Author Topic: How cold is too cold?  (Read 17826 times)

Crow T. Robot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Re: How cold is too cold?
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »
20 degrees is the cut off for a full session, any colder and you end up sitting in the car with the bushings near the defrost every 30 minutes or so. This is with little wind chill though, if the wind picks up its really fucked.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2018, 04:23:36 PM »
Any temp below 55F (13C) and I’m over it. I’ve been wanting to move where I can skate all year round and the temp doesn’t get any lower than that, within The States. If anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate it.
13 c ? - wtf?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:26:04 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Any temp below 55F (13C) and I’m over it. I’ve been wanting to move where I can skate all year round and the temp doesn’t get any lower than that, within The States. If anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate it.
[close]
13 c ? - wtf?
diocletian on reptilian confirmed

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »
One of the best sessions I've ever had was in the middle of a light snowfall at night when my highschool buddy got out of juvenile and wanted to skate..we hit the school parking lot; double sided curbs, curb cuts and a small stair set. However that was in the 90s. I'm now in my 40s and went skating on my street today after getting the snow tires out of storage (about 2 C) and after 5 minutes I was a snot encrusted old man with bad knees. So I'll say sunny and 10 C or I'm drinking beer inside.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Diocletian

« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
13 c ? - wtf?
[close]

Yep. Been surrounded by 4 seasons my whole life and I barely tolerate the winter.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
13 c ? - wtf?
[close]
[close]

Yep. Been surrounded by 4 seasons my whole life and I barely tolerate the winter.

me too and I barely tolerate their breakfast buffet

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
13 c ? - wtf?
[close]
[close]

[close]

me too and I barely tolerate their breakfast buffet

Ppffffffftt :)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Brguy

« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »
Expand Quote
I live in Brazil, so it never gets too cold to skate. Lowest in my city is 16ºC, which is still pretty skateable.
[close]

Not trying to make this a reverse dick-measuring contest -- you know what the cold does to one's private parts -- but I've skated in the Mantiqueira and it can get pretty cold in my town, for BR standards. Like below 10c, which is nothing and totally manageable with some minor layering... but a great excuse to just stay home instead of making the most of the "jacket weather". And then complain once the rainy season starts come october... risos risos.
That's probably because of the height, when I lived near Cantareira's Ridge it was obviously colder than the neighborhood I currently live, even it is in the same town. Also, fucking classic nickname.

jstankalwara

• Rep: -13
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »
i actually dont mind skating in the cold except for hard bushings

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2018, 10:48:35 PM »
Gosha ripping during a Moscow winter.

I can manage the cold as long as I have a place that is sheltered from the wind. My favorite winter skate sessions were at an unheated warehouse in a super cold city. The first half hour sucked because I had to wear my heavy jacket and two sweatshirts, but after that the layers came off and it was a blast. It was way more fun than the local indoor park.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2018, 12:53:14 AM »
Gosha ripping during a Moscow winter.

I can manage the cold as long as I have a place that is sheltered from the wind. My favorite winter skate sessions were at an unheated warehouse in a super cold city. The first half hour sucked because I had to wear my heavy jacket and two sweatshirts, but after that the layers came off and it was a blast. It was way more fun than the local indoor park.
That part is insane. Thanks for sharing, never seen that

oldgoodburger

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »
long johns + corduroy pants keeps your legs warm if you keep moving around. ~40°F is about the cutoff for me depending on the wind. wind sucks.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »
Below 0 degrees Celsius I draw the line and go snowboarding instead.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2018, 02:35:09 AM »
ive skated parks at negative numbers in the winter causing fucking ice patches to form that wasnt fun

as long as it's sheltered from bittery winter winds it's not too bad, just get ya layers up

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »
As long as the ground is dry and it isn't snowing. I'll skate in whatever temp.
Slamming in the cold really seems to suck more though.
Coldest I've skated was -20C. The miniramp had a roof but no walls. Chilly but worth every second.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »
Hey did you guys know that wearing multiple layers of clothing helps keep you warm

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
Hey did you guys know that wearing multiple layers of clothing helps keep you warm

and you can get certain layers besides Spitfire hoodies and walmart chinos that are purposed for warmth
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2018, 12:44:20 AM »
In the winter we usually end up skating in big parking garages so being somewhat indoors keeps things tolerable. I remember one time when we were skating a park in the winter, everyone had water bottles sitting on a ledge and they all froze

Pigeon

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:00 AM »
when your dick shrivels

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2018, 07:37:10 AM »
-10 celsius. Anything below it's hard to breathe and you are just never warm. Living in Canada if it's dry I will skate in any temperature above that.

calvinsdream

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
-10 celsius. Anything below it's hard to breathe and you are just never warm. Living in Canada if it's dry I will skate in any temperature above that.

When did you start speaking normally? You allright?

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When did you start speaking normally? You allright?
What does that mean. You mean my spelling? Some word combos just flow really well for me

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »
I thought my complements were for the greater good
 But people seem to think im being sarcastic and I start to wonder if it's worse if people are thinking they aren't genuine. Alot of walls up. Im unsure what's best to do

berries and a twig

• Rep: -7
  • fucking steak
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
Im from the Northwest Territories, Canada. Basically arctic/ sub-arctic, light out all day in the summer, but Ive also grown up with 8 month winters and didnt have an indoor place till I was 15/ 16 that was open once a week. Plug your car in in the winter, 4 hours of sunlight in the winter, -40 celsius is normal, ive worked outside in -60C. That being said when I was younger I skated in -10C but now my body wouldnt let me do that. 

Long Underwear saves lives.
Shouldn’t it be “Cory Kennedy off Nike”?  Pretty sure there’s a way to edit titles of threads.

po0t

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
the cold hurts my bones,  anything below 38F is too cold

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
Im from the Northwest Territories, Canada. Basically arctic/ sub-arctic, light out all day in the summer, but Ive also grown up with 8 month winters and didnt have an indoor place till I was 15/ 16 that was open once a week. Plug your car in in the winter, 4 hours of sunlight in the winter, -40 celsius is normal, ive worked outside in -60C. That being said when I was younger I skated in -10C but now my body wouldnt let me do that. 

Where are you? Im in Inuvik alot. The nova Inn is lit
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:59:38 AM by CoMpLeMeNts4U »

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »
When it gets to the 20's, I tap out

berries and a twig

• Rep: -7
  • fucking steak
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Where are you? Im in Inuvik alot. The nova Inn is lit

ehhhh nah Yellowknife, the "big city" Inuvik is tough shit though, my homie used to ship weed up there in diaper boxes for big dollars

You a trades contractor up there?

Shouldn’t it be “Cory Kennedy off Nike”?  Pretty sure there’s a way to edit titles of threads.

Dernpop1

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2018, 01:15:18 AM »
Lot of fucking canadians on slap there bud. Anything under freezing im watching the leafs in the heat.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
the cold hurts my bones,  anything below 38F is too cold

hahaha jesus christ that avatar pic!  That fuckin guy got SMOKED!
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog