Author Topic: Daan on Nike bitches  (Read 50773 times)

McJagger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Daan on Nike bitches
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
Three pages no photo, link, post, website team addition/removal.

but everyone was finally able to discuss whether or not nike is bad

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In snowboarding (yeah, I went there) Nike came in, made some "innovative" boots and scooped up a very large team of contest riders only to pull the plug when they decided skateboarding would be more marketable...

Their SB division is no different. When it's not cool anymore they'll pull out.
[close]

no way!
[close]

So if Nike pulls out tomorrow (after 15 or so years) that’s shitty of them, but if they stay around that’s shitty of them.   

I don’t know much about snowboarding, but it seems like boots are a one time purchase, whereas skateboarding destroys shoes and requires replacements.   

Don’t people get tired of all this fear mongering about Nike?  We just went through worrying about Nike “culling” their team because one flow/am rider got cut and instead of kicking everyone off, they added an amazing skater.
[close]

I'm kind of impartial about nike but I was just surprised to see all this talk about them killing their golf program and none about their snowboard program whenever ago.

Snowboard boots can get pretty beat up, but you obviously wouldn't be replacing them like you would with shoes.

Isn't snowboarding a pretty big deal in the Olympics? I would think that would be motive enough to stay involved in the industry.
[close]

The Olympics hurt snowboarding real bad. It used to be the cool/rebel thing to do on the slopes but after it became just another olympic sport the kids weren't so drawn to it anymore and freestyle skiing became the cool thing to do.
[close]

I agree with this. I snowboard and worked in a snowboard/ski shop. When Shaun white was at his peak it destroyed "core" snowboarding. Now it just looks like fucking gymnastics and there's no style. It's just spin to win.
Thats some contest shit tho, freeriding still got style. Snowbaording is kinda for rich people which lowers its "core" score. expensive clothes and equipment, 4x4 vehicle, lift tickets, time off. Thats why skating is so rad, $200 gets you the same board and shoes as the pros. then hit the streets right in front you. Its tight that Shaun White ruined the whole snowboard scene i think he might have killed vert too.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
In snowboarding (yeah, I went there) Nike came in, made some "innovative" boots and scooped up a very large team of contest riders only to pull the plug when they decided skateboarding would be more marketable...

The big difference is, no one buys snowboard boots for everyday life, a ton of non-skaters buy SB. Its not like Nike needs to outsource skate shoes to something they don't specialize in. Its why they haven't entered the skating hardgoods market, and why they have left hockey, golf, and snowboarding.

Now, if Nike started making boards and other hard goods, I could see them pulling out. But, shoes is something they are already making in massive quantities, so SB would have to take such a dramatic turn down that I can't realistically see them leaving.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
Nike supports GT, Ishod, Lance, BA....all of those guys are 100% unhateable and deserve (I think) to get fuckin paid-like have a family/buy a house/not worry about money paid.  The shoe fetish in skating is weird.  Its not like an energy drink, people have been skating in Nikes since way before you.  Daan rules, I hope he is on Nike and I hope they give him ten million dollars so he's set.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2017, 05:31:57 PM »
Damn that kinda sucks, he was making those beat up slip on pros look fun to skate in. However I did just try some on at a Vans outlet and they felt like shit and were insanely low cut. So whatever let him get that Nike $$$.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »
Damn that kinda sucks, he was making those beat up slip on pros look fun to skate in. However I did just try some on at a Vans outlet and they felt like shit and were insanely low cut. So whatever let him get that Nike $$$.

skated in nike slip ons once (veronas), worst decision of my life. laceless low tops are killers for your feet.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2017, 07:37:55 PM »
I never realized Daan skating in slip-ons was such a noticeable thing.  I thought he was wearing 112s or something with the stripe on it

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2017, 01:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

no way!
[close]

So if Nike pulls out tomorrow (after 15 or so years) that’s shitty of them, but if they stay around that’s shitty of them.   

I don’t know much about snowboarding, but it seems like boots are a one time purchase, whereas skateboarding destroys shoes and requires replacements.   

Don’t people get tired of all this fear mongering about Nike?  We just went through worrying about Nike “culling” their team because one flow/am rider got cut and instead of kicking everyone off, they added an amazing skater.
[close]

I'm kind of impartial about nike but I was just surprised to see all this talk about them killing their golf program and none about their snowboard program whenever ago.

Snowboard boots can get pretty beat up, but you obviously wouldn't be replacing them like you would with shoes.

Isn't snowboarding a pretty big deal in the Olympics? I would think that would be motive enough to stay involved in the industry.
[close]

The Olympics hurt snowboarding real bad. It used to be the cool/rebel thing to do on the slopes but after it became just another olympic sport the kids weren't so drawn to it anymore and freestyle skiing became the cool thing to do.
[close]

I agree with this. I snowboard and worked in a snowboard/ski shop. When Shaun white was at his peak it destroyed "core" snowboarding. Now it just looks like fucking gymnastics and there's no style. It's just spin to win.
[close]
Thats some contest shit tho, freeriding still got style. Snowbaording is kinda for rich people which lowers its "core" score. expensive clothes and equipment, 4x4 vehicle, lift tickets, time off. Thats why skating is so rad, $200 gets you the same board and shoes as the pros. then hit the streets right in front you. Its tight that Shaun White ruined the whole snowboard scene i think he might have killed vert too.

Word.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2017, 01:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

no way!
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Word.

I thought the Crailtap guys and others skate better wood than they sell

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

no way!
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Word.
[close]

After hearing that and wondering for soo long, but never seeing evidence, who knows. But even then... its still sick that skating has remained the same price to buy into since the 80s. Aaaaannnnddd... even if its at the expense of skateshops, kids can roll for cheap and get the bug. Oh, and Nike makes great shoes I have recently realized. Go Daan!

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2017, 02:02:09 AM »
snowboarding always had the aura of a privileged type of activity.

the fact that it's primarily done on a "resort" that people typically go on vacation to kinda kills the "rebel" image. it's like trying to be a badass while doing equestrian.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2017, 03:06:17 AM »

the fact that it's primarily done on a "resort" that people typically go on vacation to kinda kills the "rebel" image. it's like trying to be a badass while doing equestrian.

Haha dead on

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha dead on

Killyoureself4000

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2017, 04:29:52 AM »
Three pages no photo, link, post, website team addition/removal.

HOW BOUT DEEZ NUTS BITCH

WAIT N SEE

THAT ENUGH PROOF FOR YA

Killyoureself4000

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2017, 04:33:16 AM »
IM PATIENTLY HITTING REFRESH ON THE NIKE WEBSITE ILL LET YA KNOW WHEN ITS OFFICIAL

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2017, 04:34:48 AM »
IM PATIENTLY HITTING REFRESH ON THE NIKE WEBSITE ILL LET YA KNOW WHEN ITS OFFICIAL

THANKS
good come sausage

bo golden

« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
Nike still makes golf shoes.  I just bought some. 

howtotictac

• Rep: 12
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »
Nike supports GT, Ishod, Lance, BA....all of those guys are 100% unhateable and deserve (I think) to get fuckin paid-like have a family/buy a house/not worry about money paid.  The shoe fetish in skating is weird.  Its not like an energy drink, people have been skating in Nikes since way before you.  Daan rules, I hope he is on Nike and I hope they give him ten million dollars so he's set.

For sure Daan was already making enough money on Vans to live comfortably and knowing that Nike was after him Vans probably offered him a descent raise. The decision to move to Nike just doesn't fit with the kinda attitude he had before(like refusing to wear a Volcom T-shirt at a contest cause he'd rather rep Anti Hero). Seeing that he's been piling out a bunch lately my guess is he's over the whole industry and was like: "fuck it, I'll take the bigger check and everyone can fuck off..."

micky682

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2017, 05:11:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure Daan was already making enough money on Vans to live comfortably and knowing that Nike was after him Vans probably offered him a descent raise. The decision to move to Nike just doesn't fit with the kinda attitude he had before(like refusing to wear a Volcom T-shirt at a contest cause he'd rather rep Anti Hero). Seeing that he's been piling out a bunch lately my guess is he's over the whole industry and was like: "fuck it, I'll take the bigger check and everyone can fuck off..."
Piling out???? He just dropped footy.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2017, 06:03:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are either young or you don't understand money.  "Enough to live comfortably" < an offer of more money.  Grant rides for Nike, is he not "core" or Anti Hero?  Also, Daan's back tail was one of the sickest things done this year, he's been in plenty of clips, and many on this board picked him for 2018 SOTY so not really seeing your "piling out" claim.

howtotictac

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You are either young or you don't understand money.  "Enough to live comfortably" < an offer of more money.  Grant rides for Nike, is he not "core" or Anti Hero?  Also, Daan's back tail was one of the sickest things done this year, he's been in plenty of clips, and many on this board picked him for 2018 SOTY so not really seeing your "piling out" claim.

What is it about money that you understand so much better than me?
And sure he might not be piling out in a major way but he's far from the athlete kind of attitude that Nike is gonna require from their younger riders as we're getting closer to the olympics. I just don't see this as a wise move from him.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

And sure he might not be piling out in a major way but he's far from the athlete kind of attitude that Nike is gonna require from their younger riders as we're getting closer to the olympics. I just don't see this as a wise move from him.
Well, I understand that getting more money is better than less money.  He didn't ride for Simple, he rode for Vans which isn't that different from Nike.  So.....when the better offer comes, you take it-pro careers are short.  Also what makes you think Nike is going to require people to do anything at all for the olympics?  They have a ton of riders who clearly are going to have no involvement with it at all.  If they wanted him to be their Olympic superstar then Im sure they had that conversation with him beforehand.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 889
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »

I don't think you're wrong, but there are a lot of like "hesh" skier/snowboarder types that live in a van and haven't paid for a lift ticket in a decade. Plus because of the wealthier casual riders you are able to work on the mountain and do lessons and things like that, which if I could get by doing skateboard lessons for youths you bet I'd be showing those kids how to fuckin kickturn.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

no way!
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Word.
[close]

[close]

After hearing that and wondering for soo long, but never seeing evidence, who knows. But even then... its still sick that skating has remained the same price to buy into since the 80s. Aaaaannnnddd... even if its at the expense of skateshops, kids can roll for cheap and get the bug. Oh, and Nike makes great shoes I have recently realized. Go Daan!
Olson said he basically didn't like skating Crailtap boards while on Girl and was happy to be getting DLX flow when Jenkem did their day in the life segment. BA on the Nine Club said he was skating DLX boards while on Crailtap.

I think what pushed this rumor into a bigger deal was how many guys skated the Chocolate 20 year boards, which were PS Stix boards. Pretty sure they all skate crail boards if they get them from crail tap, but if not will skate DLX boards and cover them in stickers. I don't think Crail is buying other boards from PS Stixs and heat transfering on Girl or Chocolate boards and giving them to their riders.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
When Girl came through last year they all skated stock girl decks, they all came and set up new decks at the shop.
The new wood is great, give it a chance.

howtotictac

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Well, I understand that getting more money is better than less money.  He didn't ride for Simple, he rode for Vans which isn't that different from Nike.  So.....when the better offer comes, you take it-pro careers are short.  Also what makes you think Nike is going to require people to do anything at all for the olympics?  They have a ton of riders who clearly are going to have no involvement with it at all.  If they wanted him to be their Olympic superstar then Im sure they had that conversation with him beforehand.

Damn you must be some kind of genius! Sorry but I think that things are little bit more complex than that. Here's a little story for you: When I was young I quickly learned that 2 dollars bought more candy than 1 dollar. Later in life I learnt that too much candy gives you a huge dentist bill. Get it?
I'm sure there's a lot of Vans riders who got tempting offers from Nike but didn't take them. Is that cause they don't understand money?

micky682

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
When Girl came through last year they all skated stock girl decks, they all came and set up new decks at the shop.
The new wood is great, give it a chance.
Would you happen to know the manufacturer? I think some people, including myself, have reservations about Crail decks because no one really knows who makes them. When I called them one time the receptionist said she wasn't even allowed to disclose that information.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Damn you must be some kind of genius! Sorry but I think that things are little bit more complex than that. Here's a little story for you: When I was young I quickly learned that 2 dollars bought more candy than 1 dollar. Later in life I learnt that too much candy gives you a huge dentist bill. Get it?
I'm sure there's a lot of Vans riders who got tempting offers from Nike but didn't take them. Is that cause they don't understand money?
What the fuck are you even going on about anymore?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

no way!
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Word.
[close]

[close]

[close]
Olson said he basically didn't like skating Crailtap boards while on Girl and was happy to be getting DLX flow when Jenkem did their day in the life segment. BA on the Nine Club said he was skating DLX boards while on Crailtap.

I think what pushed this rumor into a bigger deal was how many guys skated the Chocolate 20 year boards, which were PS Stix boards. Pretty sure they all skate crail boards if they get them from crail tap, but if not will skate DLX boards and cover them in stickers. I don't think Crail is buying other boards from PS Stixs and heat transfering on Girl or Chocolate boards and giving them to their riders.

actually, that's EXACTLY what they do.  They're not getting Anti-Hero/Real/Krooked boards and just putting stickers on them. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

bo golden

« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]