Author Topic: new Leo Valls (16mm edit) + interview  (Read 4623 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: new Leo Valls (16mm edit) + interview
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 08:50:25 PM »
dope itw and vid!

You have to have a certain kind of magic like Leo to make a simple bs noseslide look that good. The way he links tricks is so special, his style really has matured. It's got flow and rythm, just so inspiring.

My 2 cents about the subjects broached: I think he always had his own style, from the very first vid I saw him in, he stood way out. He's just mastered his craft. Also, about the bag of tricks: age comes into play there too.... What I mean is, a powerslide variation feels more classic to me than a nollie flip. My old ass skated a good 6 to 7 years before I ever saw a nollie flip!    :-X
so true! I'll also agree with you about him mastering his craft. When he first came on the scene it looked like it he was doing straight EE3 homage (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and then he plagiarized the "Japanese style" so badly that I thought his parts needs footnotes. He certainly has combined the two and built his own unique style these days though and it flows like Jazz. And it's great that there's companies out there that want to support what he's doing. Can you imagine if he was pro doing the hammer/ pissdrunx days?
Also, I didn't like his TWS part either but a flat ground trick *can* end a part when done properly. Hell the last trick in EE3 is Ricky's switch shifty on flat!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so it was okay to fuck with them before 2018 then yeah?
(not that you'd know anything about that anyway because all you've seen is the (shitty) transworld video)
[close]

ive seen old woops new groove, and both of the SF hill street blues videos. all of them wack as fuck.

what i mean when i say "cant believe people are still fucking with magenta in 2018" is that magenta was merely just a fad in 2013-2014; as was welcome/shaped boards.
[close]

So you're saying you sent them a sponsor me tape in 2014 and they passed on it...? You're coming off wack as fuck how many times you've posted "magenta is wack as fuck" in your 27 total posts
[close]

looks like someones mad  8)

ayo bro shut ur ass up with all that "its winter break at college and im the zany boul in the crew who has the sickest memes but cant drop in so i come to slap to try to dominate there with my dusted ass character also i fuck my dad" shit bro its 2019 its the year of the fucking dog smh

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »
Expand Quote
dope itw and vid!

You have to have a certain kind of magic like Leo to make a simple bs noseslide look that good. The way he links tricks is so special, his style really has matured. It's got flow and rythm, just so inspiring.

My 2 cents about the subjects broached: I think he always had his own style, from the very first vid I saw him in, he stood way out. He's just mastered his craft. Also, about the bag of tricks: age comes into play there too.... What I mean is, a powerslide variation feels more classic to me than a nollie flip. My old ass skated a good 6 to 7 years before I ever saw a nollie flip!    :-X
[close]
so true! I'll also agree with you about him mastering his craft. When he first came on the scene it looked like it he was doing straight EE3 homage (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and then he plagiarized the "Japanese style" so badly that I thought his parts needs footnotes. He certainly has combined the two and built his own unique style these days though and it flows like Jazz. And it's great that there's companies out there that want to support what he's doing. Can you imagine if he was pro doing the hammer/ pissdrunx days?
Also, I didn't like his TWS part either but a flat ground trick *can* end a part when done properly. Hell the last trick in EE3 is Ricky's switch shifty on flat!

yes!

and exactly.

damn we agree too much.   ;D

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »
Miss 16 mm footy in skate videos. It must be the colors.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 08:59:27 AM »
the skating seemed so inconsequential in that edit. felt like watching some ty evans bullshit.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
Expand Quote
http://liveskateboardmedia.com/en/article/meeting-leo-valls

16mm video by Blake Myers, first clip in a series.

I've also shot the shit with Leo (same link) about not just the process of filming that clip but his approach to skateboarding, travels and life in general altogether, just trying to catch up with whatever he's been up to.
[close]

Dope interview. I particularly enjoyed the reflective aspects about the existential stuff and the stuff about being a local and getting involved at the city level. Would have liked to have heard more about the city stuff, actually, and was kind of bummed that it was at the end and didn't have more follow up questions.

Would be interesting to see some comparative look at how different skaters are relating to municipal governments and "regulating" skating in order to allow it to happen. I remember reading some stuff about the Santa Monica Courthouse and some other spots, but might be interesting to write up something cohesive that outlines different strategies and tactics that skaters have engaged in while relating to city governments.

bumping this thread because this just came out:

https://kingpinmag.com/features/interviews/skateurbanism-leo-valls-making-bordeaux-skateboard-friendly-city.html

and is relevant to what you were asking for!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:37:17 PM by silhouette »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
Y'all might want to consider that there's a difference between opinions and facts. You can't prove that your opinion is correct. So sorry.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »