Author Topic: Indy Forged v. Indy Standard  (Read 33011 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Indy Forged v. Indy Standard
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:29:11 AM »
Forged: 53mm. Lighter. Lower.
Standard: 55mm. Heavier. Higher.

Which do you like better? Discuss.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

getonkrooked

• Rep: -104
Re: Indy Forged v. Indy Standard
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 04:41:55 AM »
I'm about to buy some new trucks after a year of using my standards and was wondering too if I should upgrade to the forged hollow ones.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:50:52 AM »
forged are made in China, right?

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:19 AM »
skating the forged ones now and my nollie bs heels feel on point.

Everything is perfect.

Might try standards again after these are a bust.

I like to blame my setup when I can't do certain tricks but it's just probably my lack of skating or hangover.

Don't think theres that much difference between the two when u are actually skating. With standards your friend might take your board and say "wow your board is so much heavier than mine".

The forged ones are a tad lower tho hence the quick snap for my nollie bs heels, however not sure how it affects anything else.

I say go for the standards if you appreciate the height and turn more or go for the hollows to make your friends shut up about your heavy board or if you like to peek through the hollow axle/smoke a joint through it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:49:48 AM by HHH »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
Forged hollows are great, perfect height.

ungzilla

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
forged if you do a lot slappies and hate when the bolt holes ovalize in like a week

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »
I've never skated any Indys besides standard. I fear change .. But tell me more!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »
I've never skated any Indys besides standard. I fear change .. But tell me more!

Indy makes two versions of the 55mm high truck: The standard Indy, and a hollow axle version. Both of these have the standard Indy base plate, which as someone already mentioned, can have the hardware holes oval-out with time.

Indy also makes two versions of the 53mm* high truck. The forged hollow (hollow axle and kingpin), and the titanium (only the axle is titanium). These have the forged base plate, which is stronger and thinner than the standard Indy base plate. Thus, the base plate holes won't oval-out, and the truck is lower than standard Indys. Prior to the release of Stage VI Indys, all their trucks were 53mm high. When Stage VI came out, they made the standard version 55mm high. This caused a lot of controversy. Some like the added height. Others hate it.

I have ridden both the 53mm and the 55mm version. I notice a difference. First, with the 55mm version, the board hits a higher angle on nollie/ollies. This gives you a better "pop" (see this video where Paul Schmitt talks about the physics of board height/angle and pop.)

).

I definitely notice this. However, it can also lead to more "ghost popping" at times (when tail never actually hits the ground). The 55mm also seems to turn a bit better, because there is a bit more wheel clearance. Last, the 55mm can feel a little "tipsy because of their height. I notice this the most when doing 50/50s on round rails.

The 53mm don't seem to pop quite as good, but have less ghost pop, and feel more stable because they are lower to the ground. IMHO, 53mm is a great height that is halfway between a lower truck (Thunder) and higher ones (standard Indy, Ace, etc.). Although it isn't that much, you can notice a weight difference between the forged hollow trucks, and the standard Indy.

If you want the lightest Indy, with height options, get the titanium version (comes with lower forged base plate), and just add a thin riser if you want that 55mm height. You can always make a 53mm forged Indy perform like the taller standard 55mm Indy (e.g. w/1.5-2mm riser), but you can never make a 55mm standard Indy perform like the 53mm forged version.     

*Indy claims the height on these is 53.5mm. Every time I've measured them they were 53mm.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:13:33 PM by Sedition »

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indy makes two versions of the 55mm high truck: The standard Indy, and a hollow axle version. Both of these have the standard Indy base plate, which as someone already mentioned, can have the hardware holes oval-out with time.

Indy also makes two versions of the 53mm* high truck. The forged hollow (hollow axle and kingpin), and the titanium (only the axle is titanium). These have the forged base plate, which is stronger and thinner than the standard Indy base plate. Thus, the base plate holes won't oval-out, and the truck is lower than standard Indys. Prior to the release of Stage VI Indys, all their trucks were 53mm high. When Stage VI came out, they made the standard version 55mm high. This caused a lot of controversy. Some like the added height. Others hate it.

I have ridden both the 53mm and the 55mm version. I notice a difference. First, with the 55mm version, the board hits a higher angle on nollie/ollies. This gives you a better "pop" (see this video where Paul Schmitt talks about the physics of board height/angle and pop.)

).

I definitely notice this. However, it can also lead to more "ghost popping" at times (when tail never actually hits the ground). The 55mm also seems to turn a bit better, because there is a bit more wheel clearance. Last, the 55mm can feel a little "tipsy because of their height. I notice this the most when doing 50/50s on round rails.

The 53mm don't seem to pop quite as good, but have less ghost pop, and feel more stable because they are lower to the ground. IMHO, 53mm is a great height that is halfway between a lower truck (Thunder) and higher ones (standard Indy, Ace, etc.). Although it isn't that much, you can notice a weight difference between the forged hollow trucks, and the standard Indy.

If you want the lightest Indy, with height options, get the titanium version (comes with lower forged base plate), and just add a thin riser if you want that 55mm height. You can always make a 53mm forged Indy perform like a standard 55mm Indy taller (e.g. w/riser), but you can never make a 55mm standard Indy perform like the 53mm forged version.     

*Indy claims the height on these is 53.5mm. Every time I've measured them they were 53mm.

Wow this ghost pop thing is super spot on. As someone who is used to Thunders, when I tried Titanium Indys for the first time I noticed I was doing that a lot. I always felt a little less stable on indy's because they were higher, but did notice that the pop with them was alway nice.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »
Wow this ghost pop thing is super spot on. As someone who is used to Thunders, when I tried Titanium Indys for the first time I noticed I was doing that a lot. I always felt a little less stable on indy's because they were higher, but did notice that the pop with them was alway nice.

Yeah, when you crack a good ollie on Indys...nothing feels as good/floaty.

Smartass

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm liking my Thunders a lot right now, but your post got me thinking about running my set-up with the Indy Titaniums again.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm liking my Thunders a lot right now, but your post got me thinking about running my set-up with the Indy Titaniums again.

I rode the Team Hollows for about six months. They are decent, but I had three issues with them. First, their base plates are too short on the front end. This causes the wheels to hit the side of ledge, instead of the end of the base plate. Unless the side of the ledge is super waxed, the wheels can "bite" and abruptly end your nose/tail slide. This does not happen on Indys (or pretty much any other truck). Second, Indys just pop better (see above). I don't do nearly as many really tech flip tricks as I used to, so I want a good pop for height on the easier ones that I still do. Last, nothing turns as good as Indys. Nothing. :)  I had a good run on Thunders, but Indys are just the best all-around truck for me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:34:34 PM by Sedition »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
From my personal experience I don't mind a heavier truck and board. The lighter the board the more frail it feels. I like to know that my boards can take a beating.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
The lighter the board the more frail it feels.

Truth.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
I'm the opposite.  I like performance but I want anything I use to be lighter if possible.  I don't love heavy shit.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
Don't forget about the Reynolds Hollow's. The lightest 55mm Indy since it's the only model with the standard cast baseplate and hollow kingpin/axle.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 08:42:26 PM »
Don't forget about the Reynolds Hollow's. The lightest 55mm Indy since it's the only model with the standard cast baseplate and hollow kingpin/axle.

Not the only. Wes Kremer, Figgy, etc. all have both hollow axle and kingpin.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:48:13 PM by Sedition »

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »
Shit, yeah you're right.

Smartass

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
Dammit Sid, I ended up putting the Titanium’s on my back up set now. Probably going to use that once the weather clears up.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 10:51:12 PM »
Dammit Sid, I ended up putting the Titanium’s on my back up set now. Probably going to use that once the weather clears up.

Ride the Best. :)

Diocletian

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »
Nothing turns as good as Indys. Nothing.

Stage 11’s turn slow after you’ve been on some Ace’s or Stage 7’s.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Faster does not necessarily equal better.

Diocletian

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ace trucks have a snappier and deeper turn. You can carve smoothly and lean hard while still having incredible quickness to it and minimal wheelbite. Stage 11’s are just tippy and sluggish no matter what bushings you use. There’s no best truck, but modern Indys definitely fall behind Ace and Indy’s previous stages.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 01:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ace trucks have a snappier and deeper turn. You can carve smoothly and lean hard while still having incredible quickness to it and minimal wheelbite. Stage 11’s are just tippy and sluggish no matter what bushings you use. There’s no best truck, but modern Indys definitely fall behind Ace and Indy’s previous stages.

I def think the lower Indy forged (same height as previous Indys) are better than then standard 55 Indys, which do feel too tippy. 100% agree. My experience with Aces were that they were too quicky. If you ride really, really loose truck I could see them winning out over Indys. I ride loose to medium, and Aces just felt like something was "off" with them. The perfect truck to me would be Indy Stage 10 geometry, but made with Thunder svelt/lightness.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »
standard, heavier, and higher.
i don't mind the extra pounds

Smartass

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
Had a good sesh with the titaniums yesterday. I will say that I do like them, but I do like the way thunders turn better. You're right on the money about that ollie though. I'm going to switch to main set up with thunders today, and see how I feel again.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
I'm going to switch to main set up with thunders today, and see how I feel again.

When I tried Thunders again after riding Indys for awhile my first thought was, “Wow. These turn like a toy store board.” :)

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:37 PM »
I have the 149 Koston Forged Hollows. The Koston part doesn't make a difference but that's the pair I was given by my friend who gets Indy Flow. Anyway, not sure if it's just in my head but I feel they're somewhat lighter and better. Don't skate nothing too crazy nowadays but stick to flatground, slappies, and some tranny. They seem solid so far. Built tough.

Randozzi

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
Standard stage XI with conical bushings, perfect combo.

Diocletian

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I def think the lower Indy forged (same height as previous Indys) are better than then standard 55 Indys, which do feel too tippy. 100% agree. My experience with Aces were that they were too quicky. If you ride really, really loose truck I could see them winning out over Indys. I ride loose to medium, and Aces just felt like something was "off" with them. The perfect truck to me would be Indy Stage 10 geometry, but made with Thunder svelt/lightness.

Right on, I did try the stage 11 titaniums and they were very well made and the grinds were pure butter. Just the turning, even though it was less tippy than the standards it was still slow. Ace kinda ruined my ability to get used to anything slower than their turn haha. I never tried the stage 10’s but from what I’ve read it seems like the turn wasn’t much better than the current stage, if anything it was even slower.

I have stage 7’s and they have a very similar turn to Ace, nice and quick but not super crazy like you describe the way they felt for you. I understand how people feel that way, they are some pretty wild and loose as hell turning trucks. If you’re interested I would sell my 146mm Stage 7’s to you, as I have an extra set that’s got tons of life left in them. Just put some fresh new grade 8 kingpins in them, too.