Author Topic: Old Girl/ Chocolate shapes  (Read 1264 times)

cricketclub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Old Girl/ Chocolate shapes
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »
So I've been skating for a long time and I have recently been sizing my board down closer to the early 2000's years. I  went down from a 8.25 to a 7.75 gradually. Currently I rock a Soup deck (Jason Spivey's co. out of Baltimore, MD) and it has a great shape. However, I still am looking for shapes like those I loved in the early 2000's: skinny, very little concave, and a big nose. I loved GIRL/ Chocolate boards for this reason. In those years I skated a 7.5 but 7.75 is about as skinny as I can skate now. I didn't skate from '06-'12 so I when I came back the revolution in gear left me a little disappointed. The types of shoes and boards I liked were completely out of fashion and hard to find. I started back on big boards but now I'm gradually going back to my roots.

I only buy boards at my local shop both to support and because I have to check the shapes. I haven't seen any boards that come close to GIRL or Chocolate from back in the day. Does anyone have tips I can tell my local shop owner? I'm looking for very little concave, 7.75, and a good nose.

I have been encouraged by the fact that it turns out quite a few of the late 90's early 2000's skaters still rock skinnier boards - Puleo and Crob to name two. (Anyone skated a Crob Chocolate 7.75?)

P.S. I have no hate for the current fashions, I'm just looking for some golden era gear. I'm looking to hear from folks who skated in the early 2000's and remember those flatter, skinnier boards.

Thanks
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Little Debbie

Re: Old Girl/ Chocolate shapes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:40:55 AM »
try the Girl 93 til Infinity series. Malto has a 7.75 that probably would work well. Toy Machine and Element also make a bunch of 7.75/7.8 that have relatively little concave and have more pointy tails like the older boards.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
Thanks Little Debbie! Yup... pointy tails. You know the shapes I'm talkin' about. Haha funny thing is Little Debbies are made in my town. Big up thanks homie!
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
So I've been skating for a long time and I have recently been sizing my board down closer to the early 2000's years. I  went down from a 8.25 to a 7.75 gradually. Currently I rock a Soup deck (Jason Spivey's co. out of Baltimore, MD) and it has a great shape. However, I still am looking for shapes like those I loved in the early 2000's: skinny, very little concave, and a big nose. I loved GIRL/ Chocolate boards for this reason. In those years I skated a 7.5 but 7.75 is about as skinny as I can skate now. I didn't skate from '06-'12 so I when I came back the revolution in gear left me a little disappointed. The types of shoes and boards I liked were completely out of fashion and hard to find. I started back on big boards but now I'm gradually going back to my roots.

I only buy boards at my local shop both to support and because I have to check the shapes. I haven't seen any boards that come close to GIRL or Chocolate from back in the day. Does anyone have tips I can tell my local shop owner? I'm looking for very little concave, 7.75, and a good nose.

I have been encouraged by the fact that it turns out quite a few of the late 90's early 2000's skaters still rock skinnier boards - Puleo and Crob to name two. (Anyone skated a Crob Chocolate 7.75?)

P.S. I have no hate for the current fashions, I'm just looking for some golden era gear. I'm looking to hear from folks who skated in the early 2000's and remember those flatter, skinnier boards.

Thanks

Check your DMs

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
Magenta does 7.75s too! never really rocked too many crailtap boards in my time but magenta shapes/ wood is good

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »
You could try a baker in the size that you like, just make sure it’s an og concave because that’s the flat one.

asakusa75

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
I ride the Craig G009 shape, Girl or Chocolate. Recently had the Malto 93, about to set up a Mike Mo.
They also have a 7.875, the G021, which is a little more pointy. Sometimes I mix it up and ride this...but for the most part G009s. Have a look on the Craigstore.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:26 AM »
I ride the Craig G009 shape, Girl or Chocolate. Recently had the Malto 93, about to set up a Mike Mo.
They also have a 7.875, the G021, which is a little more pointy. Sometimes I mix it up and ride this...but for the most part G009s. Have a look on the Craigstore.

Nice so the G009 and G021 have mellow concave?

asakusa75

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
They seem to have changed their concave recently, its a little steeper.
The jury is still out on if they have actually changed their wood or just the concave...personally I didnt mind the old concave, but they could be hit and miss at times. Anyway, try one and see. Like I said the G009 is my favourite.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
the new boards I saw in person are pretty flat with medium steep kicks. Also the boards look and feel thinner.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
There's a Jovantae out that's 7.5 x 31 I think. Would have shred the shit out of that in the late 90s into the early 00s.

I'm not sold on the bigger boards past 8.125 myself but I also have small feet. Will say that when I last had a 7.5 (last year) I could feel all landings. In a bad way. Ps I'm old though

ninetyOne Skateboards

• Rep: 0
    • ninetyOne avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
Hey.

I'm skating the Jovontae Girl reissue at the moment. 7.5 and flat as a pancake! I usually ride 8.0" boards with normal concave, but wanted to try this out to take me back to the early days.

It's a little weird at first, but I'd recommend this one if you're used to that shape!