Author Topic: Skate spots in Columbia, SC (and surrounding areas)  (Read 4997 times)

Poopsmitherson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Skate spots in Columbia, SC (and surrounding areas)
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »
I stepped on a board for the first time in 10 years about a month ago. It felt good. I’m getting back in the game. Just got a new setup and have been getting my feet back under me. Problem is, I moved to Lexington a few years ago, and I’ve never skated the area. I went to Owens Field Park a few days ago (super fun park), but I also want some street options.

Let’s get a running list of skate spots going for Columbia, West Columbia, Lexington, etc.

The library downtown Cola just built out a new section and has a 4-step with a rail that looks like it has a lot of potential (though I’m sure it will be hard to skate there and not get kicked out).

There’s a low ledge on Main (the block between Lady and Washington) that’s clearly been skated before (waxed up).

Where else can you point me?

shark tits

Re: Skate spots in Columbia, SC (and surrounding areas)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
i lived in Elgin for about a month. wasn't nothing out there but a Shell station and an under construction spot w/ manny pads and moveable ollie-able objects. lmk what you find, the girl baited me w/ pussy and tales of ordinary radness [i'm in columbia, SC. big city] which failed to materialize. i really wanted to explore the city.
post some pics if you can.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:36:42 PM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
I've lived in the area my whole life. There isn't a whole lot to be honest. You should make a trip to Aiken and check out HIC Warehouse before they close in April for sure.

Poopsmitherson

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:35:23 AM »
I've lived in the area my whole life. There isn't a whole lot to be honest. You should make a trip to Aiken and check out HIC Warehouse before they close in April for sure.

Even if there’s not a lot, what spots do you know of?

Stony Hawk

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »
In downtown Columbia, SC, there is a killer mini ramp located inside an old YMCA.  Shit is nice as fuck.  Go talk to David Toole at BluTile and ask for the lowdown.
EMAIL ME YOUR DANKEST NUGS

Poopsmitherson

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:32:13 AM »
In downtown Columbia, SC, there is a killer mini ramp located inside an old YMCA.  Shit is nice as fuck.  Go talk to David Toole at BluTile and ask for the lowdown.

That’s the dude I bought my wheels from the other day, and I asked him about spots. He told me about some ledges behind an old Kmart out on Two Notch, but that’s all he gave me. The old Y...are we talking it’s closed and you have to sneak in or it’s not a problem to get to?

Stony Hawk

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s the dude I bought my wheels from the other day, and I asked him about spots. He told me about some ledges behind an old Kmart out on Two Notch, but that’s all he gave me. The old Y...are we talking it’s closed and you have to sneak in or it’s not a problem to get to?

It’s a private thing amongst some OG cola skaters.  I’m not sure how well you know those dudes but be cool and hopefully you’ll get an invite.  The ramp is butterrrrr.
EMAIL ME YOUR DANKEST NUGS

Poopsmitherson

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

It’s a private thing amongst some OG cola skaters.  I’m not sure how well you know those dudes but be cool and hopefully you’ll get an invite.  The ramp is butterrrrr.
[close]

I gotcha. Well, I’m the meantime, and because I just started back up and am connected with zero skaters in the area, where are some accessible places you can point me? I drove around for probably an hour yesterday looking for new spots near where I live out In Lexington and found nothing. I wasprobably in the wrong areas, but I guess you have to search to know. Anyway, my skating time is limited with having two young kids, so I’m looking to skate in the time I have—not use it to search for spots and maybe find nothing, you know?

I can make the time to skate maybe twice a week if I’m lucky, and then for like an hour and a half tops. So I’m just looking to use that time to skate. Can you help me out with some more spots?
[close]

bo golden

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
go skate around USC, even though i'm sure it a bust.  rutledge building is super smooth, probably still a bust too.  sounds like your best bet is to just hit up the park if you have limited time. 

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
Hit up the Irmo Ditch beside the Columbiana mall I think its called.  Also the Rutledge building benches are a lot of fun on the weekend.  They are pretty rounded now but still a blast.  Like someone mentioned earlier, USC has a fair amount of spots, there is the three up and three down with an out ledge.  There are a lot of spots down there, its just they are all kind of far apart though.

Poopsmitherson

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
Hit up the Irmo Ditch beside the Columbiana mall I think its called.  Also the Rutledge building benches are a lot of fun on the weekend.  They are pretty rounded now but still a blast.  Like someone mentioned earlier, USC has a fair amount of spots, there is the three up and three down with an out ledge.  There are a lot of spots down there, its just they are all kind of far apart though.

Awesome. I saw something about the ditch earlier today but didn’t know where it was. Can you tell me more precisely where it is aside from by the mall?

And I was considering trying USC—saw some ledges driving by the other day—but it’s good to have a specific place to look. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:05:56 PM by Poopsmitherson »

Schmaltz

• Rep: -55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
What about asheville NC. Just moved here and i dont see anything.

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
What about asheville NC. Just moved here and i dont see anything.
i went there once in 09. place sucked shit. they had an outdoor public cement park they wanted $5 to skate. i bought a deck off some blond lady who ran a shop w/ her brother. there's a lot of that in the south, brother/sister, husband/wife, run shops.
think they have a diy now.

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
Went to USC for a semester my freshman year. The area surrounding it on the west end of campus has some fun little banks and parking garages, a few stair sets and tiny manny pads. Nothing special but its a fun hilly area to cruise around. If you start by the gym at the edge of campus (big ass one with all the pools and shit) and venture out like a 3-5 block radius you might find some gems. There used to be a little DIY on a house foundation in West Cola near the waffle house, but idk what's up with it now. Make regular appearances at Bluetile and you'll probably meet some good tour guides. Or ask around at Owens whenever you're there