Author Topic: Alex Olson | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 81  (Read 19525 times)

Still Tippin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Alex Olson | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 81
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote

I actually like these more than the OG Dylans, did they ever release them?
[close]

Interesting. I remember a picture floating around of a different dress-shoe looking model that had the fake heel built in sort of like Austyn's shoe, and someone saying it was gonna be the AO pro model. I think it ended up being released as a team model in the surf line or something like that. But it being an AO pro model may have just been rumour.
I had that shoe. It was part of the now-defunct OTW line. Can't remember the model name, but i remember buying it twice.

edit: woops, didn't finish reading and realized someone said it was the woessner.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:32:24 PM by Still Tippin »

MC3

• Rep: 128
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »

I made this and sent it to Challex. I also told him that as someone who has tried to learn the bass in the last year that I'd buy a board with him naked in front of a mirror with a bass
(Cool Trick GIF)

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
that’s weird dude
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

MC3

• "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
nah fam it's 2018
(Cool Trick GIF)

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2018, 12:48:15 AM »
Good interview. I thought his comments about Mike Mo were funny, they seem to have completely different attitudes. Although, if you are as good as Mike Mo was at ledge skating, I don't care if you can grind a rail or skate a ramp, you deserve to be pro.

Alex comes across as unfiltered and honest, which is rare. How he manages 917, reminds me of how people talk about Ed running Toy, except Ed actually having artistic skill for graphics. I forget who it was from Toy who talked about how filming for projects pre-Jamie Thomas joining was chill and just collect footage and send it, whereas JT was always organized and dictating how things should be done. This seems to be Alex's approach.

Like how he talked about the Ty experience. There was a lot of talk on how he burned guys out, especially those who did the Fully Flared experience and then dealt with the Pretty Sweet one right after. It might work with younger guys or Guy (who was really motivated and probably looking for a positive outlook after going sober), but probably burned out a lot of the older guys.

Expand Quote
who does he call out when he says toward the beginning about someone not getting on chocolate?
[close]

Lee Smith
Considering how long they kept Daniel Castillo on, I'm surprised Lee Smith never got on.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2018, 03:40:00 AM »

I made this and sent it to Challex. I also told him that as someone who has tried to learn the bass in the last year that I'd buy a board with him naked in front of a mirror with a bass
ode to Flea....dude did that shite decades ago on stage...pfft!
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do young kids still get stoked about board graphics? I'm wondering if we older skaters have just seen so much, it's not as exciting anymore.

Crossed paths with Alex once in Greenpoint. I was leaving a bodega and he held the door for me on the way out as he was going in. If you've ever been to NYC, no one holds doors for each other. I appreciated that.

I dug the 917 video when it came out. Only watched it once, but it got me stoked on going skating that day.

Interesting to hear his thoughts on Pretty Sweet. I tried to watch that video, but all I can remember is the drone shot at the beginning. I think Guy had 2 parts or something as well?

Def appreciate his not hyping up running a brand mentality and hinting that it's not all that glamorous. Put logos on products, repeat...
[close]

Just moved to Greenpoint a month ago. If anyone holds a door for me, I'll know who it is.

Anyone else think the edit got really choppy toward the end? Like abrupt jump-cut convo transitions?
[close]

petty, but crob's impression of greenpoint being "way out there", even alex's is off. it's on the river across from midtown, and 3 subway stops with one transfer from the east villagein 15 mins tops. takes a fucking hour to go from santa monica to DTLA, what defines "out there"?

also don't recall crob ever laying any east coast footage down whatsoever so fuck would he know.

Ha, agreed. Even if you miss a train, you'd still get wherever you're going way faster than LA traffic. I don't feel like it's out there at all. It's just not right off the L in Williamsburg -- which is totally fine with me.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »
Speaking of vans dropping the ball on shit, they should make the AV3's again. Shoe was magical.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »
Speaking of vans dropping the ball on shit, they should make the AV3's again. Shoe was magical.
I must've gotten a defective pair because mine fell apart from just walking around in them, everyone who's had them seemed to have loved their pairs. Would be cool to see that same design with a waffle cup sole

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2018, 02:42:27 AM »
when alex says he 5-0ed the UCI rail with a crew but no one filmed or shot any of it

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:07 AM »
What’s funny is I’m pretty Jovontae Turner said “they owe” a few episodes back about taking carloads of product from World Industries.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2018, 07:14:42 AM »
It was nice of Crob not to 'right right right....' Over Alex's 'right right right'ing.....

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
What’s funny is I’m pretty Jovontae Turner said “they owe” a few episodes back about taking carloads of product from World Industries.

You know what else is funny?

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2018, 10:52:30 PM »
"THEY OWE!"

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2018, 01:47:50 AM »
I lol’d so hard when he said he cried on the drive home after the Pretty Sweet premier.

Also, after the last pair of vans I had had the soles coming apart/unglued (something I’ve found out that a ton of people complain about) plus listening to this episode I won’t touch another pair of vans with a ten foot poll.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:55:00 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2018, 04:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Just finished the episode and loved it. I've always been an AO fan and never understood the hate on him. Great skater with tons of power and style. The worst things you could say about him is he quit a bunch of companies, and that he's kinda awkward. But let's be honest, in retrospect, every company decision he's made has turned out really well for him. And the awkward thing I like. He's a skater. I'd rather see someone fumble and be funny than have a canned bullshit response for cameras. Plus he doesn't hold back.

However, swooning aside, the bit about his board graphics was rather embarrassing to me as someone who buys his brand for our shop and thinks the graphics are fucking terrible.
[close]

i think he's fine overall but when he says some wild shit that is pretty much a lie, it makes me not like him.

I think people still care about graphics, all the gimmicks in FA/Hockey boards really got people psyched for a while, I remember that pretty clearly. I don't think that's any different now, it's just that there aren't that many iconic graphics being made these days and hype precedes quality.

Go on...

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
I don't think I've ever read an interview of his. Guess I mostly thought of him by that Berra quote  and some other of his Tumblr posts or something with misspellings in them that were floating around here a few years ago. Definitely comes off brighter, more thoughtful than my  impression of him was. Haven't listened to all these episodes, but that was the first "Fuck Berra" I've heard on the 9 Club. A historical moment.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Logan Lara does seem like a good candidate for the show despite being a younger dude. He is much better at filming and editing than that Illegal Civ kook plus looks pretty good on a board. He is also friends with tbe Illusion so he's gotta be cool.

I wish Alex would have explained the panic during his first look at the 917 edit. It was confusing to whether much wss changed or not. Also I love disco and house but praise jah the video wasn't full of that. Could have been pretty cheesy, plus the soundtrack turned out to be a classic- in particular Aiden Mackey skating to Todd Rundgren's "I Saw the Light" and Max Palmer the Plugz "Blue Sofa"
[close]

Does anyone know how to get an mp3 of the Plugz or that song?  Not into streaming

if you find the song on youtube and copy the link link:
and paste it in this page it will convert to your iTunes etc.: http://www.listentoyoutube.com

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
I always thought it was cool Girl officially put him on 6/6/06. I'd love it if someone could find that interview he did for Transworld around then, where Spanky interviewed him. There were some really good photos in there.

I loved his skating back then, and in Fully Flared, but thought he got kinda lame when he started getting into fashion and making mediocre electronic music, and I wasn't super into his stuff in Pretty Sweet.

This and The Bunt interview have made me like him more too though, as people have been saying.

I wish he talked more about Danny Renaud being a dick though. On The Bunt, he was saying Dill was mad he showed up for that trip, cause he wasn't even invited or something. Love Renaud, and his comeback, but I still think it's funny what a feral dickhead kid he used to be.

was actually looking at that mag the other day... ill try to put it up for you.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
Damn that would be amazing!

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »
here ya go... sorry for the shit quality, running an iphone 4...

https://themcduff.imgur.com/all/

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
Oh fuck yeah that's still great.

I remember wanting that Sonic Youth beanie so bad, and hanging that fs feeble photo on my wall when it came out.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »

Too many great guests lately

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »
I don't think there's a single thing he actually likes. Spent the whole podcast talking about shit he isn't down for, hardly anything spent talking about what the dude actually likes. Grinch.
Loved it though, it's funny when you take notice of that quality about him and realize how pessimistic he is. It's funny in a ridiculous sort of way.