Author Topic: New Nyjah Huston Thrasher cover  (Read 22898 times)

getonkrooked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -104
Re: New Nyjah Huston Thrasher cover
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All of Thrasher's staff photographers are the blandest in the business.

I still think the worst cover was Dane Burman's 50-50 in Philly. The number 1 gnarliest thing about that trick was the gigantic drop off the end, but Burnett shot it from above so you couldn't see the height of the drop at all. Some dude took a way better phone photo from the bottom. It just doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of younger photographers killing the game in California but they can't get a look because the old boys club runs the show. Glad they gave Spitzer the last cover at least...
[close]

Transworld’s been using them.   They’ve always had great photos.  Not sure why they’ve been getting hate on here recently.
[close]
Ive had subscriptions to both for years and Thrasher is straight up trash. The writing is boring, the photos are bad and no way i would want to re-read any of them. Thrasher seems to cover a side of skateboarding that has very little appeal to me and its rare they have an article i want to read, and even when they do run an article that i might like its always super bland and disappointing.
 In the last few years TWS lost alot of content and now it just feels pretty weak and thin. dont really like the new big format they run with the matte paper but its way better than the small matte version they ran before that with the nasty feeling paper.
TWS always have better photos than Thrasher but euro mags like Solo, Free, Vague and North blow them out of the water with better content, photos, creative pieces and overall feel and vibe. I miss Kingpin.

Free is straight up the best magazine out there these days. The articles, the covers, the photos even the layout is all incredible.

Jimbo Jones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
There’s a ton of great mags out there. Look no further than here: https://theories-of-atlantis.myshopify.com/collections/mags

Jimbo Jones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
Definitely agree with the sentiment that Thrasher covers are all about the “big spots”. Is there anyone else that finds Phelps insufferable? The man bases his SOTY decision off whoever does the biggest handrail.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
Phelps needs to get stronger eyeglass cylinders,this cover is terrible!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2018, 05:33:29 AM »
Definitely agree with the sentiment that Thrasher covers are all about the “big spots”. Is there anyone else that finds Phelps insufferable? The man bases his SOTY decision off whoever does the biggest handrail.

ave...

ungzilla

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2018, 07:55:28 AM »
+ wes, + ishod

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »
I find this opinion of Phelps more annoying than Phelps
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »

I still think the worst cover was Dane Burman's 50-50 in Philly. The number 1 gnarliest thing about that trick was the gigantic drop off the end, but Burnett shot it from above so you couldn't see the height of the drop at all. Some dude took a way better phone photo from the bottom. It just doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of younger photographers killing the game in California but they can't get a look because the old boys club runs the show. Glad they gave Spitzer the last cover at least...

Strongly agree, how about the recent Foy cover. He does one of the sickest tricks ever and the photo angle and cropping makes it look like a frontside 5050.

"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

deluxxxe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Strongly agree, how about the recent Foy cover. He does one of the sickest tricks ever and the photo angle and cropping makes it look like a frontside 5050.

yeah I wasn't a fan of that one either - I don't know shit about photography but kinda seems like an amateur move to shoot a fs crook from that angle

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2018, 11:06:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah I wasn't a fan of that one either - I don't know shit about photography but kinda seems like an amateur move to shoot a fs crook from that angle

i wonder how much shake junt money you get to be worth having it on your grip on a cover

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2018, 10:17:38 AM »
I would have liked this more

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2018, 03:38:06 AM »
I would have liked this more

That is so much better than the actual cover
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

eastenders

• Rep: -115
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2018, 03:50:31 AM »
saying this is a fakie 50-50 triggers me so hard.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2018, 07:15:01 AM »
saying this is a fakie 50-50 triggers me so hard.

Because he's obviously farting a fakie ollie down the stairs

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
MY Fav cover

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

From the way Arubas face looked from the footage made me think he wasn't expecting a first try roll away. Regardless of that I doubt he was planning on framing it any other way which, like you said is a mind blowing amateur move.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:30 AM »
Burnett shot this one and blew it

billyerlife

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
I think a common factor to all these shots is that they are fucking monumental, and anyone who has ever tried to take a picture of a full moon or a mountain range will tell you it never turns out as cool as it looked in real life.

Anyone see the Nyjah cover in real life yet? Wondering how much the low res instagrab was a factor in its ambiguity.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2018, 09:10:54 PM »
Here's hoping he doubles down and it's 18 pages of talking about why skateboarding is still not for girls.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
Burnett shot this one and blew it
Eh shoulda known.

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »
Is this the same trick/spot different angle? If so, it's a fakie 5050
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:58:28 PM by DM »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
The interview was on par with how terrible that photo is, I promise.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »
At least he's wearing pants

ungzilla

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
the single guaranteed positive thing you can say about any clip wherein Nyjah is wearing pants

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2018, 12:53:13 AM »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2018, 03:08:46 PM »

I like Phelps but it seems like you’re right. The big handrail killers are rarely my favorite.

Would be nice to seem Thrasher switch it up and give to someone like... well... Tiago

MTLDIPSET

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »
Thrasher really made a statement this year by not giving the greatest ledge skater of all time the SOTY nod. It’s been the same type of skater skating the same stuff forever, they could at least aknowledge us* for one fucking year. Nope, Same old shit made me realize my soty pick will never, ever be the one.

*insert any sw back tail photo here

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ave...

Ave soty is like Marc Johnson one. Just for honor some legends. All new guys Soty is rail skaters. Leo, Gonzales, Walker, Foy, Ishod (yeah, ishod drops big rails too).

marty mcfly

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 02:32:55 PM »
Thrasher really made a statement this year by not giving the greatest ledge skater of all time the SOTY nod. It’s been the same type of skater skating the same stuff forever, they could at least aknowledge us* for one fucking year. Nope, Same old shit made me realize my soty pick will never, ever be the one.

*insert any sw back tail photo here

You kidding?!! Let him ssbsts everything,but he's still not even close to shane or PJ!!!