Author Topic: How cold is too cold?  (Read 18112 times)

somefucker

Re: How cold is too cold?
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2022, 10:10:02 AM »
I'm in Philadelphia and I skate every day,lately I've got the ridiculous red long johns with the button buttflap for a base layer, but the most important pieces of winter skate gear is a ninja mask and gloves

idk how ya'll are out at rizzo and muni in the 20s w wind  :'(

The real veganshawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 97
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2022, 10:55:34 AM »
It was 22 degrees yesterday when I went to the DIY. I work on a loading dock so I have cold weather gear which helps.
Cocteau Twins

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2022, 11:03:18 AM »
personally, the wind is more of a pain in the ass to me than the actual cold. it can be like 10 degrees and windy as fuck and its worse than -20 with no wind

This.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2022, 11:44:12 AM »
It was damp and 3°C here on my lunch tried to skate a curb for like 3 minutes. Didn't even warm up and said screw it. The damp kills me. I'd rather -3°C at least then it's dry.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2022, 12:15:48 PM »
when your eyes keep on tearing up so you can't see

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2022, 03:04:07 PM »
Like others have said, the wind makes it suck worse than cold. 30 is my cutoff but it has to be somewhat calm. Thermals underneath the regular gear. Dress in layers. Coffee is your friend. Oh, and a good pair of gloves.
I tried 29 degrees and wind the other day and it was a five minute sesh of misery. Hence the 30 degree cutoff.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 117
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2022, 03:09:15 PM »

TunnelVision1

• Rep: -76
  • Kingofhellfarts
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
At least my dad thinks so.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2022, 09:56:19 PM »
 Being spoiled by Florida. Like 40 degrees. Don't recall experiencing lower than that here but I stacked some good street clips a few nights in the 40s

Pinkgravy

• Rep: 4
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2022, 02:39:31 AM »

[/quote].            Oh I'm not piddling around Rizzo,I'm blasting the cruiser through the hood to 711 for coffee, or to and from the El to work.still skating everyday, but in a more "I need to keep pushing to stay warm" kinda way than working on 2push Ollie slide tricks

djoekr

• Rep: 329
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2022, 06:43:16 AM »
I don't mind the cold as long as I'm dressed for it, but lately it's been very misty here. I was wondering if skating in light mist would waterlog my deck and destroy my bushings. Anyone got any experience skating in slightly foggy conditions?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2022, 08:11:21 AM »
I know this isnt the gear thread but under armour gloves are worth it. Slim and warm, use to use them for my winter bike rides and now they come on the sesh with me

that being said 27 degrees Fahrenheit is where I usually draw the line

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2022, 10:34:52 AM »

.            Oh I'm not piddling around Rizzo,I'm blasting the cruiser through the hood to 711 for coffee, or to and from the El to work.still skating everyday, but in a more "I need to keep pushing to stay warm" kinda way than working on 2push Ollie slide tricks
[/quote]

woah dude i love blasting the cruiser through the hood. so urban

somefucker

« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2022, 10:37:47 AM »
Oh I'm not piddling around Rizzo,I'm blasting the cruiser through the hood to 711 for coffee, or to and from the El to work.still skating everyday, but in a more "I need to keep pushing to stay warm" kinda way than working on 2push Ollie slide tricks

i feel that, last night i pushed around for an hour or so since it wasn't that cold. also idk if you know but zembo has a VERY warm indoor park

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 641
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2022, 10:38:21 AM »
I don't mind the cold as long as I'm dressed for it, but lately it's been very misty here. I was wondering if skating in light mist would waterlog my deck and destroy my bushings. Anyone got any experience skating in slightly foggy conditions?

The other sunday, everything was wet and it was 9°C (48°F). I am trying to break in the Indy aftermarket 92 barrel bushings.
Landed a heelflip a bit off center and my bushings got stuck in that crooked position. It felt like a broken kingpin to me, checked everything. Nothing is broken, just that it feels really weird on my board now.
Maybe 92d bushings are too hard for colder temperatures? Will try again this weekend. If it still feels weird, I will put the 90d bottom bushings back in.

Thanks for listening to this episode of bushing madness.
IG: @flowterspace

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2022, 11:51:36 AM »
I just checked the weather and this is what the prospects are for the next week and a half  :-\

image hosting websites
I was like that looks amazing. Then realized my Canadian brain is conditioned to read everything in celsius and there was snow showing.

caked

• Rep: -35
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2022, 12:04:02 PM »
Central midwest here - just went out on my lunch break, it's about 38F with ample sun. Felt great by the end of my 30 min session, decent sweat going and popping some solid ollies.

Yesterday was actually colder despite it being warmer out, about 44F. I even saw another skater in my apartment complex when I went for a walk after work so I felt some solidarity haha. As others have said, the breeze/wind will absolutely ruin the fun! It sucks tearing up while trying to skate, or sniffling like crazy.

My limit is about 35F depending on the sun and wind. I don't usually go to parks in the winter unless it's 45F or warmer. Not visiting the indoor park lately bc of COVID raging. My limit is pretty low bc I'm a lazy 28 year old, but I do get cooped up and want to skate as much as possible. Grateful for the past two days being warm enough.

Miller92

• Rep: -280
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »
Anything below 40 I'm probably not going to skate unless the sun's out and there's a good sesh happening.

I used to skate no matter the temp but at 29 I just don't care.  I also despise the cold with every fiber of my being

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2022, 05:43:28 PM »

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2022, 05:51:10 PM »

Oh I'm not piddling around Rizzo,I'm blasting the cruiser through the hood to 711 for coffee, or to and from the El to work.still skating everyday, but in a more "I need to keep pushing to stay warm" kinda way than working on 2push Ollie slide tricks

Hey Pinkgravy, can you blast your cruiser through my hood?

commie

• Rep: 17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2022, 06:41:17 AM »
I skated in -27C (-16F) yesterday. There's hardly any snow so some of the parks are partially skateable. The biggest problems were my toes and face freezing. I did 3 half hour sessions with 10 minute breaks in the car to warm up.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
Skated in 15° F yesterday for 45 mins. Layers boys.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

djtraceman610

• Rep: 38
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2022, 07:42:38 AM »
I'm in Philadelphia and I skate every day,lately I've got the ridiculous red long johns with the button buttflap for a base layer, but the most important pieces of winter skate gear is a ninja mask and gloves

I been bitching this year so far but I'm bout to be back in the game. It's been cold but it still ain't Last Days of Love cold...

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2022, 10:31:07 AM »
I skated in -27C (-16F) yesterday. There's hardly any snow so some of the parks are partially skateable. The biggest problems were my toes and face freezing. I did 3 half hour sessions with 10 minute breaks in the car to warm up.

We have a winner!

Also loling at the Darkthrone video, thanks for the memories.

I honestly prefer a dry freezing day around 0 to -5°C to a wet one at +5° C. But a serious session is not happening then, just a quick cruise to stay sane. Maybe some mini miniramp action. Can't stand skating in longjohns, also.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2022, 12:07:27 PM »
30 is my cutoff but it has to be somewhat calm.

pretty much this for me too

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2022, 12:16:52 PM »
just get a balaclava and ur good
tuck your track pants into your high tops
wear mitts for sure

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2022, 12:23:37 PM »
Preferably nothing under the upper 30s. Once it gets below that I have a hard time warming up. If it’s in the upper 30s or above though I usually just have to move around for like ten minutes or so and I’ll warm up. I warm up pretty easily, to where I’ll be skating in like 37 degree weather in like a t-shirt eventually. Once I stop and rest for like a few minutes though I’m right back to freezing and need to rewarm up again, so the secret is never stopping moving until you’re done with the sesh.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2022, 02:10:57 AM »
Anything below 0 degrees centigrade for me is generally a no go, takes forever to warm up and it's way too easy to pull or strain something.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #208 on: December 25, 2022, 05:26:57 AM »
Single digits this week.

Too cold to go out

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 115
« Reply #209 on: December 25, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »
its not about temperature its about if the park or spot is covered in 50 cm of snow