Author Topic: Preserving Skate Spots  (Read 1611 times)

gaseous clay

Preserving Skate Spots
« on: June 13, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
This was mentioned in a more abstract way in another thread, but this product got me thinking about it again. Using something like this, you can digitize spaces, allowing them to be exactly recreated in whole or in part.

https://www.blk2go.com

Then comes the ethical discussion. Is their inevitable demise part of what makes places special? Can a skatepark company's recreation of a backyard pool or LA High or Love Park, Pulaski or EMB ever really compare, even if it is physically identical? Close enough to be worth it?

DanTheDoucher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
Re: Preserving Skate Spots
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
I would love to see what some of today's young skaters could do with the Love Gap, or Clipper, or Carlsbad, etc....

Making a park that is full of re-created legendary skate spots would be cool, in my opinion.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
I think it becomes kinda like Greta Van Fleet vs. real classic rock. You've taken away the essence, originality and magic of what made the original even if it's pretty much the same thing in theory.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »
LA courthouse is a perfect example as to why this isnt as good of an idea in practice as it is in theory. that place was a well known, heavily filmed at skate spot when it was illegal to skate there. Now its legal and its basically a skatepark. the only place courthouse clips make it anymore is instagram. sure the classics are being destroyed but are you gonna let that stop you from finding the next new coolest skate spot? 

rapscallion

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
Remember those Valedo Anhagabau ledges in Sao Paulo?

They just destroyed them and the 4miga guy's entire career has reportedly gone AWOL.

Fred Savage

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Crailtap remade the gonz gap for a contest a few years ago. Seemed smaller

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »
Tech Deck Hollywood 16, Hubba Hideout, and Love Park  :-\

FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Burnt_Reynolds

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »
Making a park that is full of re-created legendary skate spots would be cool, in my opinion.
This has to happen. Great idea.
Edit: Does Tech Deck make crackpipes to go with the hubba?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:04:28 AM by Burnt_Reynolds »

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This has to happen. Great idea.
Edit: Does Tech Deck make crackpipes to go with the hubba?

If they don't, they should re-think their business plan.
FUCK YOU

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 12:23:07 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily discourage the idea of re-creating the spots, however, we couldn't ever treat them as if they were the same as the original spot.

The experience of skating these spots wouldn't ever be the same as the original spot. At the real spot time and everything we do feels different because the clock is ticking and often every action is done under the threat of being kicked out.

Also, when a spot can only be accessed once a week or at odd hours that is going to change how we feel when we roll up to it. I mean at my home park I can do shit I can't do anywhere else, because I'm there all the time. I know how each obstacle feels and everything is very familiar.

Finally, I don't think the re-created spots would share the same imperfections (cracks, bumps, uneven surfaces, poor lighting, etc.), which make any trick done at the spot totally different.

Hell even contests at the authentic location are still a bit off. Back to the Berg had some amazing tricks, but putting the roll-in there made it a completely different place.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
They could make a Jurassic Park of old skate spots come back to life. Skaters would go there and see them in person and get hunted by the gnarliest ones like a velociraptor.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »
My dream spot as a kid was Sadlands. I'd go for a recreation.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »
They could make a Jurassic Park of old skate spots come back to life. Skaters would go there and see them in person and get hunted by the gnarliest ones like a velociraptor.

I'd visit for sure.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham