Author Topic: COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Chima 2 and AVE Rapidweld  (Read 9973 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1174
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Chima 2 and AVE Rapidweld
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »
COFFEE BREAK WITH THE VANS CHIMA 2 AND AVE RAPIDWELD

My main reason for wanting to check out the Chima 2 was to get my hands on the new Ultracush 3D insole.  I still miss those older Ultracush insoles with the gel in the heel, so I was hoping the new insoles would pick up where those left off.  I've also been curious about the AVE Rapidweld...not beeing very keen on the appearance, but wanting to try out the shoe anyways.

Toe Shape

Chima 2

The two best parts about the Chima 2 toe is 1) it looks a bit like an updated Agah, and 2) it looks like a vulc version of the OG Adidas Lucas Pro (which is my favorite toe ever).  Unlike the first Chima shoe, in which my toes were cramped, there's ample room in the Chima 2 toe, even with the bulky Ultracush insole.  Out of the box, I had a little pressure on top of my metatarsal bones, but the shoe loosened up after a half hour or so and havent bugged me since. 

AVE Rapidweld

The AVE Rapidweld toe has a great shape too.  It's nice and wide and doesnt cramp your toes.  I'm still not entirely sold on the rubber toe piece, but it fits really well.  It is a tiny bit narrower than the Chima 2, but it is not as pointy as an old skool.

Sidewalls

AVE Rapidweld

The sidewalls of the AVE Rapidweld are very very thin.  I personally love a sock-feel to a shoe (i.e. the Rowley SPV), so this is a selling point for me.  The fancy materials skate like canvas but dont wear out in the first hour like canvas.  Also, the AVE have the standard pro 'straight-cut' on the foxing area...which I don't like as much as the scalloped look of the Crockett 2 or the Chima 2.

Chima 2

The sidewalls of the Chima 2 is very similar to the Crockett 2, but on a standard vulc sole rather than the waffle cup.  It's Vans vulc...not too much else to describe here really.

Collar, Heel lock

Chima 2

There arent any bells & whistles to the Chima 2 collar, but it's comfortable and fit my foot well without digging into my achilles at all.  Vans definitely re-worked something on these because the heel lock is much better than most of the pro line I've skated in the past.  Most of the time, my foot feels a little too raised off the ground with the Pros, but in the Chima 2, my heel feels right where it's supposed to be.  I'm a stickler for heel lock and my only gripe with the Chima 2 is that the eyelets dont come up high enough to really cynch the top of foot down in the shoe.  This is not going to be something most people will care about, so if youre someone who doesnt lace your shoes all the way up, then forget I mentioned it.

AVE Rapidweld

The AVE Rapidweld collar is shaped a bit different than the standard Vans shoe in that it molds to your Achilles a bit more, which makes for a good fit.  Otherwise, it's pretty standard Vans stuff.  The softer material around the collar is a nice touch though.  The heel lock of the AVE Rapidweld is the same as any other Vans Pro shoe.  If you like the Pros, you'll like the AVE Rapidweld and maybe even a little more.

Insole

Chima 2 (Ultracush 3D) / AVE Rapidweld (Ultracush HD)

The arch is higher/stiffer on the 3D insole, and little bit narrower

Arch of the 3D

3D

Heel of the 3D

So, when I first pulled out the 3D insole I thought "why would would I want to have a piece of plastic in my shoe".  The thing is stiff and probably supplies 90% of the Chima 2's 'structure' or 'shape'.  When you take the insole out, you can fold the shoe in half with one hand (similar to the Rowley SPV)

But with the insole inside the shoe, the Chima 2 fits and feels more like a Waffle Cup shoe like the Crockett 2 than a regular 'pro' shoe.  I'd typically rather have the construction of the shoe itself do the work when it comes to stability, but the Ultracush 3D insole is quite comfortable and does it's job well.

The Chima 2 might not be a technological step forward for Vans or skate shoes in general, but the toe design and the new fancy insole make it worth checking out if you were already wanting to try skating it.  I'd say it's a shoe for those of you who don't like the Pro line and dont want to skate the Waffle Cup, but still want to give Vans a try.   

hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
Re: COFFEE BREAK with the VANS Chima 2 and AVE Rapidweld
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »
Thanks for this write-up, I really appreciate the time and money you put into these so we don't have to.

patob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
Great review, like always!!!

coneklr

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
God damn Art you are killing these!  Enough to make me even consider trying that chima 2.  I actually didn't mind his first shoe other than the fact I went through it in one session

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:10:43 AM »
Never realized how much those AVEs look like bowling shoes.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
is that darker piece of the 3d insole plastic or gel? from the review it seems like it's plastic but is it really that stiff?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »
is that darker piece of the 3d insole plastic or gel? from the review it seems like it's plastic but is it really that stiff?
I think the material is likely the same hard plastic used for support (as opposed to cushioning) in the mid-sole of the  passport model, so not gel like at all.

FULTON

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
Wow another great one Art. I had the first rapid weld AVE and when I walked the end of that toe cap bent into my foot so bad after walking a mile at my local mall it made a huge slice. The fit was fine too but just the way it sat on my upper foot. I ended up selling them barely used for a huge loss.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
Great write-up! Appreciate the info.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:34:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think the material is likely the same hard plastic used for support (as opposed to cushioning) in the mid-sole of the  passport model, so not gel like at all.

it is HARD PLASTIC.  there's the light blue which is flexible, the darker blue which is firmer, but can move, and then there is the clear plastic which is extremely stiff.  I couldnt get it to bend with regular effort and I was sorta scared to crack em. 

yea, the insole is essentially a removable mid-sole and it supplies ALL of the support for the shoe.  without it, the shoe is a sock. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »
Thanks for this write-up, I really appreciate the time and money you put into these so we don't have to.
this! Interest is defs piqued for the Chima's now. Also those AVEs look 300x times better in the monotone colourways, check them all black joints out!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this! Interest is defs piqued for the Chima's now. Also those AVEs look 300x times better in the monotone colourways, check them all black joints out!
So annoying that the Chima is 98% canvas and then they put a leather logo and heel tab, almost as if to purposely spite the vegans.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
So annoying that the Chima is 98% canvas and then they put a leather logo and heel tab, almost as if to purposely spite the vegans.
oh really? That's what bugged me about his first shoe, like it doesn't even serve a fucking purpose!!! oh wells, I guess I'll just buy them blacked-out AVEs then if I really need to get my vans hit. State is my go to vulc company at the moment though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:00:19 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 79
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
I enjoy these reviews.

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:43 PM »
If that plastic insole actually works like a drop in midsole, this might be a pair of Vans I can skate.  I flexed a pair of Chima 2s at the Vans store and thought they felt a little firmer than standard pro skate stuff and now I see why.

I liked the Bruin hyperfeel a lot and you can basically roll that shoe up like a taquito without the burly insole in there. 

Possible bonus: dropping that insole into other pro skate shoes to stiffen them up? 

Here I go again thinking about skating Vans even though I’ve learned my lesson like 30 times.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 09:06:06 AM »
Nothing about the Chimas appeals to me except the insole, and I swore off Vans due to constant quality issues, but I want to try those insoles so badly I might buy them anyway. Also, these reviews are great - thanks for another one.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
Here I go again thinking about skating Vans even though I’ve learned my lesson like 30 times.

Honestly, I get something similar. Every so often I'll crave the grip and feel of Vans, have a mediocre time and forget about them for a bit.

Great review Art, but didn't that Ride channel guy say that one of the weak points of the AVE is the shoe over stretching and needing to soccer tighten them. Can you update on that if possible?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
Those white Chimas appeal to me in a big way. Probably not to skate in but sometimes I feel crazy. I have some of the AVEs and don't like them. Comfortable but so so so hot.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:32 PM »
I never liked how the AVE rapids creased at the toebox, it sort of dug into the top of my foot, so I stopped wearing them; also, given the way the eyelet row wraps around the front of the toebox, you can't really make them super tight if you don't fill out the shoe as the row will sort of buckle in the front.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:30:46 AM by Xen »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »
I never liked how the AVE rapids creased at the toebox, it sot of dug into the top of my foot, so I stopped wearing them; also, given the way the eyelet row wraps around the front of the toebox, you can't really make them super tight if you don't fill out the shoe as the row will sort of buckle in the front.
I've seen some horrible pics of them after the buckle/ bag out in the toe area too.

start watching from around 3:35 because this guy is pretty unbearable with his reviews...

asakusa75

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 03:34:36 AM »
Got some new Chimas today, they are super snug on. Look and feel pretty cool if you ask me...not 100% sold on a canvas shoe but thought I would give them a shot.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 03:05:30 AM »
I'm going to buy the Chimas online... Do they fit the same as the pro line Vans?

For, example, if I wear Sk8-Hi Pro and Old Skool Pro in 8.5 should I get the same in the Chimas?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
Expand Quote
I never liked how the AVE rapids creased at the toebox, it sot of dug into the top of my foot, so I stopped wearing them; also, given the way the eyelet row wraps around the front of the toebox, you can't really make them super tight if you don't fill out the shoe as the row will sort of buckle in the front.
[close]
I've seen some horrible pics of them after the buckle/ bag out in the toe area too.

start watching from around 3:35 because this guy is pretty unbearable with his reviews...
i think they only bag out that much if you buy shoes too big or rambo lace them. i really liked this shoe, held up really well, and im not a vans person at all.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
I'm going to buy the Chimas online... Do they fit the same as the pro line Vans?

For, example, if I wear Sk8-Hi Pro and Old Skool Pro in 8.5 should I get the same in the Chimas?

I tried a pair on and I would compare them to the Era or Slip On in terms of tightness in the toes. I always go for a 10 in those ones and a 9.5 in sk8 his or old skools, so if I were going for the Chima 2 myself I'd get a 10.

But then again the Chima 1 I wear a 9.5 too what the fuck do I know

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 12:44:28 PM »
id go with whatever size you wear in the Pros

beatifk

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 01:58:34 PM »
thanks shit_for_brains and art.

beatifk

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 01:03:02 AM »
Update:

Went to the shop and bought the Chima 2. I bought the 8.5 (same size I buy in most vans from the pro/skate stuff). I'd say they fit the same in length and width, but they feel tighter on the top of my foot as if they are shorter or flatter if that makes any sense. I hope as I skate them and break them in a bit they will loosen up a bit, but I like how solid they feel right out of the box.

Does anyone know why the blue ones are the only ones with the suede toe? I prefer the white or black ones, but I thought the suede toe was an important feature and I'm wondering why those colors are only canvas... seems like a fuck up.

asakusa75

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 06:32:23 AM »
Update:

Went to the shop and bought the Chima 2. I bought the 8.5 (same size I buy in most vans from the pro/skate stuff). I'd say they fit the same in length and width, but they feel tighter on the top of my foot as if they are shorter or flatter if that makes any sense. I hope as I skate them and break them in a bit they will loosen up a bit, but I like how solid they feel right out of the box.

Does anyone know why the blue ones are the only ones with the suede toe? I prefer the white or black ones, but I thought the suede toe was an important feature and I'm wondering why those colors are only canvas... seems like a fuck up.

Apparently Chima prefers canvas shoes....go figure?
He says it in one of the promotional videos for the new shoe, I forget which one.
Anyway, mine are holding up ok. Will definitely be trying suede ones next.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 11:28:33 AM »
yea, the insole is essentially a removable mid-sole and it supplies ALL of the support for the shoe.  without it, the shoe is a sock.

I'm really curious to how the shoe would feel with an after market pair of insoles. Maybe something on the stiffer side like the FP Gamechangers would somewhat keep the support?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm really curious to how the shoe would feel with an after market pair of insoles. Maybe something on the stiffer side like the FP Gamechangers would somewhat keep the support?

When I've done that with Vans it's about as comfortable as sleeping on the cement bench in jail BUT you have a mat that someone has only ripped 80% of the stuffing out of/