Author Topic: A question for the geezers on the board  (Read 1347 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
A question for the geezers on the board
« on: February 20, 2007, 05:25:59 AM »
Any one get sore knees after compressing drops?

I skated this knee high manual pad for an hour or so yesterday and right knee (back foot skating) feels like shit today. I am trying to figure out if I am just too old for compressing drops or if maybe I am missing something here. I also missed a manual one time and did the splits so maybe that was what hurt it, not sure.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • RIP
Re: A question for the geezers on the board
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:55:19 AM »
maybe u should stop givng so many blowjobs

golgo13

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »
stretching def helps, taking 15 min to stretch before a session might do some good.
also weight can be a factor too, if you're over your ideal height weight then your joints are gonna be a little more succeptable to injury.
but knee high isnt much, so you might have some cartilege problems or something. my knees swell up more from the rain than skating though.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »
I'm a bit stalkier than when I was younger and skated and was thinking maybe that's what it was. My weight is around 195lbs though and it seems like some pro's are probably around there too (DWay would have to be) so maybe that's not it. I'd really hate to not be able to skate any terrain so hopefully just hurt it when I slammed.

golgo13

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »
im bigger too but my build/weight/height is all in line .
i remember when i was heavier and my knees and feet would freaking ache like theres no tomorrow.
after dropping pounds i havent had any problems, and i run twice a week too.
then again you might have bad knees, hard to say. try taking some glucosimine pills, wife does it and it seems to help her hip.

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
I'm a bit stalkier than when I was younger and skated and was thinking maybe that's what it was. My weight is around 195lbs though and it seems like some pro's are probably around there too (DWay would have to be) so maybe that's not it. I'd really hate to not be able to skate any terrain so hopefully just hurt it when I slammed.
But on the other hand DWay hits the gym quite often, so he can make up for bad joints by gaining more muscles to support the knees. Donīt know, maybe you also work out on a regular basis...

My knees and my back hurts  frequently. But my knees are worse when I donīt skate for like 2 weeks. Anyone have that experience? Like it just starts hurting like fuck when I walk. And when I get back on my board, the hurting disappears.
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »
I work out 2-3 times a week. I could stand to loose 15-20lbs but I think I am height weight proportionate. I actually work out for the reason you stated, just to stay fit so that I can stay active and healthy. I am begining to think that maybe I twisted it a bit when I did the splits.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
I twisted both of my knees at different times.....no medical insurance meant not skating and walking around in a knee brace for over a year.....at separate times though.......not cool at all.....these days....I don't skate nearly as much as I would like and still have problems walking around every once in a while.lame.
The poster formally known as 1992..

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
Right knee, the pushing knee, arthritic as fuck, hurts ALL the time, can't skate to much or it just start hurting constantly, needs to be kept warm all the fucking time, it's just a hassel, that shit's only going to get worse as well the fucker.

Cod liver oil pills seem to be working, but if i skip them for even like 2 days running, sore knee is right back, no milling about, the cold sucks ass as that makes it hurt

basically it just feels like it need lubed, it's liek bearings that ned oiled or something, just grinding on the bone i hate it more and more

Still go skating as much as i can though
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »
is it arthritic because of the skating? compressing drops?

E.l.G

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »
Glucosamine and condroitin.

isaac

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
Glucosamine and condroitin.
Took that for a while, it worked. Wish I kept up with it. I need to get some more.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 04:22:29 PM »
i think running helps but i wouldn't say it's the best thing....if you love it..do it..but i think runnings gnarly on your  joints....riding a bike...or even better...swimming...might be better... 

might be an idea to pop into a physio or sports med. guy...they might charge you a bit but they can give you some better pointers than we can quite likely....

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »
Do you skate mob? You could've landed too hard on your back foot.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »
I'm 33, and I skate street harder than ever. That means everything on me hurts, pretty much all the time.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 04:07:30 AM »
Do you skate mob? You could've landed too hard on your back foot.

I haven't heard mob used in that way before. I most likely mob my flip tricks but what does that mean as far as compressing a landing is concerned?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »
If you did a split you probably just stretched your muscle to much, give it a couple days to rest up. Try stretching before skating and after. Also Tiger Balm can help the pain, it smells bad but helps a lot.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 07:15:22 AM »
thanks vegan

golgo13

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »
i think running helps but i wouldn't say it's the best thing....if you love it..do it..but i think runnings gnarly on your  joints....riding a bike...or even better...swimming...might be better... 

might be an idea to pop into a physio or sports med. guy...they might charge you a bit but they can give you some better pointers than we can quite likely....

Yeah it can be hard on the joints but swimming is a different type of work out. Low impact and less results. Biking to be done effectively you gotta bike for over 2 hours and ride a crazy amount of miles.with 45-1 hour of running seems to kick my ass proper and i always loose some fat and gain muscle. sucks i even have to think about this stuff but i wanna keep skating as long as possible, not to mention i dont wanna be like the rest of this country and have some massive gut and be so out of shape. my metabolisim is so freaking jacked up now i could eat whatever i wanted.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »
I've heard that swimming doesn't burn as many calories because your body tempature is lower. There is a heated lap pool at my complex, I wonder if that would make a difference...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:08 AM »
sounds like bullshit..like 'don't drink cold water...it'll shock your metabolism and make you fatter...' 

welcome to the 'i'm not ollie of off of it unless i can ollie up it' club...

sebastian toombs

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:19:27 AM »
I've heard that swimming doesn't burn as many calories because your body tempature is lower. There is a heated lap pool at my complex, I wonder if that would make a difference...

swimming is pretty aerobic, and its good for your joints...  do a few sets of laps slowly so as to work your back, shoulders, knees, and then some really fast to get your heart going.  maybe ill go swimming today, i need some exercise.  when im in vancouver, i never work out because i work-- carrying shit around, twisting, bending, etc.  but here in ontario i dont do anything except waste time at this damn message board.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 09:22:14 AM »
glucosamine is good. Water is underrated.
The best thing I think is just riding the mountain bike and doing leg exercises at the gym.