefer their branding but since they have a good relationship with DLX I personally wouldn't think it would be a huge issue.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
Everyone talks about Nike money but how much is that amount? I always kind of imagine it like this:

Koston/P-Rod/Janoski: $500,000+

Shane/Grant/Ishod: $250,000

Olson/Cyrus/Oski: $120,000

Ams and older guys like Chet: $60,000

I have heard about them effectively having 3 teams, I might be way off the mark though. Everyone might have their own number but I imagine a company like Nike might have some scale for athlete renumeration.

virginsiloveem

• Rep: -11
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
Everyone talks about Nike money but how much is that amount? I always kind of imagine it like this:

I have heard about them effectively having 3 teams, I might be way off the mark though. Everyone might have their own number but I imagine a company like Nike might have some scale for athlete renumeration.

Chet is actually I think at $500/month right now

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Chet is actually I think at $500/month right now

Ouch, wonder how much Chet was making 10 years ago. But there's no way Olson and Cyrus make the same. I could see Olson making 10k a month though.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

shit_for_brains

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Here we go

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
Wrong, Daryl Angel makes 800k a year, they have a longevity stipulation built in to their contracts. It's not based on output but how long you've been on the team. That's why they had to cut chet........................................................................................

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
Nike still makes golf shoes.  I just bought some. 
Do you like dildos, guns and rubber asses?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »
Wrong, Daryl Angel makes 800k a year, they have a longevity stipulation built in to their contracts. It's not based on output but how long you've been on the team. That's why they had to cut chet........................................................................................
  And he still can’t pay his child support? Shiiiiit...
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

howtotictac

• Rep: 12
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2017, 12:55:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike supports GT, Ishod, Lance, BA....all of those guys are 100% unhateable and deserve (I think) to get fuckin paid-like have a family/buy a house/not worry about money paid.  The shoe fetish in skating is weird.  Its not like an energy drink, people have been skating in Nikes since way before you.  Daan rules, I hope he is on Nike and I hope they give him ten million dollars so he's set.
[close]

For sure Daan was already making enough money on Vans to live comfortably and knowing that Nike was after him Vans probably offered him a descent raise. The decision to move to Nike just doesn't fit with the kinda attitude he had before(like refusing to wear a Volcom T-shirt at a contest cause he'd rather rep Anti Hero). Seeing that he's been piling out a bunch lately my guess is he's over the whole industry and was like: "fuck it, I'll take the bigger check and everyone can fuck off..."
[close]
You are either young or you don't understand money.  "Enough to live comfortably" < an offer of more money.  Grant rides for Nike, is he not "core" or Anti Hero?  Also, Daan's back tail was one of the sickest things done this year, he's been in plenty of clips, and many on this board picked him for 2018 SOTY so not really seeing your "piling out" claim.
[close]

What is it about money that you understand so much better than me?
And sure he might not be piling out in a major way but he's far from the athlete kind of attitude that Nike is gonna require from their younger riders as we're getting closer to the olympics. I just don't see this as a wise move from him.
[close]
Well, I understand that getting more money is better than less money.  He didn't ride for Simple, he rode for Vans which isn't that different from Nike.  So.....when the better offer comes, you take it-pro careers are short.  Also what makes you think Nike is going to require people to do anything at all for the olympics?  They have a ton of riders who clearly are going to have no involvement with it at all.  If they wanted him to be their Olympic superstar then Im sure they had that conversation with him beforehand.
[close]

Damn you must be some kind of genius! Sorry but I think that things are little bit more complex than that. Here's a little story for you: When I was young I quickly learned that 2 dollars bought more candy than 1 dollar. Later in life I learnt that too much candy gives you a huge dentist bill. Get it?
I'm sure there's a lot of Vans riders who got tempting offers from Nike but didn't take them. Is that cause they don't understand money?
[close]

I guess I didn't learn how to spell.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike supports GT, Ishod, Lance, BA....all of those guys are 100% unhateable and deserve (I think) to get fuckin paid-like have a family/buy a house/not worry about money paid.  The shoe fetish in skating is weird.  Its not like an energy drink, people have been skating in Nikes since way before you.  Daan rules, I hope he is on Nike and I hope they give him ten million dollars so he's set.
[close]

For sure Daan was already making enough money on Vans to live comfortably and knowing that Nike was after him Vans probably offered him a descent raise. The decision to move to Nike just doesn't fit with the kinda attitude he had before(like refusing to wear a Volcom T-shirt at a contest cause he'd rather rep Anti Hero). Seeing that he's been piling out a bunch lately my guess is he's over the whole industry and was like: "fuck it, I'll take the bigger check and everyone can fuck off..."
[close]
You are either young or you don't understand money.  "Enough to live comfortably" < an offer of more money.  Grant rides for Nike, is he not "core" or Anti Hero?  Also, Daan's back tail was one of the sickest things done this year, he's been in plenty of clips, and many on this board picked him for 2018 SOTY so not really seeing your "piling out" claim.
[close]

And sure he might not be piling out in a major way but he's far from the athlete kind of attitude that Nike is gonna require from their younger riders as we're getting closer to the olympics. I just don't see this as a wise move from him.
[close]
Well, I understand that getting more money is better than less money.  He didn't ride for Simple, he rode for Vans which isn't that different from Nike.  So.....when the better offer comes, you take it-pro careers are short.  Also what makes you think Nike is going to require people to do anything at all for the olympics?  They have a ton of riders who clearly are going to have no involvement with it at all.  If they wanted him to be their Olympic superstar then Im sure they had that conversation with him beforehand.
[close]

Damn you must be some kind of genius! Sorry but I think that things are little bit more complex than that. Here's a little story for you: When I was young I quickly learned that 2 dollars bought more candy than 1 dollar. Later in life I learnt that too much candy gives you a huge dentist bill. Get it?
I'm sure there's a lot of Vans riders who got tempting offers from Nike but didn't take them. Is that cause they don't understand money?
[close]
[close]

I believe that’s acceptable in England

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

yeah, you spelt it wrong
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  And he still can’t pay his child support? Shiiiiit...

I know right? That's why Shimizu got the boot too. I could be wrong though since I pulled all of that out of my ass. That's what we do here right?

SOTY

« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
Supa smoked a joint with a few fans outside an NYC bar and was fired the next day because some Nike exec caught wind of it. True story; my cousin is actually one of Danny's closest friends and he can confirm all of this.

Big Shoe has an agenda, and you better believe that whether or not Daan is on the team has nothing to do with his skating. They're turning skateboarding into a full-on quantifiable sport. You're either with them or against them, and they spend money like water. Drink the fucking Kool-Aid. They have access to next-level laboratories and can implant all types of shit.

Tinfoil 5-panels : Dylan was a coverup. He knew things about Nike that could've changed everything.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
As a 36-year old, I encourage these guys to stack as much money as they can in this skate game(and spend none of it) -- might be the only chance they have at making real bucks in their life...

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2017, 05:59:57 AM »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2017, 06:22:34 AM »
As a 36-year old, I encourage these guys to stack as much money as they can in this skate game(and spend none of it) -- might be the only chance they have at making real bucks in their life...
This right here.  No college degree for most of these guys, if you have the chance to stack and travel the world better take it.  Buy the house and sock the rest of it away.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2017, 07:16:22 AM »
i thought that whole above conversation was about chet thomas for some reason
good come sausage

augor

• Rep: -25
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »

I just realized that in a week & a half chicks born in the year 2000 can now work in the strip club

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just realized that in a week & a half chicks born in the year 2000 can now work in the strip club

yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wtf
good come sausage

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2248
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »
True story; my cousin is actually one of Danny's closest friends and he can confirm all of this.

You're related to a Euro TM?

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
Supa smoked a joint with a few fans outside an NYC bar and was fired the next day because some Nike exec caught wind of it. True story; my cousin is actually one of Danny's closest friends and he can confirm all of this.

Big Shoe has an agenda, and you better believe that whether or not Daan is on the team has nothing to do with his skating. They're turning skateboarding into a full-on quantifiable sport. You're either with them or against them, and they spend money like water. Drink the fucking Kool-Aid. They have access to next-level laboratories and can implant all types of shit.

Tinfoil 5-panels : Dylan was a coverup. He knew things about Nike that could've changed everything.

I actually know Supa and this isnt true! He was still living in LA at the time

SOTY

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
Duh.
Edit : that's also not Dylan in the coffin  ;)

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
Janoski laughs at your numbers(and Koston's)...I guarantee he gets a % of sales and the Janoski has been and still sells 10 to 1 of any other SB model.

I agree that these guys should get their $$$ while they can. I'm 37 and my body feels wrecked from years of jumping down shit so I can't imagine how these will feel when they're well into the middle ages. When the check go away the lower back and knee pain will only be getting worse.

Natas preferred Cons

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Expand Quote
True story; my cousin is actually one of Danny's closest friends and he can confirm all of this.
[close]

You're related to a Euro TM?

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »

[/quote]
I actually know Supa and this isnt true! He was still living in LA at the time
[/quote]

The plot thickens... so did Supa get fired from nike for burning a dooby or what??

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
Janoski laughs at your numbers(and Koston's)...I guarantee he gets a % of sales and the Janoski has been and still sells 10 to 1 of any other SB model.

Nah man, Nike bought his name so they no longer have to pay him a percentage of the shoe's sales.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:49:32 PM by Seadramon »

SOTY

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
I fucking told y'all about Big Shoe.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2017, 04:39:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nah man, Nike bought his name so they no longer have to pay him a percentage of the shoe's sales.

Has this ever been verified?   

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
No, and actually I vaguely remember a Janoski interview where he says it's not true.